• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Let's just start everything over.....Hello yoshi forums... :)

I'm interested in playing Yoshi, and would like to learn/teach anyway i possibly can to contribute to the Yoshi community...

i'm hoping this can be very successful
Nogz, moo, bioshi, Mind trick, Yoshido, Leffen, everyone...

I wish to learn/help any way I can... i'll try to be more availabe to everyone....more in the future....Yoshiiscool, nogzors, leffen, mind trick....please let me... or if you'd like to do your own..let me make a yoshi combo video... for you/all yoshis....

Eggstinction is the most recent combo video since 2007 or 2008.. i can't even remember... that's sorta depressing..... I know combo videos are just.. i know.. combo videos.. entertainment.. etc... but it'd be nice to see... it KEEPS people watching our character! motivated.. etc..

As for any problems this thread has had... lets try to rid of all in the past....I've had the thread name changed since it offends the other yoshi players and i didn't intend it too..and I don't want my modesty... or lack there of.. make anyone think otherwise... i've always wanted the same goal... I guess everyone just couldn't see it.

Hopefully this will be a fresh start for everyone.... for now on the egg lay topic.. let's agree to disagree...'it's ok to have different opinions on a move/moveset etc... it's NOT ok.. to disrespect each other.. with thoughts/thought process... etc.... we are a community of yoshi players..(as a team) so lets do that....

I'll post more on this... later but for now.. lets help each other.. YOSHI is a dead character... im merely tryin to hype him back up... nothin more...anyway let's get to it....

Yoshi vs Top tier..... let's start from here

Yoshi vs Fox/Falco/Sheik/Puff?

ideas.. lets' elaborate

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In moments like these, after the dust settles, I really am thankful that EC Canada when at home is the anti-hype comparative to the other regions. Much less pressure.

Anyway, I'll repost what I know. Once again.

Sheik... if I remember correctly I can't shield grab much of what you do if you do it well spaced or whatever. But I can try to make you shield by flaunting my back air and forward air, because they're bigger than you and immune to your CC shenanigans.

I also like to D-smash in this MU because F-tilts get eaten by Yoshi's DJC armor silliness and Yoshi will probably use heavy CC and baiting on the ground so they're less useful there just because of his character design. If we get into a tilt-off, Yoshi probably ***** because his do more, hit harder, etc.

I think my best bet of winning is abusing my grabs, heavy aerials, and my good retreating shield game, since Yoshi's throw's a big commitment and if he whiffs he potentially dies. Shield abuse, reset to neutral a lot, abuse my better range, etc. Kind of like playing as the Ice Climbers. Using Sheik's ground speed advantage is also probably important too, since her goal seems to be making Yoshi commit so she can punish a mistake and then take the stock.

Personal: I also like to u-smash in my anti-Yoshi combos because of the dual-hit breaking his DJC armor early and it's less gay than chain grabbing. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I'm linking free moves on a Yoshi without his jump.

Cosmic M

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1461-6294-8810
I find that inexperienced jigglypuffs are no problem for Yoshi. She's very light and tends to float in Yoshi's airspace. The moment she goes above your snout, a quick Up-smash will do the trick.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I like the jiggs vs yoshi matchup. You definitely want to stay grounded on most cases unless speeding around her to catch her off guard. She can do pretty good damage on yoshi if any of her aerials connect. Especially if yoshi is without his dj. Rests are easy on yoshi too. Yoshi's d-tilt does great in this match. Tilts in general help out alot. Parry doesn't help that much because of the way she lands her aerials . She has ussually has enough time to swing, float away, then come back again.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
^Im not really sure what to make of that Yoshi vs puff video. Is it Old?, can I assume PAL? Friendlies, Tourney, MM? Who were the players?

Anyways, watching the vid made me try to rethink me Jiggs matchup (and just want to play melee), for I don't really have much experience, just theoretical things.
Hopefully I can play some matches this saturday just to keep the rust off.

*On a side note, I'm curious about something.

How many of you Yoshi players use shield poking/stabbing often and look out for it when playing against opponents whose characters have naturally sub-par, or just depleted shields. My main examples being Vs marth, jiggs, mario, falco/fox, pika.

I always felt that when they feel pressured enough to shield, a well spaced reverse Nair/bair on the backside of their heads is usually first to be open (if not already exposed) and get shieldpoked. I'm sure some players utilize shield-tilting to cover their flanks, But In turn, This might compromise their consciousness of proper Oos options, allowing Yoshi to get nice shield pressure with quick DJC nairs and jabs.

**More of a ramble because I felt like talking melee, But yeah I like shieldpokes. (but i definitely need to work on consistent shield pressure)

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
it's the 3rd match of a bracket set of me vs faab from last year
shieldpoking is top tier vs characters you dont have a reliable followup for with throws

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Still, I feel like well spaced bairs are hard to get under with up-smash if the Jiggs knows what she's doing. Plus, you run the risk of becoming to predictable and getting baited, then heavily punished,

leffen

Smash Champion
Chivalruse, reaaaallly....

Wrote a huge *** post answering everybody but w/e.

Random update:
Got 3rd in a national tournament this weekend, in both teams and singles. Won vs Calle W and IVP to mention a few. Played Yoshi some in bracket and all of pools ( defeating GSE, Android and dropping 2 really close games to Hack with 2 SDs in both matches >_>).
Didnt play Yoshi vs Calle W and IVP because of crowd hype, wish i did lol, pretty sure I could've won some games at least ...
Went yoshi 1 match vs armada... played horrible ( which is why i even switched to him)

Recorded some unserious friendlies vs randoms that will be up in a few hours, but dont expect any videos that my serious yoshi lolz.
http://www.ajpanton.se/ssbm/110211-SKN3/

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Good stuff, leffen. Sorry if it seems like I know nothing about Yoshi. I do know stuff, but I just don't use him at a high level obviously.

Who did you use in bracket mostly? Fox?

leffen

Smash Champion
Falco mainly.
Was going to go only yoshi since i proved to myself that my falco was good when we played great vs UGS in teams... but crowd + yoshi feeling off made me go falco.

About puff, the matchup has like nothing to do with usmash, its just a good ko move / punish. Vs spaced bairs you parry, fair, cc, djcc etc.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
man how is luigi falco a good team lol
but that falco is looking really clean leffen

not too much yoshi yet on the server

I really like using fsmash to deal with jiggs bairs, as well as djc drop down nairs from full jump if they're ever grounded. Eggs are pretty good as well (as they are against every semi slow character). Upsmash is always usefull as a poke through platforms, and if they're gonna float above you (which a jiggs shouldnt do too often if theyre smart). A lot of people don't know of the very big hitbox it has.

I might upload all 3 games vs faab if people want to see it, although it is kinda outdated now (you'll see me do egglays lololol)

leffen

Smash Champion
ty mindtrick :) Honestly tho falco and luigi is a **** team, you can just spam lasers and luigi will ****. You also have so easy team combos lols.

Honestly, how is eggs good against jiggs ( when you are on the stage ) ? She can just float away with a nair/fair and just destroy the eggs afaik. But camping with them is so good :D

I'd love more puff matches since Im considering using him against a certain box at genesis2 ;)

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I really like using fsmash to deal with jiggs bairs, as well as djc drop down nairs from full jump if they're ever grounded. Eggs are pretty good as well (as they are against every semi slow character). Upsmash is always usefull as a poke through platforms, and if they're gonna float above you (which a jiggs shouldnt do too often if theyre smart). A lot of people don't know of the very big hitbox it has.
I feel that just Nair in general helps in this matchup, with the large hitbox on the back.
With eggs, I try to use them defensively, when in mid combat range. It can help build up quick damage, and and can lead to tasty Uairs at higher damages, If a jiggs doesn't DI away.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I dunno wtf is going on in this thread but egglay is awesome. I use it all the time in ssb64 and melee.

PeachKiller279

Smash Apprentice
Angel come to the monthly on the 5th. it's the last tournament I'm going to before I'm forced (curfew johns) to retire and I want my revenge.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to go but I'm uncertain if I will be able to go.

(I would've liked to have been able to go to every monthly You guys held since we started going :p)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
just letting everyone know... i made it to round 3 pools... n_n;

were finishing tomorow.. i've gon all yoshi so far... ^^ got 2nd seed in my first pool.. and 2nd seed in my 2nd pool.. i think they're doing... round 3 pools tomorow... ^^

I'll try to keep everyone updated ^^

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
to all those who doubted Vman's skills for lack of tournament experience with yoshi, please consider the following:

just letting everyone know... i made it to round 3 pools... n_n;

were finishing tomorow.. i've gon all yoshi so far... ^^ got 2nd seed in my first pool.. and 2nd seed in my 2nd pool.. i think they're doing... round 3 pools tomorow... ^^

I'll try to keep everyone updated ^^

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
lolol I just started looking at the Pound V Info Dump thread late last night. I need to get with the times.

Vman's looking slick. Keep doing work!

(I guess AXE is pretty cool :p)

Top Bottom