• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I know that DB resets the stale moves, but do I have to hit someone with it or can I just execute the move and reset my attacks.

Also, do I have to do the whole four combo to have everything reset or is it just the first strike?
1. You must hit someone for it to "unstale" your other moves.

2. Each hit counts as an individual move on the stale list. Do all four and four moves become less stale from the list of 9.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
1. You must hit someone for it to "unstale" your other moves.

2. Each hit counts as an individual move on the stale list. Do all four and four moves become less stale from the list of 9.
Is it random on which move gets unstaled or does it have a definite pattern?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
It goes in the order of the moves you used, its just a scrolling list. Think of a text box that can only hold 9 moves. When you enter the 10th move, the 1st one dissapears. The next move entered removes the 2nd, and so on and so forth.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
It goes in the order of the moves you used, its just a scrolling list. Think of a text box that can only hold 9 moves. When you enter the 10th move, the 1st one dissapears. The next move entered removes the 2nd, and so on and so forth.
Yeah, and they are staled differently. Your normal unstaled move has a power of 1.05 times training.

A staled move in position 1 has .91 times the power of training, spot two is .92 times and so forth. The spots add up so if you have a move in position 3 and 1 you have

1- (.09+.07) or .84 times the normal power.

Knockback is more complicated.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Um, you need either one full DB ending in DDB4, or two full DB combos that dont end in DDB4. You must land every hit to get the full moveset refreshed (except for that version of dancing blade u last used).
Are you sure about that? I think it doesn't matter whether you use DDB4 or not it all counts as 4 hits.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Can you guys not spread what is firmly a big load of crap?

One instance of dancing blade, NO MATTER HOW MANY STRIKES OF IT YOU DO is considered ONE MOVE in it's entirety.

In other words, doing dancing blade one strike hitting then stopping, then starting again and doing the full one will decrease the ENTIRE DAMAGE OF DANCING BLADE NOT JUST THE FIRST HIT.

VietGeek I want to slap you!

Want proof?
First strike of dancing blade dummy 2 times (normal range), damage of the first strike will go from 3% to 2%. A normal full fresh dancing blade does 13%. Now after the first strike of dancing blade has been used MAGICALLY I GUESS COZ ALL DANCING BLADE CONSISTS OF 4 INDIVIDUAL MOVES IN THE LIST the damage goes from 13% to 9%. LULZ LULZ LULZ.

*bashes VietGeek with a MEtAL ROD*

Seriously, I've spotted you guys spreading this crap so many times ;_; Don't let me catch any of you doing it again.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Can you guys not spread what is firmly a big load of crap?

One instance of dancing blade, NO MATTER HOW MANY STRIKES OF IT YOU DO is considered ONE MOVE in it's entirety.

In other words, doing dancing blade one strike hitting then stopping, then starting again and doing the full one will decrease the ENTIRE DAMAGE OF DANCING BLADE NOT JUST THE FIRST HIT.

VietGeek I want to slap you!

Want proof?
First strike of dancing blade dummy 2 times (normal range), damage of the first strike will go from 3% to 2%. A normal full fresh dancing blade does 13%. Now after the first strike of dancing blade has been used MAGICALLY I GUESS COZ ALL DANCING BLADE CONSISTS OF 4 INDIVIDUAL MOVES IN THE LIST the damage goes from 13% to 9%. LULZ LULZ LULZ.

*bashes VietGeek with a MEtAL ROD*

Seriously, I've spotted you guys spreading this crap so many times ;_; Don't let me catch any of you doing it again.
So for diminishing returns, dancing blade counts as one move on the list of nine, even when you do all four hits?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You know what, I feel like a fool. Dancing Blade sucks and Sakurai sucks.

Each strike of dancing blade that hits (The 4th down one is considered just one) is considered an individual hit in the decay list. Problem is is that all of the hits are DANCING BLADE, not like DANCING BLADE STRIKE ONE, STRIKE TWO, etc.

So if you hit someone with the first strike of dancing blade only like 5 times, when you do a full one it will be completely diminished and you'll end up with 9 occurances of dancing blade in your decay list. ****.

*hits self with metal rod*

Sorry Viet and guys ;_;

----------------------------

Up Smash has a tipper hit box. The sound it makes when hitting is the same whether it is a tipper not. A TIPPER Up smash can do LESS damage than a non-tippered up smash.

A proper tipper up smash will kill Meta at like 100% and do like 17%, while one where you just hit them normally could do 21% and not kill meta until 120%.

-Red-

Smash Cadet
So dancing blade is the most busted move to reset your other stale moves?

-Red-

Smash Cadet
At what percent will a fresh Fair kill a Metaknight?

An average is fine =), I just want to know when my grab is a guaranteed stock.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth's attacks on Metaknight:

Attack/Dmg/Kill Percent
Forward-Air (tipper) 13% 121%

* Middle of Final Destination, Fresh, No DI.

On the other hand

Neutral-Air (tipper) FINAL HIT 12% 88% 118%

Learn to tipper your nair after a grab release. the 118% is middle of final destination even with good DI.

Refer: http://www.theintensity.com/wiki/doku.php?id=marth:metaknight

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
If i get hit by Metaknight up B, which way do I DI? I always lose a stock when MK up b hits me with it? plus if i get hit by snake Ftilt where should i DI as well? same goes for snake up smash as well thanks

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
If i get hit by Metaknight up B, which way do I DI? I always lose a stock when MK up b hits me with it? plus if i get hit by snake Ftilt where should i DI as well? same goes for snake up smash as well thanks
For MK's Up B, it's really simple. Just DI towards the stage and up like you should anyways, you just have to be REALLY quick with it. You should probably DI away from Snake if he's hitting you with stuff to avoid getting hit by more stuff, but you should be shielding Ftilts and punishing his ***.

That being said, what's the best option after shielding a Snake's well spaced ftilt?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dtilt.
or
Shieldbreaker for the lulz: IF it's well spaced you'll most likely be pushed quite a distance, shieldbreaker should cover it.
or
dash shield grab
or
fsmash (Ankoku)
or
Dancing blade (yay)

Dtilts pretty good and safe, if the ftilt has pushed you outside of your range you'll be outside of his, you have nice breathing room to react to his following actions.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
If he did the second hit well spaced then imo best options is either shield drop > DB or JC fair. If it's just first hit then you can risk it with JC fair.

-Red-

Smash Cadet
Marth's attacks on Metaknight:

Attack/Dmg/Kill Percent
Forward-Air (tipper) 13% 121%

* Middle of Final Destination, Fresh, No DI.

On the other hand

Neutral-Air (tipper) FINAL HIT 12% 88% 118%

Learn to tipper your nair after a grab release. the 118% is middle of final destination even with good DI.

Refer: http://www.theintensity.com/wiki/doku.php?id=marth:metaknight
Wow thank you for that link, =D

Is the Nair guaranteed after a grab release?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You can nair after grab release?

Seriously, I've tried to for like...whenever we found out about grab release and could never get it to work.

I. Must. Really. Suck.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yeah lol I made it happen. So put me on your jealousy tier list now? ;)

Dude I'm pretty sure you were still in MBR when I posted that **** though. Oh wellz...

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
That being said, what's the best option after shielding a Snake's well spaced ftilt?
I think it really depends on how far away you are. Also are we talking about the first hit or the second?

If it's the first, then you are probably close enough to Dtilt, Dolphin Slash, or Dancing Blade. (These will be fast enough to prevent being hit by the second ftilt.)

If we are talking about the second, then it really depends on the distance. Twice, I have used counter on his second ftilt (while still being nowhere close to the animation) and have countered (which has a very long range, probably a little longer than ftilt, and a little shorter than shield breaker) without hitting him. So maybe an ftilt or a running u-smash might work.

Speaking of countering and not hitting, would countering Snake's ftilt without hitting him put a stun jacket on him? Or does it only work for wind based attacks?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yeah lol I made it happen. So put me on your jealousy tier list now? ;)

Dude I'm pretty sure you were still in MBR when I posted that **** though. Oh wellz...
Seriously though...how do you do it? o_O

Like he falls too low for tipper Nair to hit him before he can like do something. Fair works because it swings low.

TEACH MEH MASTAR. I R NEWB.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I think it really depends on how far away you are. Also are we talking about the first hit or the second?

If it's the first, then you are probably close enough to Dtilt, Dolphin Slash, or Dancing Blade. (These will be fast enough to prevent being hit by the second ftilt.)

If we are talking about the second, then it really depends on the distance. Twice, I have used counter on his second ftilt (while still being nowhere close to the animation) and have countered (which has a very long range, probably a little longer than ftilt, and a little shorter than shield breaker) without hitting him. So maybe an ftilt or a running u-smash might work.

Speaking of countering and not hitting, would countering Snake's ftilt without hitting him put a stun jacket on him? Or does it only work for wind based attacks?
If you are trying to punish him for only the first hit of ftilt you are just better off waiting for the second hit.

And I honestly don't know if stun jacket is employed with Snake's ftilt. Stun Jacket is not limited to only wind based attacks, for example I believe ZSS's d-smash does cause stun jacket, so try it out man.

Seriously though...how do you do it? o_O

Like he falls too low for tipper Nair to hit him before he can like do something. Fair works because it swings low.

TEACH MEH MASTAR. I R NEWB.
Well first master being able to buffer out of grab release animation. After doing so buffer a dash and do a rising SH nair just a tiny bit after the place you would do a fair to hit MK. The most important part is doing a rising SH nair otherwise it'll be to slow IIRC. After that it's all just what you can do.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Lol I can't do it. I've been trying for like...

half an hour. In Brawl.

I'm a failure.

I quit.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
lol Viet why give up so soon? Dunno if this will help but when I was trying to do this on a consistent basis in the beginning, it felt as though I was doing it later than I should be doing it. Probably won't help you but whatever.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
So I at least got Nair to work...twice after I said I quit. <_<

Seriously this **** is annoying. I doubt I'd ever be able to do this in tourney consistently. ._.

*continues tedious task*

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Okay...I did it. 4 times in a row.

I...I can do it.

I don't care that I double posted.

I ****ing did it. Yeah. Really. YESH!
YES!!!!!

Coda

Smash Cadet
What do you practice on? at what percent? and Is it really gauranteed? So can I practice on CPU's like I did with Falco's death combo?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
what is the most effective way to boost Usmash?
i can not do it.
and it sux.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
what is the most effective way to boost Usmash?
i can not do it.
and it sux.
Are you trying to boost usmash or running usmash? I'll assume you really mean boost, but it's hard to do and not that helpful with Marth. You can either do it the regular way, or a way I found out by running, then pressing up, whatever button you shield with, and I think down on the cstick

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dash Attack's best, and probably only practical use is surprise attack on the edge after a ledge jump (by the opponent). Supposibly you can combo a tipper one out of a air release on meta and them, but there's a billion better options.

-

Are you talking about release grab to tippered nair? Try figuring it out in training mode. While not conclusive of being a real combo, if you are able to do grab release to nair (pummel at least once) and it shows it as 3 consecutive hits you're getting -good- at the timing. Repeat: Aerial grab releases all count as combos if the opponent hasn't touched the ground (so even if they jump), so only trust it at a basic level.

-

Boost upsmash? Do you mean like dash attack cancel? I don't think Marth can do it... I'm pretty sure he can't that is...

Top Bottom