• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Obviously, this can also be applied if you land behind their shield. It looks sexy to pivot jab, as well.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
lol this thread is so active now. Was at a tourny in Quebec, sorry guys.

What'd I miss?
a critique on my best of 11, some drama, and a really in depth questionnaire by knight regarding approaching dd campers.
other than that, not much IIRC

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I went on a 5 tournament streak for the end of February and all through March. Weekend after Weekend, back-to-back, 2 American tournies, 3 Canadian ones.

Revival of Melee - 17th
Mass Madness 14 - 3rd
Prepare Yourself! - 1st
FFYF2 (in Quebec) - 1st
Starfurry 4 - 4th

I'm glad to be back and posting again though.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I like the sound of "PREPARE YOURSELF!"

i Thought starfurry 4 was in april?
Yea my bad, I meant 3. I was scrolling through the Starfurry 4 thread before I made that post.

hopefully we have another He-Man tourney.

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__ppA5gp7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfKKYqZMH_0

its a bit laggy.

put down the volume and just listen to your music i guess.

i need help with fox..

sometimes i dont know what to do against Marth.
I'll teach you when I come over on Friday :p

Milos

Smash Lord
raynex tips vs marth

jesus told me you can shine out of chaingrabs anywhere above 21%

how about gimps? just don't get tossed off the ledge?

I dunno help me son

FastFox

BRoomer
The shine must be accompanied with a good DI. I believe up and away at an angle?

One of Marth's main gimps is fthrow -> fsmash, so make sure you DI those fthrows away from Marth at higher percents to avoid the tipper. Be sure to mix up your recovery pattern. If you firefox, make sure to firefox above the sword at an angle where the tip can't clip you, or else you're boned. I believe the same can be said for being edgegaurded with counter. Just firefox at an angle where you'll land behind the counter or something, then using the lag to make your move. A lot of Marths will stop illusions by simply jabbing, then they'll dtilt. To get around this, you can try fastfalling right after the jab in hopes of avoiding the poke, then proceed to recover.

Marth's edgegaurding is sooo good. Obviously the best advice here is to mix up your DI and try not to get thrown or faired off the edge.

Marth is one of my favorite characters to waveshine, just because of the way he feels. He's also a perfect candidate for shine usmashes. I do most of these while running, because it's intimidating as **** to have a fox just run up to you and shine (this is also something i use in Fox dittos after FalseFalco handed me **** last week with it). Take advantage of Fox's speed. Full-hopped aerials can be trumped with a spaced nair or fair. Speaking of nairs, make sure you don't land on top of any, or else you'll be ****ed. Remember the uthrow -> uair, and a lot of usmashes.

As far as edgegaurding against Marth goes, it's pretty simple. Hang on ledge, drop down, bair, etc. If you do get hit good with Marth's recovery, just be ready to tech and you'll be fine.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
I went on a 6 tournament streak for the end of February and all through March. Weekend after Weekend, back-to-back, 2 American tournies, 4 Canadian ones.

Starfurry 3 - February 28th
Revival of Melee - 7th
Mass Madness 14 - 3rd
Prepare Yourself! - 1st
FFYF2 (in Quebec) - 1st
Starfurry 4 - 4th

I'm glad to be back and posting again though.
Fixed

10char

FastFox

BRoomer
Try to avoid using 10char. It's considered a censor dodge and I have to infract for it if it's used too much.

Keep it on the dl.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Oh and for style points, try the light shield edge guard.

I learned that one from PC, and I simply love gimping Marth with it.

To do it, simply roll to the very edge of the stage (with your back facing the recovering Marth). Put up your light sheild and angle it towards Marth. You can angle your shield with the analog stick.

If he hits your shield with his Up B, it will push Marth back a bit, and knock you off the stage and onto the ledge. Marth gets edge guarded.

Yay for gayness.

=P

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
umm problems with ice climbers, i just find it hard to play against ics when a missed l cancel can cost you a stock and this normally wouldnt be a problem but i sometimes find it hard to l cancel **** when it hits 2 light shields.

Tero.

Smash Champion
umm problems with ice climbers, i just find it hard to play against ics when a missed l cancel can cost you a stock and this normally wouldnt be a problem but i sometimes find it hard to l cancel **** when it hits 2 light shields.
Learn the timing with two shield then.
Don't miss l-cancel.

If that doesn't worl: kill nana.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
You should take two ICs and put on that Mario star item that makes them invulnerable and practice the timing it that way.

I don't enjoy fighting those two when I'm Fox, but I suppose its good for experience's sake.

battousai555

Smash Ace
For waveshine->upsmash, is it better to waveshine-> walk a little->upsmash or waveshine->dash->jc upsmash? I've always done the former, but I just started trying the latter today. HELP MEHHHZZ!

Lovage

Smash Hero
my favorite approach against climbers is dash into them and double shine. be ****ing ruthless off the ledge against nana. she is a CPU, learn her habits like the back of your hand and you will be able to "read" every one of her movements, especially of the ledge.

one of the best ways to deal with her recovery (sans popo) is getting her off and hanging on the ledge, then do a <100 getup attack, will hit her away like bowser and the popo might shield grab you but oh well, you just killed the nana. AND THATS WHAT MATTERS DOG

Lovage

Smash Hero
(responding to earlier pages, i didnt check this thread in a while)
one of the most important things to focus on while being chain grabbed, is don't ASSUME they're going to go for the uthrow every time. bad DI + missed tech on dthrow = tipper to edge guard. concentrate on their throw and dont assume ****.

i cringe when marths uthrow CG to 30 and then dthrow tipper because they aren't technical/confident enough to continue the combo, and you're too lazy to calculate all their options

PKSTkimo

Smash Cadet
i can shine to air (bair,nair,dair,uair) with falco prety good. But i can't do it with fox. My question is: what is the fastest way? Use the analog stick(to jump)+c-stick? or Y+A????

battousai555

Smash Ace
I agree. It would benefit your game more if you learned to get faster with the Y or X button and JC shine using those buttons to jump.
What buttons do YOU use to do shine->up-smash? Waveshine->walk->c-stick up? Waveshine->dash JC up-smash?

Brookman told me to just do whatever is most comfortable for me, but I'd like to know what you think is the easiest/most effective.

Edit: after watching one of your matches vs. Euphoria, I can conclude that you do waveshine->dash JC up-smash. If this is correct, this is what I will begin practicing.

FastFox

BRoomer
I do everything analog and with the A button. I've never used the c-stick for anything other than u-smashing out of my shield.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
i can shine to air (bair,nair,dair,uair) with falco prety good. But i can't do it with fox. My question is: what is the fastest way? Use the analog stick(to jump)+c-stick? or Y+A????
if you shine bair with fox it's also important with where on your shine you hit...you gotta be fast and you gotta position them on the top + right/left cornor of your shine so it hits them up and to your back for the bair

PCHU

Smash Lord
if you shine bair with fox it's also important with where on your shine you hit...you gotta be fast and you gotta position them on the top + right/left cornor of your shine so it hits them up and to your back for the bair
I was wondering how people did that.
But, besides racking up damage, of what use is this?
Is it a good killer?
Or is there no specific use for it?

Also, should I SHL against DK, CF, and Peach?
Or would SHDL be a better choice?
Or are they both situational?

Also, is there a good way to practice shield pressure?

And finally, why (and possibly when) dashdance?
I mean, it looks nice and all, but it doesn't really seem to throw anyone off.
Or, it doesn't from my perspective.

Sorry for the many questions, I just want to make sure I know Fox thoroughly.
I'd hate to apply something in the wrong way and get punished.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
I was wondering how people did that.
But, besides racking up damage, of what use is this?
Is it a good killer?
Or is there no specific use for it?

Also, should I SHL against DK, CF, and Peach?
Or would SHDL be a better choice?
Or are they both situational?

Also, is there a good way to practice shield pressure?

And finally, why (and possibly when) dashdance?
I mean, it looks nice and all, but it doesn't really seem to throw anyone off.
Or, it doesn't from my perspective.

Sorry for the many questions, I just want to make sure I know Fox thoroughly.
I'd hate to apply something in the wrong way and get punished.
Regarding the SHL V.S. SHDL If I had to pick one I said use SHL. Its faster (because you can fast fall it, unlike SHDL) and makes you look more fluid, in my opinion. But if you can do SHDL, then I don't see any problem using it sparingly.

You basically want to shoot a character who is pretty far away from you. Obviously you don't want approach with your short hop lasers Falco style. The point is to rack up damage and make your foe come to you. You also have to keep in mind the your enemy's speed. Shooting a Falcon or Marth is risky because both can stop you in a heartbeat. So just remember to stop shooting when your foe gets a little too close. Me personally, against Falcon I simply chase him down with nair/dair to waveshines.

A good way to practice shield pressuring is simply being able to SHFFL aerial to shine/waveshine after your aerial hits a shield. To get the feeling of it put on the mario star item thing that makes enemy's invulnerable and practice your SHFFL game while a character of your choosing is all glittery.

Dashing dancing is indeed situational. Its kind of tough to explain when/when not to do it. You simply get a better idea the more you play, but I will try and explain. Rule number one...dash dancing is useless when there is a massive gap/distance between you and your foe. The ideal spot depends on who you are fighting. For Marth, you want to dashdance just outside Marth's tipper range. Against others like Peach or Ganon, just simply do it in and out of their attack range.

The point of dash dancing is to make the enemy "whiff" out an attack. SO when you dashdance they may spot dodge. When you see them spot dodge, run at them and grab. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom