• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
wow you were at that tourny? man i would have loved to have been there and seen that match in person. and you're right G&W has a horrid dash grab. but G&W can pressure with bair really well, and the shield pokes just add to the greatness of the move.
It was a great experience, fully worth the drive (10 hours, 13 with our stops... we had a dog with us).

Bair can be punished by an SL out of shield...

jog

Smash Journeyman
It was a great experience, fully worth the drive (10 hours, 13 with our stops... we had a dog with us).

Bair can be punished by an SL out of shield...
i bet it was.
and hmmm idk then, i don't have much experience with MK :/

K 2

Smash Lord
I picked up MK to learn how to beat him. It's always easier to beat your opponent if you know all of their options. Since I'm a psuedo MK user, I know the basic strengths and weaknesses of MK. Whenever I encounter any difficult situation with MK, I know that's where I should take MK when I'm using G&W.

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
pseudo...........SPIKE!!!!! Take that. True wat K2 says though; "know the enemy before knowing oneself", or some kinda bs like that lol. Metaknight truly is a frustrating one though. And it totally sucks that you cant get super speedy aggressive against him without getting nailed a couple dozen times. What i like to do is throw a "pseudo....." wall of pain with his turtles, mix in the empty jumps; and then have him OMG when i sh dair into a dtilt for super supriseyness. God that whorenado ticks the bucket outta me though.....

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
f-tilt is one of his worst moves, just because, yeah, his f-smash is pretty much just as good, just a bit slower, but far more worth it. D-tilt has around the same range, and its much faster.

F-tilt is just a stupid move.
B-air will combo into F-tilt at low percents reliably. It almost NEVER combos into F-smash however. You CAN combo into D-tilt the same way, but it's a bit harder to buffer, and does less damage.

I'm pretty sure you can do similar tricks out of N-air with G&W's tilts in general if you space the N-air right with just the initial hits.

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
ahhhh yea i used tricks like that. One of my favs i use in replacement of the turtle when they shield is sh over them and use nair to catch the shield and so that im behind them when i land and then stick the chair to them. Btw is the chair a lingering hitbox? never actually tested cuz i either whiff it or nail them on the spot

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Chair lingers slightly. Not enough to reliably punish most spotdodges though.

K 2

Smash Lord
I mean exactly what I said.
The word 'pseudo', is used a lot on smashboards.
ah...sorry.

Would it be better to say: I picked up metaknight just to learn out to beat him....blah, blah, blah?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
B-air will combo into F-tilt at low percents reliably. It almost NEVER combos into F-smash however. You CAN combo into D-tilt the same way, but it's a bit harder to buffer, and does less damage.

I'm pretty sure you can do similar tricks out of N-air with G&W's tilts in general if you space the N-air right with just the initial hits.

d-tilt sets up better

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
dude dtilt rocks for everything since melee; but were trying to figure out different uses of the chair. I mean....it cant be THAT useless can it? Btw just to lay out a quick non char based question; wheres metaknights 5th frame in the shuttle loop (aka his invinisibility frame), is it the peak, the startup.....? Trying to figure when to put the key to him safely

K 2

Smash Lord
frame: 1-4 start up lag
frame 5-8?: invincibility
frame 8?-???: hitbox is out, but MK is not invinicible

The invincibility frames come out 5 frames after MK enters the move, so it would be at start up. Either beat him before the invincibilty comes out, or wait for them to wear off.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Against SL I just prefer to pseudo evacuate and then pseudo punish his lag. Not the best solution, but it is a pseudo mindgame.

pseudo.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Making those threads usually leads to generic and pointless tips, unless you go to your character thread and make it for that character. We aren't going to write a guide for each character, so I would search your character's forums for that.

My question! I saw the most recent GaW videos of Hylian, and he used some of the tricks I use to be very aggressive... How viable is this aggression against Meta Knight? I feel he has the tools to punish all my approaches, at the right speed, and it hurts... I normally stick to a controlled approach so that I can land all my hits, I find this pays off at least more than the fast aggressive GaW...

So, am I aggressing wrong or is MK just not a character to fight like that on.

(The videos of Hylain at OhSnap4)
Sursly, any thoughts?

lol, shut-up, Phloat, xD.
='[

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Does anybody have any tips on pillaring? I just feel it should be pretty good to learn since I find myself dairing a lot of the time
and I think it would be better if I used upB to combo with it as well.

* I'm just a very dairing person LOLPUN HAR HAR HAR

Gates

Banned via Warnings
hahaha i just read your Metaknight Forum Drinking Game
lets just say, i lol'd.
lol thanks. I wish I could go back and edit it to change Hylian to "stand roughly 6 feet away from a toilet and try to vomit into it".

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
you know phloat; i cant agree with what u said. I only pseudo agree with u. For me, i prefer to pseudo attack metaknight so that he doesnt feel the pseudo attack advantage over my pseudo attacks. But you know; if we pseudo the psychic superman, then that automatically pseudos out of the pseudo morphin time of the super pseudoman. And therefore metaknight is PSEUDO DEFEATED....... FALCON PAUNCH!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
you know phloat; i cant agree with what u said. I only pseudo agree with u. For me, i prefer to pseudo attack metaknight so that he doesnt feel the pseudo attack advantage over my pseudo attacks. But you know; if we pseudo the psychic superman, then that automatically pseudos out of the pseudo morphin time of the super pseudoman. And therefore metaknight is PSEUDO DEFEATED....... FALCON PAUNCH!
I'm going to pseudo sig this.

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
And now that its ended. Lets start it up again with another question. Who rocks harder? Metaknight or game and watch?!?!?

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
cuz everyone knows the answer...*shakes head* lol. Btw the answer was.....GAME AND WATCH to that last question. jeebus. Whenever i play against mk's i can keep a decent pace of offense. But i know what u mean cuz i love to go all out speedy speedster jumping and running all over the place. The only thing is metaknight does that GOODER, FASTER, EASIER, with UBER PRIORITY. Not to mention his running speed is bs; i mean...is that faster then CAPTAIN FALCON?!?! So in the end its more efficient and effective landin hits when ur noggin's the one thinking about how to hit insteada lettin ur fingers run wild. *sigh* We should all jus falcon paunch meta's outta the data in the game. Comooooooooon worldwide virus....

Neb

Smash Lord
I'd rather camp, and play defensively the entire match, less work...
But, playing totally aggro against Metaknight sounds dangerous, I believe he actually wants you to attack blindly so he can stuff your approaches. The transcendent properties on the majority of his moveset affords an aggressive game that's proven better than G&W's. Playing offensively will not allow you to analyze, or punish openings. I think a hybrid play of both defensive, and intelligent-offensive will do it.

70%- Defensive
30%- Offensive

cuz everyone knows the answer...*shakes head* lol. Btw the answer was.....GAME AND WATCH to that last question. jeebus. Whenever i play against mk's i can keep a decent pace of offense. But i know what u mean cuz i love to go all out speedy speedster jumping and running all over the place. The only thing is metaknight does that GOODER, FASTER, EASIER, with UBER PRIORITY. Not to mention his running speed is bs; i mean...is that faster then CAPTAIN FALCON?!?! So in the end its more efficient and effective landin hits when ur noggin's the one thinking about how to hit insteada lettin ur fingers run wild. *sigh* We should all jus falcon paunch meta's outta the data in the game. Comooooooooon worldwide virus....
Read this.

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
ohhhh noooooooooo. Well back to post. Why do you say 30% offense. I feel like its much easier to play the mindgames everyone loves oh so much when your on the offense. Well its impossible to rampage offense but the turtle AND dtilt does run down his nasty short hop attacks and give you breathing space. Also do u guys feel like the keys a defensive tool or offense? I feel like im using it 10x less when im playing against mk. Must be because his dsmash is broken along with his shuttle looperz

K 2

Smash Lord
MK's dsmash beats out all of your moves (and I think it ties with your jab, but it outprioritizes that). He can punish you for everything you do. He can just shield whatever you throw at him and then downsmash. It's definitely better to play defensive in this matchup.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So at low percentages on flat stages, I often find myself doing something like this:

shdair -> chase -> shdair -> chase -> shdair -> etc.

I've found it depends on character size, weight, and DI, but mostly it works well. Does anyone else do this? and if not, do you have any tips on playing on flat stages?

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
yea i find myself doin that too to keep my apm up. It helps prepare my fingers for any more fast action that metaknight might come with. but what i like more is keep them guessing so........*dash away, backflip jump towards them, fast fall, dash away again, backflip jump towards them, dair, dash away, etc.* Good to mix it all up wit dat nasty turtle. What i found works really well with that dash jumping stuff is right after u use dair; fsmash once or twice in a row. I find that the smash either hits ppl a lot cuz theyre trying to exploit the "lag" time after dair or it just plain says GTFO of my face b4 i wack you with my flaming sticksorz.

K 2

Smash Lord
hmm...I also found doing multiple smashes work really well. Obviously, you can't be predictable with this or you will be brutally punished, but it isn't a bad idea to throw in an extra smash following a missed smash. I did that once on a online match and the guy keeped on running into my tipper dsmash and my fsmash. They think they have time to punish the lag, but they are WRONG!!!

DavidZou

Smash Cadet
so apparently bair can stage spike at a certain point below the edge of the stage like on fd, smashville and battle field. Can someone confirm with me? Lets say kirby is recovering from below with his final cutter to snap the edge. Usually i just run straight off the edge and bair him into the stage outta habit from all the other chars i play. But usually the bair just lifts them nicely up onto the stage, but i did notice a couple times when it DID stage spike.

K 2

Smash Lord
I'm sure it can stage spike vertically recovering opponents if they don't have invincibilty frames or SA frames on their up b. I might try this out later.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was thinking about picking up G&W for doubles play (My team mate is a Zamus). Are there any specific strats for GnW? (Aside from having ZSS fill up his bucket with Dsmash)

Also, I guess in general, which characters should I be wary of?

Top Bottom