• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Errm, is anyone else having trouble with the model viewer in Windows 7? It used to run like a dream on my old xp which had worse hardware, and now its really sluggish. Are there any tips on how to get it to not be a slow pos?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Errm, is anyone else having trouble with the model viewer in Windows 7? It used to run like a dream on my old xp which had worse hardware, and now its really sluggish. Are there any tips on how to get it to not be a slow pos?
I think its just you. Try setting your battery power to high performance.

Fen__

Smash Ace
I think its just you. Try setting your battery power to high performance.
Battery settings are completely customizable; there may be huge differences or next to no differences between those settings on his comp.

Also, if Eldiran's suggestion doesn't work, Windows 7 have compatability mode options that you could toy with if you're really convinced it's OS-related.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Try checking Windows update for updated Display drivers. You mostly likely don't have drivers installed, since 3d models tend to lag badly without display drivers.

Edit: Performance settings have absolutely nothing to with displaying 3dmodels.

mktoosh

Smash Rookie
Do u need the brawl ISO to get into all that shizze? or can you open a pac,psc,brstm,etc file?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Try checking Windows update for updated Display drivers. You mostly likely don't have drivers installed, since 3d models tend to lag badly without display drivers.

Edit: Performance settings have absolutely nothing to with displaying 3dmodels.
This. I updated from Vista to 7 and it was running laggy, so I figured my drivers got un-updated somehow, so I updated my graphic card drivers and now it works like a charm again.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
kryal, when do you think the next update will be? ive been not hacking brawl till something awesome happens

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I'm never going to have custom menus if I have to change that many frames individually for each object. Gradients in CLR0s. Please.

Also, it would be really great if CLR0s could be previewed on the objects as animations. It's hard to guess what part of the object is affected by what CLR0s without testing it in the game. And it would just be really convenient. You are awesome.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I'm never going to have custom menus if I have to change that many frames individually for each object. Gradients in CLR0s. Please.

Also, it would be really great if CLR0s could be previewed on the objects as animations. It's hard to guess what part of the object is affected by what CLR0s without testing it in the game. And it would just be really convenient. You are awesome.
You can do gradient CLR0's, I've done it many times before. Click the first one, then scroll to the last one and Ctrl+Shift+Click, then proceed to edit your colors.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I wish I was more experienced in things like this....

.reff files (Misc Data[1]) in FitCharacter.pac seem to look like a chunked archive within an archive.

Wait, You can do gradient Clr0's? Cool.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Something is definitely wrong with the calculations between keyframes. I told BrawlBox that it had 22 frames to go from 270 Z-rotation to 360. It went up to 750 and back down to 360 in those 22 frames. WTH.
Like I said before, put two keyframes next to each other to get linear movement. Tangents are generated for each keyframe based on the previous AND next keyframes. That, and every KF only has one tangent so it won't be even. The program generates the curve so you don't have to. When the anim editor is redone this can be changed manually.

Kryal, a really minor problem, but Brawlbox doesn't put the .brstm ending on certain songs, even when I make sure .brstm BRSTM Raw Audio is selected...it's not a big deal, just figured I'd let you know. Most of the problem deals with punctuation at the end of song names
Oh, the end of the file name? That makes sense because it cuts of extensions when the file is imported. Give an example?

Download updated drivers. MS doesn't always have the best OpenGL drivers. That and try disabling Aero/themes.

-----------------------------------

So, I've been out of town the last week and haven't had a chance to work on models. I'm picking up where I left off and am decoding the Material/Shader commands. Those seem to be the biggest challenge, so when that's done the rebuilder will be a breeze (I hope).

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Like I said before, put two keyframes next to each other to get linear movement. Tangents are generated for each keyframe based on the previous AND next keyframes. That, and every KF only has one tangent so it won't be even. The program generates the curve so you don't have to. When the anim editor is redone this can be changed manually.
That didn't help. I had it set up like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

And it still managed to jump from 10 to 210ish and back down to 40. @_@

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Oh, the end of the file name? That makes sense because it cuts of extensions when the file is imported. Give an example?

Download updated drivers. MS doesn't always have the best OpenGL drivers. That and try disabling Aero/themes.

-----------------------------------

So, I've been out of town the last week and haven't had a chance to work on models. I'm picking up where I left off and am decoding the Material/Shader commands. Those seem to be the biggest challenge, so when that's done the rebuilder will be a breeze (I hope).
Example of one I had to add it to:
VS Ridley, Draygon (Super Metroid).brstm
For some reason, it didn't add the .brstm extension to it, even when I save it as so...

Kryal

Smash Ace
That didn't help. I had it set up like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

And it still managed to jump from 10 to 210ish and back down to 40. @_@
Hmm, no problems here. A sequence with only two keyframes will always be linear, so the pairs aren't necessary in this case. Make sure you don't have any other keyframes in-between, because that can mess things up. Send file if you still have problems.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Basically, I've come to realize that the higher the change before your desired linear region, the more you'll have to apply key frames to linearize it. Consider this example:

Frame | Desired Bone value, (Parentheses = Key Frame value)
1 / X
2/ Y
3/ (10)
4/ 20
5/ 30
6/ 40
7/ (50)

If X and Y are low bone values, like -55, -30, then the values after frame 3 (10) will jump up more to non-linear values like 50 or 70 and frame 5ish may often exceed the value of frame 7 (50). If the change from frame 1 to your key frame on 3 is sufficiently great, it may take as many as 2-3 key frames (which you have to calculate yourself) at the start and end of your desired linear range to force it to be linear.

Producing something like:

Frame | Actual Bone value, (Parentheses = Key Frame value)
1 / -55
2/ -30
3/ (10)
4/ 40
5/ 70
6/ 55
7/ (50)

and to linearize this you'd need to calculate the 20 and 40 values (obv more time-consuming for real life non-integral bone values) and input:

Frame | Bone value, (Parentheses = Key Frame value)
1 / -55
2/ -30
3/ (10)
4/ (20)
5/ 30
6/ (40)
7/ (50)

Two key frames may not necessarily be enough.

Hope this helps anyone else that was confused before.

Any chance you could implement that linear option and true C/P between animations before moving on to other advanced features? These are the things that would easily halve the time it takes to make an animation. Thanks, Kryal.

Sails

Smash Ace
What are you guys all going nuts about with this here model importer, what I'm concerned about is the real hype machine!
Eyes. :( I need an easy access way of making CSPs, so out of curiosity where on the list of importance is eye rendering?

shanus

Smash Hero
I've found the same problem as Shell. More often than not, I need to define 4 keyframes per sequence I need to linearize for it to behave. It seems the function is always taking an overestimate almost S curve to fix it despite assigning a tangent.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
What are you guys all going nuts about with this here model importer, what I'm concerned about is the real hype machine!
Eyes. :( I need an easy access way of making CSPs, so out of curiosity where on the list of importance is eye rendering?

If you're using Brawlbox for CSPs, you're doing it wrong. No, I'm serious. Brawlboxes shading is ugly and doesn't look at all like the rest of the games content. With that said, I'm sure Kryals intent is to fix this in the future, but there are many different ways to make CSPs besides Brawlboxes very simplistic rendering scheme.

Also, this is just me whining, but I believe you mean support for multiple texture on a polygon, which in 3dsmax terms, you use composite maps. Speaking of which, it's very easy to set 3dsmax up for effective rendering of portraits, or you can even take snapshots in-game and clean them up with GIMP/Photoshop/Whatever.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Agreed on the SFX support, but that can wait until Kryal is done with model rebuilding. How has progress been on that recently?

If you're using Brawlbox for CSPs, you're doing it wrong. No, I'm serious. Brawlboxes shading is ugly and doesn't look at all like the rest of the games content. With that said, I'm sure Kryals intent is to fix this in the future, but there are many different ways to make CSPs besides Brawlboxes very simplistic rendering scheme.
I thought that was Pictochat's fault or the fault of the lighting on whatever stage you take pictures on. With 0.63c, I had no problems with CSPs and they looked like they actually fit in game if not for the texture, most of which don't fit brawl's style anyway.

A friend of mine removed an original CSP from the sel_char file, flipped it, and then put in back in with brawlbox. Comparing it to the rest of Mario's pictures, it looked exactly the same as it did before.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
So yeah. Brawlbox .57 or something had the ability to play back all of the SFX.

Riivolution lets us replace that while on an SD, and the japanese file works perfectly.

Any change of getting fixed SFX support soon? I know you had the file almost 100% figured out, there was just no easy way to test rebuilt files. I can even help you get Riivolution set up :D

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Duh, it looked it the same. You said all your "friend" did was flip it, so then that would be the only thing that changed. What else were you expecting to happen?
Brawlboxes shading is ugly and doesn't look at all like the rest of the games content.
removed an original CSP from the sel_char file, flipped it, and then put in back in with brawlbox.
Not sure why you put friend in quotations.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Brawlboxes shading is ugly and doesn't look at all like the rest of the games content.
Aside from flipping it, it looked the same.
You.. Don't understand how images work at all, do you?

You wanna know why the portrait looked the same? It's an IMAGE. The shading is ALREADY THERE TO BEGIN WITH. Here, I'm make as simple as possible.

When you right click over one one one those grey things labeled MDL0, and move the cursor downward by just slightly moving the mouse, so that you're cursor is hovering over the text that is now highlighted that says 'preview', it opens a little thing that shows the characters model.

That is not a bunch of pictures. That is real, 3D geometry. The shading that Brawlboxes rendering engine uses looks terrible. BUT THAT WONT DO A THING TO IMAGES THAT ARE ALREADY IMAGES. THE SHADING IS BUILT IN TO A COMPILED IMAGE.:mad:

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Sorry, I misunderstood you altogether. I thought you meant that upon importing any image back, brawlbox would screw it up. I haven't used brawlbox at all in over a month so I'll be honest and say that I just hadn't specifically noticed anything. At least in comparison to old versions of brawlbox when you tried to make CSPs.

I'd ask how to fix shading problems with CSPs, but I clearly do not know what I am talking about.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Ok so, I heard about this thing called model rebuilder, and was wondering if this (when released) would be capable of making bones on the face so we can edit facial expressions. and also, since I've checked up on this, I was wondering about its progress.

Top Bottom