• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Samus' Z-air tether has a limit right? Just like Link and the other characters? It's important to keep count of these things. I agree with San, Samus can be pretty predictable while hanging on the edge. Just read and punish.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I remember Mr. Doom posting about 3 consecutive tethers, and that's it. As long as we're mindful that we outrange everything except zair, and that zair isn't really too safe of a move anyways, we're good.

I have a question. Does dash attack at certain percent force a tech chase? I'm not exactly sure, given optimal DI, but it seems possible from what I've noticed (like 30-40% chance). If they didn't tech, they just ate another dash attack.

To be honest, I think dash attack is strangely situationally useful for punishing movements and attacks that opponents think they are too out of reach for. It's pretty fast, covering quite a bit of distance in a short amount of time, and offers passable followups onstage and decent to nice followups offstage. I feel its blaring weakness can be overcome if used sparingly and if we can get a feel for optimal times to use it.

Palpi

Smash Hero
San, I tried that thing you always do, dash away shield then dash attack and it always worked. For whatever reason, people don't think that will ever happen lol.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It takes guts to dash attack someone when they're just standing there. I try to time it so they dash or try to throw or shoot something.

I also like to throw dash attack after walking away or walking around until the correct moment, to get myself spaced at maximum distance.

It's not about just getting the hit, but the followups and the positional advantage after hitting them. I like the followups it allows sometimes.

nvm, answered my own question about DA. Nope. As expected, though.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
That's because based on the frame data
http://i34.tinypic.com/2ll0ygi.gif

Ike actually accelerates around the 15-19 frame mark, approximately 4 frames from the first hitbox on frame 18. The visual cue with the foot leading off is at frame 12, leaving 7 frames, which is still good. It's hard to differentiate from a normal dash at first, too, frames 1-11. If an opponent initiates an action that dash attack beats without moving out the way, chances are it will be able to hit.

The gist is, it starts to move really fast when the dash attack is coming out, which can be pretty dang useful, too.

After 60%-70% or so, getting hit by dash attack can lead to being offstage with surprise DI, away from their comfort zone.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dang, latest Boondocks episode was intense.

Random Q: Has anyone figured out which way to DI Bowser's Forward B grab? And how to DI Squirtle's D-throw? Or is it up throw? The more lethal one. I don't know.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ike actually accelerates around the 15-19 frame mark, approximately 4 frames from the first hitbox on frame 18. The visual cue with the foot leading off is at frame 12, leaving 7 frames, which is still good. It's hard to differentiate from a normal dash at first, too, frames 1-11. If an opponent initiates an action that dash attack beats without moving out the way, chances are it will be able to hit.

The gist is, it starts to move really fast when the dash attack is coming out, which can be pretty dang useful, too.
I think you hit the nail on the head as to why random dash attacks work on people. The first 11 frames look EXACTLY like a dash animation and as such they are probably not going to shield for fear of a grab or something. Most things they might do in retaliation to a dash are generally beaten by the DA itself. And, once they notice that it's an attack and not a simple dash, chances are they already reacted to the 'dash animation'

Random Q: Has anyone figured out which way to DI Bowser's Forward B grab? And how to DI Squirtle's D-throw? Or is it up throw? The more lethal one. I don't know.
I always figured that you have to DI any lethal vertical move towards the nearest corner since the corners have the farthest blast zones. And the lethal Squirtle throw is Dthrow.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Bored, DI up and to the corner in front of each of them. Momentum cancel accordingly.

BTW, I love linking dash attack to a dash attack. I'm surprised by how many people fall for it.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Dang, latest Boondocks episode was intense.

"Look. F you, f the plane you flew in on, f them shoes, f them socks with the belt on it, f yo gayass MFin' accent, f them cheapass cigars, f yo yukmouth teeth, f yo hair piece, f yo chocolate, f Guy Ritchie, f Prince William, f the Queen. This is America. My president is black and my Lambo is blue, nukka. Now gtfo my hotel room. And if I see you in the street I’m slappin’ the sh-- out of you."

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Total Randomness: San, I forgot to say this, but I believe you are taller than I. You ran into Holms at MLG and are about the same height as he. So, if you are less than half a foot shorter than he, then you are taller than I. That is all.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Total Randomness: San, I forgot to say this, but I believe you are taller than I. You ran into Holms at MLG and are about the same height as he. So, if you are less than half a foot shorter than he, then you are taller than I. That is all.
jesus, half a foot? how short/tall are you? either that or san is some kind of giant

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm 6'3.5'' to 6'4''

Holms was very tall, too. But I didn't notice much specifically.

On the way back home from Columbus, at one of the rest stations, there was this really REALLY tall guy (near 6'10''+ not even joking) WITH a turban that made him look even taller.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'm 6'3.5'' to 6'4''

Holms was very tall, too. But I didn't notice much specifically.

On the way back home from Columbus, at one of the rest stations, there was this really REALLY tall guy (near 6'10''+ not even joking) WITH a turban that made him look even taller.
oh right, i'm about 6'0, so if you thought this muslim guy was tall, he must have been huge, the tallest guy i've ever seen in real life was just under seven foot, but he was sitting down all the time, still looked massive XP

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Oh, I do believe the 6'10" story, since I've talked to a guy who's 7' tall. And I thought being around 6'4" was tall until that guy made me look like a dwarf. That guy's on a basketball team. I don't remember his name, though.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
turban =\= Muslim

yes Muslims wead turbans on weddings as the groom but in public that's more often a Siq person
Dang, ask the expert. I'm 5'11, sort of an average height for around here. My brother who's a year younger than me used to always be a head shorter as we were growing up but now he's close to 6'1... it's frustrating sometimes, lol.

:034:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
"Look. F you, f the plane you flew in on, f them shoes, f them socks with the belt on it, f yo gayass MFin' accent, f them cheapass cigars, f yo yukmouth teeth, f yo hair piece, f yo chocolate, f Guy Ritchie, f Prince William, f the Queen. This is America. My president is black and my Lambo is blue, nukka. Now gtfo my hotel room. And if I see you in the street I’m slappin’ the sh-- out of you."
Huey: Thats the stupidest idea youve ever come up with in your entire life.
Riley: You just mad you didnt think of it.
Huey: Youre gonna start a fundraiser with no cause?
Riley: Cause!? ***** IM the cause! Cause: I want a house. Cause: I want a yacht. Cause: I wanna get this GUAP *****. DATS the cause!

Probably the funniest episode this season imo.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Why looky there, I believe that's some generic anime goin' on there.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh I have two questions regarding Dash Attack.
1) Can Ike DACUS it?
2) Is it good to dash, slow down so it looks like your gonna stop, then pop it out? (Dunno if I'm explaining the scenario right.)
1) I wish. But no, Ike can't DACUS.

2) All uses of DA are situational and risky, since it does have a good amount of start-up and ending time. It definitely has some things going for it, but when you choose to use it depends a lot on the player you're fighting. The maneuver you described may work on some players a few times but it can be caught on to pretty quickly, and if whiffed, DA is easily punished.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You're supposed to time dash attack not to surprise the opponent, but to punish moves initiated by the opponent where they think they are far enough distance not to be punished. Moves include projectiles such as pikmin throw, and projectiles after jumps (samus, falco (needs timing)), snake pulling out nade.

Also includes dashes or whiffed attacks.

This is just onstage.

Dash attack near the ledge is an entirely different story. Because very few aerials out-range dash attack, it's a decent move to use against people offstage. It's pretty difficult to punish in most instances, and can bait air dodges. There's also a good amount of reward for getting a hit from there. + you can initiate dash attack at many different points near the edge.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
The point of the dash attack is to, as far as I see it, to beat an action done by the opponent that was in turn done to beat your dash itself.

Now I know what I posted should make sense but my lack of sleep tells me otherwise. :ohwell:

It's not a "don't sleep to do work" type of thing either. It's a "don't sleep and instead watch movies or play video games" type of thing. I love summer.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Dash attack near the ledge is an entirely different story. Because very few aerials out-range dash attack, it's a decent move to use against people offstage. It's pretty difficult to punish in most instances, and can bait air dodges. There's also a good amount of reward for getting a hit from there. + you can initiate dash attack at many different points near the edge.
You know the bit about baiting air-dodges definitely works, and if you land a DA or two on someone who's off-stage you can then fake them out by simply running to the edge, and if they air-dodge to avoid the would-be DA, you can then run right off stage and walk-off Dair them to punish the AD. It's a situational mind-game but if you can catch your opponent falling the right distance from the edge a few times and convince them that you're always going to go for a DA, you should be able to hit the walk-off Dair.

And what Brett mentioned about DA -> DA is true, it worked on me mostly because I had never seen it before, but at a certain percent it was even guaranteed provided I didn't tech the floor after the first one. It had to be an IDA, but it definitely caught me off guard and I'd like to try it on other players now.

YagamiLight said:
The point of the dash attack is to, as far as I see it, to beat an action done by the opponent that was in turn done to beat your dash itself.
Lol, that kind of made sense to me, but I'm pretty beat too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom