• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I got ***** at my first tourney, its life altering ill tell you that. You'll soon realize what your Marth needs wok on, Glick told me my spacing was bad, i've eben working on that ever since. Now for my nerves...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
So not going to lie. I've never been to a legit smash tournament.

Any regulars want to give me some advice for my first?(this is where I get kicked out of MBR for having no experience whatsoever)
Fear, in Doubles you're going to suck, in singles you're going to suck.

In Doubles, you are going to play someone really hard your first match and you are going to get ***** but SOLID is going to pull the match out with his mad skillz. You are going to lose the first doubles match, then recover enough to play well and win the next two and then advance to the second round. You will then play Anther and Cosmo and your team will get 5 stocked both matches. You are now in the Losers Bracket. You will play a bad team and win both by a good amount. You then play a good team who you lose the first match against and win the second, but lose the third, eliminating you from Doubles. Anther's team will go on to play and beat Omniswell's team in doubles finals in 4 games.

In Singles, you first play a bad person, but your nerves get to you and you lose. Both matches. But they are close. You then play someone amazing, oozing with skill, who 3 stocks you both times (guess who I'm hinting at). Too bad. You are eliminated.

You do well in friendlies, but lose your MM to Crazn because he is gay and plays MK. You play SOLID a lot and lose the majority. SOLID says you need work, but compliments you on your Marth nonetheless, because he is the nicest person on Marth Boards. You then say "Man, Junk is wrong about you SOLID, you won't be a n00b in '10, you aren't a n00b now!" SOLID will thank you.

This is a summary of your first tourney. It's a mix of my first tourney and random stuff that I'm predicting. If you blow it in doubles you're paying my venue fee.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
SOLID why do I feel as if you're more confident than that Cheese-kun guy right now? ?_?

Confidence kills things. I hang out on this board not to learn about Marth (anymore), but to laugh at n00bs like him whose confidence levels are out of whack.

Learn to control yourself SOLID. You're naturally probably should be a better Marth than me at this point, now you must learn...how to hold such powers...

in the palm of your hands.

Really.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
SOLID why do I feel as if you're more confident than that Cheese-kun guy right now? ?_?

Confidence kills things. I hang out on this board not to learn about Marth (anymore), but to laugh at n00bs like him whose confidence levels are out of whack.

Learn to control yourself SOLID. You're naturally probably should be a better Marth than me at this point, now you must learn...how to hold such powers...

Really.
And you wonder why you don't get better. This is not a JOKING BOARD WHEN YOU DONT IMPROVE. Gosh man. You should be aksing questions since you quote on quote "suck." I will not stand for your l33tness going down te drain, i have faith.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

Really.
First off, you crack me up Viet.

I'm joking Viet. I'm not even that good. I'm just better than Fear.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
KK, I will do this!

3 stock. No items. Smashville. Marth only.

Yomi-layering GOGOGO?!

KARAS INFINITE?

SAKI'S HAWT?

DAYUUMMM RITE.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
That whole album is fire dude. Except for the last track, its soo gay. He should have let it end with Fighters. I'm bout to pop in that CD right now :)

And yea, he actually raps about real **** instead of money and hoes like everyone else.

legion598

Smash Ace
mkay QUESTION> im not entirely sure when I should be using SH Fair or SHFF Fair. I try to use both since the SH Fair can lead into a dbl Fair and the SHFF Fair is safer and crushes punishment so when should I switch between the 2?

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Fear we must play over nintendo wi-fail connection later today. I never got back to you the other day. =/

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
mkay QUESTION> im not entirely sure when I should be using SH Fair or SHFF Fair. I try to use both since the SH Fair can lead into a dbl Fair and the SHFF Fair is safer and crushes punishment so when should I switch between the 2?
Whenever. Mix it up, condition your opponent. There aren't really any specific times. Although I usually find myself doing more shff fairs on shorter chars.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
That whole album is fire dude. Except for the last track, its soo gay. He should have let it end with Fighters. I'm bout to pop in that CD right now :)

And yea, he actually raps about real **** instead of money and hoes like everyone else.
Yeah.

I know you love my avatar.

He's real talk not this random Lil Wayne ****.

I mean come on "Got Money"? WTF?

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I has a question. Does anyone really use u-tilt often with Marth? I mean I know it's a good move, kills at a good percentage, but the only times I find it suitable is when someones on the platform above me in battlefield. I find I can use all of his moves properly except for this one, it usually is left untouched unless I get off a low % combo.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Hey guys I has a question. Does anyone really use u-tilt often with Marth? I mean I know it's a good move, kills at a good percentage, but the only times I find it suitable is when someones on the platform above me in battlefield. I find I can use all of his moves properly except for this one, it usually is left untouched unless I get off a low % combo.
Utilt is a great move for juggling and hitting people on platforms. Basically, it has a huge range, attacks in a really wide arc and has a low enough lag that you won't be punished if they airdodge it(assuming proper spacing).
On rare occassions, you can also use it if they are right behind you to start a juggle.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Agree'd I utilt so much, easily my fav move as marth, dolfin slash a close second ;) it is good if your spacing is poor, saves you from nasty situations, I should know my spacing sucks so bad it's not even funny :(

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Oh also, can someone refer me to/ tell me/teach me how to grab release? I've heard it so often by marth players and can help with tippers.

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
Ah thanks guys I'll try to incorporate it into my play. I'm just usually really aggressive and am constantly moving the only tilts I get in often are down tilts.

And Cherry grab release is just grabbing certain short characters and intentionally releasing them (dont throw) and they jump away in the air with so much lag you can get free hits in. You force a grab release by not kneeing them, or if they have decent damage you can knee them towards the beginning of the grab. Dancing blade i believe works on any character that a grab release can be useful for, so if you're in doubt use that. Wario can get hit by pretty much anything including fsmash and usmash. Metaknight can be hit by f-air, dolphin slash, DB, along with a few other attacks. Can't remember who the others are that can be grab released.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Very snazzy. That'll help my game so much, I would just throw usually and f smash, which works if they are at perfect percents but taht rarely happens. I'm rather agressive too you know and I still adore his utilt, it's faster than his usmash and stuns them more which invites the always nicely tipped u-air. works well until about 60 percent :p but that starts the hellish juggling that if done properly can k.o. just about anyone lol

EDIT: want to have a few onliners, i could show you what I mean by aggresive and utilts.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Agree'd I utilt so much, easily my fav move as marth, dolfin slash a close second ;) it is good if your spacing is poor, saves you from nasty situations, I should know my spacing sucks so bad it's not even funny :(
Ok, I've NEVER had a GOOD opponent whom I could utilt consitently (more than once or twice per match, unless we are talking snake and juggle traps).

Ah thanks guys I'll try to incorporate it into my play. I'm just usually really aggressive and am constantly moving the only tilts I get in often are down tilts.

And Cherry grab release is just grabbing certain short characters and intentionally releasing them (dont throw) and they jump away in the air with so much lag you can get free hits in. You force a grab release by not kneeing them, or if they have decent damage you can knee them towards the beginning of the grab. Dancing blade i believe works on any character that a grab release can be useful for, so if you're in doubt use that. Wario can get hit by pretty much anything including fsmash and usmash. Metaknight can be hit by f-air, dolphin slash, DB, along with a few other attacks. Can't remember who the others are that can be grab released.
This is correct, add nair to your list of grab releases on MK.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lol didn't think so :p. most people get out of it but it's good for racking up damage, but risky for it's punishable with an air dodge at the right time.

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem as BacklashMarth lol I can never get them to fall into it correctly and if we're both grounded I prefer other moves over it. Maybe I'm just not fast enough with it. And I decided to come back to online a few days ago to try out AiB ladder, and lost to 2 mediocre players cause the lag just ***** me so I'm officially(for the 100th time) quitting online!!!

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I have the same problem as BacklashMarth lol I can never get them to fall into it correctly and if we're both grounded I prefer other moves over it. Maybe I'm just not fast enough with it. And I decided to come back to online a few days ago to try out AiB ladder, and lost to 2 mediocre players cause the lag just ***** me so I'm officially(for the 100th time) quitting online!!!
Lol Lag is death, I agree :p

EDIT: Well I'm friggen tired so I'm off to bed, kind of glad I dind't fight you tonight I woulda lost terribly. I'm to tired to think straight, thus mindgames would have been a thing of the past

Kilagria

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm not sure if this was answered already so please dont get mad at me! Whenever I'm on the ledge and I want to do a Dair from the ledge I never have enough time to jump back to the ledge (or at all) why is that? Also I never use my Bneutral, should I use it or only for people who are shielding? Oh and how do I make it so you guys can see my main? I mean the little pic of your main thats by the report post icon

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Hahaha I can take this one, feel free to clafiry if necessary though guys.

Tap down lightly and then hit bair and you should have your second jump still so use it then up-b and your home free, unless you up-b the other way. try practicing it.

I use be nuetral everynow and then not too often though, sometimes it's good to stick them with a good jab it's waaaaay more useful in brawls than 1v1's because if you miss your super punishable but in brawls the focus isn't necessarily on you giving you a chance to recover.

and to see your main go to User cp and then edit details adn scroll waaay down until you see your main. it'll have the lsit of char's from all the games, so if you want to it can be roy from the previous one.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
^^^ No, that's bad, lol.

What you want do do is drop down, double jump, immediately dair so you don't fastfall, then use dolphin slash to recover.

Kilagria

Smash Rookie
well first off you cant double jump from a ledge and second off I cant recover fast enough to jump after using dair (sorry if I sounded rude, I didnt mean to!) anyways it's too hard to explain, could someone try it just so they know what I'm talking about? What I do is grab onto the ledge (FD Level) and drop down followed up with Dair, when I do it it's like my Dair is doing slow-mo so I cant even jump before I die!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
well first off you cant double jump from a ledge and second off I cant recover fast enough to jump after using dair (sorry if I sounded rude, I didnt mean to!) anyways it's too hard to explain, could someone try it just so they know what I'm talking about? What I do is grab onto the ledge (FD Level) and drop down followed up with Dair, when I do it it's like my Dair is doing slow-mo so I cant even jump before I die!
Push the analog either away from the ledge or down to let go of the ledge. Then use your double jump and dair. Recovering should be easy.

Kilagria

Smash Rookie
See I told you this is hard to explain!! Lets say Link is below me (on the Final Destination ledge) and I want to Dair him, when I let go to dair him either I will kill him or I will miss and I will keep on falling because I dont have time to jump. (I might die if I hit him too, never tried it) Has anyone tried it yet?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
See I told you this is hard to explain!! Lets say Link is below me (on the Final Destination ledge) and I want to Dair him, when I let go to dair him either I will kill him or I will miss and I will keep on falling because I dont have time to jump. (I might die if I hit him too, never tried it) Has anyone tried it yet?
As benglas said, use your jump before you dair. If you dair at the top of your jump or while you're rising, you won't fastfall the dair.

Top Bottom