• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Desh

Smash Ace
Its really easy o_o
i have a bunch of vids i can/should upload but im lazy.
Lol, only reason i made myself get better at wd oos was cuz of steve, and KK being all like 'NOOB DO IT NOW'

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Use both triggers.

Also, spot-dodge > D-Smash works against Marf somehow. I usually even have a few frames of time to turn around, if need be, after the spot-dodge.
I think his grab must be super slow, or something.
Hmm. *Looks at frame data*
Na. Marth's grab is normal. Infact, his dashing grab comes out 1 frame faster than normal.

Yeah, drephen is on uber mindgames, but still for the most part, lots of spotdodging == bad.
I wouldnt say that as much as he understands that alot of characters dont actually have a move to beat spotdodging and alot of people dont expect a multiple spotdodges.

If soembody wants to, they literally can do the same thing with doc (and actually a good bit of the cast)
I can do it because of punishing marths? Too good, f-smashing tier whores XD
Yeah, that's one thing that makes the marth matchup do-able. Any blocked f.smash that's not tipper = punishment. I normally do D.smash or grab, but I was messing around with upsmash yesterday. I have to gerry-rig (LOL YES HAVENT HEARD THAT WORD IN YEARS) a controller to f.smash then block and see if its possible to punish with wavedash -> u.smash.

Cause if it works, so help me God I'ma start puttin n***as in break mode for f.smashin my shield.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Its really easy o_o
i have a bunch of vids i can/should upload but im lazy.
Lol, only reason i made myself get better at wd oos was cuz of steve, and KK being all like 'NOOB DO IT NOW'
Every time I don't do D-smash right inside your shield to get all 3 hits on it, you should wait a bit and WD OoS and grab me into some BS chain grab gayness or at the very least D-smash -- wait why am I explaining myself?

NOOB DO IT NOW

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Doc vs Ganon is basically Doc runs away and then eventually he gets punched in the face (or grabbed comboed into a punch to the face) and realizes his pain killers aren't fast acting enough.

It's not too bad though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It's even imo.

Ganon can keep Doc out, but that's his only real option. It's not like it's a bad option, but somethings doc "doesnt have an answer for", such as retreating f.air. (I have to mess around with some things, I think I have a way to get something out of a ganon retreating f.air).

But doc gets in, doc gets combos. MORE COMBOS THAN YOU HAVE ROOM FOR! TURBO COMBOS! Plus, Doc can throw pills and actually force ganon to do something, which is hard for ganon to do. His best option vs pills is the default best option; just go around them. He cant really come through them. (He's actually big/slow enough that he has a hard time running under Doc who only FH Pill).

Edgeguarding ganon? For the most part it's just pick where he's going to be and b.air, cape if he up+bs. But ganon can actually defend himself on recovery (and do it well). so you have to make sure he doesnt have another option or else you can catch something hilarious like a d.air.

--edit--
*Looks at kirbykaze*
LOLOLOLOLOL I wish.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
ganon doesnt want to run in on doc, that's the point. He can just stay at range and space.

He comes in past midrange, he's liable to get grabbed, which at the least can get him chaingrabbed. He can catch an u.smash, which gets him comboed. Doc calls an aerial with d.air, that leads to combos. There's not too much of a reason for ganon to go in on doc.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
doc dies in like 2 hits, garbage ganons have given me more trouble than they should so its definitely not a 'good' matchup. the best strat is to run at him and do rising upairs. lol

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ok, garbage ganons give you problems.

Garbage ganons get turned into combo videos by me.

It's even.

DONE!

-starts doin the "white people point" dance-

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, garbage ganons=punching bags, and as I can't combo well, that's saying something XD

I'd say it might be even, may be like 6-4 ganon, but remember, 6-4 isn't 9-1. It's pretty ****ing even... no matter what smash players tell you XD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
AIGHT,

first and foremost, bossmagnet is finally putting up some hilarious vids from FAST1 (yeah, last summer i know).

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDvPmBrW8zg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDvPmBrW8zg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's me beatboxing while Shiz, Speedn, PB&J, and DJN do some dancing.

I hope she uploads the freestyle vids.

___

As for doc/ganon stages.

You dont want to give ganon a top platform. Ganon has a hard time running under pills because of how he runs (which is very vertical compared to marth and ciel~~eer, sheik. XD).

With that being said, FD, PS, and (believe it or not) Corneria are real good vs ganon. (PS works because, even though it changes often, a majority of the stage is in neutral).

Realistically any stage with a top platform is bad because doc takes forever to attack a top platform, and it's not safe vs ganon (you try just about anything and you're asking to get stomped). So I could argue against any stage, but realisitcally any stage with a high platform is trouble.

The only thing you have to stop him from going up there is to cut him off before he gets there. To be more specific, you actually have to cut him before he starts to go up, because his double jump is quick and high enough to cover the space below him. Once he gets up there, its usually in your best interest to back off. He cant do anything to you up there, but he can basically stop you from getting up to him if he wants to. (you actually have one option of up+bing and then falling back down).

anthony000

Smash Journeyman
Uh, something about Doc. I really think dash attack is great. Maybe that's noobish to say, but Doc's dash attack sets up so much stuff it's ridiculous. I'm not saying spam it, but throwing one out as a change up in approach can really mess people up. Sometimes I fall into this "When all else fails, dash attack" mentally during matches, and it gets me destroyed. But once you've hit with one dash attack and then completed the **** that should come after that (its all about reading the DI), people with be mad worried about it, and that leads to even more mindgame induced ****. It also goes under shields on some characters if they don't angle the shield down. Most of the time they won't because they don't even see it coming. Alright, someone (dogy) correct me or elaborate or some sh*t.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
awwwww yea. anthony knows whats goin on. no need to elaborate. dash attack rules i use it a lot. you are on your way to becoming a great doc :)

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Depends who you are playing.
All you have to do to punish a DA is light shield or aim it low.
Free grabs.
Against my brother, whom I play against every day, I rarely use it because he knows how to punish it.
Against anyone else, it's probably my second most-used launcher.

But, even then, you have to be almost 100% certain it will land because it's rather high on the cool down.

On the other, other hand, it does poke shields rather easily, and it's usually a safe bet against someone shielding.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Dash attack is aight.
-Good for extending combos (like, in a situation where you cant do any kind of u.air, because dash attack comes out lower)
-Recovery is inverse to spacing (the better you space it, the lower the recovery is)
-Good for edgeguarding
-Tech crouch (smash terms: it moves your hurt box lower.) About equal to Doc's crouch.
-Links into combos at certain percents (i.e. - dash-a -> grab, dash-a->d.smash, etc etc.

It's not like, the greatest dash attack in the world, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
shiz has got flow

i saw that vid of him in the walgreens parking lot 2
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W_Epn9tnAlU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W_Epn9tnAlU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

N***er's just a lil too **** technical. XD

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
DaShizWiz and DJN's Bowser are awesome dancers. But I'm gonna bring the topic back to Doc so I can talk about myself/mydoc.

I finally found a group of experienced people who are significantly better than me to play against on a regular basis. And I've finally been shown just how horrible Captain Falcon is for Doc. I have never been destroyed as many times in a row with Doc as I have against Falcon. I can do nothing against him but triple bair him off the stage. I'll let you know if I ever beat a Falcon in the group I play with, and what I did. I only won one match and I think it was because the dude was sick of playing me. Stupid anecdote, but even though I lost a lot of matches at this smashfest last night, I have NEVER felt more good about my Doc. I'm starting to get consistent at least, and I feel good enough to not get last place in tournies now.</boring human interesting story>

I got away with a LOT stupid stuff, mostly against Marth players. I usmashed and fair'd a lot. Got BIG rewards. I triple faired some Marth. I felt like Captain Falcon. I also messed around a lot with cape and upsmash. The upsmash approach against Sheik/Marth got me much better rewards than I thought it would. I didn't spam it, but it tended to be safe when I tried it. I also jump backwards>cape>usmash'd a few aerial approaches on quite a lot of different characters. I caped a few shields and got some hits from the confusion. That works especially well when people want to sheild grab you. Free grab. I throw out the cape SO much more after doing that frame data thing. It's SO safe if you space it.

Next time I smash with this group I'll try to remember more specific things I did so you experienced docs can tell me if the **** I do actually works well, or if I'm just mad lucky.

Right now I just want your opinions on caping shields and standing opponents. Also I want you all to mess around a lot more with the cape for things other than screwing recoveries. It hits EVERYWHERE and confuses the hell out of people. lol Doc Homework. Lemme know how nooby I am in the next posts.

Shroomed

Smash Master
caping shields is an excellent idea, as long as you dont do it all the time

they won't punish it unless they're expecting it from my experience

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Whose doggy?
Looks like a boxer.
<3 boxers.

Click for fullsize

Im the corny lookin guy on the right. Guy on the left is $mashmac, guy in the back/middle is xYz.

I look like a boxer? XD Man im so out of shape it's not even funny.
DaShizWiz and DJN's Bowser are awesome dancers. But I'm gonna bring the topic back to Doc so I can talk about myself/mydoc.

I finally found a group of experienced people who are significantly better than me to play against on a regular basis. And I've finally been shown just how horrible Captain Falcon is for Doc. I have never been destroyed as many times in a row with Doc as I have against Falcon. I can do nothing against him but triple bair him off the stage. I'll let you know if I ever beat a Falcon in the group I play with, and what I did. I only won one match and I think it was because the dude was sick of playing me. Stupid anecdote, but even though I lost a lot of matches at this smashfest last night, I have NEVER felt more good about my Doc. I'm starting to get consistent at least, and I feel good enough to not get last place in tournies now.

I got away with a LOT stupid stuff, mostly against Marth players. I usmashed and fair'd a lot. Got BIG rewards. I triple faired some Marth. I felt like Captain Falcon. I also messed around a lot with cape and upsmash. The upsmash approach against Sheik/Marth got me much better rewards than I thought it would. I didn't spam it, but it tended to be safe when I tried it. I also jump backwards>cape>usmash'd a few aerial approaches on quite a lot of different characters. I caped a few shields and got some hits from the confusion. That works especially well when people want to sheild grab you. Free grab. I throw out the cape SO much more after doing that frame data thing. It's SO safe if you space it.

Next time I smash with this group I'll try to remember more specific things I did so you experienced docs can tell me if the **** I do actually works well, or if I'm just mad lucky.

Right now I just want your opinions on caping shields and standing opponents. Also I want you all to mess around a lot more with the cape for things other than screwing recoveries. It hits EVERYWHERE and confuses the hell out of people. lol Doc Homework. Lemme know how nooby I am in the next posts.
See, I keep tellin people about Doc/Falcon. It's kinda dumb. It's really not as bad as I used to make it out to be (you just have to know some things about the matchup), but it's one that you really "cant play the same".

1) Capfal is, using traditional terms, a rushdown character. The important thing to note about this is that for him to EVER do anything to you, he has to be close to you.

2) Capfal's movement speed cant be beat. That's the one thing of his character you dont want to challange (i.e., you dont challenge fox's ability to keep pressure, you dont challenge marth's control at mid range). You dont want to challenge capfal's speed.
- What that really means is that you dont want to challenge his ability to run from you and for him to catch you. You still have to actually TRY to move to give him a moving target. If he's going to space a n.air, you still have to challenge him spacing it properly (by cutting it off if it's long, moving if it's short, whatever you strat is), but if he's freely moving around, you cant really do anything to stop him immediately. (You have to work to corner and cut him off)

3) Going more off of his speed, understand that his first option for defense is going to be evasion. Meaning, if he whiffs something in your face, he's more likely to move than he is to attack; and then more likely to attack than put his shield up. Regardless of what he does for defense, it will more often than not have some sort of evasion (read: movement) tagged into it.
-With this in mind, understand that if he's going to move out, you're at liberty to move behind him and take a better position (which would be close to him). Capfal doesnt want you close to him. NOBODY wants you close to them. But again, you cant specifically CHASE falcon down, so you have to move in bit by bit and just keep him contained.

4)
Everybody talks about DIing away, do it. DI every ****ing thing he does away except for something you expect to kill you (or something he cant follow up on, such as a f.smash). Understand that at certain times he can follow up, but it's a hell of alot harder if you actually DI away. XD

caping shields is an excellent idea, as long as you dont do it all the time

they won't punish it unless they're expecting it from my experience
Oh hell yeah. I've been f**kin around with it for a while. Works wonders on characters with a horrible b.air and j.side-b.

And then Doc has immediate Capedashing? Awww yeah

That's the main thing I love about Doc's cape compared to Mario's.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I've pretty much given up vs Captain Falcon.. The matchup is more like.. trying to find that glimpse of opportunity to get a grab, or else your just fending him off. That's all i've ever gotten from it.

Tri state's falcons = hax + scar.. Whenever I play them its like a tragic car accident in the end

Question: I dont chaingrab enough, is this a serious problem these days or what.. I really want to know your opinions, sorry for a dumb question.

otg

Smash Master
Note to the rest of the Docs:

Play Sheik. She's like the better version of Doc and can do all the same ****. Better matchups overall, faster, better range, drastically better recovery, VERTICAL KO options. I'm just saying.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Sheik can go suck a potato.
Capfal is where it's at.

Also, Doc vs Capfal is pretty much my favorite match-up next to spacies.

Also, also, that was a bad joke, Dogy.

Also, also, also, you now have me saying Capfal, Dogy.
I used to just say Falcon.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Note to the rest of the Docs:

Play Sheik. She's like the better version of Doc and can do all the same ****. Better matchups overall, faster, better range, drastically better recovery, VERTICAL KO options. I'm just saying.
Yeah, and her "pills" (needles) are much faster and have higher priority, they're just a little less flexible in some aspects

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
doggys hot
anyways

so im currently playing mario way more than doc
for basically 1 reason
mario can aerial>utilt and throw out a perfect combo trajectory
i notice when i do this with doc his utilt has a totally different knock back

so i was just wondering if theres a way to get around it
anything that sets up for sex combos like mario

otg

Smash Master
Hey Docs.
Should we help Wordjem with his "mtach-up chart"?
There's no point, he somehow thinks that Doc v Jiggly is a bad matchup for Doc. That whole matchup chart is ******** and will probably not go anywhere just like pretty much all other matchup charts out there. Also, I don't like the way it is layed out. He has certain matchups at 100-0, and I'm sorry but no such matchup exists besides MAYBE Bowser vs. Sheik on FD.

Nuff said.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
doggys hot
anyways

so im currently playing mario way more than doc
for basically 1 reason
mario can aerial>utilt and throw out a perfect combo trajectory
i notice when i do this with doc his utilt has a totally different knock back

so i was just wondering if theres a way to get around it
anything that sets up for sex combos like mario
The first half (Not exact, but you get the point) of the U-Tilt sends them mostly sideways-ish, but if you hit them with the second "Half" (When his fist gets really big), it will send them straight up.

So if the problem is with timing, you just need to work on throwing it out a little earlier. Otherwise, you would be better off, instead of U-Tilting after an aerial, to (Jab >) Grab > U/D-Throw first. Then, U-Tilt.

EDIT: POST 1111, LOLLLLS

Top Bottom