• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm for the ban. Have been since the first one, still view MK the same. He has no weaknesses, we only keep finding ways to make him HARDER to overcome than easier.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have been wavering for a bit, but after reading the first post + all the information I've read so far, it's getting more difficult to understand the anti-ban's point of view.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I've always wanted him gone.

But I've always wondered if I've -really- wanted him gone.

Recently, I've been leaning towards the ban, ever since my local tourney banned him. It's nice. Maybe that's one reason the TO hasn't gotten back into the swing of posting results, though...

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
long time coming, no one even cares at this point but a metagame based solely around one character choke ****s the game as a whole. Name one other competitive game where the top characters weren't in some sort of three way balance, where there was a single solitary broken over everyone else character that didn't have some sort of hard counter, and tell me if that character wasn't banned. Every other character on the ENTIRE list you can put into a 4-6 situation. We have a metagame where the viability of your character is based SOLELY on whether or not you can hack it against one character, and a game a year and a half deep where people are still surprised at what the rest of the cast can do because all ANYONE knows is how to fight mk. I dont even think the character is unbeatable or overpowered (actually I do think he's overpowered but that doesnt really matter), but the **** is ridiculous.

We have a top tier of what, 6, 7 characters? A good number of high tier characters can beat a good number of characters on the top tier list and we're clinging onto one character? The fact that he said "oh he doesnt even make up 1/2 of a tournament, only one third" is absolutely ridiculous.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I have been wavering for a bit, but after reading the first post + all the information I've read so far, it's getting more difficult to understand the anti-ban's point of view.
It's pretty simple actually he isn't banworthy in street fighter so lets not ban him in brawl.

LOL ryko I love that part about people still being surprised about what other characters can do. You can here my pool leader furbs from whobo commentating how he didn't know Ike could auto cancel his nair and bair.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I've been on the fence with this issue for awhile. Personally, I can't say that MK is a broken piece of ****, cuz I've never fought a good MK. However, I see some of the stuff he is capable of and it is simply astonishing. After reading both arguments, both sides have a few valid points, but I find the pro-ban side stronger. I voted yes just because I want to see what future tourneys will look like without MK dominating top positions. And also, to see how much more characters will be used. Personally, I see an influx of Marth mains over the horizon.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I'm personally against the ban of MK. I don't mind a sort of "test run" to see how tournies are like without MK, but apart from that, the only real reason I'm against MK's ban is because his "gayness" never bothered me. In the end, though, whether he's banned or not won't affect my decisions.

Snake, Marth, DDD, and Falco will start dominating, I'd think. They have several counters each, though.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nair doesn't auto cancel.
Yah, I thought it did at first but I realized that my jabs come out slightly faster after an ACd Bair than an Nair. At low percents I like to Bair OoS if my opponent is behind me and I follow them through the air, jab -> grabbing them as soon as I land. Unless they've seen me do it before it usually catches people off-guard and even then it works more often than not.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Any tips on dealing with DK as Ike?
General tips include:

-Be cautious near the edge. DK can either cargo stage spike or cargo Dthrow you away from the stage(if done right you cannot get back from that, at any percent).
-Jabbing is your friend. DK is big, he can get caught up in them easily. Just watch for patterns...such as if they like to jump out of your jab cancels(the 1,2 cancel...the DK I play does it all the time, which makes me end up always finishing the combo).
-Spacing. He's going to try and space you with his Bair/Ftilt...in turn you can use Fair.
-Aetherspike. Or any spike for that matter...naturally is DK's demise.
-Down-B has ridiculous range...take care with that. Aerial approach naturally takes care of this.
-Fully charged Monkey Punch has surprisingly little ending lag...can catch people off guard.
-The DK I play against loves to use Spinning Kong to its fullest potential...and that can be hard to get around at times. Learning it's properties can go a long way (I.E. canceling the landing lag, Super Armor frames, approach technique, full momentum cancel for survival, etc.).
-DK can Ftilt/Fsmash your Aether recovery somewhat reliably...boo.

and most importantly...

-Sakurai Combo. Don't get hit by it!!

In short, the name of the game with this match up is spacing. You've got to space better than DK...which can prove difficult at times since he's big on spacing himself. And spiking...one spike and that's an auto stock...more or less.

Sample video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oburAH9jtx0

This happens to be the DK I play against all the time (Ook is beast!!) against one of the other Ike's on these boards(Metroid)...somewhat recent, if you can call 2 months ago recent. The last kill is what I mean by Full charge punch having surprisingly little ending lag...

Melfice z

Smash Ace
Good morning ike boards!

Any tips on dealing with DK as Ike?
Spiking is relatively easy if you know the trajectory of the spinning kong. this should be abused.

as kirk said, jabbing should be used constatly because of DK's size.

Spacing is huge in this matchup. You should always win in the air if you use fair correctly.

And as for my unethical tip :p If dk overuses donkey punch or he gets predictable, counter works wonders! :bee:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Lol, mornin'.

I've played DKs plenty of times myself, and there's really nothing else to add that hasn't been said. Just follow the guidelines above and you'll do well. I personally find DK's big size to be a godsend, since it's fairly easy to hit him.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
As far as watching out for the properties of spinning kong goes, I know that a DK I play recently showed off a night edge guard // plank. Brett, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jingo hang on the edge, then do Spinning Kong while maintaining super armor the entire way, then automatically hang on the edge again? I actually got owned a few times, cause I thought I could aether spike him.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Not sure if he ever did that repeatedly. But I know he can step on the ledge, do spinning kong and grab the ledge at the end, with SAFs throughout the whole thing. Best way to deal with that is DI up.

You may actually be talking about where he's actually grabbed the ledge and he just ledge-drops and does upB. Just make sure you're not on the inside when he does something like this unless you want to get stage spiked. Again, best way to deal with it is to DI up.
------------------------------------

General statement. DK's recovery gets screwed by us. If he recovers too high, we can Dtilt him, but that would be the player's fault. Ledge-dropped reverse Aether WILL kill. Free stock. You just have to get your timing right. And if you don't have enough time to get to the ledge and it looks like DK is recovering low, you can always walk-off counter to try and set up a kill situation (smart DKs may figure out how to make it back after this, though... if they DI up and wait to recover).
(Oh yeah, well enough timed Dair can do it too, but it isn't always practical.)

OH YEAH. This one is big. Fastest way to escape DK's cargo = HOLD UP on the control stick. Do nothing more. For some reason it works. You will be cargo spiked a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller amount of times in the future if you keep this in mind.

Gahhh, the DK match-up is so fun.

Golden Ike

Smash Apprentice
Dude, ty so much for tellin me bout this in my Meet & Greet. It taught me a lot of Ike **** I didnt know!
When I can go W-Fi, I tell ya ;D

Kirk

Smash Champion
Would anyone be interested in videos from a tourney I went to last week? It wasn't a...'real' tourney...(i.e. like 12-13 people and no entry fee) but the competition was still there(grand finals was against Falco >.>) and it was basically the first tourney I've gone to in...who knows how long(still looking into going to more...).

Hmmm?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I voted to ban MK. I was pleasantly surprised to see that one post that completely destroyed the anti-ban's position. Rendered it useless. Garbage. Worthless.

Me thinks I need to add a new line to my sig now until the vote is done.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
7 were using Ike, 5 using Bowser
Wow you're the man (obvious statement is obvious). And you made it to grand finals? You said it was against Falco so does that mean you lost? :( Or does it mean you metaphorically edge-hogged the matchup and beat him? :)

:034:

Kirk

Smash Champion
Wow you're the man (obvious statement is obvious). And you made it to grand finals? You said it was against Falco so does that mean you lost? :( Or does it mean you metaphorically edge-hogged the matchup and beat him? :)

:034:
Like i said, it was a small, "meh" tourney...making it to winner's wasn't a big deal. There were probably 2-3 others who knew what they were doing(i.e. around my skill level)...but not much else.

I ended up winning though...so yay.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
hobo is tomorrow! are you ready texas Ikes!
Let's hope we're ready. Because I'm not getting any better between now and tomorrow.

I do know I'm ready for the three of us to be under the same roof at the same time, finally.

I wonder if there will be any Ikes we don't know there. If not, we should invite Bwett to an Ike FFA. He used to main Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom