• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I think i'm going to revamp and revise my entire argument for why Doc isn't good.

It will focus mainly around how they actually have to play strategically and smart to beat characters as bad as Roy.
well you need to think about how your character apparently only needs 2 moves to beat characters and still manages to drop sets!

HAHA

raynex and vwinz for canadian..... presidents/monarchs/prime ministers/kings/whatever in the **** they have up there.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
lolz

idk bernard and vincent are better than me

same with a whole lot of people from canada, i just get lucky randomly and then when my luck runs out i lose and get owned really badly

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
I thought about this the day the Ken Flowchart came out (and shortly after seeing the Ciel Flowchart, that **** is pretty epic). I was going ot make a serious one, but I was like "Well........ im still not a believer of cookie cutting doc so...."
Never mind that.
Some dickhole name Vyse already made one.
And it sucks. Not one mention of a dunk anywhere.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, reverse upB Oos is great vs marth, as you can actually shield against him without being as ***** as against fox/falco/peach. Also, it's great against jiggz, as the first hit sends her far enough away to let you recover, even on DL.

Vs roy, treat the matchup like a slow marth player. Bait d-tilts, and f-air the *****. Or dash attack-jab. His jump->fair isn't as fast, and it clashes with all ground moves except sweetspot f-smash and perhaps dancing blade (I think--haven't played roys in awhile).

F-air to grab works at low perent (on both him and marth), and also, remember the invisible ceiling hen countered ^_^

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
I have a Question Vs Sheik

Lets say your going up to do a full hopped Dair on her and she shields and grabs when you hit the ground. Is that grab free? like is their nothing for me to do if I knew that grab was coming? I try to DI away and bait her grab but That somehow doesn't work for me and she always ends up grabbing.

And I'm also wondering you you guys's Docs do in tournaments? Every tourney Ive been to people would always switch to falcon If I win the first match. My doc can hold its own, but I swear Doc has literally nothing over him lol. (besides edgeguarding/ cging with combos out maybe?)

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer

Lets say your going up to do a full hopped Dair on her and she shields and grabs when you hit the ground. Is that grab free? like is their nothing for me to do if I knew that grab was coming? I try to DI away and bait her grab but That somehow doesn't work for me and she always ends up grabbing.

And I'm also wondering you you guys's Docs do in tournaments? Every tourney Ive been to people would always switch to falcon If I win the first match. My doc can hold its own, but I swear Doc has literally nothing over him lol. (besides edgeguarding/ cging with combos out maybe?)
don't fast fall the full hop dair so you can jump out of it/do another aerial to jab on their shield.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Never mind that.
Some dickhole name Vyse already made one.
And it sucks. Not one mention of a dunk anywhere.
Well excuuuuuuse me Princess.
Nobody's stopping you from making a better one ;)
Get name search ***** vulcan. XD IM NOT GUNNA DEFEND YOU IF VYSE WANTS TO UNLEASH A COMBO. XD

To some degree, it depends on when you do it. If you D.air as you go up, you can actually slide a n.air or u.air in there, so that they cant grab you at that point. If you try to make your d.air auto cancel (or l cancel it in their face), yes that's punishable...

..just do like everybody says and dont land in their face.
Um.... what? Are you asking what Doc does vs Capfal?

And on the note of weird, rare matchups, I asked about game and watch 2 pages ago...
Oh, that one's kinda funny.

First and foremost, this is (imo) the only matchup in the game where port priority changes the match. If you're a higher port, g&w will bounce from your d.throw like normal. If you're lower, he'll just stick to the ground like g&w vs alot of characters. (Super Gaylay Bros).

In this matchup, g&w can be as light as he wants, and he can have as terrible of a shield as he wants; he beats doc's range pretty well. So with that being said, he actually can do fairly well to keep doc out.

If he's coming in with an aerial, you probably dont want to challenge it. You're not going to beat his d.air. If he comes in with a f.air, you might be able to catch him with a f.tilt or u.tilt if you call bad spacing. Same thing with b.air, although you generally have more time to punish that.

As you come in on g&w, you have to fake and mixup how you're coming in. He realistically has an answer to everything you want to try. The best way to get in is coming over a d.tilt, imo; but note that if you telegraph a jumpin, he's liable to u.tilt or retreating f.air.

The one thing you have to really avoid against g&w is getting off the stage. His recover is good enough (read: goes high enough) to where he can chase you pretty far out and stop doc's recovery. As long as he guesses right, there's not too much you can do to stop him.

On the other side of it, when you're edgeguarding g&w, understand that him going "low" is pretty much lower than anything you've probably ever seen. If he's close to the ledge, he can back you off with a f.air, but if he's coming from any distance you still have to hang around longer than usual to look for a ss.

Dunk his ***. It's like dunkin jiggs, but you get that awesome NEE-NEE-NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE when you hit. XD

Shroomed

Smash Master
dogy/other ppl

go watch me vs zelgadis' sheik and tell me what i did wrong

G&W is ****in gay to play against as doc
but fair>jab almost breaking his shield is koo

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I watched them earlier, and I was going to leave some comments cause you werent on aim.

And then I got distracted by some posts on here.

I remember that you landed in front of zel too **** much. XD

I'll watch again and leave some stuff.

Shroomed

Smash Master
yea, otg

i used to like it, and then i started playing vs good shieks lol
yea, i probably got grabbed WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too much

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^yeah, really good shieks are a pain. I console myself that they'd prolly be doing well against me anyways, as I don't make matchups specific mistakes, just some pretty dumb basic ones.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I know I'm late for this, but vs Roy, his optimal range is actually tipper range for b/dtilt, or 3/4 fair range.

There were a few other misconceptions (his recovery really isn't that bad), but one thing I didn't see mentioned that NEEDS to be done vs Roy is CC. Seriously, CC ruins his entire game. If you don't CC, Roy can take down a good chunk of the cast. With it, though, he becomes a TERRIBLE character, getting punished for even his best moves. His only safe option vs you below 50% is grab.

blazblue/kofXII is going to be pro.
sfiv is okay but pretty noob & unbalanced in comparison to arc system's games and the KOF series.

doctor mario vs. roy
Whaaaaat? SFIV is scrub compared to the KoF series? The series that allows U. Rugal IN TOURNAMENT?

...Whaaaaaaaaaat?

No, that's ********.
Yuna knows more about competitive gaming than 90% of the Brawl community.
And less than 90% of the old Melee community. Yuna is scrub. He only seems intelligent to people that failed reading comprehension tests geared towards primary school students.

And Brawl players.

learning SF to learn the basics of 2D fighters never works as well as people think. Learning SF to learn Capcom and SNK 2-D fighters is fine, but even then it doesnt cover alot of things.
It provides fundamentals, not a how to play every fighting game ever. Unless you're playing 3s. That kinda disregards the basis behind SF.

I stopped playing GG for like... 3 months. Played HDR/SFIV for about 1 1/2, went to FR this year, and my Zappa was actually doing alright against a good chunk of people. There was a Baiken player that beat me, and that's about it. But that was friendlies, and there were a LOT of scrubs in both GG and SFIV there. I kinda wished I entered those tournaments. D:

a lot more stuff
Yeah, I'm not too hyped for BB. It looks too slow for my tastes. KoFXIII is lookin' mighty fine to me. Just give me Rock and I'll be happy, srsly.

I wanna discuss game mechanics and all that shiz more, but I need to get going.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@macman--I am in fact pretty good friends w/ him. Don't get to play him much, but beat him pretty hard when we play ^__^

His ledgegame is mad good though (It's like we've both learned from some awesome sheik user from newton, idk =P)

I've only beaten nuro like once ever though (before either of us were good like 4 years ago now), though haven't played him in melee recently...

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
@macman--I am in fact pretty good friends w/ him. Don't get to play him much, but beat him pretty hard when we play ^__^

His ledgegame is mad good though (It's like we've both learned from some awesome sheik user from newton, idk =P)

I've only beaten nuro like once ever though (before either of us were good like 4 years ago now), though haven't played him in melee recently...
You should go play ArcNasty, he lives off the wellington stop.

edit: Lets talk doc dittos

Shroomed

Smash Master
Doc dittos are all about the dsmashing and bairs

throw a few fairs in and some mindgame tricks too
dogy, do i spot dodge too much?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I beat arc last couple times I played him ^_^ (though he was rusty), and ***** team friendlies together 2 MM ago XD.

doc dittos:

gimp him whenever possible. d-throw b-air works wonders, and f-air pills >_>

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Doc dittos are all about the dsmashing and bairs

throw a few fairs in and some mindgame tricks too
dogy, do i spot dodge too much?
Lol. Play green mario or smashmac in some doc dittos and see what you think about it.

Really, doc dittos are the only dittos in the game with no actual "gimmick" to it. It really comes down to who vs who.

__
Here's my opinion about spotdodging/rolling.

1) Did you do it? Yes/no
2) Did you get punished for trying it? Yes/No
3) Did you get punished as you came out of it? Yes/no

If all 3 of those are not yes, you did something wrong.

__

What struck me as odd as how many times you tried ledgehop f.air. Heck, i think it's odd how many times you guys tried to punish each other with f.air period. It doesnt work. Doc's f.air isnt that good.

I will say one thing, for a "Lebron vs Kobe" match, neither one of you guys dunked.

Wack.

__

I didnt really watch to critique those as much as i just got some popcorn and enjoyed the show.

I get my fill of doc dittos anytime i play somebody. It's never the same. XD

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Whaaaaat? SFIV is scrub compared to the KoF series? The series that allows U. Rugal IN TOURNAMENT?

...Whaaaaaaaaaat?
what the....?
U. Rugal is in one game (Capcom vs. SNK 2) in which 1. I think he wasn't even broken, but I haven't played that game in ages and 2. I don't see him on the tier list so....

Shroomed

Smash Master
I dunno, I think spotdodging needs to be used very sparingly. You do it enough times and you get ***** for it. Just my opinion though.
yea i get ***** sometimes bcuz of it

everytime i dsmashed darkmike's shield he'd WD up to me, wait for me to spot dodge then dsmash me

happened like 3 times

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I dunno, I think spotdodging needs to be used very sparingly. You do it enough times and you get ***** for it. Just my opinion though.
There's a guy who wants to talk to you.

He goes by the name of drephen.

And for the record, doc's spotdodge = sheik's spotdodge. Take that info how you will.

__

edit:
and oh, shroomed. If he waited for you to spotdodge, that's courtesy. Doc/Samus works like this, whoever gets pissed and d.smashes first usually GETS downsmashed.

NOW SEE IF YOU COULD WAVEDASH OOS, YOU COULD PUNISH SAMUS D.SMASH LIKE A BOSS.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Use both triggers.

Also, spot-dodge > D-Smash works against Marf somehow. I usually even have a few frames of time to turn around, if need be, after the spot-dodge.
I think his grab must be super slow, or something.

Top Bottom