• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming Pro Isn't Fictional.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
would an f tier have ANY chance?...

im trying to figure out who to main and this seems like an important part---seeing how low on the list i can go...., lucas would be the farthest down that im interested in...

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
wow that is so encouriaging. It is possible to become a pro i guess. hey btw does anyone know if the ff is up and running again. i need a good battle cuz everyone in kaneohe sucks

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
If you take even a single trip into the melee boards, you'll find hella elitism. Loads of posters still bash Brawl whenever they feel like it. On the Brawl boards, people put disclaimers in their threads saying "I'm NOT comparing melee to brawl".

Perhaps the only reason I play Brawl instead of Melee is because I can't get around. Wifi + Smashboards has given me every scrap of skill that I possess. I'm really eager to go to a local tournament as soon as I get my license.

Would gimpyfish and Bowser be an Anime Effect that actually worked?

Flayl

Smash Hero
I wish people would stop referencing Gimpyfish as someone who won tournaments with a low tier. Do you know why? Because he didn't. He did well (considering), but he didn't win.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Would gimpyfish and Bowser be an Anime Effect that actually worked?
I think you're one of the last people who still says that dumb ****.

No, it didn't work. He did as best as he could as Bowser, which meant placing well but never top because Bowser has so many incredibly bad match ups so when faced with a player of equal skill in a really bad match up he freaking LOST.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm gonna have to step it up now.
-Waits for Sonic Boarders to respond to the ever so inviting comment-

im trying to figure out who to main and this seems like an important part---seeing how low on the list i can go...., lucas would be the farthest down that im interested in...
As for that, take the advice everyone gives and was mentioned in the first post. Choose a character that works for you, blahblahblah. You can't
well maybe
expect to win a lot with a character you aren't in to, it doesn't keep your encouragement up.

Flayl

Smash Hero
would an f tier have ANY chance?...

Depends on how interested you are in winning / the skill base of the tournaments you go to.

Neighborhood/Friend tournaments: Whoever, skill will determine winners everytime.
State (varies greatly): Don't go below D if you want to win, and D doesn't cut it in some states.
Region (also varies, but not as much): Don't go below C
National: SS + S + A + Wario

Theorycraft but tournament data seems to back my opinion up.

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
Wow thank you, Ive been feeling kinda down lately(smash wise)
this is a definite confidence booster
I read the whole thing straight through
great thread, thanks for sharing:)

Cross.

Smash Ace
Wow great read. Good job sky and fiction I feel motivated again! The smash scene where I am isn't really all that great but I'll keep on practicing in hopes of going to a tourney in america.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
This actually inspired me and a friend to start a little experiment, which I believe he's making a topic about now. Basically we're going to split the cast in half, train with each character enough to get a good idea of how they work, then train with our mains/seconds on those characters, and exchange what we know about the character. Since theory can only get you so far, we're going to try and take it a step further.

Obviously we don't have enough people outside of tournaments to train with. So if this works well, it could be a good solution to those who don't have many players in their area.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Sky? I really liked all of what I read. And I know it's unrelated, but I can tell you are a very deep person. I wish to request a Brawl with you, if at all possible.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Sky? I really liked all of what I read. And I know it's unrelated, but I can tell you are a very deep person. I wish to request a Brawl with you, if at all possible.
Deep person eh? Yeahh, I've been called that. =D

When I have time. I srsly usually never have time to wai fai. =[

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I think you're one of the last people who still says that dumb ****.

No, it didn't work. He did as best as he could as Bowser, which meant placing well but never top because Bowser has so many incredibly bad match ups so when faced with a player of equal skill in a really bad match up he freaking LOST.
I came late to the competitive smash scene. Chill the:lucario: out. >_>

777th Post.

*throws confetti*

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A decent read mainly because it pretty much brings up all the big pieces of advice that people commonly use about getting better at this game together. (ie; experiment, find a secondary to deal with your mains tough matchups, learn from losing, frequently play people who can kick the crap out of you, etc) I was going to type an abridged version in my post until I realized that you did it at the end. :laugh: I do have to argue though that becoming pro is unrealistic for a vast majority of people though because "pro" suggests that you are possibly good enough at the game that you could do it for a living even if you were making the equivalent of minimum wage. Nitpicking, granted, but I thought like throwing it out there.

Sky`

Smash Lord
A decent read mainly because it pretty much brings up all the big pieces of advice that people commonly use about getting better at this game together. (ie; experiment, find a secondary to deal with your mains tough matchups, learn from losing, frequently play people who can kick the crap out of you, etc) I was going to type an abridged version in my post until I realized that you did it at the end. :laugh: I do have to argue though that becoming pro is unrealistic for a vast majority of people though because "pro" suggests that you are possibly good enough at the game that you could do it for a living even if you were making the equivalent of minimum wage. Nitpicking, granted, but I thought like throwing it out there.
THen nobody is Pro at Brawl.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Because nationals just happen so often.

M2K wins nationals, case closed.

What's with people's standards these days D:

:050:
This is the point that people getting worked up over viability discussions tend to miss.

Worrying about what characters are viable to win a national tourney is a moot point for 99.9% of us.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Since I'm 16 smash is like my first job lolol

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Less hanging on Fiction's nuts, less abstract questions that don't really matter in a match, less johns about Peach, more hard thinking about your character and the game, more workdoing.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
If you don't like your character, you're going to end up not doing well in any regard. You won't have the will power to get good. There will be times when you lose, and though it sounds odd, if you don't like your character, you'll get frustrated with him/her, and your performance will drop. It's very important to choose a character that you deeply enjoy playing, otherwise, you'll never be able to reach a peak of professional gameplay.
Hm not sure... at first I HATED Snake because he is SOOOOOOOO Un-Nintendo. I picked him up some time because of the leopard costume and I learned to do well with him. This was the time he became my 2nd Main (1st was Falco) and I thought of choosing a better color (green snake ftw ;)). I got better and better with him and ***** a lot of People with him. Falco was nevertheless my main. Then I had a clanwar and did bad with Falco. That was the Time i stopped playing Falco (I liked Falco very much and now too but i dont play him anymore). So Snake was now my 1st Main. I played him more and more and I'm now at a point where I am one of the best Snakes in Germany and I **** a lot of People (Including Falcos etc.).

My Point is that I hated Snake at first, but now I LOVE him, his playstyle is SOOOOOOOOOO great and never gets boring. And my old Main Falco, which I liked a much (I was good but not good enough) is not in my Top 3 now o_O

So I dont think you have to like the character. I think you should just play the character with which you do best. (Well I also began to play MK and do well and I hate him... also now I hated him, I hate him and I will hate him forever, just a side-note ;))

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
THen nobody is Pro at Brawl.
M2K, Azen, Chillin, Ninjalink, Ally, Atomsk, Futile, Reflex, Inui, etc could probably do this. I didn't say that they had to, it's just that they have enough talent that they COULD if the oppurtunity was open and more reasonable. It's like with professional sports, there are a ton of people who play in the minor leagues and for various schools from high schools to colleges to even the miltary but less than one percent actually make it to the big show and even fewer become all that recognized during their career.

Top Bottom