• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
I never thought that Brawl would have so many problems that they would make different versions like they're doing.

I guess Sakurai really ****ed up.

Revven

FrankerZ
You *******s are trying to steal our popularity. Don't you dare contact a popular news site and not mention that this is merely an OFFSHOOT of Brawl+ because you are using code made SPECIFICALLY for Brawl+.

We don't mind people coming up with creative offshoots for Brawl+, but please do not give the impression that you exercised this concept of balancing Brawl first.

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/fans-rewrite-brawl-to-balance-characters/
Slashy, stfu, you're an idiot.

Thank you guys so much for doing this! I cannot express how glad I am for this, I never truly liked the idea of Brawl+ because they never really balanced anything they just changed it.
Bolded: Shows exactly how much you know about Brawl+.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Haha this is a great proyect. The TL upB fix is cool :O. An fsmash that connects like brawl+'s wouldnt be bad either. :p

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
You *******s are trying to steal our popularity. Don't you dare contact a popular news site and not mention that this is merely an OFFSHOOT of Brawl+ because you are using code made SPECIFICALLY for Brawl+.

We don't mind people coming up with creative offshoots for Brawl+, but please do not give the impression that you exercised this concept of balancing Brawl first.

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/fans-rewrite-brawl-to-balance-characters/
Brawl+ is not about balancing Brawl, WTH are you saying?

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
ok umm SSBBC
super smash brothers brawl complete

SSBB DX

Super smash bros brawl Directors cut( as in tweaks that should have already be in)

XD Thats all i got

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
As a pikachu main, i'm kinda worried. A lot of Pikachu's Matchups, and hell, DEFINITELY his tier placement are due to his CGs. YOu took away a MAJOR part of pikachu's game, and gave him...nothing. As you said, pikachu can't really combo out of any of his grabs anymore, and that isn't fair to pikachu. Make his grab animation longer so he can't CG, but don't add frames to the end which will eliminate a MAJOR part of his gameplay. That definitely drops him to WAY below diddy level, considering pikachu wasn't there WITH the CGs. You should at least buff something like damage on fair and D-smash. Hell, you could even make it harder to DI out of D-smash, but have the last hit NOT knock you straight up so we can't use it as a guaranteed thunder chase, and also increase the damage per hit. CGing was a major damage racker against 80% of the cast, and now he is lost because that was taken away. I haven't played it so i don't know from experience, but somebody please inform me on what was done to make pikachu playable. I mean, he can't even grab COMBO anymore, which was used against EVERYBODY. People who pikachu couldn't CG, he could always F-throw Usmash for a good 24%, which really helps him. Without it...he is either going to have to camp more or get in close range more without the opponent fearing getting grabbed...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'll just give an overall opinion in its entirety.

This project has potential. It really does. It's a preview, and I do like some of the changes

However, its main goal really seems to be holding it back A LOT. The overall goal that "no one should have any problem moving between standard Brawl and Balanced Brawl."

As it is, you're limiting yourself to only fixing the most glaringly obvious flaws. However, if you want to make "Balanced" Brawl as balanced as possible, you have to make some hitbox modifications.

But the overall goal prevents that. Why does Wolf's nair never work as it should (literally no hitstun)? Why can a person punish Sheik's fsmash by not performing DI and just shield in-between? Why is Toon Link's fsmash not even considered a move by some because you can get Dragon Punched/Dolphin Slashed/Rested out of landing it?

Why are Snake's tilts not reduced in size somehow? Should ftilt 2nd hit really be the longest ranged move in the game? With that kind of animation? In such a defensive-focused game?

These are the little problems, that add up to making the vBrawl experience EXTREMELY poor for some people unless of course...

you used a S tier.

Also it seems like you guys kinda had trouble trying to balance anyone in the middle of the spectrum (Peach, Toon Link, etc.). Buffs like Peach Bomber and better grounded UpB, which are like literally borderline useless/situational moves. The goal is to become as good as Diddy, but it seems like a lot of characters that are truly "mediocre" don't get anything too helpful. It doesn't fix their problems and really just seems to sugarcoat them instead of improving them.

Then there's people like Marth who lost stuff that say, made the MK and Wario match-ups bearable but get nothing in return.

Finally, I really do think you guys should take more people under your wing. I really can see there wasn't enough input here and there. And a team of two similar-minded people won't make this project truly live up to its name.

I would complain about Ganon's upB and that it needs a slight tone-down, but I'm just gonna be ignored. Mostly because this is a wall of text and that I have a grape-colored name. I've watched this thread somewhat closely, and I can say a lot of the people posting here and truly ignoring people on the basis of their name color lmao.

I couldn't expect any less from people in that regard.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I could find you quotes by Seibrik (placed 9th at Apex) that say why tech chasing is mostly a waist, and why you should just bthrow. Also, you forget they can tech and hit us, so that makes 5. 5 options to 1. Taking out DDDs chain grab is like taking out Wario's aerial movement capabilities.

When an opponent sees you waiting to grab them, they go for the edge or deep in the stage. The dthrow spike has impossibly limited options, and is just as limited and for show as the Luigi dtaunt spike.

It is not impossible to take the infinite out, while keeping the chain grab.
I don't need to play in this one, I've played in Brawl +, I main DDD in vBrawl and have played against non-chaingrabable characters, not to mention I watch every high level play DDD video, because I run the DDD video thread, and tech chasing in the highest levels does not happen successfully anymore.

Taking out the chain grab is something out of personal spite for chain grabs, and less for balance. DDDs non-infinite chain grab does not hurt balance.
Three things.
1. We can't remove the infinite without removing the cg.
2. Even if we could, it would still be an infinite in corners.
3. It requires walk-off stages to be banned almost just because of DDD.

It simply isn't a good thing to leave in.

Furthermore, you really, really need to try DDD's new tech chasing game before you knock it. It's really, really good. As in, so good that we considered nerfing DDD more, but decided it would be premature. You have to understand that this tech chase is better than what DDD is used to doing on existing characters, much better. Furthermore, the new, better tech chasing applies to those characters too!

Finally, opponents can sometimes tech the throw, but that makes things EASIER for DDD! The tech animation lasts just as long as the flop, so the only thing they are doing is preventing the slide and reducing the distance DDD needs to move. Players stop trying to tech it after like 2 times, lol.

Edit: something important I wanted to ask. If you know what "phantom lag" is (also known as Triple Jump Glitch, or RCO by the Ganondorfs) did you do anything about that?
I think you guys forgot to include the triple jump glitch fix. The one that eliminates recovery carryover lag.
This might be controversial, but we decided for the time being to leave this in. Ganons in particular already plan around it and do things like side-b the ledge. I would rather buff Ganon than remove a weakness just because it is a glitch.

In general, weaknesses are very, very good things since they make the characters unique. It is only when they drastically polarize the character's matchup that they should be changed.

When you hit someone with an auto trip move twice they don't trip a second time. How would a move trip infinitely just by being fast enough to hit before they can roll away?
But these TECHNICALLY aren't trip moves, they are "slip" moves like Diddy's bananas! That means they *can* double slip.

I also find it weird that Yoshi's Fair pitfalls people when it would be a better fit on his down b. DK and Ganon both have to commit to a laggy move for that kind of reward while Yoshi can DI during it and double jump away from a short hop Fair.
Yep, it's a reasonably realistic move. However, it's still very slow on startup, unlike Ganon's, and DK has Giant Punch. Testing so far has been favorable about the Yoshi fair change, I hope more people paly around with it and try new things out. It's really intended to be a threatening pressure tool.

What gives with Sonics classification lol?

MAJOR buffs, GAME CHANGER in the form of a buffed spring spike (which already spiked) which is completely avoidable by MC'ing and +1 damage to some attacks? thats hardly any more than the characters who received 'minor buffs'. seriously take a look at one second to the degree of changes other characters in his rank got compared to him. Who are you trying to fool here lol?

Imo... switch the damage boost from dair to uair. uair is far more useful, increasing the damage on a hardly used attack while barely touching a comparatively weak, very useful attack is pretty pointless imo :/

removing jablocks is also silly. They are extremely situational and require a degree of skill on one players part and the enemy not DI'ing etc correctly to land it. Why remove it? a perfectly legitimate tool to be used by certain characters gone because... why? top tier characters like mk, snake, wario etc dont have jablocks therefore all the low tier characters who do are unfair?

I really dont understand whats is being 'balanced' when you buff high tier characters, (including wario, no GR = how hard is it going to be to KO him now) and barely even touch some low tier characters. this may close the gap between MK and falcon but it certainly doesnt look like lower tiered characters are going to be made the slightest bit more viable with such tiny changes to many of them
changes that make a differece:
Ike is now almost completely ungimpable unless you counter aether

changes that dont make a difference
make a few, rarely used attacks do +1%

the degree of changes doesnt really bother me atm since this isnt exactly a final version, but Sonics 'buffs' are clearly no where near as good as any character in his rank, and are worse than some characters ranked 'a few minor buffs' (possibly wolf and ZSS).
First, Sonic isn't a low-tier character anymore, even in standard Brawl. :p

Second, Sonic has ben one of the most favored characters by test groups. "Perfect" is the word they use. Let me explain.

Sonic's spring definitely did not spike before. Now it definitely does. It's very, very good, although moreso against some like Link and less so against some like ROB. This is a very big deal, some testers who don't main Sonic picked him up in testing JUST for spring kills!

Furthermore, the extra damage to uair and dash attack is really important. Dash attack being buffed really emphasizes Sonic's punish-centric playstyle, and the uair buff lets one of his best KO options kill a little soon. Dair and d-tilt were buffed in damage BECAUSE they were bad moves, to round out the character a little.

Also, ironically, Sonic is really, really good at gimping Ike now.

1)is BBrawl gonna keep damage decay? i feel like that was an unnecessary obstacle that hurt characters alot more than helped.

2)camping was one of the things that really made regular brawl suck with characters like MK and snake; how does reduced knockback to a few moves bring an end to unbalanced campy ****fests?
Stale moves is a very important part of Brawl, because it adds a layer of resource management. Instead of just throwing out whichever move would be best in any given situation, you have to consider saving the move. This project does not seek to remove depth from the game, only imbalance.

I'm not sure what aspect of camping you want addressed. We are investigating solutions to limit ledgestalling, and MK in particular can no longer use nado as leverage for stalling, especially on Luigi's Mansion.

Can you improve Shiek's whip so it's actually useful?
Buffing the chain would have no effect on most characters and a TERRIBLE effect on others, especially Ganondorf. It's a bad idea, and if Sheik is to be buffed in the future, I would prefer to look at other options.

I am very interested to have future discussions with the Zelda and Sheik community. Working towards a cohesive character with two sides is not easy.

falcons game changer is trippin people.
l-o-l
Fueled by irony!

Is it not possible to give moves a chance to trip? Because I find forced drip on moves that didn't have it previously a terrible change in gameplay. I wants sex change back.
It is disruptive, for sure. Initially, testers were split on if it was a good idea or not. However, after playing with them, testers greatly prefered the new behavior.

Falcon mainly likes to raptor boost away rolls out of d-tilt, and chase with uairs. It's very natural for him.

Ganondorf has an entire new layer of tech chasing with it. I've done over 60% in a single tech-chasing chain against humans. It's a huuuuge buff once you get used to it, it gives Ganon so many options that fit in with his existing game.

Also, while I like the push on quake I don't think that having wizkick apply pitfall is worth losing the meteor. I've always found it far more useful in vbrawl and b+ to be able to kill up with it than have a permanent spike. That's what I use dair for...
The thing is, the grounding effect fits into that tech chasing game I just described. Jekyll started grounding people out of side-b get-up-attacks, and absolutely wrecking them! Landing even one grounding down-b is incredible damage and will let you KO above 75% or so, and side-b and tripping d-tilt make it a realistic move to land.

I disagree with some changes. Removing Wario's grab release makes him the best character in the game, because all his bad matchups (D3, Marth, Peach) are based on the grab release.

Also, G&W's bucket braking should be removed to balance him, IMO...otherwise, he's a lot better as his counters (MK and Snake) are nerfed.

But I really like the idea.
Most high-level Wario mains were surprisingly apathetic to the grab release change. "Who cares, I don't get grabbed 'cause I'm Wario." It think they were exagerrating and it is a legit buff to Wario, but it's not the biggest deal.

Wario is on my watch list though, I can tell you that. G&W too. ;)

I'm fine with the buffs I've seen with Yoshi. However I see that some of them kinda should've been justified in other spots (like the Fair buff). If I need to either argue for the thoughts I think would help Yoshi be a much more viable character, then so be it. Hell, I'll even test it out for you if you need the help.

As far as I know, Yoshi's throws, and the SDI on his Dair should've been improved.
I really do think fair is a Yoshi buff that people need to try. It looks bad on paper, but in practice feels natural and lets Yoshi pressure and KO better. It compliments his bair nicely.

We wanted to buff Yoshi throws, but are not able to. Instead, we settled on a 50% buff to his pummel.

wario's aerial friction should be nerfed in order to make him move around a little less than jiggs imo. jiggs is the quintessential aerial floaty character, it makes no sense wario is better at it.
Jigglypuff is already faster in the air (horizontally) than Wario. Wario is faster vertically, but so is every character in the game.

Trust me, I know Jigglypuff. ;)

W-wow... I'm shocked about this. O_O

Uh... you said you removed grab-release chain-grabs. How so? Did you reduce the amount of grab-release frames? Can I still chain-grab with Yoshi?

No, the aerial grab release animation ends sooner for all characters. Yoshi's chaingrab is removed, although we intended to account for this in his pummels. I hope you do some testing and report back on what you think.

I'm confused by what you mean by "refreshes." Does that mean that you could double jump, egg roll, and then double jump again, kinda like Falcon's/Ganon's down-B in Melee?
Yes, this is similar behavior. Yoshi does not fall helplessly after Egg Roll now as part of this, letting him use it to "Egg Brake" recover like G&W.

First impressions after an hour and a half of playing this!

-Falcon's pummel is hilarious, awesome job on that XD
-Luigi's fireball doesn't need to be that fast, it's kind of ridiculous.
-Why didn't Mario's fireball get a speed increase? I think he needs it more?
-This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think anyone would object to Jigglypuff's rest getting buffed a little.
-Is MK's mach tornado faster? I don't really play him but when I tried him it seemed like changing directions happened faster (which was kiiiiind of silly). It could just be my imagination I guess.
-Temple. I'm not sure what's going on there, and I'm also not sure if I like it. The cave was my favorite part, but that's a personal thing (it's fun to practice teching)
-Ness's PK Fire is really good now, maybe too good?

That's all I remember at the moment.

All in all: Fun, exciting, looking forward to watching this progress.
First, thanks for the testing and feedback! This is great!

Luigi's fireball is sort of like Dyn's Fire; it seems "too good" until you get used to blocking it, in which case it isn't really a big deal at all. It only helps Luigi pressure peopel into approaching him without making himself vulnerable. It's nasty in lag, though. :p

Mario's problem wasn't approach, since he can shoot his fireballs while moving forward in the air. (This is a massive part of his playstyle.) A damage buff was much more desired and natural for Mario, and testers have widely approved of this change. People like the new Mario *a lot*.

I addressed Rest earlier, so for the sake of time I'll speed ahead.

Nado's mobility isn't changed, it was always that good! :p

Temple is sort of just an "experiment". I do think it is interesting now for teams matches!

PK Fire is definitely possible to DI still, just harder. I suggest quarter-sticking up and away.

Great idea guys good luck with this proyect... I just have a couple of things I think can be really useful to add:

1) I agree with Winnar, you should buffer at least a little Jigglypuff´s rest
2) Maybe do something similar to Ness´ PK Thunder as you did to Ike´s QD. I still thinks is unfair for poor Ness to have such a bad recovery, maybe you can exchange one of Ness´buffs like Ness dthrow with a buff in his recovery
Ike's problem was mainly one of mobility, which included recovery. Ness's recovery is bad, but he doesn't suffer from that larger, fundamental problem. For that reason, we can stick to buffing Ness's strengths so he can remain a unique character. For example, there is no reason to buff Olimar's recovery, and his is much worse than Ness's.

Don't underestimate d-throw; having a throw that does 14% damage and combos into aerials on the character with the best dash grab i nthe game is ridiculous.

I'd like to touch on my main briefly.

These changes betray a bit of a lack of knowledge of her metagame. Peach Bomber is considered virtually useless in play, and never used in tournament except to slingshot off pillars and refresh moves, and for recovery (not as an attack). Forward smash, meanwhile, is not used for kills. The low cooldown of it and the raised angle make it an ideal anti-aerial spacing tool, and it is abused to shut down Marth (Stutter step a Fsmash backwards if he tries to tipper a fair, he misses and gets fsmashed).

As such, increasing fsmash knockback does little to increase her kill potential. She'll still find Snake living to 250% every stock, and in fact be very little changed.

Kill power IS her biggest problem, however.

I'd suggest, rather (or additonally), either reducing the lag frames on her airdodge (she has the worst airdodge in the game by a ridiculous margin), or instead buffing her fthrow (her throw game is virtually useless once the opponent passes 50% or so, and fthrow doesn't kill G&W until 200% FRESH, I've tested >_<).

In fact, I think increasing fthrow kill power by 50% or more is the best option. Peach is really good at lining up grabs with her ability to autocancel all her aerials and punish spotdodges, but she can't do anything out of the grabs after the opponent passes 50% and can't be combo'd into a utilt or chased into anything from dthrow, and we just bthrow for damage.

Since Peaches never, ever use either fthrow or uthrow, they seem ideal for a buff. And Fthrow was a Melee kill move that was nerfed.

Buff her airdodge (bettering her defensive game) or give her an fthrow that kills G&W at 150% w/DI instead of 200.
If you want to make Peach's Peach Bomber useful, make it impact shields. The reason it's useless is that if the opponent shields, Peach passes through them harmlessly, then lands with a lot of lag. They just shield the easily-visible move, then punish with anything they want.

If the Peach Bomber interacted with shields, Peach would safely bounce off a shield, requiring a spotdodge or an attack to actually punish the Peach Bomber. THAT would make it useful.

It just seems to me that the changes you made will make zero difference to her metagame...I might get one kill in the entire set with fsmash, usually not even that...and I never use Peach bomber, except against Olimar (since the bomber interacts with Pikmin and isn't punishable as Peach bounces).

You can't increase the knockback of throws? :(

Oh, she's got one other useless move, if you want to look at buffing- Dtilt. Dunno if you can do anything with it though haha. It's got a tiny tiny spike hitbox inside her body- I've only actually landed it once, ever, and on accident at that as someone jumped through me under a platform.

EDIT: What about a ftilt buff? I don't use it particularly often and sometimes end up using it for kills because it's the only thing still fresh and end up killing MK at 160% or so with it since I haven't used it the entire match. Bump its knockback up 10-20% and it becomes something to save.

Or just leave her the same and increase the frequency of dot-eye and stitchface pulls. LOL

I know I'm suggesting a pile of things, just pick one XD

Regardless, I like this project better than B+.
Praxis, first I want to thank you for your input. I mean this. I am actually specifically worried about Peach personally, and intended to post in your general discussio nat some point in the future.

First, let me state a few starting points. We can't buff throws, at all. Sorry. Futhermore, I really don't want to see Peach's air dodge buffed any more than I want to buff Bowser or G&W's roll, DDD's spot dodge, Meta Knight's aerial mobility, Olimar's recovery, or any other unique weakness. If the weakness isn't crippling and doesn't polarize her matchups, I think it is best for us to focus on improving the character's existing strengths to maintain their unique identity. Removing weaknesses is the first step dow nthe road of making all characters the same in the name of balance, so we only want to do that where we MUST to ensure reasonable matchups. (Ike, Luigi, and Ivysaur)

I don't want to commit to any change for Peach, say I would prefer buffing certain moves in the future, or even that she needs further buffs; only testing will decide that, not my opinion on the character or anyone else's. However, I will say that for Peach, a lot of things are on the table. If Peach is shown to need more buffs, we will talk to educated Peach mains like yourself and investigate lots of different options.

Yeah, I'm with Praxis in that you guys don't really understand certain character's metagame...

ZSS's F-smash is not a kill move, and it never will be, it is far too punishable. It's not used because of terrible starting and ending lag. It still won't be used if it's a bit stronger.

If you want to buff the move, remove some lag. Otherwise, the buff I would suggest is make it so jab 2 combos into jab 3.

If you want to give her a better killing power, increase the knockback of bair, fair, or down-B
Well, it is now! :p

But seriously, the f-smash buff is a really, really big deal. It makes d-smash equal DEATH a lot sooner. This is actually one of the biggest knockback buffs given to a general move. Also, the healthy amount of extra damage on the back swing is a pretty nice bonus, it's not really anything to scoff at.

As Ampharos said, Holms and other testers found ZSS to be effective with this one change. After playing yourself in several matchups you might agree, or possibly not! I hope you are able to test so that we can get more feedback on this character.

Ike is gonna stall like a MF if this code ever is used in a tournament. You say you want to keep character weaknesses (when Praxis talked about Peach's nonsensical air dodge) but then you give someone with one of the worst recoveries in the game, one of the best ones? Ike could travel under too many level with Brawl+ gravity and no helpless fall on side-b, can you imagine what it will be like with regular Brawl gravity?

I do want to offer a word of wisdom:

Remember there are two sides to every change. A seemingly good change, like Ike's QD, sounds great on paper. Ike gets a lot of cool off the stage antics. But you have given him a massive recovery boost and a new tool that can be used for stalling.
First, you are preaching to the choir about changing have multiple effects. And their is not just 2 sides to the coin, there are 39!

I'm not sure what you mean about QD being used for stalling though. Like, at all. Could you explain?

The fact ROB got no changes at all kind of scares me...he has absolutely no way to get kills at high levels of play. The opponent HAS to seriously mess up for you to get a kill.
While I approve of the idea of balancing Brawl, I find it unlikely to occur on any standardized scale.

Although, just FYI, ROB is pretty bad. He currently has to be psychic to get any KOs that his opponents don't actually GIVE him. He needs some sort of move change to one of his potential KO moves to compete in todays metagame, let alone one where everyone else is improved.
ROB benefited more than almost anyone from the nerfs MK recieved, and he likes the Wario nerfs too. It is also very uncertain how much some of the low-tier buffs will impact him, as well as how ROB will perform on stages that are now playable. There is a lot of unknown about ROB in this new meta-game, so for the time being we are playing it safe and waiting to see how ROB does. In testing he has done at least decently, I personally doubt he would be "low-tier".

I hope we're about to get a lot of hand-on ROB data from people who know what they are talking about, to make sure ROB is where he needs to be.

Hey AA (and Thinkaman, of course),

We had a fairly good discussion on Ike on IRC and I (as well as a few other quality [not that I am calling myself a quality user] users, of course) had a few ideas that could go further in addressing your goal so as to "address Ike's weaknesses". We essentially came up with a few things which I'll place into "supported" and "We'll see if it works out" categories.

The main weakness we wanted to deal with was the immense ease with which it is possible to shut down Ike with proper shielding, lowering defenses only to combo Ike and then retreat. I'll list what we came up with that we think are very tame options that'll make Ike somewhat of a threat if he grabs you.

Supported:

1) Increase Ike's pummel damage from 3% to 4% and give it a cannon sound (just for kicks, haha). This serves to give him a way to refresh his moves and increase the damage his overall throw game does.

2) Make Ike's Down Throw work like Game and Watch's Down Throw in that it becomes a weak meteor that the opponent can tech and Ike can then tech chase. Increase the damage by a bit, to like 8% or 9% or so.

3) Ike is really bad at dealing with well played hit and run tactics and I feel that giving him Roy's counter would help in that regard. Make the countering frame from 8-23 with the same cooldown frame of 58 or whatever it was. This makes it faster but it lasts less (15 frames) and has a ton of cooldown. Increase the damage to 1.5x, give it fire (optional, of course) and give it Roy's weird trajectory to give Ike something to deal with hit and run.

4) Ike currently has a 0-60% combo on Bowser that is pretty scary, if nothing else. I feel it's only fair to remove this by adding a very tiny bit of knockback to Ike's Back Throw. I think 1% more will do the trick well enough.

We'll see how it works out:

1) Ike's weak grab game could possibly be improved by giving him an Up Throw that does 12% damage, but this needs testing to see how it works out.

2) Likewise, Ike's Forward Throw could be made into a kill throw but, once again, it must be tested.

With these changes I believe that he will truly come to about "Diddy" level as those weaknesses won't be as glaring. He'll still have his bad assortment of flaws but they'll be mitigated somewhat.

Finally I must admit that you did an amazing job with Quick Draw. It opened up so many possibilities that were so easily capable of being done in Vanilla Brawl it's almost mind boggling as to why they didn't do it.
Sadly, we can't change throws.

Thanks for testing with Ike. We are hesitant to jump into more Ike changes immedaitely, since Quick Draw as you said is such a HUUUGE change; we need lots of players (like you) to continue investigating exactly what this huge change means for Ike's matchups and overall playstyle.

Also, if my opinion counts for anything, I'd say fix Peach's AD before any other change. Wario had a quirky weakness to grab releases (more so then anyone else) yet you fixed that. Grab releases could be considered a crippling weakness, I don't think asking for Peach to have a fair airddoge is that much to ask for.
Wario's grab release problem was polarizing his matchups though, which is the opposite of balance. Peach's is more of a general weakness. Like I said to Praxis, if Peach is shown to need further buffs (which is extremely possible), I would prefer to have Peach mains test buffs to their existing playstyle. We'll see how it goes, once there is enough experience on the table me and Ampharos will be happy to sit down the Peach (and other character) mains and discuss where their characters stand.

I'd like to recommend that ike's sword attacks do significantly more shield damage. ike loses fundamentally to shields much more than his speed or recovery. If you're going to attack ike's weaknesses, make shielding his attacks harder.

also requesting that his counter has the same frame usage and knockback as marth's. if anything, marth still makes better use of it due to his running speed. at least it wouldn't be a wasted move.

edit: can we make aether true to the game where ike heals half the damage he deals? lol.
We can't change counter sadly... (I'm going to disclose that I originally wanted to...)

Also, we have no way of changing shield damage. This is also a shame, since there are several specific cases where we were interested in using such.

Keep in mind though, that the upgraded Quick Draw is *almost* SAFE ON BLOCK! Only the fastest of buffered jabs can punish you; Quick Draw needs to be dodged to effectively counter. I hope you are able to play with this and see how it feels to you.

On another note, I get that this was kind of the point, but I feel that snake's up tilt downgrade was too drastic. In regular brawl I always erred on the high side of % to up tilt my opponent, generally doing it 20-30% later than I should, but I was kind of taken aback by seeing toon link only die to my up tilt at 175 after connection, that was kind of pushing it.
First, 175% sounds a little high. We didn't nerf it all that much, since we knew Snake was "very sensitive to u-tilt changes" as Ampharos put it.

Second, we intentionally left f-tilt and grenades alone. Snake is by no means bad. I probably shouldn't say this, but he's on my watch list of characters that might be a little too high. We'll see though; a lot of the upgraded low-tiers do REALLY good against Snake. (Link, Ivysaur...)

I just got done testing this thing (done on FD at the center point with a Mario set to control with no movement from the other player of course)

I have several things I found cool about it...but I'll just start with my mains...

Ness' bat new kill range from your damage buff...
71-116

It still sucks as a move overall...to compare DK's Fsmash kills at 72-78% and they pretty much come out on the same speed (but DK's has more range as well) Lucas' kills at 92% as well...if you wanted the counter example...
This Fsmash buff is overall better than some of the others I've seen though (one had a kill range of 58-73%)

PK Flash's kill power
The lowest point is at 41% when it is at full power...which is good...overall I don't have any issue with this buff...to compare PKT2's strong point killed at 33%

Overall I don't see the point of the yoyo buff...people can still avoid the large hit on it somewhat...personally IMO if you wanted to fix Ness' yoyo you would have to break some of your rules when it comes to movement speed IMO (the move just comes out too slow and recovers too slow)

I feel you should have buffed Ness' air game more...

The PK Fire buff seems ok so far...however I'm not 100% on it yet...

Also...I'm aware that you guys aren't really willing to change certain things by that much except for in rare cases like with Luigi's fireball...but have you ever looked at just how bad Ness' magnet truly is?

Looking into Lucas...

His jab combo doing 12% from 10% is badass...he already had a 2 frame jab and you just made it that much better...
His Bair can kill sooner and the spike is a lot stronger as well...personally I feel Fair would have been more deserving of that kill option as far as % goes...but whatever
PK Fire snipes better because of the damage buff of course...

I really think Ftilt could use a buff...it is a great move already...but it could be better if it did more %...

Also...Lucas' pummel was the best one in this game already...and it can always be better as well...

I don't really care much for PK Freeze's buff...
It isn't like PK Flash...where you can kill them at 41% if they **** up with you...granted it could maybe gimp now...but the move has a slower warm up and longer cool down time when compared to PK Flash's...so even the mind games for the Freeze are more limited (plus PK Flash has a much better vertical range going on it as well)...
My point is...you don't have to hit with PK Flash for it to have some use (even if it is limited) but with PK Freeze...you do have more pressure when it comes to landing the hit with it...

Also...their Dtilts have a high trip rate already...why not just go all the way with them?

Also...would it be asking too much for the official code sets to have the texture hack codes in them?
Thanks for playing with this and offering your input! I hope you get some matchup experience to share too, in the future; this is good stuff.

Ness f-smash: The bat is a damage move more than a KO move. Notice that the tip received a more substantial buff than the other hitboxes. That said, Ness's bat wasn't intended to be a really big buff, jsut round out his ground game a little.

Ness yo-yos: The Yo-yo buff is intended to be a minor buff that makes the yo-yos more consistent against the cast, since some characters had easy times avoiding the main hit previously. That behavior should be fixed with this small buff.

Ness's air game is already good to the point that we were worried buffing it might start to polarize his matchups; we certainly can't buff say, fair, and I'd be worried about throwing off Ness bair chains by changing it. Instead we decided to emphasize Ness's other strength, his grab game, as well as make Pk Fire more rewarding.

As for Lucas, what we were set on from day one was focusing on his ground game. His improved spot-dodge (rare exception to our no-timing-changes rule) and improved jab were the key of this. I think f-tilt still fits in perfectly, especially if you are staling jab more. Bair was buffed like Mario's fair; not because you hit with it often, but because when you do hit with it, you should probably be killing things.

Sadly, we cannot change trip rates. Falcon, Ganon, and Luigi actually have "slip" properties added, not traditional trip rates.

We will include the texture hack base code in future builds. I actually might go upload one with it in a bit, though yo uare fre to add it yourself if you want.

About Bowser, buffing the DAir seems like an excellent way to help him, but without changing startup or lag there is no point.

Bowser DOES NOT need random damage buffs. If you wanted to buff something besides DAir, try ungimping his FSmash so it kills as early as other heavyweights. Add super armor frames to Bowser Bomb to allow us to bomb the ledge and thus get back on stage easier.

Bowser does not have problems dealing damage.
You really need to try playing with this Bowser before you start dissing it.

Bowser will be doing an average of 5-10% more damage a stock, and killing with all those moves about 10% sooner. That's a big deal.

Furthermore, dair is one of the best shield pressure moves in the game. If their shield isn't full and they are blocking, this dair will demolish them. It can do over 40% damage! It also safely knocks away when it is done, which normally shield stabs even when the rest of the hits were blocked.

Between the two of you you can't possibly main all the characters so I have to say that I doubt that this will meet any success until you get more people on board (IE actual mains of the characters you change)
Why do you think this topic exists? I've said a million times that we was feedback, feedback, feedback.

Also I think you're much too conservative to possibly balance all the characters. The balance gap was not small in Brawl, and you need bigger changes to make a big enough impact to do more than make a game only slightly more balanced than Brawl (and thus not worth it to switch to).
You might be surprised how much of an impact the smallest of changes can have. A tiny nerf to Snake's u-tilt, and there are already someone in this thread saying they think it is too much. The fact is, our multiple playtest groups, of good players, have had good things to say about the changes. We're not going to release some busted version where Falcon auto-kills everyone and Meta Knight is worthless. Changes have to be small for the community to be able to "digest" them and gradually get a feel for the impact they will have. I already worry too much about big changes like Ike's, and spend an extra amount of time focusing on those.

BTW, the only way to make fsmash worth using is to make it faster or let it start combos. We'd still never, ever use it even after the buffs you gave it.
KO out of d-smash. ;) Trust me, the move is worth using now. Of course, the experience players like you are able to offer is far more valuable than my words; give it a try and se what you think.

taking out chaingrabs is stupid, they were even in melee
I dont even main falco but hes going to be a horrible character now
I actually played a lot of Falco last night, and a lot more against a Falco main. Falco isn't bad at all, b-throw to bair or uair is really obnoxious damage. It can be avoided, but it's still good damage and Falco can generally chase people trying to DI out.

Try it before you make automatic assumptions.

That being said...can the height of yoshi's egg lay be lower (When the egg comes out it goes up pretty high)
Yoshi's Egg Lay actually counts as a grab/throw, so we have no way of changing it. A shame, since it was a move early on I was interesting in changing.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord

just a note for those of you who are apart of this project; please don't associate slashy's behavior with the rest of the brawl+ community. he's had quite the track record when it comes to doing/saying.. stupid things. his behavior is not encouraged by anyone with half a brain that enjoys brawl+ and i hope that you can disregard any further stupidity he may cause you guys in the future.

i wish nothing but luck for your project and that brawl+ and balanced brawl can hopefully coexist peacefully. it is to be expected with two similar projects that attitudes like slashy's would be inevitable and rather infectious.

good luck and press forward.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Brawl+ is not about balancing Brawl, WTH are you saying?
Uhhh...yeah, it is. What's the point of having a better Brawl if MK is still broken and the low tiers don't get any better? Brawl+, as far as I know, has two main goals:

1) Return gameplay to the Smash feel present in both 64 and Melee while retaining Brawl's character

2) Balance the characters to make every one tournament viable, with the goal being the equivalent of everbody being a mid-high character

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This is me telling everyone to stop flaming (and in turn defending, counter-attacking, and counter-defending) Brawl+. You've had like ten warnings. Back to replying...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'm kinda depressed I got ignored for posting a minute before Thinkaman's ultimate wall. <_____<

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Currently, the water needs fixing. On the beach stage at Delfino, you don't have to KO the opponent once he has a tiny bit of damage: just throw him into the water and watch him drown.

Heck, some characters could just jab the opponent while on the slant to knock them into the water for a VERY early KO.

You guys might also want to know this: There is a good chance the next time San Antonio has a tournament that this will be a side event. While I won't be there due to being in Canada for a while, they will hopefully give you some feedback.

I'll be interested to see if really nerfing SNake's Utilt really does change much. So Snake cannot kill at 100% on light weights. Good luck ever hitting them that early anyway, your more likely to get a bit more damage before the chance to get a clean hit ever arises anyway.

Nerfing jab3 seems rather pointless, I know hardly anyone that ever really kills with it, or even uses it at pro levels as it's easily punished by powershielding or DIing out of.

Still, testing before complaining.

Gea

Smash Master
What I don't get is the talk about obviously buffing the weakness that Wario did have (with no tradeoff) and then not giving peach her airdodge, which is different than things like DDD's spotdodge because on the ground you have more options, like shielding and rolling.

In the air all we can do is dair down and hope for the best. How would buffing it be negative to gameplay? It wouldn't take out her biggest weakness (KO move) but it would subtly make her more viable, even if you made her airdodge the same as Marth's (which is seen as bad, just not on the same level).

We aren't talking about Snake here. You buffed Yoshi and Ike's recovery. Those are BAD weaknesses for them... I just don't see the consistency in your mindset here.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
If ZSS mains refuse to use the fsmash like this, they are refusing to use a quality move.
Unless the knockback is substantially better than side-b, back air, or forward air, the 45 frames of lag at the end and the 20-something frames of start-up are a major deterrent. Understand that ZSS has no problem killing right now. Sometimes she has to wait until a slightly higher percent to get the kill, but forward smash killing earlier won't fix that because forward smash is bad for reasons other than kill power.

It doesn't have to be fast. It doesn't have to combo into anything. It has obscene range so when it's rewarding to hit with as an independent unit; it's a good move. A statement like that is kinda frustrating for me. Presume we lived in a world wherein standard Brawl King Dedede's forward tilt was unsafe on hit and only did 2% damage. Obviously like that it would be useless. Would you say then that it could only be useful if we made it faster or it comboed into something, or would a version that is the same speed as always that was rewarding enough to be the beastly spacing move we all know and love (or loathe?) be adequate? ZSS's fsmash is in this same boat. It's a spacing move and an independent damage dealing move; I'm not sure why a move that fulfills two useful functions like that wouldn't be used.
You are not properly comparing it to the rest of her moveset. It's not rewarding to use because side-b always does it better, even if it's decayed because it's safe on block and has less lag. If you're trying to kill or if you're trying to build damage, you always have better options unless you're saying the move kills at obscenely early percentages, earlier than her down-b kick or side-b (which I doubt).

With that said, I just won't use the move, so I'm not that concerned about that. What I am concerned about is the third hit of her jab, which is terrible in "normal" Brawl because it's powershielded just by holding "R" when they hit you with the first one. =/

shanus

Smash Hero
Thinkaman, when you talked about sonics spring, even though you changed the launch angle, you do know it is capable of an instant meteor cancel just by mashing, right? You can't edit spikes vs meteors in the game as its hard-coded in an area which the hitbox modifier code does not touch. This area is where hidden move properties such as reflections (not capes), invuln frames, etc, are stored. Just saying for your reference when defending these things.....

Gea

Smash Master
The spring still got a buff by its ability to "semi-spike" though, correct?

And I don't think some people understand the concept of this project. Small tweaks aren't going to instantly make every character level out and be on the same playing field, that (should) be obvious. Instead you're slowly working on taking the existing character and ironing out the rough parts until they are more viable.

I agree totally with some changes and dislike others, but the best way to suggest improvements would be to realize that ZOMG MAKE SONIC'S DSMASH LIKE META'S OLD ONE (not targetting Sonic users, mind you) isn't a change that is going to be considered.

I do think giving Bowser some super armor on his Fsmash and a few other changes like that would greatly help those characters when compared to the kind of buff Ike got though.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
This is a pretty neat project and a lot of people seem to warm up to the idea. I thought it was pretty neat. Don't take my opinion the wrong way, I just don't know what to think of this. Truthfully, its pretty daunting to see all these altered versions of brawl that are said to "make brawl better".

If you think about it, brawl wasn't that bad to start with. Sure its pretty unbalanced, there are a few problems that impair gameplay for some characters. But melee was also unbalanced and people didn't seem to have many problems with that.

In melee, how often do you see characters like Pichu, Mewtwo, Yoshi, or Kirby in tournaments? They are pretty underused, while characters like fox, Falco, captain falcon, and Marth are common player choices.

Brawl+ plays great, it's fast paced much like melee. However its a hacked version of a game that people still play competitively regardless of its skill difference in melee. I’m not saying the project was bad, but it was put together by fans alone.

Now with this idea, I thought it was amazing at first glance just like I did when I first saw brawl+.

Of course everyone likes the idea of hacking brawl. Texture hacking, CSS mods, Super codes, etc. that’s all fun, But when it comes to competitive brawl, should it really be changed? There will always be the original, but a brawl+ community? Or even changes as little as this.

Now I’m getting skeptical:
Should we really be altering the way this game plays?
Are we really this upset with how brawl turned out, that we want to make it better?

Currently I have no problem with this continuing to be put into works. After all the effort that was put into this, it seems stupid to want it to stop. This is all possible after all. :)

Those are just my thoughts.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
And I don't think some people understand the concept of this project. Small tweaks aren't going to instantly make every character level out and be on the same playing field, that (should) be obvious. Instead you're slowly working on taking the existing character and ironing out the rough parts until they are more viable.
I'm assuming this was specifically targeted toward me, but branched out because it's very likely other people feel that way.

It's a preview, a consistent WiP, just like the other Brawl project. I understand this, however I also feel that the overall goal prevents the ultimate goal from being achieved ("balance" so to speak).

The other things I'm nitpicking on because this project seems really reluctant to fix anything (mostly hitboxes; which seems to be emphasized several times that many of them aren't gonna be touched on) that wasn't a glaringly obvious problem to people.

I've yet to receive a formal reply but I can hope.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I looked through the first half of the thread and didn't notice anyone ask this, so I thought I'd ask out of my own curiosity.

Has there been any consideration to nerfing the cars on Port Town Aero Dive? The stage is already pretty viable, but I believe a lot of people's reasoning on not carrying the stage as a CP is because of how badly the cars can punish you. Doing such a thing would then possibly quiet a good deal of naysayers, and if this ever did become tourney viable, people wouldn't be so quick to ban it. And that's always good imo.
lol i like the idea of toning don the cars. more than anything make their knockback the same as the shy guys on mario circuit
We're very, very interested in doing this as soon as I can figure out how.

Almost upsetting DK didn't change at all. But then again, he didn't really need to.
No DDD infinite is a big deal. We'll see how DK fits into the changed metagame and go from there. I hope you can be a part of that!

Just wondering, Since Ike's bthrow CGs bowser and fthrow wall locks, how were they changed?
Sadly, we currently have no way of changing them. :(

Merely placing my thoughts.
the removal of the cavern in spear pillar is kinda...lame >.<
The map feels SOOO small now, and the cut off is huge, a downward hit can be immensely powerful here.
Well, before the stage wasn't even playable at all. Now it's an interesting counter-pick grade level, with a high ceiling and worse recovery for characters that really prefer to recover low.

Okay, after watching Rykoshet's Pirate Ship match (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTg_Vcuv60) this is what I have to say about the swimming.

You have completely crippled Ganondorf there and possibly other characters who do not have as long as swimming durations as other characters. Of course this stops stalling in the water but, it is still bad execution to some extent. For one, this stage is probably now one of Ganondorf's WORST stages... as once you get him in the water or lure him there, he's dead, he's gone, bye bye. It's actually completely unfair to Ganondorf because he does better in the water some times than on land due to his Dair and Down B. Now you have completely crippled his options in the water, and due to the amount of time it takes to resurface for Ganon, by the time he does, he's already drowned. That's totally unfair.

How to remedy this? Make everyone's swimming duration the same amount of frames (using the frame speed modifier, which you guys haven't used ONCE yet) and then make the change to flailing being drowning. It makes water stages WORSE for probably most of the characters, especially Ganondorf, which was completely not a good idea.

Good idea, bad execution imo.
First, I'm not sure what you mean about the frame speed modifier. We've used it for multiple things; fixing locks, grab-releases (both), pikachu f-throw, and more.

I'm not sure what you mean about the water crippling certain characters. At 90%, you have one frame to jump out, end of story. Water is more of a problem for some characters than others, but it's not a huge factor.

I'm not going to pretend that the water change is all sunshine and rainbows, automatically loved by everyone. Some testers like it, some didn't like it at first but then warmed up to it, some testers still don't like it. We want more feedback on this issue. Once you get used to the idea of water being a scary place to be, see what changes. You might like it, you might not. We'll see; this is an important part of this project's development to figure out, and it's getting lots of attention.

hmm make the 90% instant drowning a tad longer like half a sec to 2 secs to jump out
I would very much like to do this, but have no way of changing the parameters that control timing on drowning states. (Relative to %)

90% instant drowning is 1 frame to jump out lol... so i've heard
This is true. Actually, I can do it quite often. Someone I was playing with last night was doing it from his first try, and wondering what the big deal was! :confused:

I totally support this project.

I'm curious though, as to why you would reduce the knockback on snakes 3rd jab if so much of the cast can powershield it by just holding shield. Unless it's spaced right on the tip of the first jab.
We decided to target Snake's jab for a secondary nerf alongside u-tilt, in order to keep f-tilt in-tact and perserve Snake's identity better. We'll see what additional testers think of how this impacts Snake once more people get playing. I hope you can be a part of that feedback!

I never thought that Brawl would have so many problems that they would make different versions like they're doing.

I guess Sakurai really ****ed up.
Quite the opposite; we are simply trying to continue down the same road that he started. If he hadn't put as much thought and care into the game as he did, this would be futile and impossible.

For example, a lesser game than Smash would have had one shared "power" parameter for damage, knockback base, and knockback growth. That would make the granularity of our changes virtually impossible. Working on this project has made me appreciate how much design is in this game.

DX is already the designation used instead of "Melee" for that game in Japan, lol. It might not be the best choice.

As a pikachu main, i'm kinda worried. A lot of Pikachu's Matchups, and hell, DEFINITELY his tier placement are due to his CGs. YOu took away a MAJOR part of pikachu's game, and gave him...nothing. That definitely drops him to WAY below diddy level, considering pikachu wasn't there WITH the CGs. You should at least buff something like damage on fair and D-smash. Hell, you could even make it harder to DI out of D-smash, but have the last hit NOT knock you straight up so we can't use it as a guaranteed thunder chase, and also increase the damage per hit. CGing was a major damage racker against 80% of the cast, and now he is lost because that was taken away. I haven't played it so i don't know from experience, but somebody please inform me on what was done to make pikachu playable. I mean, he can't even grab COMBO anymore, which was used against EVERYBODY. People who pikachu couldn't CG, he could always F-throw Usmash for a good 24%, which really helps him. Without it...he is either going to have to camp more or get in close range more without the opponent fearing getting grabbed...
Your concern is not unwarranted. We really want to see where these changes put Pikachu before we figure out where to go next. I hope you can play with it some so you can offer some input.

I'll just give an overall opinion in its entirety.

This project has potential. It really does. It's a preview, and I do like some of the changes

However, its main goal really seems to be holding it back A LOT. The overall goal that "no one should have any problem moving between standard Brawl and Balanced Brawl."

As it is, you're limiting yourself to only fixing the most glaringly obvious flaws. However, if you want to make "Balanced" Brawl as balanced as possible, you have to make some hitbox modifications.

But the overall goal prevents that. Why does Wolf's nair never work as it should (literally no hitstun)? Why can a person punish Sheik's fsmash by not performing DI and just shield in-between? Why is Toon Link's fsmash not even considered a move by some because you can get Dragon Punched/Dolphin Slashed/Rested out of landing it?

Why are Snake's tilts not reduced in size somehow? Should ftilt 2nd hit really be the longest ranged move in the game? With that kind of animation? In such a defensive-focused game?
I don't think it is required at all to change hitbox size, or even attack timing. People are used to the sizes they are, and they work. The game is enjoyable and frankly reasonably balanced as is. We are merely iterating upon the same path.

These are the little problems, that add up to making the vBrawl experience EXTREMELY poor for some people unless of course...

you used a S tier.
Given that you are talking to someone who has had an amazing fun 16 months with Brawl and won over $1000 with Jigglypuff, your words kinda fall short.

I think the thriving Brawl community that seems to enjoy the game quite a bit, including the vast majority that doesn't play Meta Knight, will continue to enjoy this modification.

Also it seems like you guys kinda had trouble trying to balance anyone in the middle of the spectrum (Peach, Toon Link, etc.). Buffs like Peach Bomber and better grounded UpB, which are like literally borderline useless/situational moves. The goal is to become as good as Diddy, but it seems like a lot of characters that are truly "mediocre" don't get anything too helpful. It doesn't fix their problems and really just seems to sugarcoat them instead of improving them.
This is a legit observation. We intentionally took an ultra-conservative "wait-and-see" approach on the upper-mid and lower-high tiers. Given that we are nerfing 3 characters, changing the chaingrabs on 3 more, and buffing the low tiers, and drastically increasing stage viability, it is uncertain just what the overall impact on these characters will be. Only legitimate playtesting experience by many skilled palyers will supply the data needed to make properly informed decisions.

Finally, I really do think you guys should take more people under your wing. I really can see there wasn't enough input here and there. And a team of two similar-minded people won't make this project truly live up to its name.
Why do you think this topic exists?

I'm not going to lie, me and Ampharos have no intention of assembling some "Justice League" of random, vaguely-high-profile mains to meet in the Bat Cave and solve world hunger. There's no need for us to complicate the logistical side of releases, and centralizing things does lead to a more cohesive vision... something Sakurai himself advocates heavily.

However, the entire point of all of these many, many posts is that we want feedback. As much as possible, from as many players as possible. The more player, and the better players, playing more matchups, the better. We're no more or less human than Sakurai, so what do you expect? We already sought out input from specific players during earlier testing, and now that we are public we look forward to extending that even more, to everyone.

Gea

Smash Master
I'm assuming this was specifically targeted toward me, but branched out because it's very likely other people feel that way.

It's a preview, a consistent WiP, just like the other Brawl project. I understand this, however I also feel that the overall goal prevents the ultimate goal from being achieved ("balance" so to speak).

The other things I'm nitpicking on because this project seems really reluctant to fix anything (mostly hitboxes; which seems to be emphasized several times that many of them aren't gonna be touched on) that wasn't a glaringly obvious problem to people.

No, it wasn't specifically targeting anyone. I think they are trying to specifically avoid hitbox changes in lue of damage/knockback changes so that no one has to relearn spacing. That the moves are fundamentally the same, just less effective. Like Snake's utilt. I think making it weaker but still rigged in range was a superior alternative to making Snake work really hard to land a utilt for the same reward.

This way Snake players can still use utilt the same way and get different effects. Everyone wins in that situation.

I can agree that certain moves with poor hitboxes (say, Peach's usmash or Luigi's dtilt) would be candidates for changes to make them more viable. Actually, I'd be happy with everything for Peach (even her airdodge) being exactly as vanilla and the usmash sweetspot being reasonable.

Edit: Also you have to realize that it is better to underbuff and redo the buffs/changes than overbuff and have to deal with the backlash of constantly making characters worse. I prefer this method, I just think this preview release has a few simple changes that could make it overall more effective.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
The big problem I have is that the answer to a character being bad in many cases is just making their worst moves hit harder, which doesn't do jack for them, frankly.

The big problem I have is that the answer to a character being bad in many cases is just making their worst moves hit harder, which doesn't do jack for them, frankly.
Very true. To make a player more even you have to change advantages in match-ups which frankly comes down to the options a person has against another. In order to do that you have to make game changing alterations.

As far as I can tell Shiek and ICs can still beat Ganon pretty hard.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I don't think it is required at all to change hitbox size, or even attack timing. People are used to the sizes they are, and they work. The game is enjoyable and frankly reasonably balanced as is. We are merely iterating upon the same path.
I can understand hitbox size, because ultimately even the WBR decided against changing Snake's hitboxes, but attack timing wasn't really what I was talking about.

I really meant those moves were borderline useless and don't work at all as they should. Timing TL's fsmash differently won't change the fact that it really does never connect. *shrug*

Given that you are talking to someone who has had an amazing fun 16 months with Brawl and won over $1000 with Jigglypuff, your words kinda fall short.
Perhaps, but most would consider you to be a rare exception. =P

I think the thriving Brawl community that seems to enjoy the game quite a bit, including the vast majority that doesn't play Meta Knight, will continue to enjoy this modification.
I don't see how they won't, but I guess I wanted to say "don't limit yourselves too much before you get started." Right now you're attracting the crowd, once you do that, you hope to keep them.

Err, I suck at these examples rofl.

Why do you think this topic exists?
That snippet wasn't meant for AA and you, but mainly a few other people that with the way they worded their responses, made it very obvious they looked down at our opinions such as "those who like vBrawl what do you guys think...etc."

I could explain farther but this isn't the place for me to vent about the nature of people.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I don't really know where to post this but I want to test out snake today so if anyone would like to play, I'd prefer someone from the east coast.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I think the hardest part of balancing characters is modifying their cheap or underused moves without completely changing it. The propose of this is to balance the game without changing the way the game plays after all.

Techs should really have more invincibility frames. They are just like rolls, yet you can be grabbed out of them.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I started playing this briefly yesterday and I'm quite impressed with the changes that were made. One problem I think that should be fixed is Peach's horrid air dodge. It needs to be slightly better to make it viable, especially because Peach's Dair doesn't have enough priority to keep her safe in the air, a place where she is a lot...

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I think the hardest part of balancing characters is modifying their cheap or underused moves without completely changing it. The propose of this is to balance the game without changing the way the game plays after all.

Techs should really have more invincibility frames. They are just like rolls, yet you can be grabbed out of them.
That's because their underused moves are bad and their cheap moves are cheap. In most cases it's not because of how hard they hit or don't hit, it's because of the other stuff. Hitboxes, effects (MK's tornado), priority, etc. Snake's utilt isn't crazy because of how early it kills, but because of its stupid range. Ganon's grab isn't bad because his pummels and throws suck (even though they might, I don't know) they're bad because Flame Choke is always better and because his grab's actual range is so pitiful no one smart will ever get hit by it.

You can't just take a really bad move and make it kill early in most cases. The move is still going to be bad, it's just going to be a bad move that kills early. I can count on one hand the amount of bad moves in this game that are bad because they don't hit hard enough. Seriously.

This is a good idea, but there are a ton of misconceptions about various characters here and you guys really need input from good players who play these characters.

There are also a lot of missed chain grabs (ZSS' fthrow chaingrabs on ganon, cf, bowser, snake, and dedede, Pit's low % cgs, a few others).

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm kinda depressed I got ignored for posting a minute before Thinkaman's ultimate wall. <_____<
I got to you in the next one. ;)

You guys might also want to know this: There is a good chance the next time San Antonio has a tournament that this will be a side event. While I won't be there due to being in Canada for a while, they will hopefully give you some feedback.
That would be fantastic, exactly the sort of thing we are looking to. We seriously do take data like this into account. PM me for more details if you want.

I'll be interested to see if really nerfing SNake's Utilt really does change much. So Snake cannot kill at 100% on light weights. Good luck ever hitting them that early anyway, your more likely to get a bit more damage before the chance to get a clean hit ever arises anyway.

Nerfing jab3 seems rather pointless, I know hardly anyone that ever really kills with it, or even uses it at pro levels as it's easily punished by powershielding or DIing out of.

Still, testing before complaining.
First, thanks for the last bit; such an attitude and open mind automatically makes anything you say much more legit in my book, and more could stand to follow your example. Including myself!

Jab3 isn't really a big deal to be nerfed, since you're right; at high level paly it doesn't matter as much. However, u-tilt matters more then, and it REALLY does matter. I think if you play with it you will feel the same way. I hope you do get to test it and look at these concerns to offer further input.

What I don't get is the talk about obviously buffing the weakness that Wario did have (with no tradeoff) and then not giving peach her airdodge, which is different than things like DDD's spotdodge because on the ground you have more options, like shielding and rolling.

In the air all we can do is dair down and hope for the best. How would buffing it be negative to gameplay? It wouldn't take out her biggest weakness (KO move) but it would subtly make her more viable, even if you made her airdodge the same as Marth's (which is seen as bad, just not on the same level).

We aren't talking about Snake here. You buffed Yoshi and Ike's recovery. Those are BAD weaknesses for them... I just don't see the consistency in your mindset here.
The big difference here is that all of those weaknesses were polarizing factors. They skewed the matchups for those characters considerably, and no amount of buffs could make up for them without breaking the characters in the matchups unaffected by those weaknesses.

Again, I've got my eye on Peach. I hope there is no shortage of people testing with her so the final product can do her justice.

Unless the knockback is substantially better than side-b, back air, or forward air, the 45 frames of lag at the end and the 20-something frames of start-up are a major deterrent.
It is significantly stronger, again, one of the biggest single buffs. Testers find it effective and worth using; Slow, vulnerable moves require proper reward, which this move lacked before.

What I am concerned about is the third hit of her jab, which is terrible in "normal" Brawl because it's powershielded just by holding "R" when they hit you with the first one. =/
This could probably only be fixed by taboo timing changes, although potentially clever tweaks to the angle might help. For the time being though, I think it is best to investigate where ZSS fits into the new metagame with this f-smash buff. As Ampharos said, Holms was favorable about it, so it seems to be on the right track. Once more people get to playing with her, we will see.

Thinkaman, when you talked about sonics spring, even though you changed the launch angle, you do know it is capable of an instant meteor cancel just by mashing, right? You can't edit spikes vs meteors in the game as its hard-coded in an area which the hitbox modifier code does not touch. This area is where hidden move properties such as reflections (not capes), invuln frames, etc, are stored. Just saying for your reference when defending these things.....
Yes, this is actually intentional, fortunate behavior. Otherwise the death-spring would skew Sonic's matchups too much... As it stands, it is intended to be a very annoying obstacle that constricts recovery options and does some damage. It already had that role, and now it does it much more effectively.

The spring still got a buff by its ability to "semi-spike" though, correct?

It does hit opponents downward, but it can be jumped out of quickly. It's "non-trivial", but far from broken.

Yes, exactly. There are so many changes happening at once that we have to take things slow... which is incidentally the opposite how how pre-release balance testing is done, where changes intentionally overshoot as part of a binary search to maximize the use of increasingly valuable time.

We have lots of time though, and can proceed carefully to give everything due consideration. Feedback, feedback, feedback.

I do think giving Bowser some super armor on his Fsmash and a few other changes like that would greatly help those characters when compared to the kind of buff Ike got though.
I really wish we had the means to apply super armor to moves/animations. I really, really do. Bowser's dair is a big change though, don't underestimate it. It fills in a hole in his existing game very nicely.

This is a pretty neat project and a lot of people seem to warm up to the idea. I thought it was pretty neat. Don't take my opinion the wrong way, I just don't know what to think of this. Truthfully, its pretty daunting to see all these altered versions of brawl that are said to "make brawl better".

If you think about it, brawl wasn't that bad to start with. Sure its pretty unbalanced, there are a few problems that impair gameplay for some characters. But melee was also unbalanced and people didn't seem to have many problems with that.
I speak for myself and Ampharos when I say we are in complete agreement. If we didn't think Brawl was a good game and was fun to play, we would not spent countless hours doing this. If Brawl wasn't balanced reasonably well to begin with, trying to improve it would be far harder and ultimately futile. The fact is, a lot of the hard work has already been done. The characters already have unique identities providing them with strengths and weaknesses of reasonable magnitude. All we have to do is iterate.

Should we really be altering the way this game plays?
Are we really this upset with how brawl turned out, that we want to make it better?

Currently I have no problem with this continuing to be put into works. After all the effort that was put into this, it seems stupid to want it to stop. This is all possible after all. :)

Those are just my thoughts.
Exactly; we are only doing this because we like Brawl for what it is. I don't drive 4 hours to tourneys because I'm upset with the game in any way, that's for sure. This project is built on the foundation of being as interchangeable as possible with standard Brawl, crossing as few lines as we have to in pursuit of ever-elusive perfection.

Thanks for your civil and polite post, BTW.

I'm not sure I understand your platform. Are you saying that no changes can ever make up for abnormally sized hitboxes? Most of our playtest groups felt Snake u-tilt was reasonable, and I'm not sure we can fairly ask players to learn one set of hitbox sizes for our version and another for standard Brawl... even for only a few moves.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'm not going to pretend that the water change is all sunshine and rainbows, automatically loved by everyone. Some testers like it, some didn't like it at first but then warmed up to it, some testers still don't like it. We want more feedback on this issue. Once you get used to the idea of water being a scary place to be, see what changes. You might like it, you might not. We'll see; this is an important part of this project's development to figure out, and it's getting lots of attention.
The real issue honestly is that with how strict the water is, you're putting people who are already in a terrible situation in a worse one. I mean if you wanna keep the 0% death situation there that's fine, all I have to do is get my *** back on jthe stage and give up taking a free stock but at the end of the day I know the person I'm fighting HAS to jump back immediately, it's just ripe for getting their *** smashed the second their feet leave that water. Nevermind the fact that 1/60th of a second leeway is kinda pushing it. If there were reasonable room to buffer the immediate and easy to read jump out it'd make sense but there is none. It's scarier to be near the side of any stage with water past like... 60 than it is to be in front of the strongest killshots in the game, at least you have a chance to dodge those killshots.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Don't say things like we don't understand before trying them. We did test ZSS a lot, including with Holms, a quality ZSS main from Wichita. Fsmash on ZSS is so improved you have no idea; before you actually use the new fsmash on her, you really can't judge it. It's now an extremely effective spacing tool and is not really punishable if used appropriately. It's situational of course, but ZSS was pretty good already so it's not like she needs super powered buffs. In general, it's just plain ineffective to judge the effectiveness of changes based on just reading them... Especially notable is that changes to stages and other characters were always considered, making things a pretty complex web. It's why we keep saying that actual playtesting is so important; it's really the only way to get a good feel for how a character actually performs.

I'd like you to know I did test this. I spent over an hour playing ZSS, Ganon, CF, and Jiggs. (mainly ZSS and Ganon)

As for killing, which someone mentioned, I got some hard data this morning to show you. All percentages are on Mario from the center of FD in training mode. No DI.

ZSS's fsmash kills at 103% on mario from the center of FD (sweetspot). This is a definite improvement. The problem is that you will never hit with this move unless you are lucky. And even if you are lucky down smash has the same startup, and far less ending lag. You can just hit with a double down-smash>bair and kill even earlier (97%). Bair also seems to be less DI-able, but that is just an impression, not fact.

If you get a single down smash, and then try and sweetspot a fsmash, you are still screwed because fsmash affects aerial opponents differently. Single down smash>fsmash interestingly enough also kills at 103% before the d-smash, despite doing 11 more damage.

Finally, trying to charge the f-smash. Yes it has excellent power, but it's very rare that you would ever get a charged f-smash off. The only option is to partially charge it after a d-smash.
d-smash>part charged f-smash kills at ~90%

Congrats... I can kill ~7% earlier than before. That's it.

Now, as for the second point: spacing

Side-B is a better spacing move in nearly every way. It has more range, lower cool-down, can be used in the air, and is easier to sweetspot. Using it in the air is a BIG advantage.
The only thing that fsmash has over Side-B is that there isn't a dead spot in the middle.

Overall ZSS got a super small buff in this, but a decent sized nerf in the Fox and Rob matches. I anticipate that she really plays about the same as before, but she might have got a small buff in the MK and Snake (maybe Falco too) matchups, time will tell.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol any 1 up 4 sum brawls?
i wanna see how the new peach/mario/luigi/bowser fairs

D

Deleted member

Again, I've got my eye on Peach. I hope there is no shortage of people testing with her so the final product can do her justice.
All that Peach really lacks is a functional air dodge. Since her character was altered in only minor ways, I can't see much testing needed for her specifically so much as match-up testing to see how she plays against other more relevant character edits.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
yeah her air dodge needs a miracle

.....(cough make her bair stronger cough)

Gea

Smash Master
Her bair is fine and can actually kill for her. It is great for spacing and doesn't need changing. Her airdodge is one of those "was that a mistake?" things in Brawl if you look at the frame data, however.

Edit: This suggestion was like the "Make Ness' aerial game better."

D'whaaaaa?? Its already great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom