• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

∫unk

Smash Master
almost every character has the ability to beat marth... especially if you're playing a relatively unused character like zelda/sheik because marth's gameplay relies on experience more than other characters

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
almost every character has the ability to beat marth... especially if you're playing a relatively unused character like zelda/sheik because marth's gameplay relies on experience more than other characters
Relying on well spaced fair retreating tactics does well against most of the cast, it's the best thing to go for in relatively unknown matchups...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I almost went for it.. but didn't want another infraction >_>

And Shaya... just doing fairs at tipper range isn't necessarily safe or effective.
Any character that can counter it will is generally high/top tier. People who do the tournament shindig thing would generally have reasonable experience against most high/top tiers.

Also "just doing" is of course an overstatement. But in an unknown matchup the best thing you have is to just space...

∫unk

Smash Master
No Shaya at a socal tourney if Marth doesn't have experience he gets butt****ed pretty hard cause they'll have experience against you (it doesn't help that we have Haze Bardull BoA Havok and maybe me).

Every character has the ability to punish a retreating spaced f-air by gaining stage control and making you pay for it in the upcoming sequence.

Gone are the days where you could just space and win matches.

This isn't just Marth it's for other chars too but more extreme for Marth.

Especially the past month there's been so many upsets part of it is this reason.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No Shaya at a socal tourney if Marth doesn't have experience he gets butt****ed pretty hard cause they'll have experience against you (it doesn't help that we have Haze Bardull BoA Havok and maybe me).

Every character has the ability to punish a retreating spaced f-air by gaining stage control and making you pay for it in the upcoming sequence.

Gone are the days where you could just space and win matches.

This isn't just Marth it's for other chars too but more extreme for Marth.

Especially the past month there's been so many upsets part of it is this reason.
No kidding.

Question: What are good options out of third down hit of DB? I've used Shielded DS for finish if they come too close, but I want to know what else could benefit from the spacing of it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Just wondering if this was previously discovered:

Yeah, I know Sonic doesn't matter since it's already a 65-35 match-up, but this is pretty useful when facing him.

Turns out dtilt clanks with dash attack, spindash, and spinshot.

It also generally leaves him in perfect range for a tippered up-b, doubt it's a true combo, but I'm current;y testing, it might be useful if so.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I believe its general strategy to use dtilt (Overswarm's wise words) to disrupt a lot of Sonic's approaches. The options out of those are perhaps natural, but something 'comboworthy' is interesting (and I'm pretty sure was not mentioned... may be wrong).

Scott!

Smash Lord
Under your post is an edit button you can use to alter your post. Like in your case above, instead of posting repeatedly to get your sig out, you could just go into edit mode, turn on your sig, and have just one post. It's helpful because double posting is pretty much frowned upon on the boards.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Alright, i will answer your question jayboi but you must do 2 things for me in return. First, give people time to reply to your posts and use the edit button to add things to your post. Second, use the Q&A thread for any further questions.

Ok, for spiking. Easiest way to spike is to turn your back to your opponent and hit with the tip of the sword at any point of the down air swing. Spiking people from the side is sometimes easier than spiking from bottom of the attack.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Question: What are good options out of third down hit of DB? I've used Shielded DS for finish if they come too close, but I want to know what else could benefit from the spacing of it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I believe its general strategy to use dtilt (Overswarm's wise words) to disrupt a lot of Sonic's approaches. The options out of those are perhaps natural, but something 'comboworthy' is interesting (and I'm pretty sure was not mentioned... may be wrong).
Looks like he's got a long clank animation, and even when the sonic I play with tries to shield, he gets caught by the up-b.

Granted, I may be looking at slightly the wrong option, and when frame-perfect the answer is f-b or grab, but the more I test it, the more it looks like there's concrete frame advantage, which is a lot more useful then the neutral state.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Its really distorted, nice try though. And this is more towards Marth-esque, related things.

I have one, what should I do to make my timeline better, other then colors?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I think I learned a bad habit, sometimes when edgeguarding, I'd do two jabs and a DTilt, how serious is it doc?
Jabs are dumb, D-tilting can be smart imo. Although Steel might not agree. I found depending on the opponent, you should go for an aggressive gimp (fairs or bair to fair or spike) or a passive gimp, or decide which 1 works best in the situation. Like a Ganondorf coming from below is best dealt with by a D-tilt, but coming in he has no options for a fair. Ganondorf shouldn't make it back to the stage if you don't screw up.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Is it better to be aggressive or defensive against a Falco?
Refer to the Match-Up index, it gives a general overview. However be slightly aggresive, and learn to powershield his laser. He is fairly easy to gimp so Two fairs of the stage can do the trick.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Is it better to be aggressive or defensive against a Falco?
Depends. You can rock his recovery if you know what to do onstage or offstage. D-tilt screws with his B-side if done well, and I always enjoy getting a tipper F-smash through his illusion if he thinks he can get me above the stage. But fair can work just as well and so can a dair spike if you can time it.

Top Bottom