• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Talco

Smash Rookie
In Marth vs Marth what attack hit first, Short hop fast fall fair or short hop fair?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
In Marth vs Marth what attack hit first, Short hop fast fall fair or short hop fair?
imo you would probably trade hits however your question is way too broad to be answered correctly. To say it in other words the one who would win is really dependent on the timing of when each of them does the move or when he starts FF'ing and whether or not the SH Fair guy does fair at the soonest possible moment or not and such and blah (get my point?) basically there are way too many uncertain variables to say who will definitely win in such a situation. Your best bet is too bait the other Marth into attacking you and then immediately strike back.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Yes? Although if we were talking about hypothetical IASA frames at 20 to attack that hits on frame 10, making up 30 frames, both your "questions" are kind of the same.

Pierce, should I scream this as I kill an opponent on the last stock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVCYOUB0gY

Skip to 0:16 if you want.
.... hehe... he said he's positive ...

ANYWAYS! quick question. whats the best way to DI out of Tornados and can some 1 clarify for me what the dif between DI and smash DI is? *gets an adrenanoob rush*
EDIT: oh, and how should i shield? shield tilted up?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I have a few question

Is Marth's back throw to dash attack a guaranteed combo?
Is short hop dolphin slash a safe approach?
How many forward smashes does it take to break a shield?

Thanks guys! I'm sorta new to the Marth boards ^_^

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
1. It is a zero to death combo.

2. There is no way of punishing this; it has been banned from all tournaments.

3. Zero, if you hold your opponent's shield button.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
.... hehe... he said he's positive ...

ANYWAYS! quick question. whats the best way to DI out of Tornados and can some 1 clarify for me what the dif between DI and smash DI is? *gets an adrenanoob rush*
EDIT: oh, and how should i shield? shield tilted up?
Some say to not DI at all others say DI towards the center and jump whatever works for you because I still don't know how to either.

Smash DI, you are able to move your position by tilting the control stick while in hit lag this is what allows you to get out of Smart bombs and the cannon on Halberd.

DI is just tilting a direction and influencing your trajectory after you are hit by a move.

Shield what? The tornado? For the tornado tilt it up.

what is the Ken M2k thing I've heard about in other threads? it sounds epic,
Oh yeah about that. To answer your question "what is the Ken M2k thing that you've heard about in other threads?" It is the most epic **** you will find ever on these boards, that's all. To find it please use the search button and you will be able to witness epicness. XD suffer in suspense n00bs :p

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yes it is Viet.

And idk but I could link the thread with M2K and Ken in it, but if you guys really want to see it then I guess I can link it. Of course this means you have to beg, give me your social security numbers, deposit your life savings into bank account #1337 and give me both your first borns. Mwhahahahahaahahaha!!! :p

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yes it is Viet.

And idk but I could link the thread with M2K and Ken in it, but if you guys really want to see it then I guess I can link it. Of course this means you have to beg, give me your social security numbers, deposit your life savings into bank account #1337 and give me both your first borns. Mwhahahahahaahahaha!!! :p

352-817-901

There....

I'm lying
If this actually is my Social Security Number, I'm going to Mexico.

3xSwords

Smash Lord

illinialex24

Smash Hero
lol illin I'm talking about the two that asked.

Anyway I'll just put these up here:
Real: M2K vs Ken (People call it a flame war between the two, you decide)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153922&highlight=ken&page=1

Fake: M2K vs Ken ( most epic **** you will ever find and lulz at any who were like "these guys are stupid")
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190609&highlight=ken&page=1

Both are closed for obvious reasons, please read for entertainment.
Nice, that is hilarious. So is this, posted 5 minutes ago:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210545

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
lol illin I'm talking about the two that asked.

Anyway I'll just put these up here:
Real: M2K vs Ken (People call it a flame war between the two, you decide)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153922&highlight=ken&page=1

Fake: M2K vs Ken ( most epic **** you will ever find and lulz at any who were like "these guys are stupid")
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190609&highlight=ken&page=1

Both are closed for obvious reasons, please read for entertainment.
I remember the false one, that was silly.

Coda

Smash Cadet
haha...

that's not his question...

it's either or...

nope. Fear is right... if you time it right sliding perfect shield is the greatest! momentum plus penetration.

But if you can't time it... just sliding shield... or walk Pshield. Iono... Pshield is always best... but as long as you don't get hit cuz your shield saved you it's a good day to be marth.

Hilary

Smash Cadet
This might be more of a AT question, but how far should a shield slide work and how far should marth's throw reach when he does it?

I'd read that the jump-cancelled sliding grabs from melee were gone, but that the shield sliding grabs are supposed to be a suitable replacement. I'm either doing it wrong or it's not nearly as effective. In melee, I could cover a ridiculous amount of space with JCG. In brawl, I might get an extra few steps at best.

Any tips for guaging/practicing marth's shield slide grab?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
If you want to find out how far the grab and slide work....well my advice is just go and find out yourself because that kinda stuff is hard to explain with simply words. You'll understand it better if you just go play.

And yes jump canceled grabs are gone...but sliding and dash canceled grabs are replacements basically. Dash canceled grab you do basically the same way...dash attack and grab about the same time.

Practicing sliding grab? Just go into training mode and figure out the distance really =\

Ulevo

Smash Master
This might be more of a AT question, but how far should a shield slide work and how far should marth's throw reach when he does it?

I'd read that the jump-cancelled sliding grabs from melee were gone, but that the shield sliding grabs are supposed to be a suitable replacement. I'm either doing it wrong or it's not nearly as effective. In melee, I could cover a ridiculous amount of space with JCG. In brawl, I might get an extra few steps at best.

Any tips for guaging/practicing marth's shield slide grab?
The best way for you to feel comfortable with your grab range is simply to practice it out. If you're looking for increased grab range, there are two methods to help you. The first is one you already mentioned; to always use a standing grab, even out of a dash, which would require you to cancel your run with a shield and shield grab. That's one method.

The other method is to use your pivot grab. It has very long reach for its animation and is rather deceptive, although its uses are limited in contrast. It is still very useful depending on the circumstance, especially upon retreat.

Grabs are not as essential as they were in Melee though, as you can rarely ever take a stock off an opponent through a single grab anymore with the lack of effective combos. For Marth, Uthrow and Dthrow are usually best on most characters, while Fthrow CG's at low percents and can lead into an FSmash or Dair spike combo. The Spike can kill most characters, and Dthrow can also lead to an FSmash. The window to execute these combos ranges from 0% to 5%, so a grab needs to be landed early. If you wish to look at a list, refer to the guide I've posted. It should be around somewhere.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Which has more KNOCKBACK, fully charged tippered fsmash or fully charged (super?) tippered shieldbreaker?

Shieldbreaker has 3 hitboxes right? Untipped, tipped, and the exact tip?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Which has more KNOCKBACK, fully charged tippered fsmash or fully charged (super?) tippered shieldbreaker?

Shieldbreaker has 3 hitboxes right? Untipped, tipped, and the exact tip?
Shieldbreaker has more knockback then fsmash when charged.

legion598

Smash Ace
so im trying to incorporate Dtilt more into my game cuz its such a great move but cant seem to find the right times to do it. Right now the only times i use it is after a fastfalled f-air and to poke shields but it seems like the Dtilt is quite shield grabable when compared to a properly space f-air. So when are the best times to use this?

J4pu

Smash Champion
do grab attacks slowly
if you do them too quickly the game reads them as 1 consecutive attack.

there could be something better but that's the best I know of for Marth.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
so im trying to incorporate Dtilt more into my game cuz its such a great move but cant seem to find the right times to do it. Right now the only times i use it is after a fastfalled f-air and to poke shields but it seems like the Dtilt is quite shield grabable when compared to a properly space f-air. So when are the best times to use this?
Use it to outspace your opponent. If you want a quick way to begin to incorporate into your game, use it approach and trap them.
Also dtilt is NOT shield grabbable. It's range is MUCH further than any character's grabs, and any character that can still grab you will be hit if you throw out a second one because it IASA cancels into itself. =b

What is the fastest way to refresh all of marth's moves? thanks if someone answer this
D
a
n
c
i
n
g
B l a d e s

2 DB's and one of any move = completely refreshed minus DB's
And ya, like J4 said, pummeling helps a lot as well

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
You can approach with D-tilt... walk -> dilt is amazing for zoning lol
I remember once on Corneria, right above where the slant starts on the right side, I crouched and camped entirely with dtilt versus a friend. Approach from front, dtilt. Approach from air, dtilt because I had height advantage. Approach from behind/crossup, bthrow to dtilt.

If you hit your opponent with an FF fair on approach, you can definitely use dtilt afterwards to poke them as part of your approach. If you land the dtilt in the middle of the sword, follow up once more with dancing blade.

Coda

Smash Cadet
Yo, is there IASA frames on Falling Fairs?

Fair -> Dtilt sometimes works lag less and other times it feels slower

Also SH or FH -> FF -> Dtilt; how come sometimes there is sometimes lag and sometimes not... like

sometimes there is a "hard landing" where dust accumulates and so forth... and other times I continue to the dtilt lagless...

Falco death combo... practice on CPU? Okay? Or is it also DI able?

illinialex24

Smash Hero

Also SH or FH -> FF -> Dtilt; how come sometimes there is sometimes lag and sometimes not... like

sometimes there is a "hard landing" where dust accumulates and so forth... and other times I continue to the dtilt lagless...

No testing on a CPU is going to be accepted.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I may have come across a good way of seting up for a Dair spike

Dtilt near the ledge, and when you hit the opponent (non tipped) and you buffer turnaround SH Dair it will be a tippered Dair 90% of the time :D

is this known? is this usefull?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I want to ask a couple questions while Marth is retreating:

1. Ken Combo: Yes/No? I find it useful for discouraging pursuers.
2. F-air to Dancing Blade: Yes/No? I would also find it useful for discouraging pursuers, except Dancing Blade has more lag than I like.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I may have come across a good way of seting up for a Dair spike

Dtilt near the ledge, and when you hit the opponent (non tipped) and you buffer turnaround SH Dair it will be a tippered Dair 90% of the time :D

is this known? is this usefull?
This is really dependent on %'s however I really double if this will hit or not. I'll go to the old "vids or it didn't happen" :p (Seriously post a vid, this could be useful)

No there isn't. The reason for when sometimes there is lag and sometimes there isn't is because of the AutoCancel frames of the fair. The AC frames are actual really close to the frame that the fair actually ends (from previous experiences) and as such it is very easy to get landing lag when you thought you AC'd it. Anyway dunno the exact frame data but I believe I am mostly correct on that one.

Falco death combo just go to training mode and practice on a Falco and always reset to 0%. At that % they can't DI so it doesn't make a difference.

I want to ask a couple questions while Marth is retreating:

1. Ken Combo: Yes/No? I find it useful for discouraging pursuers.
2. F-air to Dancing Blade: Yes/No? I would also find it useful for discouraging pursuers, except Dancing Blade has more lag than I like.
1. What? It doesn't make sense. You are going to retreat double fair and dair? lol maybe you should get your terms right, but no, Ken Combo should not be used for retreating. What I think, you're saying is if you should use fair while you retreat and the answer is yes.

2. No don't, just fair. If it lands then follow up with DB otherwise don't use DB to retreat at all. DB is a great move by all means but 99% of the time it should only be used for punishing. That 1% is like a fake out approach where you anticipated a reaction that could be punished by DB.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I know that DB resets the stale moves, but do I have to hit someone with it or can I just execute the move and reset my attacks.

Also, do I have to do the whole four combo to have everything reset or is it just the first strike?

Top Bottom