• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Neb

Smash Lord
I disagree :). Killing someone at 50% with Fsmash and then killing them at 0% the next stock with Oil panic and then Dtilt locking them on the fin 0-death is too good :).
I agree with that, lol, but the stage itself doesn't really compliment other area's of G&W's game.
Its still up there, but yeah, I'm just different, I'd choose Green Greens over it for more assured, consistent advantages, :p.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I agree with that, lol, but the stage itself doesn't really compliment other area's of G&W's game.
Its still up there, but yeah, I'm just different, I'd choose Green Greens, :p.
I agree it doesn't completly compliment GW. The stage is unique though in the fact that it allow GW a 0-death anywhere on the stage via the bucket or Dtilt lock. Mix this with the fact that you can kill characters at 50% here with smashes and GW is just a powerhouse here. You just have to play carefully. Your opponent is disadvantaged whereever they go.

Green greens is good too though.

K 2

Smash Lord
Uthrow.

Snake can buffer a roll/tech to avoid the dthrow -> dsmash thing.

Snake sucks in the air so its very easy to juggle/combo him in the air.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
I read something online that said if you charged Mr. GAW's alarm bell thing while recovering from an edge that it could do 100%; is this possible?

I'm not a pro w/GAW, nor with any character (the closest for me is Mario). All I can do is his Alarm, which only does about 11% (I think, not sure).

Can anyone find out more about this please? Thanks!

And don't just say "it's possible", can you please tell me how to do it?

K 2

Smash Lord
Alarm bell? His taunt?

Or his side b? (with the hammer)?

I have no idea of what your talking about...

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
Alarm bell? His taunt?

Or his side b? (with the hammer)?

I have no idea of what your talking about...
It's really hard to describe. Go to training w/GAW, grab an edge and press A or something, then he'll smash his alarm bell as an attack. Someone said that you could charge that and it could do 100% damage and that's what I'm trying to figure out

jog

Smash Journeyman
It's really hard to describe. Go to training w/GAW, grab an edge and press A or something, then he'll smash his alarm bell as an attack. Someone said that you could charge that and it could do 100% damage and that's what I'm trying to figure out
there's no such move
i'm guessing you saw it here:

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Game_&_Watch_(SSBB)

characters have two different ledge attack with their damage ratio
over 100% and under 100%
so that slower bell is the ledge attack the he performs when he's at 100% or more
it doesn't mean it does 100% damage to your opponent

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I expect this thread to be used a lot more from now on :).

K 2

Smash Lord
Ah. The ledge attack. Don't use it. Don't use ledgeroll either.

Normal getup (if your opponent is fair away), ledgehopping, and jumping (maybe) are you best options.

You can also just ledgecamp, since G&W excels at that.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What's the best way to taunt as G&W? I was thinking of using the jab while making orgasm noises.

But seriously, is there anything important I should know about Game & Watch? I just picked him up last night so there's a lot I don't know. I know about bair approaching, nair juggling, dthrow -> dsmash, and a little bit about pillaring and stage selection. And before you say it, yes, I'm going to read the stickies lol.

K 2

Smash Lord
I love your avitar btw...a Mexican Metaknight wearing a sombraro...lol

Taunting? G&W has bad taunts. I usually just crouch over and over again. He makes some weird noise and it looks like he's teabagging you. Dashdancing and foxtrotting looks flashy if you want to do that. Jumping and immediantly pressing dair can also be a pseudo taunt...

Depending on the level of your opponent, learn to techchase after a dthrow. Heavier characters can roll out of the dthrow -> dsmash combo, but I think dthrow -> dtilt is guaranteed for all characters.

Dtilt is your best ground option. It's amazing at shutting out ground approaches.

When your opponent is at 80-100%, usmash and dsmash are you best kill options. If they are at high percents (120-150%) fair and ftilt come out fast and can kill.

Uair is just too good.

Don't use Bucket, Chef, or Judgement Hammers. Bucket has a situational use.

Read the stickies and if you have any more specific questions, come back here and ask us. I'm not to sure of what you know right now and what you don't know.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I love your avitar btw...a Mexican Metaknight wearing a sombraro...lol
Su nombre es MetaCaballero.

Taunting? G&W has bad taunts. I usually just crouch over and over again. He makes some weird noise and it looks like he's teabagging you. Dashdancing and foxtrotting looks flashy if you want to do that. Jumping and immediantly pressing dair can also be a pseudo taunt...
This is very disappointing. Taunt options are extremely important in a character. I think I'll just stick with the jerkoff jab.

Actually, maybe I could use Judgement as a taunt. Use it twice really quick to hopefully get a food drop. Food can drop with items off, right?

Depending on the level of your opponent, learn to techchase after a dthrow. Heavier characters can roll out of the dthrow -> dsmash combo, but I think dthrow -> dtilt is guaranteed for all characters.
Thanks. I was trying to do the dthrow -> dsmash against my friend's Marth last night but I could only land it once out of over a dozen games.

Dtilt is your best ground option. It's amazing at shutting out ground approaches.
It kind of seems like it's his only ground option the more I look at his other moves. This, single jab, and dash attack are the only moves I end up using on the ground. Should I try to incorporate other tilts in my game or is this pretty much normal?

Also, is there anywhere I can find some recent (from the past month or so) Game & Watch videos? The ones in the video thread are a tad old.

Thanks for your help.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Actually, maybe I could use Judgement as a taunt. Use it twice really quick to hopefully get a food drop. Food can drop with items off, right?

the food only drops if you hit someone with a 7
and it would be a good idea to cycle through 2 hammers after you get a 9
that way you could get a 9 again

but you shouldn't really be playing the hammers unless you're feeling lucky and want to gamble with it.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
yeah, the 1 will damage yourself, hit or no.

i still play with them.

its great to call it, i rarely fail.

my friend was doing a bunch of wolf ledge tricks, did em for like 30 seconds, and finished with "ha, can you do that?"

so i responded "can you do THIS?!?" and got a 9.

^_^ thats always fun

K 2

Smash Lord
Su nombre es MetaCaballero.

This is very disappointing. Taunt options are extremely important in a character. I think I'll just stick with the jerkoff jab.

Thanks. I was trying to do the dthrow -> dsmash against my friend's Marth last night but I could only land it once out of over a dozen games.

It kind of seems like it's his only ground option the more I look at his other moves. This, single jab, and dash attack are the only moves I end up using on the ground. Should I try to incorporate other tilts in my game or is this pretty much normal?

Also, is there anywhere I can find some recent (from the past month or so) Game & Watch videos? The ones in the video thread are a tad old.

Thanks for your help.
Ah, lo siento Sr. MetaCaballero. Me llamo el Sr. Juego y Reloj

Yeah...G&W has crappy taunts, but thats why I use Pikachu! Best Taunts in the world!

Don't use judgement. You get a 9 and you'll regret it, or you will get a 1 and hurt yourself.

If you read this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141781 , it will show you which characteres dthrow->dsmash works on. If they roll away, you can techchase and regrab, usmash, dash attack, or possible an aerial.

Dtilt and Jab are his only useful ground options. Utilt is good for juggle at low percents. Utilt into Nair is a nice combo, but that stops working at around 20-30%, so its not that useful. ftilt sucks. The only use for it is to KO at higher percents (150), but there should be NO reason your opponent is living that high, since you G&W.

Eh...I don't think the video thread has been updated lately...sorry. Just go to youtube and type in "Hylian G&W video" or something like that and watch those.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think I was clear on the Judgement thing. I'm not actually going to use it against my opponent, I would've just used it as some post-homicidal shenanigans since you can't pull a 1 the first 2 times you use it in a stock (according to Omegablackmage's guide). Of course if you actually have to connect with a 7 in order to get food then forget it.

And yes, I've seen Omegablackmage's guide. It's amazing.

K 2

Smash Lord
You don't have to connect with Judgement to receive food...I think it only heals 4%, but that 4% could mean the difference between life and death. I usually don't do it, but it's up to your personal preference.

I would save your "7" for the forbidden fruit combo, but that's just mehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DfwwcYAx4

jog

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to connect with Judgement to receive food...I think it only heals 4%, but that 4% could mean the difference between life and death. I usually don't do it, but it's up to your personal preference.

I would save your "7" for the forbidden fruit combo, but that's just mehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DfwwcYAx4
no trust me you do have to hit to get the food
i've played where i've throw out a 7 and either missed or was just shielded and no food came out.

K 2

Smash Lord
^^^

Oh. I never use judgement hammer. I thought you didn't have to connect to get the apple, but I guess you do now...

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
How large is his dtilts hitbox in terms of vertical? Im pretty sure that if metaknights comin at me with a sh fair; i can shut him down (although it sometimes doesnt look like the move even hits him). Also can it cancel out other characters sh approaches or is it just short characters? Btw in terms of taunts i always pull out the bucket and tap right and left repeatedly and say "can anyone spare some change?"; like the hobo he is.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Think about how high G&W's head is when he D-tilts. That's about how high the hitbox goes if I recall.

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
Yet another question as a bumperoo for this thread. My pal claims that if u use gw's smashs consecutively; the ones after the first smash come out faster than the first smash because he doesn't reset his image to standing. Im pretty sure it does reset everytime after hes done smashing and it also looks slow as hell to me (then again i used to play melee...). Is it just a mind thing or does it actually kill a few frames?

And yes; EVERYONE should be a hobo asking for change when they playin g dub the scrub

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W's Smashes mainly have crazy low ending lag, while the F-smash in particular has a lasting hitbox that murders dodges. This allows him to spam Smashes at a fairly fast rate, and it's not particularly easy to punish since all of his Smashes are almost always safe on block.

What's better than spamming Smashes though is well-timed charge releases. G&W has some extremely good charge releases on his Smashes (not so much F-smash, but U-smash and D-smash are both very good). U-smash may seem to come out slowly, but the charge release eliminates almost all of the startup lag, and since G&W's Smashes have only 10 frames of ending lag, it's crazy, especially if he Hyphen Smashes and reads a spotdodge.

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
ohhhhhh good piece of wisdom in my bucket again lol. But who needs smashes when gw can hand out the JUDGEMENT HAMMER!!?! Has anyone ever tried to use the chair alongside with all this other moves? When i started using gw i used to use it outta his dair; only to find out the fsmash does the same job cept maybe....ionno.....better? Not to mention u can refresh with uair no prob right? Hmmm come to think of it; does the chair have more range then his fsmash or dtilt?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
f-tilt is one of his worst moves, just because, yeah, his f-smash is pretty much just as good, just a bit slower, but far more worth it. D-tilt has around the same range, and its much faster.

F-tilt is just a stupid move.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I want to make a thread on GAW's dair, not how great it is or anything, just how to avoid it. Has it been done?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Making those threads usually leads to generic and pointless tips, unless you go to your character thread and make it for that character. We aren't going to write a guide for each character, so I would search your character's forums for that.

My question! I saw the most recent GaW videos of Hylian, and he used some of the tricks I use to be very aggressive... How viable is this aggression against Meta Knight? I feel he has the tools to punish all my approaches, at the right speed, and it hurts... I normally stick to a controlled approach so that I can land all my hits, I find this pays off at least more than the fast aggressive GaW...

So, am I aggressing wrong or is MK just not a character to fight like that on.

(The videos of Hylain at OhSnap4)

jog

Smash Journeyman
Making those threads usually leads to generic and pointless tips, unless you go to your character thread and make it for that character. We aren't going to write a guide for each character, so I would search your character's forums for that.

My question! I saw the most recent GaW videos of Hylian, and he used some of the tricks I use to be very aggressive... How viable is this aggression against Meta Knight? I feel he has the tools to punish all my approaches, at the right speed, and it hurts... I normally stick to a controlled approach so that I can land all my hits, I find this pays off at least more than the fast aggressive GaW...

So, am I aggressing wrong or is MK just not a character to fight like that on.

(The videos of Hylain at OhSnap4)

well here's an example of NinjaLink playing M2K and beating him because he was aggressive
now i know G&W isn't Diddy but this shows how aggressive play paid off in the end. so it could be the best way to play MK. just work on not giving MK any room to make a move.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206960

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
well here's an example of NinjaLink playing M2K and beating him because he was aggressive
now i know G&W isn't Diddy but this shows how aggressive play paid off in the end. so it could be the best way to play MK. just work on not giving MK any room to make a move.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206960
I was there =D.

I just feel like that agression worked because of grabs, for some reason, at least having the option to do them as Diddy does... but GaW can't run into a grab like that!.

jog

Smash Journeyman
I was there =D.

I just feel like that agression worked because of grabs, for some reason, at least having the option to do them as Diddy does... but GaW can't run into a grab like that!.
wow you were at that tourny? man i would have loved to have been there and seen that match in person. and you're right G&W has a horrid dash grab. but G&W can pressure with bair really well, and the shield pokes just add to the greatness of the move.

Top Bottom