• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming Pro Isn't Fictional.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
M2K, Azen, Chillin, Ninjalink, Ally, Atomsk, Futile, Reflex, Inui, etc could probably do this.
<3

Honestly, if I wasn't going to college, with a bit of startup capital, if I went out of my way to enter all the tournaments in the surrounding states, I probably could live off of the money, although it wouldn't be comfortable.

I'd rather get my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and become a counselor than that, though.

I think that most people look at "pro Brawl players" as the famous players known for their character; Futile is synonymous with Wario. I've never considered myself "pro", but a fair amount of people appear to think so, so I guess that would be a good, generally-accepted definition for "pro".

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Lol i hope you remember that...cuz you laughed pretty hard. =)

Oh next tourney u goin to tell me son...if its in georgia im comin xD.

You were oour only hope(the souths) lol

To funny , to funny.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i wish samus could be good..........but i fear that low tier just aint gonna become good ever.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
i wish samus could be good..........but i fear that low tier just aint gonna become good ever.
Me too :(
I love her playstyle, but the odds are stacked too highly against her. Even the ICs have some incredibly difficult matchups, so I have to play as DDD/Snake/Marth.
I hate being counter-picked. D:

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
Depends on how interested you are in winning / the skill base of the tournaments you go to.

Neighborhood/Friend tournaments: Whoever, skill will determine winners everytime.
State (varies greatly): Don't go below D if you want to win, and D doesn't cut it in some states.
Region (also varies, but not as much): Don't go below C
National: SS + S + A + Wario

Theorycraft but tournament data seems to back my opinion up.
lol i went to COT4 and DIED HORRIBIBLEY! (and that was my diddy, my lucas got 3stocked every time in friendlies too!)

i do want to go far, and will work hard to get to the top, so i guess ill be cheap and go MK/snake......

too bad......

but ill do what i must to get to the top....

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
A good read.
Kept me occupied at work and it gave me a new perspective on things.
Nice :)

Sky`

Smash Lord
Less hanging on Fiction's nuts, less abstract questions that don't really matter in a match, less johns about Peach, more hard thinking about your character and the game, more workdoing.
Anime Effect at it's finest.

Try going to a tournament.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Anime Effect at it's finest.

Try going to a tournament.
^This

Anyone riding Techno's nuts has no idea what the hell they are talking about, get out of delusional land.

There's a reason why Gimpy didn't do much better than top 10 or so at tourneys with Bowser in Melee. Wanna guess why?

Flayl

Smash Hero
lol i went to COT4 and DIED HORRIBIBLEY! (and that was my diddy, my lucas got 3stocked every time in friendlies too!)

i do want to go far, and will work hard to get to the top, so i guess ill be cheap and go MK/snake......

too bad......

but ill do what i must to get to the top....
Diddy is A tier. No johns.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^This

Anyone riding Techno's nuts has no idea what the hell they are talking about, get out of delusional land.

There's a reason why Gimpy didn't do much better than top 10 or so at tourneys with Bowser in Melee. Wanna guess why?
Now this is where I draw the line between realism and pessimism.

Now please hear me on this. I agree with Techno...to an extent. The reason why is because while I don't encourage any blind optimism that may have driven him to create his post, I do encourage the "more work needs to done" purpose behind his post. Am I considered to be in delusional land? Am I on his nuts? No, I'm not. Please choose your words wisely if you're going to make an attempt at generalizing others.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Now this is where I draw the line between realism and pessimism.

Now please hear me on this. I agree with Techno...to an extent. The reason why is because while I don't encourage any blind optimism that may have driven him to create his post, I do encourage the "more work needs to done" purpose behind his post. Am I considered to be in delusional land? Am I on his nuts? No, I'm not. Please choose your words wisely if you're going to make an attempt at generalizing others.
He's in delusional land, anyone who says 'Have my children' infers they completely agree with that really dumb statement, meaning you too, are living in delusional land.

And if asking someone to have your children isn't riding their nuts I dont know what the **** is.

You made the stupid comment, face up to it.

Sky`

Smash Lord
^This

Let me guess.

Because Bowser is a Bad Character.

There's no question mark at the end of that, cause it's a statement. Because it's true.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
He's in delusional land, anyone who says 'Have my children' infers they completely agree with that really dumb statement, meaning you too, are living in delusional land.

And if asking someone to have your children isn't riding their nuts I dont know what the **** is.

You made the stupid comment, face up to it.
Sarcasm? Sillyness? Maybe a little of both? How will you ever know, and on that note, how is that even solid ground for you to deem me as "living in delusional land"? I'm as realistic on the situation as most players who participate in tournaments would be. What place do your petty judgments have in this to begin with?

Again, with you being my prime example, this is where I draw the line between realism and pessimism, and in your specific case...not just on the topic at hand.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Great OP Sky', that was a great read. It almost inspires me to put the time in and get good, but who am I kidding, I wouldn't stick with it...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Let me guess.

Because Bowser is a Bad Character.

There's no question mark at the end of that, cause it's a statement. Because it's true.
Aaaaaand you'd be right.

King Beef you aren't getting the ****ing point. Your original statement made you look stupid, get over it. Asking the guy who said something really stupid to have your children makes you look bad, and expecting people not to call him and people who agree with him out is stupid.

And PS there is nothing to freaking argue here why are you talking to me. You said a stupid thing, I said it was stupid, good game.

Ange

Smash Lord
I read this yesterday but didnt have time to comment, so Ill do it now.

Great read! Was very interesting and inspiring. This needs to be stickied or something to keep it alive.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Aaaaaand you'd be right.

King Beef you aren't getting the ****ing point. Your original statement made you look stupid, get over it. Asking the guy who said something really stupid to have your children makes you look bad, and expecting people not to call him and people who agree with him out is stupid.

And PS there is nothing to freaking argue here why are you talking to me. You said a stupid thing, I said it was stupid, good game.
Ah, but that would still be true had I not pointed out my actual mindset on the matter, despite my initial response to his post. So yes, there is something to argue. Come now, are you attempting to generalize me and disregard my argument/defense all in one sitting? That's very bold of you to try. :laugh:

I "get your point", but it simply isn't true.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Here's a question; What advice would you give to someone who wishes to get better, but has only been to three tourneys, losing in quarter finals each time? Someone who hasn't improved any since mid-20008, and whenever he does manage to improve, even just a little, everyone around him improves much, much more, essentially keeping him in the same place he was before.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Here's a question; What advice would you give to someone who wishes to get better, but has only been to three tourneys, losing in quarter finals each time? Someone who hasn't improved any since mid-20008, and whenever he does manage to improve, even just a little, everyone around him improves much, much more, essentially keeping him in the same place he was before.
Is it a certain character who gives you this trouble? If so, then try to train with someone maining that character, and maybe pick them up yourself, try to understand how they work.

If it's just that your skill generally seems not to be comparable with those who win, try to generally train with many people. The more opponents you play and can train with, the better you eventually will become.

^_^

Sky`

Smash Lord
I would tell him to stop putting his head in the gutter!

Lift your chin up, and don't think that you've only improved just a little. It may seem that way, but it's not true. It's the little fine tunings that construct the making of a Pro.

I would honestly say, Keep at it, and don't let yourself down just because you think that people are improving around you. you Main Ike I assume? Remember what the blog says....
If you're gonna main somebody like Ike, I behoove you to pick up a Secondary. =D

Sky`

Smash Lord
Great OP Sky', that was a great read. It almost inspires me to put the time in and get good, but who am I kidding, I wouldn't stick with it...
What is this talk!

You turn that frown up side down and get out there and Place high!
NOW!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ah, but that would still be true had I not pointed out my actual mindset on the matter, despite my initial response to his post. So yes, there is something to argue. Come now, are you attempting to generalize me and disregard my argument/defense all in one sitting? That's very bold of you to try. :laugh:

I "get your point", but it simply isn't true.
...No, my point is you said something stupid and that Techno is delusional.

So, um, no, I am not going argue what you actually believe because I dont really care. This was never about you. I repeat, WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME, STOP IT.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
It's not a particular character that gives me problems. It's simply that everyone around me improves more, and much faster than I. People that I had been better than can now beat me more than 50% of the time. I put more time, and effort into the game than they do, and it simply doesn't help. And the people who were already better than I just continue to progress. I get home from school about 1:00 PM. About an hour of that time is used eating Lunch, and Dinner, and the rest as of late has gone into lurking SWF and practicing Fox, and Falco in Melee, and Ike and Falco in Brawl, or watching youtube videos of smash. Every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and occasionally Sundays people in my area get together and smash, which usually last 3~4 hours a piece, though Brawl is only played Wednesdays and Saturdays, since the Friday/Sunday group are anti-brawl. I've been in this habit for the last three months or so, and I had been in the habit of lurking SWF and practicing tech skill since 2006 when I first started Melee. Most of the people who I play with have jobs, go to school for longer hours than I, and don't even practice during their free time, yet continue to improve much faster, and much more.

I play main Ike and Falco, though I only have tournament experience with Falco in Brawl. The three tournaments I entered, I lost to Ike, G&W, and I forget the last.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I guess it's that switching back and forth between the two games, I'd say.

Although I played both games until recently, I haven't improved at all.. in both. Now I have put all my effort into one game (Brawl), and dayum, there I go. I've improved extremely.

You can't become good in both games at an equal time... I'd say stick with one, and play it until you're on a certain level satisfying you. Then you can always go back to the other game.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Melee is the only game I can realistically stick to, since AZ is extremely anti-brawl.

Even if I don't go to tournaments, playing constantly should net some form of improvement.

Maybe you guys could move all the tournaments to AZ, and I might be able to afford to enter some. =\

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ You're a silly man, Falcon. :laugh:

Anyway, Rubyiris, listen to what Sky responded to you with. It really is the small tunings that really add up in the long run. Any improvement is phenomenal news, and you should be proud of any that you make. ^.^

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Melee is the only game I can realistically stick to, since AZ is extremely anti-brawl.

Even if I don't go to tournaments, playing constantly should net some form of improvement.

Maybe you guys could move all the tournaments to AZ, and I might be able to afford to enter some. =\
Are the guys you constantly playing going to tourneys? If so, then it's no wonder they improve faster than you.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Ohhh debating in this thread is so lol.

Honestly, people who follow the anime effect just... make me so irritated.

D

Deleted member

Ohhh debating in this thread is so lol.

Honestly, people who follow the anime effect just... make me so irritated.
Yoshi can win tournaments :)
Im just not good enough yet.

You'll see sky, i can do it if i believe in myself and trust in the cards.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Not for winning nationals.
I don't have a good handle on Olimar's or Lucario's preformance, but I believe Olimar has a lot of untapped potentional. His Hitbox:Hurtbox on Ground attacks IS the best in the game when you add in Pikmin. He has odd priority(All Pikmin will clank). He has THE best Grab in the game(PERIOD) and he has throws like Ness does(including a killer BThrow). He's not used that much as of now, so things are inconclusive.

Lucario is iffy, he has crazy priority(Best in the game IMO. He has MK hitboxes+normal ones. They're invisible, and they linger out there for a long time. He may not be able to win a national, but he still might be able to.

ROB's looking worse than he was before, so I'd be iffy to say if he can win a national or not. Probably not, but don't quote me on that.

It's not a particular character that gives me problems. It's simply that everyone around me improves more, and much faster than I. People that I had been better than can now beat me more than 50% of the time. I put more time, and effort into the game than they do, and it simply doesn't help. And the people who were already better than I just continue to progress. I get home from school about 1:00 PM. About an hour of that time is used eating Lunch, and Dinner, and the rest as of late has gone into lurking SWF and practicing Fox, and Falco in Melee, and Ike and Falco in Brawl, or watching youtube videos of smash. Every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and occasionally Sundays people in my area get together and smash, which usually last 3~4 hours a piece, though Brawl is only played Wednesdays and Saturdays, since the Friday/Sunday group are anti-brawl. I've been in this habit for the last three months or so, and I had been in the habit of lurking SWF and practicing tech skill since 2006 when I first started Melee. Most of the people who I play with have jobs, go to school for longer hours than I, and don't even practice during their free time, yet continue to improve much faster, and much more.

I play main Ike and Falco, though I only have tournament experience with Falco in Brawl. The three tournaments I entered, I lost to Ike, G&W, and I forget the last.
My training schedule was pretty much that-I ended up flunking my first semester of college because of that(I only have this semester to turn my grade around. Sucks a lot.)

I've been going to Tournies since Oct or so. Out of the 15ish tournaments I've been too, I've only won sets at 6 of them. 4 if you ignore doubles.

You'll get better. 3 months is not that long considering everybody else has a year or more's worth of tourney experience. In Brawl, the "only" way to get good is to go to tournaments.

http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Natch.ai

There's a few missing tournament, IIRC. The one I got 3rd place(DOUBLES, not Singles) in had 14 people in it.

EDIT: Didn't hear you were placing in Quarter Finals only.

You've been to 3 tournies, correct? What I said earlier still applies(Go to more tourneys), but you may want to switch mains if you want to do better.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It sounds like he's hit a skill plateau, so to speak. For some people, this can last as long as a year (if you stick with it and put a decent amount of effort into it) or, once you get up to the professional level, several. Really, it all just depends on how bullheaded he is. If he wants to stick with the person he uses, he may need to bite the bullet and find a way to improve his "training regime" but that doesn't guarentee he'll get results especially if, like it's been said several times already, he uses someone that's below high tier. If he doesn't, he'll just have to take his already applied knowledge and transfer a lot of it to someone else but, again, that doesn't mean he'll get immediate results or any for that matter.

I guess that best he can do is to continue to learn and fight a decent variety of people who are equal or above his skill level. Still, even some of the really good players like Boss8 can get stuck for long periods of time simply because of their character choices despite being able to easily kick the crap out of most people and essentially paving the way for others who use their characters (Mario and Luigi in Boss8's case). As much as it sucks, mediocrity is usually where most people land even if they do dump a lot of work into a game so it's not like he's a talentless hack if he never gets over the hill.

Top Bottom