• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Other than another DB hit, none really. If it spikes them, the spike is too weak for any guaranteed follow-ups.

The third hit was made so you can shieldstab them and get your *** away for leaning too far into a shield. At least, that's how I see it.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ugh, ignore these guys. Marth's Autocancelled Uair combos into virtually everything. Fair can combo many things, and Marth's follow-ups are amazingly solid. Fair, Dtilt, Dancing Blade IS a combo. On some characters, you can chain Fairs together at certain percents on certain stages (I know, sounds extra gimmicky, lol)

Ken Combo does not exist, though I used it to win a tourney match vs a Snake recently.

To me, hitting someone with 0 helpful options is exactly the same as hitting someone in hitstun with 0 options period. It's still a combo, and Marth can do this to characters. I don't know about you guys, but the era of landing one hit at a time was over for me 2 months ago.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, it's not a true combo (not enough hitstun) but Snake's options consist of anything except air-dodge (and get hit by dair), and air-dodge (setting yourself up for a dair edgeguard anyway).

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone use Marth's counter to edgeguard MK's drill rush? I saw Ankoku use it once, and I was wondering if this was one of the few ways to successfully edgeguard MK.

Will a DS on a recovering Snake renew your second jump, just like shuttle loop does?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It counters MK Drillrushing AT YOU, not AT THE LEDGE. I would not have used it if I did not see him going straight for me instead of the ledge.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
If you're quick enough, couldn't you just run off and counter when you see it start? Drill rush's startup lag is pretty noticeable.

Again, I know this is very risky if you miss. I'm just wondering if it might be a viable tactic.

Tero.

Smash Champion
If you're quick enough, couldn't you just run off and counter when you see it start? Drill rush's startup lag is pretty noticeable.

Again, I know this is very risky if you miss. I'm just wondering if it might be a viable tactic.
You could just edgehog at the right time, if they can't sweetspot they will have this little "pop up" thing (i can't describe it lol, hope you know what i mean) and you can ledgehop aerial then.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Countering Drill Rush is very intelligent. Edgehogging is tricky, though advisable on Lylat Cruise, since it can cause the MK to Drill Rush under the stage, and SD. If you're really pro, run off and Dolphin Slash through it when your opponent is at high percents. Then drift back and catch the ledge without self-destructing.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
No problem. Yeah, MetaKnight is like Marth, with an excellent recovery and safe killing moves. So if we could get either one of those, Marth could significantly jump up.

EDIT: I just realized now that Jayboi's question was "Is there a easy way to be R.O.B[?]"

I thought this whole time it was "Is there a way to beat R.O.B?"

Ah, well, my answer still applies.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
The only way too improve his kill moves is setting up and utilizing the opportunity, like DeDeDe's UTilt, so ill dive into that.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Tippered nair 'sweetspot' is Marth's 3rd best kill move (after tipper fsmash/dsmash).

4th is tippered bair.

So in reality, Marth does have a very safe kill move. Even if you don't "sweetspot" the normal tipper is next in line after bair for horizontal killing. And bair isn't too bad in terms of safety. But Marth is cursed with the forced 'tipper' thing.

If you want to ignore tippers, Marth has nothing really (that is safe).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No problem. Yeah, MetaKnight is like Marth, with an excellent recovery and safe killing moves. So if we could get either one of those, Marth could significantly jump up.
Hack the game?

Tippered nair 'sweetspot' is Marth's 3rd best kill move (after tipper fsmash/dsmash).

4th is tippered bair.

So in reality, Marth does have a very safe kill move. Even if you don't "sweetspot" the normal tipper is next in line after bair for horizontal killing. And bair isn't too bad in terms of safety.
True, but nair hits too high to be particulatly useful in that context against a lot of characters.

Bair has the limitation that it has to be auto-canceled otherwise ending lag...

But perhaps that's the next step in marth's metagame, figuring out how to use those moves in other match-ups more reliably.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Actually SH Tipper Nair has a tilt towards the ground in front of Marth, it misses short characters but that rarely happens to me.

And we know how to use the moves correctly for each character btw.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
So not going to lie. I've never been to a legit smash tournament.

Any regulars want to give me some advice for my first?(this is where I get kicked out of MBR for having no experience whatsoever)

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I went to my first tournament just about a month ago. You're really going to be surprised, I can tell you that. I didn't think it was going to be all about spacing, but it really was. Work on that or else you're in for a rude awakening. It really helps to know all the characters and their strong points, seeing as I got beaten by a DK player which I never thought was possible. Just practice a lot, and have fun. If you try to go for first, you fail. :3

Top Bottom