• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I usually always follow my opponents off stage trying to hit them with Fairs XD, it's my most favourite tactic with GAW and it's the main reason i love to play GAW. I also sometimes use his Neutral B on the edge to annoy them to recover. I grab ALOT, i'm used to it xD. And i always Dsmash and try to hit them with it from the Dthrow. I also use the Uair alot. The thing is i might need to use Nair more often when i got hit my a strong move and then use the bucket to cancel my flying away thingy, dunno how it's called. I think it's momentum canceling.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
Sorrry.
"gimping helps out G&W on all matches" uhhh. what? my biggest problem with GAW is that i can't gimp with him. I'll get a snake up to 120 percent and then get utilted at 30 percent and die.

How do you gimp with GaW? Also has anyone ever used GaW to spike/meteor hit?

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Spiking with the key is possible but its hard to pull off and if you mess up it can very easily lead to a SD. To gimp I use the sex kick from the fair to push them too far to recover, up-b in some situations.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Don't bairs tend to help them recover? It knocks them higher and the horizontal knockback isn't all that much. Full fairs work at higher percents and near the blastzones too, forgot that before.

IIRC, can't you also ff a nair and pull them down below the stage?

Tero.

Smash Champion
I got a question. GAW is my secondary character besides Fox and Marth. So i want to know how you play with Mr GAW. I'll try to describe how i play since i can't record. Well i can but it's really sucky quality so you guys won't even see what i am doing :p

Ok, so i am trying to use Bair alot, but not to much since it gets predictable and i don't want to spam it badly. I use them the most in Shorthops. I sometimes use SHFair But not to much since it has landing lag. Nair and Bair are my usual approaches. I use the Dair alot when i'm in the air. I think i play as most GAW's. I've watched some videos of Hylian and all and i play similar to him in a inferior way. Is there anything i have to add in my GAW gameplay?
juggling in general, you should add some uthrows additional to the stuff allready mentioned
(lol at nobody mentioning that oO)

Also G&W:Falco 55:45 ? lolwut

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Oh, AFTER you use the key. I just held down.

I know what fastfall means. Dummy.

Oh wait...

That wasn't intended for you anime.

Neb

Smash Lord
Nope. Although he does have something similar: dthrow > jab > dthrow > jab > reset.
However, it is easily broken out of through teching, and or DI.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Nope. Although he does have something similar: dthrow > jab > dthrow > jab > reset.
However, it is easily broken out of through teching, and or DI.
Every option the opponent has out of GaW's throw is punishable. There is no safe option for any character.

Unfortunately, there are so MANY options that you sometimes just won't get the punishment off. Characters like Snake have such a huge techroll that punishment requires you to know what they are doing 2 matches beforehand.. or something like that.

GaW also has a beast u-throw. Well, he has an uthrow that sends them upwards and a great attack game above him, so its basically the same thing. Try that if your friends are good at being unpredictable and aren't taking damage from your d-throws.

Sonic24

Smash Apprentice
oh okay thank Neb! and is it possible to ko someone using up a at a high percentage?? ive seem people do it but i can never do it..

Neb

Smash Lord
oh okay thank Neb! and is it possible to ko someone using up a at a high percentage?? ive seem people do it but i can never do it..
Yeah, uair KO's around the same time as dair. The first beep has little knockback, while the seconds launches the kill hitbox. You need to time your uair so that it connects on the second beep. But G&W should rarely be KO'ing with the trumpet, his smashes will more often then not finish the job at vastly earlier percentages.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me, is there an operating G&W online player finder thread? I've used the search function, but characters other than G&W came up. I'm just wondering because I play a decent G&W and I wouldn't mind posting up my details so people can challenge me if they wish. Thanks in advance!

cutter

Smash Champion
Excuse me, is there an operating G&W online player finder thread? I've used the search function, but characters other than G&W came up. I'm just wondering because I play a decent G&W and I wouldn't mind posting up my details so people can challenge me if they wish. Thanks in advance!
We don't have a GW online player finder thread probably because the majority of us don't play on Wifi.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
We don't have a GW online player finder thread probably because the majority of us don't play on Wifi.
game and watch just isn't a good charcter to use online =/
Yeah unfortuantly, Wi-Fi is what I'm limited to when it comes to challenging good people. (lol, NO ONE is good on Wi-Fi!) Namely because tournaments don't exist in my location and there's like, (from what I know) 0% competitive players where I live so it sucks BAD. You don't know how lucky some of you are... :(

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
What are some good ways to aim G&W's bair? Right now, all I'm doing is coming close to the opponent, stop, turn around, short hop bair. Except the friend I play against most of the time is starting to see it coming.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
how do you guys respond to "turtle is broken"?

I played a bad@ss ice-climber in a nonmoney tourny and i had to space and destroy with turtle so that i couldn't get grabbed. I almost two stocked him until he zero to deathed me, but then the next match i three stocked him maybe (I'm not good at remembering thing).When he started complaining/whining, i used it less, got grabbed, got zero'd to death.

jog

Smash Journeyman

I played a bad@ss ice-climber in a nonmoney tourny and i had to space and destroy with turtle so that i couldn't get grabbed. I almost two stocked him until he zero to deathed me, but then the next match i three stocked him maybe (I'm not good at remembering thing).When he started complaining/whining, i used it less, got grabbed, got zero'd to death.
he shouldn't whine about bair if he's going to infinite you.

how. lame.

and no johns

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I just agree and continue using the turtle. In fact, before the match even starts I like to tell them how broken the turtle is. It's way too much fun.

I suppose if they got really obnoxious I might respond with something like "feel free to switch to Meta Knight and lose with him too". Really, just have fun with "broken" stuff; taking it seriously is a big mistake.

Sonic24

Smash Apprentice
doe sanybody know what is the best way to land the hammer on a opponent? because everytime i need it or use it i always get hit before i use it..

Gishnak

Smash Ace
doe sanybody know what is the best way to land the hammer on a opponent? because everytime i need it or use it i always get hit before i use it..
4 good ways:

Tech chase into it (Down throw, predict a roll and throw out the hammer)
Predict an air dodge into the ground. Time the hammer so that it will come out just as your opponent lands on the ground. If they didn't attack, you'll hit them.
Predict a sidestep and punish accordingly.
Run off the edge and forward B. You'll get a boost, and it might catch a recovering opponent off guard.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
I'm going to my first tournament in 6 days. I picked up DDD to handle any snakes( My friend's snake is god and so is he).

Is there anyone that you guys picked up to counter whoever Game and watch can't handle? IF that was confusing then, Who do you guys not use G&W against and who do you put in his place? I've got 6 days to master the chracter that you guys are about to say.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Dedede is a good sub for Game & Watch (or in my case vice versa lol) because their only mutual bad matchups are MK and Diddy, neither of which is an auto-loss for either character anyway. Aside from Snake and MK, there aren't too many other characters that I can think of off the top of my head that can complement Game & Watch as well. Of Game & Watch's bad matchups, Dedede does well against Snake, has a slight advantage over Marth (but can be a solid advantage is the Marth is inexperienced), and ***** DK. If you do decide to use Dedede, I'd recommend practicing chaingrabbing and getting it as tight as possible, especially if you also plan to use him against Marth. If you expect to see DKs and it's not banned at your tourney, I'd recommend practicing the infinite CG on him as well.

I'm a Dedede main and I use G&W against the following:

Ice Climbers - Dedede's worst matchup, to the point where it's nearly unwinnable.
Falco - Dedede's second worst matchup.
Pikachu - Dedede's third worst and one of Game & Watch's best.
Zelda - Not that bad of a matchup for Dedede, but Game & Watch ***** so much here that it's impossible to pass up lol.

I also use him against any character that I find myself being the aggressor against (for example, if I'm playing an extremely campy Olimar or an air camping Wario that I can't grab).

K 2

Smash Lord
I main pikachu and G&W. Even though G&W can handle 90% of his matchups, I still switch over to pikachu for chaingrabbable characters. Its not that I can't handle them with G&W, but getting a 60-80% CG * 3 stocks =180%-240% per match makes winning so much easier. Pikachu can also handle Snake , which is arguable Pikachu's worst matchup.

If you only have 6 days, I recommended MK, not because he's MK, but because he's really easy to learn.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
You obviously can pick up MK, but meh. If you can play both Falco and D3, you've got all matches covered. Gdubs has a HARD time with Marth and Snake (D3's got it covered), and a somewhat difficult time with diddy and zss(falco can handle these).

I also prefer playing against other gdubs and mks with falco. *shrug* Falco isn't a quick learn, so take that accordingly.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
Thanks errone. looks like DDD was a good pick. Does any one have tips for a first tournament kind of guy? I'm crossing my fingers that i don't get a metaknight. It's gigs in orlando just to let you know. I'm taking xyz's spot as the good florida G&W.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
I can't do it. Besides all the bad karma, he is just too boring. I only like his "Go invisible and then slice somebody move" and that's not enough for me to do it. I'm really hoping that I won't have to fight a metaknight.

Is that possible, or is every other match going to be a metaknight?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I can't do it. Besides all the bad karma, he is just too boring. I only like his "Go invisible and then slice somebody move" and that's not enough for me to do it. I'm really hoping that I won't have to fight a metaknight.

Is that possible, or is every other match going to be a metaknight?
Depends on your location, the players there, how far you make it, and luck.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
Chum on luck. Alright, I saw Hylian use the chair. Why did he do that, Isn't the manwhole longer and faster with less ending lag? an accident maybe?

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat?. I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

Top Bottom