• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Piston

Smash Rookie
i think we are pretty good and the people that understimates will probably be suprised at our playing skills

Nicole

Smash Champion
i have no idea if this has been said or not (i have no intention of reading 20 pages of board conversation!) but a very good reason that girls are typically not as good as boys at games is because they have fewer friends to play against. i am a girl player myself, and if i asked all my chick friends to play smash with me, they'd laugh in my face. most of my guy friends are just casual smash gamers and are more focused on first person shooters and such, so they aren't much competition either.

we can't get good if we don't get practice against humans.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
i think women are underestimated. but if this is your first tournament i sugest u just worying about not cracking under the presure. besides it doesnt matter who u are, the only thing that matters is how u play :D

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
i have no idea if this has been said or not (i have no intention of reading 20 pages of board conversation!) but a very good reason that girls are typically not as good as boys at games is because they have fewer friends to play against. i am a girl player myself, and if i asked all my chick friends to play smash with me, they'd laugh in my face. most of my guy friends are just casual smash gamers and are more focused on first person shooters and such, so they aren't much competition either.

What does this have to do with being a girl? That just has to do with your area. If you can't find people to play, either your area is dead of smash, or you're just not looking hard enough.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

I have mostly guy friends though..

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Uh.. i honestly do underestimate female players.. though i only play melee because i dont have a wii..
I fought plenty girls at tournaments.. i never lost yet.. so yes i underestimate female players..
Is there a female player better then me? Hell yeah.. i have yet to find one though.

ddizzeldexley

Smash Rookie
it shouldnt matter who hands that controller is in boy or girl when im facing my oppenent i dont pay attention to gender there just how good there are

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol@ this thread.

OMG!!! It's about female smashers, so let's all post M I RITE?!?!?!

-_-

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Uh.. i honestly do underestimate female players.. though i only play melee because i dont have a wii..
I fought plenty girls at tournaments.. i never lost yet.. so yes i underestimate female players..
Is there a female player better then me? Hell yeah.. i have yet to find one though.
Mo Finnish players have managed to beat me in a tournament (and I've faced every single player in their Top 10). Must mean they never can...

Samochan

Smash Master
Mo Finnish players have managed to beat me in a tournament (and I've faced every single player in their Top 10). Must mean they never can...
I don't get what you're saying, please edit. :< Do you mean most finnish players haven't managed to beat you on tourney? Still, most haven't faced you on tourney setting, though I dunno how many played against you in casuals at ros4 (not that I doubt you beating us into bulp at the time of ros4 lol).

The tags on this thread make me sad though. ._. At least they don't concern me though, especially the "girls suck at smash" part. :p

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't get what you're saying, please edit. :< Do you mean most finnish players haven't managed to beat you on tourney? Still, most haven't faced you on tourney setting, though I dunno how many played against you in casuals at ros4 (not that I doubt you beating us into bulp at the time of ros4 lol).
I meant to say "No", which is true. Not a single Finnish Smasher has yet to be able to beat me in a tournament (pools, brackets, moneymatch) IIRC. And I've faced the entire Top 10 at one time or another. Of course, for many of them, that was over a year ago.

But since you guys have yet to be me, employing the logic of "If it ain't happened yet...", I should automatically underestimate every single Finnish Smasher I ever go up against.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I meant to say "No", which is true. Not a single Finnish Smasher has yet to be able to beat me in a tournament (pools, brackets, moneymatch) IIRC. And I've faced the entire Top 10 at one time or another. Of course, for many of them, that was over a year ago.

But since you guys have yet to be me, employing the logic of "If it ain't happened yet...", I should automatically underestimate every single Finnish Smasher I ever go up against.
I assume, then, that you are being facetious to highlight the ridiculousness of this line of logic?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
only problem is the this logic is completely sound,

if youve been playing since sep of 04 and no finnish person has ever beat you, than i believe that its perfectly acceptable to believe that they arent going to beat you in the future.

and by that logic, ive been playing for bout 2.5 years and ive never lost to a girl, i even beaten girls that were believed to be much better than me, so i have absolutely no qualms with believing that i am going to beat female smashers i come across. and it has nothign to do with sex. if i started paying attention, and i realised that ive never lost a game of smash to someone taller, fatter, or with a darker skin tone than me (im black and pretty dark so its not all that common) than i would assume that im going ot beat those ppl in the future, and theres nothing wrong with that

when a girl beats me, i will happily rescend my thoughts (and also proly propose on the spot) but until that happens, i will continue to believe that the trend will continue

DippnDots

Feral Youth
only problem is the this logic is completely sound,

if youve been playing since sep of 04 and no finnish person has ever beat you, than i believe that its perfectly acceptable to believe that they arent going to beat you in the future.

and by that logic, ive been playing for bout 2.5 years and ive never lost to a girl, i even beaten girls that were believed to be much better than me, so i have absolutely no qualms with believing that i am going to beat female smashers i come across. and it has nothign to do with sex. if i started paying attention, and i realised that ive never lost a game of smash to someone taller, fatter, or with a darker skin tone than me (im black and pretty dark so its not all that common) than i would assume that im going ot beat those ppl in the future, and theres nothing wrong with that

when a girl beats me, i will happily rescend my thoughts (and also proly propose on the spot) but until that happens, i will continue to believe that the trend will continue
This is why you'll never be anything short of a casual player thinking he's a competitive player.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
Girls are normaly underestimated in tournaments due to you don't think of girls play a game where its only a sausage fest.

i take everyone on with the same thing in my head ok this person will beat me if i don't play smart and cheap.

So really i play everyone (in tournaments) as gayly (is that a word?) as possible to make sure i win.

I remember playing Janet long time ago at a local tournament and she owned everyone of us and beat the best is cabot, arkansas.

so after that i don't underestimate anyone male, female, trans, 1 armed hobo, and/or feet player.

just my 2 cents (and post ;))

-peace vts

LOL i remember that tourney. it's cos i'm MD/VA, son ! :grin:

these threads need to stop lmao
::edit::
wow im sorry for possibly reviving it, ignore this post ok tenk you

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
in my case no... just because makup is being worn dosent mean that they dont like beating the virtul tar out of each other...

Top Bottom