• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Chum on luck. Alright, I saw Hylian use the chair. Why did he do that, Isn't the manwhole longer and faster with less ending lag? an accident maybe?
It does more damage, and has a bit more knockback. He also could have been unstaleing a move, screwing around, or it could have been an accident.

There is a thread about comparing the two on the GaW boards, and you are right: the d-tilt is normally the better choice, and you will never get punished for choosing it over chair. (Unless they both would have been punished, of course).

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
What other safe approaches does Game and Watch has other than short hopped bair or full hop to falling bair? I find a forward facing nair from a shorthop makes you vulnerable from attacks under since no hitbox reaches there until the final hit of the attack and the key is easily shielded...

K 2

Smash Lord
G&W 's approach for ROB and IC is a well spaced bair; G&W doesn't have many options when it comes to approaching. His approach is rather simplistic, its telegraphed, but it works.

The best way to KO IC's is to separate them and gimp each on individually.

For ROB, there's nothing special in terms of getting the kill. Just use your usual tricks to get them to run into your usmash.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
What other safe approaches does Game and Watch has other than short hopped bair or full hop to falling bair? I find a forward facing nair from a shorthop makes you vulnerable from attacks under since no hitbox reaches there until the final hit of the attack and the key is easily shielded...
Forward facing nair just needs to be used better. Remember, if you are in a neutral situation you aren't losing. This is one tip that has made me a much better player. Just because you can approach doesn't mean you need to. If you are getting hit out of nair more often than not you need to use it differently. I find staying just out of the opponent's ideal range, and then punishing them for any move works better than constantly harassing their shield. Also, up-B out of nair makes it even safer, as well as doing a little more damage to the shield.

A full hop nair provides less pressure in the short term, but it is very safe. It also can be followed up with a dair, another FFed nair, or a well spaced bair on what is now the back of their shield.

Lastly, empty shorthops with your back to the opponent, landing into a grab or a smash is a great way to keep them guessing. Even if it didn't work once, spacing it correctly will keep you safe. (This applies to the smashes more than the grabs, a missed grab is often bad news.) Both of these are very safe on block, so it will give you more options, and make your opponent need to do more than just shield when he sees you are X distance away.

Also, try and aim your nairs and dairs to the back of the shield. This is generally safe, although some characters are stupid good out of shield and will punish you. Know the matchup

W/ G&W:
-What is the best way to approach and KO R.O.B.
-What is the best way to approach and KO IC?
The turtle is fairly safe on ROB's block.. his F-smash can cut through it, and his f-tilt probably can punish a badly spaced landing. Dair on the back of his shield is unsafe because of his dumb spotdodgedsmash hybrid move. ._. Nair is your best bet here. Nair hurts his shield a ton, and he is a huge target. A very large target. That has trouble making it back to the ground.

As for KOing, try to watch the player. ROB is very adaptable, you will need to learn how to beat the enemy rather than his character.. although your character wins by a fair margin here.

I have never played a good ICs, so IDK how to approach or anything... check out our matchup thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwEWDIfF28c

That is me VS Boom Cube, a very good ROB. I am a lot better than that video shows, as I am sure he is.. tiredness johns, laggy TV johns, etc etc. The first match you can watch for what I did as well as looking at mistakes; how did I get punished, how didn't I?

The second match was pretty good, I got lazy once the win was within site, don't do that.

The last match is kewl. Watch her.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
I didn't know if he had a standard grab. I've been looking around, and some chars (Bowser and DK) grab on frame 8-9. sorry about that

jog

Smash Journeyman
Is there an easier way to short hop than pressing lightly? My muscles are way too strong to be pressing lightly.
no :) unless you map your jump to the R button since it has more resistance than say X and Y or the tap jump. but even that doesn't solve the problem.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Is there an easier way to short hop than pressing lightly? My muscles are way too strong to be pressing lightly.
wow ... srsly wow

In Brawl I have problems doing fulljumps because shorthopping is so easy.
You should try to shorthop with Melee Fox or Melee Samus/Sheik/whatever...

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
I'll try an work on those puny muscles.
I just had an epiphany.
Do you guys use the c-stick to turtle when you guys are trying to use it for spacing??? I never thought to use it like that. i only used c-stick to turtle for when i'm knocked high in the air and i'm trying to get distance away and still want to turlte. Crap. typing that i realized that's what i'm doing while spacing the turtle. That is soo much easier than -> <- SH ->A <-. Ding dang i'm a noob.

The question still stands( mostly to the better poeple/ big name people) Do you guys use the c-stick to turtle and other air moves?

Psycho.Fx

Smash Rookie
bucket breaking is super useful, and im wondering if im doing it right..

hypothetically speaking, if i was hit with a smash attack to the right, would i FIRST DI left, let go, then Nair, then bucket? OR would i just spam A right after being smashed to bucket?

a simpler question, does normal DI during the period of hitstun help?

kinda a stupid question, but its been bugging me for awhile, and i always execute Fairs on accident when trying to bucket break lol..

Atria

Smash Journeyman
What are G&W's good and bad stages? I know there's a stage discussion thread but it's not 100% done yet. Some reasons why would be helpful too.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W is one of those characters where the question isn't usually what stage is good or bad for him, but what stage is worse for his opponent. Most small stages, G&W usually likes them for the fact he gets to KO people earlier, but large stages offer him a lot more room to Bucket Brake. Terrain is rarely ever a big deal for G&W.

FD is usually one of G&W's tougher stages to cope with generally speaking. It promotes camping, and there are no platforms to set up juggling.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
G&W is one of those characters where the question isn't usually what stage is good or bad for him, but what stage is worse for his opponent. Most small stages, G&W usually likes them for the fact he gets to KO people earlier, but large stages offer him a lot more room to Bucket Brake. Terrain is rarely ever a big deal for G&W.

FD is usually one of G&W's tougher stages to cope with generally speaking. It promotes camping, and there are no platforms to set up juggling.
Okay, I think that'll alter my question then.

So technically, G&W is pretty much an 'all rounder' character when it comes to selecting stages? Also, is FD G&W's worst neutral stage? IF FD is his worst neutral stage, what is his best neutral stage or does that depend on your opponent too? If that's the case, who + what stage should I watch out for in particular? I know that Diddy would probably destroy G&W on FD, but that's all I know. Also, what are some stages that G&W should select against a certain character to benefit him? I know of none. Overall however, are platforms good for G&W?

jog

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I think that'll alter my question then.

So technically, G&W is pretty much an 'all rounder' character when it comes to selecting stages? Also, is FD G&W's worst neutral stage? IF FD is his worst neutral stage, what is his best neutral stage or does that depend on your opponent too? If that's the case, who + what stage should I watch out for in particular? I know that Diddy would probably destroy G&W on FD, but that's all I know. Also, what are some stages that G&W should select against a certain character to benefit him? I know of none. Overall however, are platforms good for G&W?
smashville would also be a good neutral stage for diddy so i would ban that one against him along with FD. and as far as the neutral stages go for GW i like battlefield the best, because it has platforms he can nair through. IMO its just an over all good stage for GW maybe his best neutral. but really its personal preference. as far as his CP stages go: RC, corneria, and green greens are probably GW's best CP stages. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So technically, G&W is pretty much an 'all rounder' character when it comes to selecting stages? Also, is FD G&W's worst neutral stage?
Yeah. G&W doesn't have many gimmicks that rely on weird terrain. Thanks to amazing recovery, terrain is usually not difficult for him to navigate.

IF FD is his worst neutral stage, what is his best neutral stage or does that depend on your opponent too? If that's the case, who + what stage should I watch out for in particular? I know that Diddy would probably destroy G&W on FD, but that's all I know. Also, what are some stages that G&W should select against a certain character to benefit him? I know of none. Overall however, are platforms good for G&W?
G&W's best neutral is Battlefield. The one terrain dependent gimmick that G&W specializes in is juggling. I would go so far to say that G&W is the best juggler in the game.

Rainbow Cruise is a great stage for G&W because while the moving stage doesn't really bother him so much, it's a great hindrance to many characters that really need their ground game.

Corneria is the one stage where G&W legitimately outcamps everyone. He can Bucket the lasers on this stage for easy 1HKOs. once get fills up his Bucket, all he has to do is run up to someone, shield, and Bucket out of shield for an easy kill.

Frigate is another good stage for G&W, as some characters are really hurt by the fact the right side has no ledge, but G&W isn't one of them. I believe G&W's D-throw can do very weird things as the stage transforms, but I can't remember.

ImALemon

Smash Rookie
ok heres a kinda noob question. and if its been asked just ignore this cuz i didnt have time to read through all the question.

Ok so, is it a good idea to try and spike someone who is high enough recovering with Dair or should i just try other things like forward air?

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
I usually go for the fair, but if you do go for the spike, make sure you slow fall the key (just hit down again after you use the key) so you dont kill yourself as well. But fair seems more reliable to me just cause it is hard to land that spike cause it only happens in the begining frames of the attack.

gameandwatchmewin

Smash Cadet
bucket breaking is super useful, and im wondering if im doing it right..

hypothetically speaking, if i was hit with a smash attack to the right, would i FIRST DI left, let go, then Nair, then bucket? OR would i just spam A right after being smashed to bucket?

a simpler question, does normal DI during the period of hitstun help?

kinda a stupid question, but its been bugging me for awhile, and i always execute Fairs on accident when trying to bucket break lol..
Actually you would want to DI straight up if you were hit horizontally to the right. To DI you must put the control stick 90 degrees away from where you were hit. so if your hit -> that way the control stick should be ^. if your hit / the control stick should be \ or upand to the left.

Yes you would DI then Nair then bucket. DI does help.

(you pretty much have to DI before you get hit. if you do anything while your flying and before you Nair then it won't help. after hitstun/once you can Nair if you press towards the stage you will slow down a little, but thats when you bucket cancel.)

jog

Smash Journeyman
ok heres a kinda noob question. and if its been asked just ignore this cuz i didnt have time to read through all the question.

Ok so, is it a good idea to try and spike someone who is high enough recovering with Dair or should i just try other things like forward air?
landing a spike with GW isn't practical.

its very hard to accomplish, it only happens in the starting frames, and you have to do it perfect. i've never done it to a person nor have i ever seen anyone do it before. not i say i can't be done but its just hard for the set up to be just right. also you can kill yourself pretty easily in the process. spikes come in handy if your character has trouble killing but GW doesn't. and unless he has a godly spike like ness where you can kill at 0% then you really don't need to go for it unless its just easy to get. but to answer your question, go for the fair :bee:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Yea, the only time I spike is when I get edgehogged and all hope is lost. The chute stalls out long enough to make them lose their invincibilty frames...

I did it twice to the same guy in a doubles match.

Getting edgehogged as GaW shouldn't happen at all though.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Question: Does the trumpet cancel momentum? I had a match where I falcon punched snake at about 90% and froze midair when a G&W trumpeted him from below.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
So, are there technically like no bad stages which will hinder G&W's current abilities if played on? So, I just have to be wary of stage picking according to what character my opponent chooses then. Is that it?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Question: Does the trumpet cancel momentum? I had a match where I falcon punched snake at about 90% and froze midair when a G&W trumpeted him from below.
I was curious if this was known or not since in case it's a glitch or something.
Yea. It is known. Interesting thing to do for doubles, just make sure you don't save the enemy =]

So, are there technically like no bad stages which will hinder G&W's current abilities if played on? So, I just have to be wary of stage picking according to what character my opponent chooses then. Is that it?
Hinder, yes. Normally it hinders the opponent more though.

You are basically right in saying that GaW has no "one" counterpick to always go to, you should know your matchups.

Or pick a dumb level the TO left in, ie Green Greens.

Also, if Corneria is allowed then I would strongly suggest that.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Ah, thanks for the help with G&W's stages. I was much appreciated with the help guys! :)

Keen

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not really positive how to DI out of GaW's Dthrow to avoid the Dsmash. I can usually roll out of the way, but with certain characters I guess you cannot? Can somebody help me with this please?

ColinJF

Smash Ace
You need to tech the down throw. Mr. Game & Watch holds you slightly above the ground and then hits you into it (the attack is a meteor). Press a shield button (L or R) right before you hit the ground to tech. Be holding left or right when you do this to tech roll.

Keen

Smash Cadet
You need to tech the down throw. Mr. Game & Watch holds you slightly above the ground and then hits you into it (the attack is a meteor). Press a shield button (L or R) right before you hit the ground to tech. Be holding left or right when you do this to tech roll.
Thank you very much.

Is this a character specific thing? I've been able to just roll out of the way with certain characters.

K 2

Smash Lord
Sorta, Heavy characters can buffer a roll or tech to avoid the dsmash, while lighter characters MUST tech in order to avoid the dsmash.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
OBM's G&W Guide; Dthrow section said:
Mr. Escalator was able to find out when characters were able to escape the down throw to down smash combination. Any character can escape this combo by teching when they hit the ground to the left, right, or in place. This chart only shows when characters can roll away to avoid it.

Red Characters - you can't hit them with your down smash as they can hold left or right while being thrown to escape
Orange Characters - you can only hit them if they do a get up attack from the ground, they can buffer rolls to escape
Green Characters - these characters can buffer a roll to escape your down smash but if they try to time the roll, you will likely hit them
Blue Characters - even if they buffer a roll you can hit them before they move.

Heavy Characters:
Dedede
DK
Ganondorf
Ike
(is orange for the first throw)
Bowser
Snake
Charizard
Samus
Link
ROB

Medium Characters:
Lucario
Luigi
Ivysaur

Yoshi
Wario
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Mario
(60-70% he turns red)
Sonic

Light Characters:
Peach
Pit

Diddy Kong
Toon Link
(40-50% he turns red)
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Ness
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik

Very Light Characters:
Marth
Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Squirtle
Game and Watch
Jigglypuff

Notes about this list
* Any character can tech roll to avoid this combo
* Take note that the lighter characters are much easier to hit than the heavier characters
* Some characters change color depending on percents (as noted above)
Though, teching is what you want to do to avoid Usmash followups or regrabs.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
So my only training partner is a really good sheik, he can combo really well, but there is one that i cannot escape. he gets me in a ftilt lock and i found that it is easiest to up b out of it cause ur only in it for like 2 hits. I cancel the up b with nair, but he is still to fast with his uair and hits me with it 95% of the time, repeat the process a few times and you are hurting in damage. I ocasionaly escape, but i think it could possibly be timing on his part.

Any help on escaping this combo would be much appreciated.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Snip

Any help on escaping this combo would be much appreciated.
Learn to Smash DI (hitting the control stick the moment you get hit) away from ftilt. Repeatedly hitting the control stick each time you get hit, as opposed to just holding one direction, allows you to escape much faster.

Once you escape UpB sounds like a good option. From this point you have to mix it up. If you nair everytime then yes, you will get hit again. Does dair beat sheik's uair? Have you tried air-dodging?

If you can't find a reliable way to get out, then don't use upB. Try jumping if you have one. Or try Smash DI-ing a different direction (like down and behind sheik).

Top Bottom