• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
He can, Shaya. The original way you don't slide very far and you have to imput it really quick and precise, my way I found you basically do a sliding usmash that instead of coming out and the end of the slide, just start chargin ya up smash

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
At what percents should i grab release to tippered nair to kill a metaknight when i realize my dolphin slash is stale as 3 week old bread?

I dont think marth can DACUS, and if he can, i really dont think its worth it, like it is for, say, falcos.

Vietgeek you suck at brawl, stop trying to grab release to nair, youll never figure it out (/sarcasm)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Aerial Grab Releases have 50 frames of hitstun that cannot be DI'd out of.

metaknight touches the ground shortly after 50 frames, so while he is still in the air, if you do something to him it is -almost- guaranteed.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Dash attack is primarily used to hit an opponent who is waiting until you get close enough to actually hit them with something not Dash attack. It's also a decent move to follow up an aerial if thrown quickly enough.

Me and Neo use it. It's all about the mindgames son.

Also, Dancing Blade stales once for EACH slash of Dancing Blade.

Essentially, you can get AWESOME knockback on ANY Dancing Blade 4, if you happen to connect with it and miss the first two or three. The most common application I have for this is attack a shielding opponent near an edge with it. The first three slices will push them off, causing them to stumble and their shield drops. From here, the last slice or two will hit them much farther, and often K.O.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
At what percents should i grab release to tippered nair to kill a metaknight when i realize my dolphin slash is stale as 3 week old bread?

I dont think marth can DACUS, and if he can, i really dont think its worth it, like it is for, say, falcos.

Vietgeek you suck at brawl, stop trying to grab release to nair, youll never figure it out (/sarcasm)
You know you added the /sarcasm tag because you just don't want to get flamed lol. You & I both know how sincerely truthful that statement is.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Okay, so now is my big question.

So people generally agree human reaction averages around 12 frames. So say you're in a tourney. You grabbed MK. He's at 100% percent, near the ledge, but not so much that you can't do a grab release set-up.

How fast he gets out is variable, meaning up to the MK user himself. He can get out really fast, or really slow, you don't know exactly. Fair, dash attack (lol it's easier to buffer a dash for the tipper one than this Nair thing) or Dolphin Slash, which if he doesn't DI, he will die, are all things you can still do within human reaction while MK is helpless. Buffering a dash from grab is difficult since doing it too early would mean a Fthrow. Which creates this problem.

From the initial release frames, which is like 6 or 7 frames, you must immediately buffer and hold a dash, then rising Nair. That's almost a half of what average human reaction can do.

Furthermore, I've never been able to consistently tipper the last hit. I've found that the first hit naturally tippers, but even if you DI back as you nair, the second one usually does not. If you do succeed doing this in the heat of battle, I would be amazed, furthermore if it was tippered.

So...is this even any good in application, or simply the theorycrafting we Marths love?

It does look sexy though, I'll give Shaya, Ulevo, and co. that much. ._.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Wow even your logic sucks.

There's no reason you can't react and buffer when you release MK. 12 frames is a GUESS for when you can react to something that you COMPLETELY DO NOT EXPECT. So for example if you are ready for Marth to fsmash you, you might sneak in a power shield since you are telling yourself to be alert.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Wow even your logic sucks.

There's no reason you can't react and buffer when you release MK. 12 frames is a GUESS for when you can react to something that you COMPLETELY DO NOT EXPECT. So for example if you are ready for Marth to fsmash you, you might sneak in a power shield since you are telling yourself to be alert.
Seems reasonable.

So I guess I won't be trying this out anytime soon. Practice, practice, practice...but for what?

I should stop trying to play Marth period.

Ugh, but that Sheik guide is such a wall of text.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Seems reasonable.

So I guess I won't be trying this out anytime soon. Practice, practice, practice...but for what?

I should stop trying to play Marth period.

Ugh, but that Sheik guide is such a wall of text.
Play MK you don't need a guide. And your TL is amazing, use him if you're dropping Marth.

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
Why wouldn't you just do a Fair? Tipped Fair off stage with MK at 100% might kill (I'm not positive but it's close to kill range).

KeybladeMarth

Smash Cadet
Can anyone give a link to a list of grab releases?
Search isn't working on my slow computer
EDIT: Nevermind, I found one

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Why wouldn't you just do a Fair? Tipped Fair off stage with MK at 100% might kill (I'm not positive but it's close to kill range).
Tippered nair can kill 30% earlier.

ty.

thir
ty
par
cent
o

The difference in power between Nair tipper and fair tipper is quite large. It's Marth's 4th strongest move in terms of launch speed, while his fair is 13th.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It's very punishable and can be just grabbed. I also would think that it'd be easy for people with good spikes to hit you during cooldown lag. People could just wait it out then punish, so I wouldn't suggest that.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
That's up to you to find out.

I mean geesh, this is the same guy that can't do grab release to nair and thinks it's normal for him to have 12 frame reaction time.

Learn to analyze failures in society better plz.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
*answers for vietgeek*
Good (gud-duh) adj. - 1. word used to describe something viet will never be with marth 2. a level of marthness that is unattainable by those with an emo disposition 3. something tournaments held by college students are not

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
How often do you use tippered fsmash on platforms? I know it's very unsafe and difficult to hit with, but the knockback is just too good to pass up sometimes.

Is ledgedrop instant fair punishable? How often do you guys use it?

Coda

Smash Cadet
So... I did tippered Nair on my first try... and then have failed to the thousandth time...

Is VG right? I have 12 frames to time it?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No no, VG was just considering the idea that you lose 12 frames from the '50' because of the unpredictability of MK's release. 12 frames being some natural human rate of response to action. Reducing those 12 frames gives you lots of sexy time to do things.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
How often do you use tippered fsmash on platforms? I know it's very unsafe and difficult to hit with, but the knockback is just too good to pass up sometimes.

Is ledgedrop instant fair punishable? How often do you guys use it?
I go for it sometimes; it's not expected a lot of the time, and if they shield it by the edges they fall off a good amount of the time.

Ledgedrop instant fair is awesome IMO. I use it a lot.

DJMirror

Smash Master
hey if i get hit by Dedede up tilt, Do i DI left and against it? and for Dedede dthrow..can i just up b it? or will he still be able to grab me? thanks

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you're in this situation:

YOU HIM

And he utilts you, you'd DI left.

IF IT WAS
HIM YOU

you'd DI right.

You can Up b out of D3's dthrow, but if he predicts it he can own you with an fsmash...

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
You can't up b out, the safest method is to simply walk away. If he messes up you are free to punish his lag from the missed grab.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
If you're in this situation:

YOU HIM

And he utilts you, you'd DI left.

IF IT WAS
HIM YOU

you'd DI right.

You can Up b out of D3's dthrow, but if he predicts it he can own you with an fsmash...
I stared at those sentences for like 2 minutes trying to make sense of them.

DI away from DDD, toward the side of him you were on.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You can't up b out, the safest method is to simply walk away. If he messes up you are free to punish his lag from the missed grab.
This. Of course, be cautious of mindgames, because a D3 that knows what you're doing will simply run a little farther to grab you. Course, if he does that, you can just UpB him. Mix it up.

DJMirror

Smash Master
ahh i see ok thanks..so for ike's fsmash, ftilt dsmash, and upsmash which way do i DI? so to ask alot about DIing because i have no idea it's that good to skill to learn but thanks to everyone for telling how to DI here and there of the attacks

Hype

Smash Lord
By DIing perpendicular to the direction to you get hit, you will change the direction you get hit the most. you want change your direction so you get knocked into the top-right or top-left corner of the screen.

basically if you get hit horizontally you DI up, if you get hit up you left or right.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
ahh i see ok thanks..so for ike's fsmash, ftilt dsmash, and upsmash which way do i DI? so to ask alot about DIing because i have no idea it's that good to skill to learn but thanks to everyone for telling how to DI here and there of the attacks
You really shouldn't be getting hit by any of those moves tbqh. With DI, just do it perpendicular to the way you are hit, that's what I do and it works fine.

DJMirror

Smash Master
You really shouldn't be getting hit by any of those moves tbqh. With DI, just do it perpendicular to the way you are hit, that's what I do and it works fine.
i know lol i'm a noob in brawl/melee so i'm like ahhh what do i?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
i know lol i'm a noob in brawl/melee so i'm like ahhh what do i?
It's OK. Like I said, DI perpendicular to they direction you are hit, and if you are hit in a diagonal direction, go with the diagonal if you understand this. I'll try to draw it here.

.......2.Then DI in this direction: --------->
...................................................../
..................................................../
.................................................../
................................................../
................................................/
.............................................../
..............1.If you are hit like this:../

I hope this works now, last time it got messed up.

I hope this bad drawing helps understand my second tip.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I made a video on how rest can interrupt a lot of moves because of the insanely low hitstun, and many others pointed out this should work for Marth and Wolf as well, so if you want to see just a basic video showing a few applications of this (it was meant to get interest for the technique, not to be an exhaustive list), watch here and realize Marth should be able to Dolphin Slash out of many situations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQSEhawLRuE&fmt=6

Top Bottom