• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

K 2

Smash Lord
If your opponent is edgehogging your friend, make it your first priority to get over to the edge and knock your opponent off the edge.

G&W is bad against marth, MK, and Snake. I'm not sure about Zamus's match against them, but you would want Zamus to cover at least 1-2 of them, since they are all commonly used in tourneys.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
vyse, what you want is to make sure your spacing is airtight. GaW is powerful as all hell in doubles, make sure it isn't wasted on your teammates.

Also, learn to smash off Zamus's grab releases, even if it isn't common it leads to early deaths.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
If your opponent is edgehogging your friend, make it your first priority to get over to the edge and knock your opponent off the edge.

G&W is bad against marth, MK, and Snake. I'm not sure about Zamus's match against them, but you would want Zamus to cover at least 1-2 of them, since they are all commonly used in tourneys.
vyse, what you want is to make sure your spacing is airtight. GaW is powerful as all hell in doubles, make sure it isn't wasted on your teammates.

Also, learn to smash off Zamus's grab releases, even if it isn't common it leads to early deaths.
Good stuff. I'll have to practice with my team mate.

I think ZSS can cover MK, though that's debatable in teams (lol, that's debatable regardless >.>)

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I've been trying stuff like trotting to true pivoted f-smashing for that Marth-esque spacing and what not. Works really well.

K 2

Smash Lord
G&W's problem against marth is that marth outranges G&W, but I think ZSS and her super plasma whip of death matches the range of marth's sword.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
G&W's problem against marth is that marth outranges G&W, but I think ZSS and her super plasma whip of death matches the range of marth's sword.
tipper from marth = death at <80
zamus whip = death at >90

range may match, the power doesn't.
The biggest problem against marth for me is the up-b out of sheild that will hit if marth sheilds practically any move. Nair, Bair... you name it.

Noa.

Smash Master
What are some good stages for G&W, apart from Greens Greens, Corneria, and Rainbow Cruise? Those stages are unfortunately banned, so I could use some guidance.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What are some good stages for G&W, apart from Greens Greens, Corneria, and Rainbow Cruise? Those stages are unfortunately banned, so I could use some guidance.
Frigate Orpheon is pretty good. Battlefield is hit best neutral for the most part. Pirate ship is good.

K 2

Smash Lord
All of them are banned? You probably shouldn't use G&W in your area then... -_-

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like Norfair, particularly against chaingrabbers.. Halberd has also been good to me, except against Snake, Dedede, and other characters who kill off the top.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone

Doesn't he have issues with Diddy also? If not it must just be me :dizzy:

K 2

Smash Lord
G&W 's glidetoss = MK brokenness

All you need is matchup experience. The first time I played a diddy online, I got three stocked in 2 minutes. But now that I've pick up diddy as a secondary (to learn the matchup better), I've done a lot better against diddy's. The key is to fight in the air and to use the bananas against diddy.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Ah, then I need to improve snatching the nanners from him I guess. He always punishes me for trying to grab them with a dash attack and the standing grab seems like it has no range on it at all.

Getting him in the air is another issue I'm having, once hes there though I got it. He tends to keep a nanner close by to trip me after trying to b-air him, the d-air is all I can seem to approach with and that gets punished by a shield grab or him rolling away and then f-smashing. Any tips?

K 2

Smash Lord
Ah, then I need to improve snatching the nanners from him I guess. He always punishes me for trying to grab them with a dash attack and the standing grab seems like it has no range on it at all.

Getting him in the air is another issue I'm having, once hes there though I got it. He tends to keep a nanner close by to trip me after trying to b-air him, the d-air is all I can seem to approach with and that gets punished by a shield grab or him rolling away and then f-smashing. Any tips?
Read this. It has a link to a video too.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204661

Practice glidetossing. Standing grab is your best option, since Dash attack is slow and laggy.

For dairs, make sure you do cross up dairs (land behind them) so you don't get shield grabbed. Everytime you hit his shield (preferably with a nair, but maybe with a bair also) up b. Constantly use up b and keep the fight in the air. I believe if the banana hits you in the air, the lag/hitstun/whatever is shorter than the trip animation when you're on the ground.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I know how to glide toss well, it was always just getting my hands on the nanners to begin with. I'll work on it though for sure. Thanks for the help :)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I know how to glide toss well, it was always just getting my hands on the nanners to begin with. I'll work on it though for sure. Thanks for the help :)

Remember, the Diddy will punish you if you focus on getting the bananas! If you are having trouble getting them on platforms, Z-grab them, if they are on the ground and the game is close quarters, just knock the Diddy away before going after the bananas.

Sure, a Diddy is trying to knock you away just as hard, but take advantage of the situation when it arrives.

Also, if you like glidetossing a lot, you could learn to grab the peanuts, if your friend uses those.

K 2

Smash Lord
Glidetoss -> dsmash is just too good.

Try throwing the naner down. You essential get a "super wavedash" that allows you to smash out of it =)

The most important this is matchup experience. Play a lot of diddys and you will become familiar with their tricks and stuff. Most of all, just practice. Good Luck!

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Remember, the Diddy will punish you if you focus on getting the bananas! If you are having trouble getting them on platforms, Z-grab them, if they are on the ground and the game is close quarters, just knock the Diddy away before going after the bananas.

Sure, a Diddy is trying to knock you away just as hard, but take advantage of the situation when it arrives.

Also, if you like glidetossing a lot, you could learn to grab the peanuts, if your friend uses those.
You know, I never thought that I might have started directing too much attention to his nanners but now that you mention it I think its probally my biggest problem with it now :dizzy:

Up on platforms aren't a problem nor the rare instances when I'm airborne and he chucks a nanner that way its always on the ground.

The diddy I play is actually a friend whom I play almost daily, I was doing great with G&W for a while but it just turned downhill recently. I really think I'm too focused on messing up the nanner game than messing with Diddy in general. :psycho:

Anyhow I really appreciate all the advice from you guys :)

Edit- Haha all the advice and stuff is working now. I went from losing when he had low-mid percents on last stocks to two stocking him again consistently :)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You know, I never thought that I might have started directing too much attention to his nanners but now that you mention it I think its probally my biggest problem with it now :dizzy:

Up on platforms aren't a problem nor the rare instances when I'm airborne and he chucks a nanner that way its always on the ground.

The diddy I play is actually a friend whom I play almost daily, I was doing great with G&W for a while but it just turned downhill recently. I really think I'm too focused on messing up the nanner game than messing with Diddy in general. :psycho:

Anyhow I really appreciate all the advice from you guys :)
Np, remember to watch how the game is going, and always be conscious of what his happening and try to make the game go to your favor overall, not just the particular moment in time... It is a very hard art to master, but you will get the hang of it if you focus =]

THE IRON KENYAN

Smash Rookie
Im kind of a newb so bear with me here,

does anyone know specifically where I can find somewhere I can learn G&Watches basic techniques, or basic techniques that any player could make use of?

I just started this whole smash thing and im just trying to find out what i should learn first.

EDIT: My bad. Im a full blow smash tard.

K 2

Smash Lord
No worries. This is the Q&A thread where you can ask (almost) anything and people won't make fun of you =P

First off, read the stickies (the threads at the top of the page). Omegablackmage's guide is a really helpful place to start.

G&W has a really good set of aerials, so you want to exploit them. Learn to RAR (reverse aerial rush), which lets you use bair (back air = turtle).

I'm not sure of what you know about G&W and what you don't know. If you have any more specific questions after you read the stickies, feel free to come back here and ask us.

jog

Smash Journeyman
not really a question as more of a poll per se,
who has ever killed with Up-B?
i've done it twice now. and not at high damage, just good timing, its very rewarding.

Neb

Smash Lord
When a foe is recovering and is fairly close to a blast zone (ex- barely survived a sweetspotted fair),
just leap off the stage, and angle your upb into them, then DI back to the ledge. S'all there is to it.
This works best when your opponent is recovering high because G&W's low horizontal return is
lacking. Also, its more effective at mid to high percentages, but is achievable even earlier.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
When a foe is recovering and is fairly close to a blast zone (ex- barely survived a sweetspotted fair),
just leap off the stage, and angle your upb into them, then DI back to the ledge. S'all there is to it.
This works best when your your opponent is recovery high because G&W's low horizontal return is
lacking. Also, its more effective at mid to high percentages, but is achievable even earlier.
This. Also, it's best to punish spot dodges with it because it's a little risky.

K 2

Smash Lord
This works best when your your opponent is recovery high because G&W's low horizontal return is
Ah Thanks. Another trick G&W has up his sleeve.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I've done it a few times, ESPECIALLY on walk off parts of stages. I really wouldn't suggest trying it tho. Its a good way to get yourself killed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've done this on Rainbow Cruise quite a few times, and it rocks. It's probably also amazing on Corneria, which I never play on though.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Yea, I kinda thought it was common knowledge at this point =\.

I'll show ya K2, im going to that tournament you PMed me about.

K 2

Smash Lord
Yea, I kinda thought it was common knowledge at this point =\.

I'll show ya K2, im going to that tournament you PMed me about.
Sweet! I hope to see you in friendlies. I'm about 80-90% sure I can go. I just have to get a few friends to go along with my and I'm pretty sure I can convince my parents to let me go there.

jog

Smash Journeyman
if you guys could ever make it to a HOBO in houston let me know, i'd like to play some of you guys.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
if you guys could ever make it to a HOBO in houston let me know, i'd like to play some of you guys.
I've been to most of these and even won one >_>.

Top Bottom