• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Alright, I want to preface with the fact I do not play Brawl competitively or really play it at all.... until now.... maybe?

So Game and Watch is my favorite smash character... however he seems to be quite below average in each smash game except for Brawl according to tier lists I have checked out and people I have asked. With Smash 4 on its way and Project M becoming more popular is it too late for me to get into Brawl with Game and Watch? I would really enjoy playing a game where my character can shine more.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Kinda?

GW sorta sucks but he's not terrible.

Relatively this is his strongest game. Back in 08 he was 3rd best in the game. Nowadays he's just under the viability borderline. It's because he has a very good moveset but each of the moves are pretty situational so once people figured him out he kept dropping and still does. In addition the increase in IC mains makes it hard to solo GW in tourney.

It's not as bad as trying to start competitive brawl with like ness or something but it'll be pretty hard still. If you have good fundamentals and good neutral you should have an easier time and I know you need good neutral to use Falcon in Melee (which I see is your main)

Go for it, though. This character could use some life, there's not a lot of us left these days.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Kinda?

GW sorta sucks but he's not terrible.

Relatively this is his strongest game. Back in 08 he was 3rd best in the game. Nowadays he's just under the viability borderline. It's because he has a very good moveset but each of the moves are pretty situational so once people figured him out he kept dropping and still does. In addition the increase in IC mains makes it hard to solo GW in tourney.

It's not as bad as trying to start competitive brawl with like ness or something but it'll be pretty hard still. If you have good fundamentals and good neutral you should have an easier time and I know you need good neutral to use Falcon in Melee (which I see is your main)

Go for it, though. This character could use some life, there's not a lot of us left these days.
What are the characters short comings?
Yeah, I have noticed all players who main G&W always have a MK or IC's. More in particuluar IC's. Why?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
GW requires plenty of risk taking to get anything out of him. You need to make those early kills count. You can't really play a safe game with him. Most of his moves are rather unsafe to use and it's very hard to not be predictable as you lack a reliable and safe spacing move, bair still has the SDI issue, fair is too slow and has a lot of landing lag, nair lacks a reliable hitbox for that purpose.
And if you don't pull off your Dthrow techchase it's also going to be an uphill battle.
GW and IC are a good combo because they compliment each other rather well. Where ICs lack, GW does well, like counterpick stages. Unfortunately there are no more stages in the game so the combo is rather obsolete now, you are better off just going solo ICs.

Top Bottom