• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming Pro Isn't Fictional.

DUB

Smash Lord
Interesting thing to read. Makes sense. I played Peach for the first time really ever the other day in Melee. Loved her and defenitly maining.

Feel like I might be switching it up in Brawl too.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Nicely done :3 I often play random just to get to know characters o.o
Although I have to disagree on the point of 'unwinable'. Even to the highest skill of play, there is usually a flaw in everybody's game, and you just have to pinpoint it and **** it. Otherwise awesome stuff :)
The better you are, the fewer flaws.

But the better you are, the better you exploit your character for the high tier it is.
And those exploitations are what **** the lower tiers.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
My Olimar CAN win tourneys, I'll show you all! I WILL SHOW YOU ALLL!!!!!!! :chuckle: Excellent read, reminds me of when I went pro in Halo 3. Then again, I had natural talent in that game that FAR surpasses my talent in Brawl. Well, still, nothing worth achieving comes easy!

TheFast

Smash Lord
No because Each peach plays differantly Just beacause a Peach is the best doesnt mean that playing style is best for every situation. Like I said maybe Sky's way isnt with just a Main. That's Cool. I use a sub. But that isnt to say that a different PLAYING STYLE peach would do better than Sky in a given situation. Just because a character is low teir doesnt mean you need a Sub. It means you need to be that much more adaptable to handling different playing styles. I mean MK and Snake are the top dogs. Well they also play every match-up exactly the same. Where as a character such as Peach will sometimes need to mix it up in given match-ups.

Please hear where I am coming from. I am saying there is NOTHING wrong with subs. But dont say that a character MUST have a sub to be good just because they are lower tier. I dont know Peach might be one of those characters that does need a sub. I am just naming her as an example as a lower teir and not a character that doesnt need a sub. I mean I know nothing of peach sadly. I play Kirby a higher teir. But the character I know the most about is Yoshi. Him being a Very low character CAN actually overcome any match-up if they adapt themself to the given match at hand.

MK's Playing Style: Agressive, lots of pressure, go for gimps, and keep moving.

Snake's Playing Style: Control movement with nades, play defensively, take one hit if that all you can get and never get greedy, and use C4 and proixies for stage control.

See know if I where to try to do that with a character like Peach I wouldnt be able to. Because Peach's playingstyle will vary per match up. That is to not say that she has impossiable match-ups but that different Peach players will play match-ups MUCH different than two different Metaknight players. So just because Sky cannot do something doesnt mean another Peach can't. >_>

Nicole

Smash Champion
Thanks Sky and Fiction, I really enjoyed reading this. I've been thinking these things to myself, more or less, as I still haven't been able to find a character that I really enjoy and feel really confident about, and I'm glad to see even the greats have the same problems!

Sky`

Smash Lord
No because Each peach plays differantly Just beacause a Peach is the best doesnt mean that playing style is best for every situation. Like I said maybe Sky's way isnt with just a Main. That's Cool. I use a sub. But that isnt to say that a different PLAYING STYLE peach would do better than Sky in a given situation. Just because a character is low teir doesnt mean you need a Sub. It means you need to be that much more adaptable to handling different playing styles. I mean MK and Snake are the top dogs. Well they also play every match-up exactly the same. Where as a character such as Peach will sometimes need to mix it up in given match-ups.

Please hear where I am coming from. I am saying there is NOTHING wrong with subs. But dont say that a character MUST have a sub to be good just because they are lower tier. I dont know Peach might be one of those characters that does need a sub. I am just naming her as an example as a lower teir and not a character that doesnt need a sub. I mean I know nothing of peach sadly. I play Kirby a higher teir. But the character I know the most about is Yoshi. Him being a Very low character CAN actually overcome any match-up if they adapt themself to the given match at hand.

MK's Playing Style: Agressive, lots of pressure, go for gimps, and keep moving.

Snake's Playing Style: Control movement with nades, play defensively, take one hit if that all you can get and never get greedy, and use C4 and proixies for stage control.

See know if I where to try to do that with a character like Peach I wouldnt be able to. Because Peach's playingstyle will vary per match up. That is to not say that she has impossiable match-ups but that different Peach players will play match-ups MUCH different than two different Metaknight players. So just because Sky cannot do something doesnt mean another Peach can't. >_>
*sigh*

Bolded lies the contradiction. Not all MK's play like that, not all Snakes play like that.
But there comes a point where the uniqueness of your play-style starts to matter a little less. It's the reason why these matchups are like 60-40, and such. Because high tier characters automatically have advantageous traits about them. And high level players are going to exploit the fact that Peach has trouble killing, or that she's light, or that she sucks on some counter pick levels.

I don't know anything about Yoshi.

But if you're stuck in the delusion that Yoshi can win a Regional, then I'm sorry my friend, but I'm here to tell you that It won't happen.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Chudat went through, like the whole cast before he found Kirby. Gonzo helped him at the beginning and he just took it from there.

DrGonzoPhD

Smash Rookie
Something I learned recently is that you usually lose matches in your own head before you even pick up the controller, if you allow it to happen. Just go into a match without psyching yourself out and you can come out on top, or at least increase your chances greatly. A great player that doesn't play with confidence will lose faster than a lesser skilled player that is more confident and secure in his head before the match.

TheFast

Smash Lord
I didnt mean All played like that. I ment it as a relative playing style of that character that could do WELL in a tourney. Yoshi is a character that could win a regional. I cannot say there is a Yoshi Player that can win a regional YET. But Yoshi is a viable character by himself. I do not have the knowledge to say so with Peach but im just saying a sub isnt for everybody. If somebody feels better with jsut there main, be it a low teir one, than they should use what they feel is best for their playing style.

Sky I hope this isnt concidered an arguement to you. Because I see it as a disscusion and I enjoy disscussing. If you want me to stop just say so.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
0_o

Your blog makes me sound so wise LOL
Because you are. I mean, c'mon, your name is [Censored.] That's a pretty wise sounding name right there.

I didnt mean All played like that. I ment it as a relative playing style of that character that could do WELL in a tourney. Yoshi is a character that could win a regional. I cannot say there is a Yoshi Player that can win a regional YET. But Yoshi is a viable character by himself. I do not have the knowledge to say so with Peach but im just saying a sub isnt for everybody. If somebody feels better with jsut there main, be it a low teir one, than they should use what they feel is best for their playing style.

Sky I hope this isnt concidered an arguement to you. Because I see it as a disscusion and I enjoy disscussing. If you want me to stop just say so.
Sky said I answered it for him. I said you are 100% dead wrong. Sky agrees. Don't go spouting the same crap over and over again. Yoshi is "good", but everybody else is "Phenominal."

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I know that this is suppose to be heartwarming and all, but the fact is that not everyone can be good at this game.
It is true for everything in life. Only certain absolutely unique people can truly be called 'best'. We are limited and no matter what those limitations hold us. We can't break out of it.

So if you have the potential to be 'best', the you will be. But if you do not, then tough luck.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Well worth the read, everything from the title to the last word is amazing. Great job Sky and Fiction.

I know that this is suppose to be heartwarming and all, but the fact is that not everyone can be good at this game.
It is true for everything in life. Only certain absolutely unique people can truly be called 'best'. We are limited and no matter what those limitations hold us. We can't break out of it.

So if you have the potential to be 'best', the you will be. But if you do not, then tough luck.
Annnnnd...there goes my self confidence.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Hm... That was indeed a very great read. Thanks a lot, Sky. ^^

@Mazaloth:
I kinda agree and disagree with you.

Look for example at me. I have a hereditary defect on my finger joints. I can't play for long, otherwise my fingers hurt like sh*t (2-3 hours max, then I need a break), and my fingers in general react a little bit slower. This is a physical limitation to my own possible gameplay. It's something I rather wouldn't have, but I still have it, and I AM aiming to become a better player than I am right now.
It all seems like fantasy, considering my finger joints, and my lack of many different partners to train with.

But...
I've been playing quite a lot recently. Before, I've sucked a lot - especially in Brawl. In Melee I've always been a decent player, and due to my chaotic and unpredictable playstyle my Peach was not that bad. In my city, I'm an above average Melee player. And that although I don't really play Melee, and haven't played it for a long time!

I started to pick up Brawl lately, again. I've never been able to stay with one character, as I liked to play randomly a lot. Now, I've decided to drop those other characters and go with one character as a main - Bowser -, and 2 other characters to cover Bowser's weaknesses and bad matchups, but still having a not too different style. As Fiction did, I've changed colours, too. I'll maybe change my tag, too.

And I'm FEELING that I got better. Before that click I was even losing to like, Level 7 CPUs. Now I'm 3-stocking Level 9 CPUs. Of course, fighting CPUs doesn't mean THAT much, but you can see how this mental switch matters.

If you REALLY want to, you CAN get better.

That comparison with the math class wasn't that dumb. Really. The difference is that you're not bound to like math, whereas I assume you like Smash. And I'm pretty sure everyone would like to get better at Smash.
If you learn enough math, do many examples and exercises of the stuff you don't understand, one time, there will be the click, and you will easily solve every calculation you might get.
It's like that with everything you might do.

Of course, a natural talent has it far easier, but even if you have little talent, you can become better, you just have to work far harder than others do.

K 2

Smash Lord
Good stuff Sky. That was really deep...and really, really long...

Good read.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I'm beginning to think that it's impossible for Sky to write something that isn't amazing.

Great read; very insightful.

Thanks for sharing!

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
This makes me want to go out and get a lot better, especially since I did fairly poor at a tournament just this last weekend. Good stuff.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Hm... That was indeed a very great read. Thanks a lot, Sky. ^^

@Mazaloth:
I kinda agree and disagree with you.

Look for example at me. I have a hereditary defect on my finger joints. I can't play for long, otherwise my fingers hurt like sh*t (2-3 hours max, then I need a break), and my fingers in general react a little bit slower. This is a physical limitation to my own possible gameplay. It's something I rather wouldn't have, but I still have it, and I AM aiming to become a better player than I am right now.
It all seems like fantasy, considering my finger joints, and my lack of many different partners to train with.

But...
I've been playing quite a lot recently. Before, I've sucked a lot - especially in Brawl. In Melee I've always been a decent player, and due to my chaotic and unpredictable playstyle my Peach was not that bad. In my city, I'm an above average Melee player. And that although I don't really play Melee, and haven't played it for a long time!

I started to pick up Brawl lately, again. I've never been able to stay with one character, as I liked to play randomly a lot. Now, I've decided to drop those other characters and go with one character as a main - Bowser -, and 2 other characters to cover Bowser's weaknesses and bad matchups, but still having a not too different style. As Fiction did, I've changed colours, too. I'll maybe change my tag, too.

And I'm FEELING that I got better. Before that click I was even losing to like, Level 7 CPUs. Now I'm 3-stocking Level 9 CPUs. Of course, fighting CPUs doesn't mean THAT much, but you can see how this mental switch matters.

If you REALLY want to, you CAN get better.

That comparison with the math class wasn't that dumb. Really. The difference is that you're not bound to like math, whereas I assume you like Smash. And I'm pretty sure everyone would like to get better at Smash.
If you learn enough math, do many examples and exercises of the stuff you don't understand, one time, there will be the click, and you will easily solve every calculation you might get.
It's like that with everything you might do.

Of course, a natural talent has it far easier, but even if you have little talent, you can become better, you just have to work far harder than others do.
Better is nice, and I am not disagreeing with you. But lets be perfectly real here.
I know for a fact that even if I devoted a lot of time to Smash, I couldn't get anywhere as skilled as my Marth brethren such as Steel or Kadaj. None the less better.

And I know math, Human psychology, martial arts too. What I learned is that every move, there is a complete algorithim to counter, however, the statement is easier said then actually done.

What I am saying is there is a pure line between Pro and Better. Half of the people on SWF, I know for a fact will never become 'Pro'. It isn't bad, nor should we be discouraged by it, but the facts are out there.

Yes. I will keep playing to get better.
Yes. I will go to tourneys.
I will learn and become better.
But will I ever be able to be 'Pro'? Not likely.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Hmm...at the moment I'm having a hard time determining whether or not character data/impressions being presented by some people are realistic or just plain pessimistic. Now please don't misunderstand me, I know and acknowledge that there are characters that are just plain better than others. However I don't think it is wrong or foolish for players to think that some characters are still more capable than what is currently believed as their limit. Who knows, maybe Peach/Kirby/etc. can do it alone, the game hasn't even been out a full year yet, maybe it can happen some day, if not soon. Now again...please don't misunderstand me; I'm not preaching in the favor of blind optimism because I know that there are characters who cannot do it alone. What I am saying, however, is that I still think that some characters are still receiving that "final judgement" a little too early.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
sky, do us all a favor and go back to Melee. At least your practice in that game SHOWS unlike in Brawl, where you keep switching mains. If you are going to pick up alts for your bad match ups, play Peach as a main anyways. Your Peach is way better than all your other characters, BY FAR.

EDIT: LOL "Becoming Pro Isn't Fictional"

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
If m2k entered a tournament full of 100 percent good ddds using only dk he would not even do well. It doesnt matter what u do or who u r if u have unwinnable matchups.

Its dumb how people argue the point that not everyone can go pro or everyone can. Everyone can go pro within reason. Its like if a 500 pound man wants to become the worlds best basketball player, he can't do it. Its not even reasonable (someone who maybe has no arms who plays smash or something its a bad analogy). but lets say a random kid out of a random high school played basketball with the best of the best 8 hours a day every day for a year. All this time they were giving him tips and he was practicing like mad. I think he could become a pro basketball player and I see no reason why he couldn't.

:\

EDIT: hai cuba XD

Sky`

Smash Lord
GTFO JESIAH.

Switches out to Bronzong with SECREET HEAT PROOF. >_>

Trick room.
Your move, Yugi.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
-Sigh-

I had a Yuna like post with some stuff I didn't agree with and the stuff I did but I got the error message.
):

I'm not gonna retype it all. Perhaps it's for the best.

Looking forward to facing you one day Sky, and good luck in your next tourney.

PND

Smash Champion
**** it. I switched my Wario from Red to Brown out of respect for Fiction's red Wario.

Back to Red!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pshhhhhhh i already learned all this from sky's **** youtube vid

great read, should help a lot of people.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I think that ultimately, if you always do what you find to be the most fun, you will find your true potential and be more likely to win at anything. Take my mains for example. When I got temporarily bored of Lucario, I tried out someone that I thought would be fun: Fox. It worked. My fox is pretty dang good. So is my Shiek, and now my Marth. I didn't learn these characters for competitive reasons, but for fun. Ultimately they will serve me well in the competitive scene, as soon as I get a car... BEWARE! THE DAY DRAWS NEAR!

I don't think changing my tag or color would be right for me. I LUV my tag and I always pick a characters brightest color (white or yellow). It's epic in my mind, and therefore I don't think it's necessary to change it.

Very true about the characters that fit. This is SO important. I think Marth may be the only high tier that matches my play-style. MK was actually the first person I mained, but that was before I found Smashboards. He got so boring. He, quite simply, didn't match my style.

Just thought I'd share that with you all, even though you probably don't care that much.:chuckle:

The Pope

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Sky for giving the community this thread. I've been placing at average and below average spots in tournies and I've been trying to figure out why and after reading this, you've helped me by putting me in the right track. I hope I can take these things and apply them for when the time is right.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Amazing ^^

Actually, you're surprisingly right on the physical change thing. Every single good player in Paris has something with the colors lol XD
I remember once, when Leon lost a game against Achoral (I think), he was upset for 2 sec, but then changed his color and said "That's the true Leon" (or somthing like that) and won the set, lol XD

I myself changed my color and tag (so that now I can't anymore... :x), Gemini has a "serious color" and a freeplay one, etc XD

Top Bottom