• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman
'cause az showed you guys how free you really are.

get yo bubble of ignorance popped, son.
ugh im ashamed to have lived in the same state as you when you talk like this ^ lol and see tim! i told you id stop all the drama haha :D but yeah you guys dont even know about AZ TROLLING XD or at least you dont know about me hee hee :)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm not trolling, just telling some idiots how it is.

=]

if they're offended, it's their problem for being babies, not mine.

sup leffen, i see you lurking. stay free. why do you even post here? you're a falco player. you don't have a yoshi. you're not technical, and you don't do things that no other yoshi does.

leffen

Smash Champion
more leik this yoshi thread is horrible and nothing new has ever been posted by someone that didnt get annoyed out of here.

I mean really, Best or worst yoshi, Vman obv knows a lot about yoshi, yet he hasnt ever shared anything of it lols. The only thing this thread has done is ignore anything constructive and just talk about ******** americans not believing egg lay sucks because they dont mash shield and use a example ( jiggs throw in ditto ) that kirbykaze later realized was unlegit since egg lay is MUCH MUCH worse. Oh and lots of AZ people hyping up a player, that , best yoshi or worst yoshi, isnt worth hyping up.

Low tier players suck ****ing *** overall, no one has even won a international tournament yet, its pathetic as hell. No low tier player have ever had the skill of a top pro player... if they did they would've won , the gap between low and top tier is extremely exaggerated. Why do we really treat crap people like gods just because they have a "legit" john everytime they lose?

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
more leik this yoshi thread is horrible and nothing new has ever been posted by someone that didnt get annoyed out of here.

I mean really, Best or worst yoshi, Vman obv knows a lot about yoshi, yet he hasnt ever shared anything of it lols. The only thing this thread has done is ignore anything constructive and just talk about ******** americans not believing egg lay sucks because they dont mash shield and use a example ( jiggs throw in ditto ) that kirbykaze later realized was unlegit since egg lay is MUCH MUCH worse. Oh and lots of AZ people hyping up a player, that , best yoshi or worst yoshi, isnt worth hyping up.

Low tier players suck ****ing *** overall, no one has even won a international tournament yet, its pathetic as hell. No low tier player have ever had the skill of a top pro player... if they did they would've won , the gap between low and top tier is extremely exaggerated. Why do we really treat crap people like gods just because they have a "legit" john everytime they lose?
Dude, stop hiding under your rock in Europe. Axe got 4th using ONLY Pikachu at P5. Axe easily has the skill or better of top pro players.

Gtfo with your negativity, leave us "******** americans" to continue winning everything that matter. LOL

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@Leffen-The thread isnt horrible man, look back to when it started and the yoshi hype that it generated. Only just recently was it unproductive...and if u dont got trolls comin thru your thread then you aint doin it right. Even the Egglay discussion was constructive in the sense that facts were being thrown around and ppl were being objectionable.

Yea, low tiers havent won any Nationals...but most of the characters have never won nationals. Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Peach, Puff, Samus, IC...soon to be pikachu(Im lookin at you Axe) if I recall. Even just placing top 32 is respectable, its usually the players who want to do better for personal reasons. Not even talking ****, but if your hearts not in it...you will never be a great low tier player.

But Taj is right, talk is cheap... see you all at:

:150:GENESIS 2:mewtwo:

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman

LOL i cant understand how you talk no wonder why youre from europe! XD speak ENGLISH then maybe well understand something besides bitch! haha how are you gonna talk about us "******** americans" when you cant even speak our language? so stfu with that little girl. and if your balls have dropped then you will bow in my presence when i see you, got it!?

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord

YOUUUUUUUU maaaad

anyway, how about some yoshi vs marth discussion?

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Perfect i was just thinking about starting some matchup discussion. I was gonna propose ganon but i like marth better.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I find yoshi edgeguards marth veeery nicely, what with one dtilt meaning death. lol
after playing your marth quite a bit, I would have to disagree, But We'll see. I really do want to get a discussion started, and Im already typing some thoughts down in a document.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Actually, I am and have been curious on yoshi vs marth. How does the lil guy go about approaching the situation?

Like is his combination of dash and WD fast enough to get inside marths fairs, fsmashes etc for clean hits and aerials, or does he have to rely on actually trading?

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Both yoshi and marths have pretty good mobility, so Yoshi may have a hard time getting inside of marths sword range without getting hit. Although this is too bad for yoshi since he can DJC to get inside of marth's "bubble" and begin to wreck havoc.

It really depends on which character does more "approaching".

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Enough talk.....

let's discuss Yoshi....idc anymore if Leffen, Mind Trick, or anyone hates me anymore... I proved what I had to prove at Pound V.. and that's what mattered.... i proved at an INTERNATIONAL.. i could get out of pools w/yoshi.. and I most certainly did... I haven't seen other play Yoshi through any tourney(s) w/the amount of elite players that Pound V had....and if they did congrats... Like I said.. My only objective was to hype a "dead" character....

to others who played Yoshi.. awesome... sweet, im not saying you did/didn't play Yoshi....i'm saying it's a shame.. that no other combo video has been released since 2005.. before Eggstinction... If a character is so "active" we should at least have a video within 5-6 years....

Leffen/Mind Trick/Moo - you guys can hate me/like me... it's your choice... if you're going to leave the Yoshi boards because another "hyped" player from AZ is being hyped.. than I guess that's all you....IF a Yoshi main would've made it to brackets at Genesis? Pound 4? Apex? Rom3?/ any tournies between/before... I'm sure AZ (I sure as hell would've hyped you)...but sadly that's not the case... in fact I don't think any were even close/weren't any that attended.. Pound V which was recent... had many entrants... many top players such as Eggz, Over, Linguini, Scar, are examples of who didn't make it out of pools even... They all play characters much better than Yoshi...and more importantly...(they are wonderful players) The fact that me... (an unknown, compared to the rest of you guys) Mind Trick, YoshiisCool, Yoshido, Bioshi, etc.. ALL of you have much more experience than I do... WAY MORE...MU experience/feel of the character/etc...

I appreciate AZ's way of giving me hype/attention etc...I would've felt bad..if I would've let you all down... (and not make it to bracket) because it would give everyone else more leverage to use against me....not to mention it's not EVERYDAY a Yoshi makes it to the main bracket at an international as hype with elite players that Pound V had...

I'm just glad.. that I could help give Yoshi some hype/action.... I'm not meaning to sound "offensive" but when's the last time a video has even been posted for critique.updated.... I saw your vid vs Armada Leffen.. Your Yoshi's nice... I saw your vids Mind Trick vs the Puff... I've seen Nogzor's Yoshi vs Okami, awesome stuff.. we have splendid Yoshi players...but not many posts/updates are being made....now granted.. yes it's usually because *reads previous posts* kinda stuff happens.....AZ likes to troll.. a lil bit... AZ ALSO likes to hype... and in all honesty.. THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO.. one of their own...made it to brackets at an international w/YOSHI.... of course they are going to be hype.... when's the laast time it's EVER EVEN HAPPENED....they've seen my progress in 8 months... Imagine what another 8 months what level my Yoshi might be at... It's mere support...and i think/wish/hope more people understand that...

If Leffen, Mind Trick, Bioshi, Yoshido, Moo, ANY Yoshi's made it to brackets at Genesis2, or any other MAJOR future tournaments you damn right i'd be going bananas...it's a support system.. it makes us better players, gives us confidence, makes us play better...not to mention.. i'd NEVER seen it... making into brackets at monthly's...regional...is good stuff as well sure... but INTERNATIONAL.. when players travel across continents?.. I'm glad my home would be happy for me.. I'm sure when Armada took 2nd at Genesis.. he was getting mad hype and (he sure as hell deserved it) he's sooooooooooo good.

On my behalf i'm sorry AZ may be offending the Yoshi players, in all honestly they're not trying to... they're simply trying to give me credit... and I appreciate that... and like when one defends their own, when they feel an "offensive comment" comes my way.. retalliation will occur... If I typed right now

"Dr Peepee and Armada are so lucky, and overrated.. they're not even good. I know i can take them if I felt like it, You can bet 100+ people will come in here and defend him...and troll me... maybe even worse...and they'd have every right to.... I've done nothin to prove to them/the world.. while they have done something..... In my situation with Yoshi.... I HAVE done something, while we (Yoshi) players are struggling to play him in tournament... Leffen, you're playing Falco, in the more important matches... Mind Trick... you're playing Fox vs the better players... Moo hasn't posted in who knows how long... and Yoshido, plays Sheik (if I recall) in the tougher matches... I was opposite... I played my higher tiers in the 1st round (not as important matches) then played Yoshi in the tougher ones, tryin to prove my dedication... to Yoshi in matches where it matters... so to them (AZ) and everyone else that saw/watched me at Pound V... I proved something while the latter has not....

(I'm not saying it hasn't been done before, it most likely may have been... (but it sure hasn't been done at an INTERNATIONAL level for a VERY GOOD while.... at least not here in NTSC in YEARS METAGAMES CHANGE IN YEARS TIME...... if it has over where you all are (PAL) players.. YOSHI is BETTER in PAL by a very noticable amount... while here in NTSC he's not..(which is another reason why AZ/everyone is hyping me... it's not common in no way/shape or form... it's very rare.. and hasn't happened in YEARS...which IMO why AZ, Kaostar, anyone else trying to defend me, is getting a bit aggravated for... I don't think they think you're giving me enough credit...if not, that's fine... but w/certain tone... it's being said as if a "Yoshi making out of bracket at an international level is common" which NO IT'S NOT...

As for the competetive part...it's "natural" if I sat here and said "Silly Kyle's Peach is better than Armada, SK's the best Peach..but has no results while Armada actually does....would you NOT defend armada...or Taj w/Mewtwo if I said Mine was better.... or if I said my Sheik >> Amsah w/Sheik.. would you NOT defend them... it's a basic intuition/reaction... to defend whats right.....

You all should know the world works by "results" if I keep placing high/well with Yoshi... more and more people will vouch for me...and more of you (may get offended) :( If I start to lack then perhaps speculation will happen...

I know you guys can do it....Mind Trick I've wanted you to quit fox forever now... I know you have the capabilities of it..... you have way more experience w/Yoshi than I do... and if I CAN DO IT... you should have NO PROBLEM... I know/believe/have faith you can do it... :)

Same goes for you Leffen, your Falco's pretty solid... Im positive you can do it w/Yoshi as well.... Angel, you are capable as well.. Moo, you.. ALL OF YOU.. can do it.... but choosing a "better character" isn't going to give you the answers you want/will need to find out... for certain matchups/characters .. sure it's better/wiser to choose a differenct character... but not necessarily vs a better player...sometimes you need to stick w/that belief in the character....(and if you all wanna troll me/make fun of me) etc for me having faith in a "low tier" than thats fine... Me, and Axe, Taj will ALWAYS have that belief, and honestly that is most likely why we are rather successful w/our characters...

Leffen, Mind Trick, Moo, Bioshi, Yoshido, all Yoshi players I love all of you! :)... at times... you don't think I do.. and you think I'm all out for me..{Moo} :( but Im really not... I nearly hyped up a dead character, that "results wise" wasn't getting anywhere...new players, players not as good as the better players are "influenced" by an idol... I'm definetely trying to be that idol for yoshi... I don't have to be their "favorite" Yoshi player... but if they look at idk my videos.. but their favorite Yoshi player is Leffen, Mind Trick/whomever.. then hey SUCCESS has been made...

like i've said in the beginning i'm merely trying to spread the love.... and more yoshi needs to be played...etc... OUR Forums (not this thread) are the 2nd MOST inactive......

Leffen, Mind Trick, Bioshi, Moo, ALL OF YOU.. as i've stated before and maybe you do/don't know... I've learned ALOT from you that you probably don't even know about.... Sure it's true... I don't peticularly "like" the way your Yoshi's play... but I have ALWAYS respected your thoughts, thought processes... and more.. not to mention I'm picky.... I DON'T like PP's Falco...(even though it's the most successful) I Don't like Hbox's puff, Jman's Fox, are examples of character styles I don't like that are arguably the most successful... I just like to do things my way/try to find answers my way... etc...but your advice is always loved/respected... and I want you guys to know that...

Anyway this is a long @ss post...I sorta want this all to end.... At genesis 2.. we will all be able to play each other... and share ideas/thoughts and hopefully come to a conclusion...

Mind Trick - I like your creativity to the thread... you're usually coming up w/videos of character matchups i'm not too familiar with.. (Ganon) Amsah's sheik, few other chars..

Leffen - don't take this the wrong way but you give the thread (motivation) your expectations are VERY high... and it pushes me more to meet the challenge.

Moo - I just like you.... (even though you don't like me) :(
Bioshi/Shiri -I don't know you guys just yet, but man... i'd love any Yoshi, Yoshi's players inputs/ideas

Nogzor's - You're a mad chill dude, and of all the Yoshi's I've seen your style is the EXACT opposite of mine.... and I feel I learn interesting, unique mindgames, that I can stea/add to my game

Yoshido - another Yoshi player willing to learn/giving his experiences/thoughts just like the rest of us..any help is better than no help... :)

anyone else - It's nice to hear their thoughts/ideas on things... it gives me motivation to try and figure out more things to do/say/think of etc.....

I've been honest... I really care about all of you... I REALLY DO... but I feel it's like my success with Yoshi is only making everyone upset, like the Yoshi players WANT me to fail or something... or feel im tryin to claim their territory etc.... Anyway... I hope we can come to an agreement and agree to disagree....but I still think we should all be around.. at least respect each other.... Im going to try.. and post more often... I see the questions being asked my way. etc... but, I don' reply at times when the thread is undergoing drama (hoping it will cool off) but that hasn't been working...) so i'm going to try something different...

Allrite lastly again... Leffen, Mind Trick, Yoshido, Nogz, Dark, Moo, all of you.. I love all of you here.. and i really want you to know I appreciate it...

allrite hopefully this can' start off the right way!!!

allrite... now down to business....

IMPORTANT/READ....

I have new thoughts/opinions on the Yoshi vs Fox and Marth matchups!!

Would anyone be willing to debate?....I might be crazy here but i"m going on some claims of

Yoshi vs Fox (35/65 - to even 40/60) ><
Yoshi vs Marth (40-60)

does anybody else feel this way, or am I smokin something? ><;
I'll give my insights and thoughts but tell me what do you all think as well?
Lets go YOSHI! <3

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
Lol I definitely wanna hear your new thoughts on the yoshi vs marth/fox.
I got some vague ideas about both of those, but nothing really solid. I was thinking of using them against Angel next time we play and think about the matchups more than just play em, so some insight beforehand would help.

leffen

Smash Champion
For ****s sake, wrote a huge post and then everything errored cause of internet failure.... TWICE.
n
Gonna keep this short:

redd: Pika is mid tier. Smartass.

Vman : No one has ever questioned your motives to playing yoshi. Remember that.
Honestly I think you misinterpret a lot of things... no one wants you to fail and no one is hating on you. We ( At least I ) are hating on the stupid fans who are ignorant and just derail everything. And no one said that yoshi making it out is common... I just said it should be ( every low tier would be common if as many ppl played them as the top tiers. Yoshi/ all low tiers not making it to bracket is just cause no one plays them, it has NOTHING to do with a higher skill requirement or anything ).

And my point was that you had done NOTHING before Pound... no one has said you arent the best yoshi atm, I even stated it numerous times to a lot of people that you probably were the best yoshi before pound... but the discussion is useless. Ranking people that arent in the top is always useless and is 99% bias.
But when you did good, it was like " MAN HE DID GOOD HE DID GOOD OMGGG Hypeeee " not " I learned alot like this and this and lets discuss this ", which is why I said the best yoshi debate was useless.

And if you stated that you could defeat PP and Armada... then wouldnt that just make a pointless debate, even if were true?

And your comparison to armada has no relevance at all... the whole point was that you DIDNT have any results man...

I do care about Yoshi players / boards ... I just dont state it 40 times in every post, I actually try to help them, even if my methods are unorthodox and makes ppl think less of me ( lols, House much? ). I started trolling about egg lay discussion when the boards had been dead for WEEKS, and it brought some life to the boards. Vman had not posted a single constructive or productive thing for what, 20 pages? Just because he is the obvious good guy and me the "bad" guy doesnt mean he actually helps more people.

Though, it needs to be stated ; I love you yoshi players, but take things for what it is.

Discussion:
I definitely agree on 60-40 NTSC... its probably like 52-48 in PAL ( Dtilt actually gimps him... his UP B is so much shorter xD ). Its my by far favorite match up, yoshi has so many answers to everything fox does.
Honestly... at the very ****ing top level ( aka axe / armada level of character development ) I think yoshi wins the matchup ( at least in PAL ).

All of yoshis aerials have more priority than foxes... his fair, bair and uair will beat everything spaced correctly. People say that Fox have better punishes and i heard a lot of people think that u throw uair ***** him ( like taj =/) ... pure bull**** imho.

Fox doesnt have guaranteed waveshine -> shine , and with proper DI Usmash is incredibly hard to combo into from a waveshine. U throw uair NEVER combos... and if it did, you can easily just SDI it.
As for foxes other combos... just DI them upwards. His true combos are more or less just Utilt -> bair. If you are getting nair trained, just DI upwards and SDI the uair and punish him with a DJC nair :D

As for yoshis combos... they **** lol. Just uair some and finish it with a punish when you see fit ( best is probably dsmash from a platform ).
For dthrow combos... always buffer the dthrow ofc. I dont really get why you Dthrow -> nair -> grab Vman... Uair is way better at lower percents imho... not to mention that dthrowing again when they should already be holding away is a bad idea.
My starter combo is usually just fair/nair/bair -> ftilt ( fair -> nair -> grab doesnt true combo ) to tech chase... tech chasing is really easy with yoshi since he is so fast and has a awesome jab reset. If I get a grab at 0% I usually go for Uair ( hit with tip and go backwards so you can catch all DIs ) to Nair to :

- Ftilt if they are in the middle with platforms possibly interfering.
( Yoshi doesnt have any solid tech chase at low percents, Uair is extremely good when they need to tech from it / you can combo out of it because you can just react to their techs, but at lower percents they can just punish you even if you hit with it >_> )

- Dtilt if they are close enough to the ledge that that they wont grab the edge instantly.

- Grab if there is no platform close enough. Always assume they DI away by this point and run / WD and Dsmash them. Otherwise just do more uairs.

What do you guys think about the matchup? What areas do you have the most problems in?

Ill get into marth later.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Hahaha man **** the new tier lists, I dunno where anyone is anymore. >_<

All about dat Sheik, Fox, Marth.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Mikehaggar I see you watchin baby...wat up lol, yea...somebody said ARmada.

Im not gonna disagree...but rreally, 40-60 with Marth? And I dont understand what you mean by Yoshi has sooo many answer to alot of Fox crap. If im not mistaken, there isnt really an answer to foxes speed and equip blaster. I mean, I know yoshi can combo fox...but so can everyone, its his only weakness for the most part.

How can yoshi beat his DD grab, or spaced nairs? I just dont get it

leffen

Smash Champion
Sigh. Foxes nair loses to a lot, not gonna answer that one.
Fox shouldnt really blaster that much in the matchup either, he doesnt really get much from it, all he does is lose stage control.
Beating DD grab isnt that hard, just dash dance yourself and space bairs if you are worried he will grab you. Even if he gets a grab the punishment is minimal, but when you get a grab he should get at least 50%.
Most times tho, you usually dont attack fox first. You simply stay in range so that he cant laser without getting punished, but still out of his bair spacing ( nair jumpin sucks with fox vs yoshi , dair is more useful but its easy to just djc **** it or dd grab it ).

Fox also has almost no edgeguard vs yoshi :D

Oh and Marth -> Yoshi is probably even in PAL... possibly yoshis favor. Soooo easy matchup.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure fox can't waveshine yoshi across the stage? I feel like foxes have been doing that for a while now...

Oh and i wouldn't disregard the shine>Usmash just because its "hard" to execute.

leffen

Smash Champion
If you are really bad at DIng then he can... otherwise no.

I think Usmash is like 1-2 frame window if you are SDing 1 or 2 times... its freakishly hard aka not worth going for. Most times I just shield the usmash into **** when they fail lol.

Oh and dont forget, if you get shined in the air and land during your supposed "stun" it will disappear immediately so you can punish if they try to follow up ( should always happen if they nair -> shine you or if you SDI the dair -> shine upwards ).

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
hmm... well i agree with some of the synopsis of the yoshi v fox matchup you posted there.
I just wish i was better at the matchup overall. :/
*needs more fox practice*

Top Bottom