• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
You should try mixing in d.smash with d.tilt because the d.smash can catch opponents trying to jump onto the ledge. The hit box of the d.smash can extend past the ledge.

K@0S

Smash Ace
I was talking about ledgeguarding, not egdeguarding :)

You shouldn't use dsmash too much for ledgeguarding while using chef. I use dtilt because it's fast and the stun after a bacon is short. ButI admit that I sometimes fsmash when the opponent is above 80%, more range on the ground than dsmash and it tends to outprioritize everything.

K@0S

Smash Ace
I need some tips against samus. Z-air outranges everything, her dtilt has more range that yours and it's her best kill moove (fair -> dtilt is deadly), you can't absorb missiles and it's sooo hard to land a smash (I barely never kill with them; only fair and edgeguard).

K 2

Smash Lord
Yes, while ftilt isn't your best move, it does have some uses. Its good for punishing your opponent when your smashes would be too slow. It does 10%, while dtilt only does 6%. Generally, I prefer dtilt over this move since its 4 frames faster and it has more range. Also, ftilt has decent knockback which can kill at higher percents (~150%).

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
What K2 said is right, however make sure you don't force it. No matter the uses we find, it IS one of GaW's worst moves, so learn it in friendlies well before you try it in the match, it can and will get you punished.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You're talking about Chef, right Roderick? There's a bit of debate on the usefulness of Chef but most G&Ws, including myself, never use it. Some say it's good for edguarding but I think there are better options.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Great for edgeguarding before going into dash attack or off the stage with a F.air, D.air or U.air. Can also be use to create openings and setting up smashes. That's probably never going to happen again, but I once killed a Snake off the stage by doing N.air->chef semi-spike.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
-with full bucket does anybody else do dthrow-bucket? works super well
Two problems with this:

1. If they DI behind you and you use the bucket without turning around, you will completely miss.

2. If they tech roll you will almost certainly miss them unless you tech chase them or unless they have an absolutely horrible tech roll length.

DonQuixote

Smash Apprentice
Two problems with this:

1. If they DI behind you and you use the bucket without turning around, you will completely miss.

2. If they tech roll you will almost certainly miss them unless you tech chase them or unless they have an absolutely horrible tech roll length.

im pretty sure even if they tech roll it works as long as you are facing the right way. not totally sure though

K@0S

Smash Ace
I need some tips against samus. Z-air outranges everything, her dtilt has more range that yours and it's her best kill moove (fair -> dtilt is deadly), you can't absorb missiles and it's sooo hard to land a smash (I barely never kill with them; only fair and edgeguard).
No one has any experience against a good samus ?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Don't be predictable and don't attack in a horizontal line against her. Approach with full hops a lot and use the double jump when you see their shield to keep them guessing.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
No one has any experience against a good samus ?
I hate to sound mean, but samus isn't a very good character, ie; G&W destroys. I seriously don't understand why that could be a hard match up. U-air spam, nair since she's a bit bigger, bair on the ground, bucket when shes A FIREN HER LAZAR!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Did you ever face a VERY good samus ?
no because there really isn't one. samus has far too many flaws. Few kills moves, and the few she has aren't too practical. This is where G&W dominates.

Although its died down, the reason why people thought g&w was so broken was because he destroyed anyone not high+ tier. I can honestly say anyone playing a low tier character such as samus could NOT beat a better player at high tier.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I believe that there is one and that he's a certain Dr. Pepper loving mod.
Eh, Hylian doesn't care, he knows Samus loses to G&W but not THAT bad. Maybe 65:35 at worst.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Eh, Hylian doesn't care, he knows Samus loses to G&W but not THAT bad. Maybe 65:35 at worst.
65:35 sounds good to me.
Obv G&W has the advantage, he can kill Samus at pretty early % not to talk about bucket kills if he absorbs her charge beam. Samus still has stuff to oppose (zair has good range, gaw can't absorb missiles, etc.)

jiggly_owns_u

Smash Cadet
Can anyone please tell me the correct way to Di out of certain moves?

Snakes Nair- i've just started trying to di out of this by flicking both sticks up continously, is there a better way?

Marth's side B- i'm supposed to Di to the left right?

MK's tornado-how do i do this again?

Yea....i'm have sum troubles with our would be counters,answer please

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
before you answers jigglies question, here is mine.

What moves have the longest range in the air?. Ness ***** the air, or i suck balls and should quit. look up " Masky" 's videos he's insanse. thats the kid i played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQRsFBuyvk - ness vs samus hariettetheguy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOttqA0X9XQ ness vs ddd hariettetheguy

On the ground? i always use down tilt.

Don't say chef. I know its longer. I'ld answer jigglies question but i don't know the answer.

omg stands for "oh my Gaw'd its gaw"

jog

Smash Journeyman
How do you get smashes with G&W, it's so hard because everyone I play sees it coming.
don't spam

d smash is very fast, f smash works through spot dodges, and up smash is great for tech chasing. just find which situation suits which smash attack. also a fresh fair is good for a kill.

jog

Smash Journeyman
So should I keep my Fair fresh for the kill just in case maybe?
haha thats what your smashes are for :p

i'm just saying if you happen to find yourself not using it for a while and the opponent is at a high percent its a decent kill move. but i wouldn't save it just for killing. its good for off stage pressure and your on stage air game.

also d smash is your best friend and great for punishing

Tero.

Smash Champion
How do you get smashes with G&W, it's so hard because everyone I play sees it coming.
Mostly techchasing, predicting spotdodges, punishing opponents mistakes oos and stuff.
Against some characters you can dthrow dsmash, look at the stickies to find a list.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Mostly techchasing, predicting spotdodges, punishing opponents mistakes oos and stuff.
Against some characters you can dthrow dsmash, look at the stickies to find a list.
d throw to d smash only works on noobs who can't tech

not characters choice

Tero.

Smash Champion
d throw to d smash only works on noobs who can't tech

not characters choice
lol yeah, sorry forgot to mention that (it's still good against noobs who can't tech, better GaW use uthrow anyway)

anyway here is the list I mentioned:

Down throw - (6%)

GW juggles the opponent and then throws them to the ground.
  • Your opponent can choose to land on your right or left side through DI
  • Your opponent can tech this attack by pressing l or r and can escape any supposedly "infinite" combos
  • Make good use of tech chasing to rack up a lot of damage
  • Fsmash, upsmash, dsmash, another grab, jabs, dtilts, and dash attacks all work very well to punish your enemies rolls

Mr. Escalator was able to find out when characters were able to escape the down throw to down smash combination. Any character can escape this combo by teching when they hit the ground to the left, right, or in place. This chart only shows when characters can roll away to avoid it.

Red Characters - you can't hit them with your down smash as they can hold left or right while being thrown to escape
Orange Characters - you can only hit them if they do a get up attack from the ground, they can buffer rolls to escape
Green Characters - these characters can buffer a roll to escape your down smash but if they try to time the roll, you will likely hit them
Blue Characters - even if they buffer a roll you can hit them before they move.

Heavy Characters:
Dedede
DK
Ganondorf
Ike
(is orange for the first throw)
Bowser
Snake
Charizard
Samus
Link
ROB

Medium Characters:
Lucario
Luigi
Ivysaur

Yoshi
Wario
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Mario
(60-70% he turns red)
Sonic

Light Characters:
Peach
Pit

Diddy Kong
Toon Link
(40-50% he turns red)
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Ness
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik

Very Light Characters:
Marth
Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Squirtle
Game and Watch
Jigglypuff

Notes about this list
* Any character can tech roll to avoid this combo
* Take note that the lighter characters are much easier to hit than the heavier characters
* Some characters change color depending on percents (as noted above)

Tero.

Smash Champion
I saw someone talking about Bucket Breaking on the ROB boards. What exactly is it since I was not able to figure it out?
G&W Bucket stops Momentum you can use this to save yourself at % where you would normaly die. To do this you should nair(or any other aerial, but nair is faster) asap after you got hit and send flying and use your bucket after the nair has finished.

For more infos look at this topic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207111 or this video: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

Top Bottom