• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To be clear about lines issues, you need to update your gecko OS AND have the gameconfig.txt file. Both are important.

Yes, I'm a liar about that having been my last post for the night...

Allow me to explain the thinking on Bowser. Once his horrible matchup in King Dedede is removed, he has just plain generally poor performance. It's not that he has crippling flaws... He is just plain too unrewarding for the inherent disadvantages he has (slow, huge, projectile spammable, etc.). The Bowser boards actually seem to support this view by representing him as losing a ridiculous number of matchups 45-55 and 40-60. The solution, then, is to just buff how rewarding his basic gameplan is. Like, ftilt is a good poke a good Bowser will use a lot. If he got a little more out of it each time, it would be so much better for Bowser. Generally, across the board, Bowser saw a lot of small damage buffs. At least one person has seemed to fall into the temptation of taking a single one, writing it off as insignificant, and judging the job done incompetent since you can do that for all of them individually. Look at the bigger picture. Bowser is now more REWARDING for his disadvantages. It's a way better solution than removing his weaknesses that made him what he is...

I will throw out to _clinton_ for Ness that the dthrow change is probably the most substantive one other than his natural benefits from grab release. I'd focus mostly on it though Ness being able to be used without the constant counterpick worry alone is a good cause for his re-evaluation (see also: Fox and Donkey Kong).

If ZSS mains refuse to use the fsmash like this, they are refusing to use a quality move. It doesn't have to be fast. It doesn't have to combo into anything. It has obscene range so when it's rewarding to hit with as an independent unit; it's a good move. A statement like that is kinda frustrating for me. Presume we lived in a world wherein standard Brawl King Dedede's forward tilt was unsafe on hit and only did 2% damage. Obviously like that it would be useless. Would you say then that it could only be useful if we made it faster or it comboed into something, or would a version that is the same speed as always that was rewarding enough to be the beastly spacing move we all know and love (or loathe?) be adequate? ZSS's fsmash is in this same boat. It's a spacing move and an independent damage dealing move; I'm not sure why a move that fulfills two useful functions like that wouldn't be used.

With both the ZSS fsmash change and the Bowser dair change, I think any disconnect in understanding how fundamental and useful these changes are is coming from not seeing them in action which may lead to some misinterpretations of the purposes of these moves. I can't stress enough how important playtesting changes is to understanding them. Like, the Bowser dair change... Just think about Yoshi's down aerial except with a bigger hit area. A clean hit does 37%; it's very significant. It frankly does not matter that the move is slow and laggy. It does 37% on a clean hit and is safe on hit. 37% is a huge amount of damage even by Bowser's standards. It's worth it.

As per the issue of us not maining every character and such, it's true, but it's not that big of a deal. Like I've said before, both of us are extremely academic about this game and live in a very character diverse region. We actually understand the whole cast pretty well even if we're not so good at actually playing most of them. In any case, the origin of a work shouldn't be considered when evaluating a work. We feel as though our changes as a whole are of high quality, and if they are of such high quality (which is something that only playtesting can truly reveal), then whether we "should" be able to make them is not important.

In any case, engaging a bunch of outside people on the design level isn't a good idea. With any large scale project, the design needs unity of purpose by designers who are all individually extremely dedicated. Thinkaman and I see eye to eye on almost all significant issues and have a very similar vision for this project that allows us to work effectively as a team, to the point where we could have been one person who is abnormally good at catching his own mistakes and can do twice as much work as a normal perosn. Adding in more people damages that, and in general it's a good way to deal a death blow to such a project.

Of course, that being said, we do take the opinions of everyone who playtests the game very seriously. We understand our natural limits as two people (perhaps moreso as two people who think similarly), and we know the community will find issues we never could have found internally and has a lot of valuable perspectives. It's a subtle distinction, but it's an important one. Suggestions that look at the original Brawl characters and say how any given individual would have gone about rebalancing them are of limited utility, but strong data about how a character as a whole performs and, if it's inadequate, why they are underperforming is really critical to the success of this project.

Bladewing

Smash Apprentice
I approve of this project 100%. I just wish there was a way to make this standard.

edit: I would like texture hacks, custom character select sreen, etc to be here as well.

TreK

Is "that guy"
yeah this is one of the stuff that I don't agree with. You removed infinites because a single error could cost a stock, then you add that. weird ._.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
umm lol u add the texture codes. i have em from another code list

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
While everyone will disagree on the details, good freaking job anyway. This is the exact project that I tried to push for with the Brawl+ crowd, but they didn't want to hear it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I approve of the water hazard. It puts a curb on Water Camping, which made that stage so unplayable, so now we can have good fights on the Ship itself, which is sexy.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol look at his water vids XD
Rykoshet fell victim to it twice

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yoshi:
Side B now refreshes double jump...
So whos wench do I have to become to thank for this. :)

Ganondorf:
Entire section, and the writing of it.
The King approves..

This seems even more fun than Brawl+ just because well...its all epic 0_0

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Good stuff. I had wanted to try Brawl+ but was very "meh" about it... and now I want to try this, and am "excited" about it. I like Brawl at its CORE, and from what has been described/vids I've seen/etc, you've done a good job. I can't wait to give it a go!

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I looked through the first half of the thread and didn't notice anyone ask this, so I thought I'd ask out of my own curiosity.

Has there been any consideration to nerfing the cars on Port Town Aero Dive? The stage is already pretty viable, but I believe a lot of people's reasoning on not carrying the stage as a CP is because of how badly the cars can punish you. Doing such a thing would then possibly quiet a good deal of naysayers, and if this ever did become tourney viable, people wouldn't be so quick to ban it. And that's always good imo.

Fisherington

Smash Cadet
taking out chaingrabs is stupid, they were even in melee
I dont even main falco but hes going to be a horrible character now
If that were true, then vBrawl Falco would've been horrible when his opponent got past 50%. Guess what, he WASN'T.

The fact that you admit you don't main Falco is a bit detrimental to your credibility, actually.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol i like the idea of toning don the cars. more than anything make their knockback the same as the shy guys on mario circuit

jalued

Smash Lord
im very happy by this. now people can choose: so they want to play brawl but balanced, or do they want brawl+ with combos and balance :D yay now its best of both worlds!!

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Even though BBrawl is trying to balance the game.
Its still not vbrawl, the buffs are all well and good...but say the water modification, and the game changers, those are different enough that someone CAN say "well we dont want it."

Not to menition the whole hacking scene is hard to get into just because its a hacked version.

So its not a choice between Bbrawl and Brawl+
Its still vbrawl, BBrawl and Brawl+

That being said...can the height of yoshi's egg lay be lower (When the egg comes out it goes up pretty high)

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
i tried Luigi a sec ago and i like the fire ball speed increase.
its a good spamming move and racks up damage fast

and lol at Luigi's inescapable dash attack

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
Although I love Brawl+, I wouldn't mind giving this a try. I can't wait to give it a go.

Almost upsetting DK didn't change at all. But then again, he didn't really need to.

Good work!

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
hoorah for unity^ but ill give brawl plus a shot today too =P

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
You're about to question the viability of holding a frame three move in a situation where you can read an opponent's tendencies?

you're not hitting on frame 3, you HAVE to do the two jabs first at some point.
it means he watched you stand there and spam A and jumped into you, go **** yourself

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Merely placing my thoughts.
the removal of the cavern in spear pillar is kinda...lame >.<
The map feels SOOO small now, and the cut off is huge, a downward hit can be immensely powerful here.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol cressala is slightly more deadly now and the random floor breaks by palkia and dialga are priceless XD

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, after watching Rykoshet's Pirate Ship match (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTg_Vcuv60) this is what I have to say about the swimming.

You have completely crippled Ganondorf there and possibly other characters who do not have as long as swimming durations as other characters. Of course this stops stalling in the water but, it is still bad execution to some extent. For one, this stage is probably now one of Ganondorf's WORST stages... as once you get him in the water or lure him there, he's dead, he's gone, bye bye. It's actually completely unfair to Ganondorf because he does better in the water some times than on land due to his Dair and Down B. Now you have completely crippled his options in the water, and due to the amount of time it takes to resurface for Ganon, by the time he does, he's already drowned. That's totally unfair.

How to remedy this? Make everyone's swimming duration the same amount of frames (using the frame speed modifier, which you guys haven't used ONCE yet) and then make the change to flailing being drowning. It makes water stages WORSE for probably most of the characters, especially Ganondorf, which was completely not a good idea.

Good idea, bad execution imo.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
hmm make the 90% instant drowning a tad longer like half a sec to 2 secs to jump out

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I totally support this project.

I'm curious though, as to why you would reduce the knockback on snakes 3rd jab if so much of the cast can powershield it by just holding shield. Unless it's spaced right on the tip of the first jab.

And I'm really excited to play with the QD buff, if I could ever figure this hacking thing out, and tell my guys theres no harm in soft modding a wii.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
ok since its not allowed to support hax but u nee 2 things
a sd card and a reader

check wii brew.com 4 banner bomb

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
You *******s are trying to steal our popularity. Don't you dare contact a popular news site and not mention that this is merely an OFFSHOOT of Brawl+ because you are using code made SPECIFICALLY for Brawl+.

We don't mind people coming up with creative offshoots for Brawl+, but please do not give the impression that you exercised this concept of balancing Brawl first.

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/fans-rewrite-brawl-to-balance-characters/
shutup, they gave credit where deserved and put in alot of work with a usbgecko. don't complain about things you have NO idea about. people like you make me sick.. this has a different goal than brawl+ and both are excellent mods

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Thank you guys so much for doing this! I cannot express how glad I am for this, I never truly liked the idea of Brawl+ because they never really balanced anything they just changed it. This is more along the lines of what Nintendo themselves should have done.

All I can say is I hope Nintendo is watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom