• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
It's a a question I am honestly curious about? I want honesty too. Im a female smasher going into my hopefully my first tourney. I want to know since the community is largely dominated by men if they think that way. Im curious of the basic mentality of a tournement?
Im assuming if men do under estimate me I can get a good edge over my competition but that might not be the case. So help would be nice.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Emily, who was once considered the world's best female smasher recently re-entered the smash scene in Australia's RAMBO Melee/Brawl tournament in Melbourne.

She came 5th in Melee singles I think. Which is pretty good for somebody who went inactive for a couple of years. Although, she's also played with some of the world's best, so it went without saying that she'd probably finish high.

To answer your question, Women probably are underestimated, because female smashers during the melee scene were very few and very far inbetween (I seem to remember a costa rican female crew, Emily/Kupo is the only other stand out).

With the attraction of online play, I think we might see more females enter the ring.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Well, I certainly don't underestimate Yen over here in norcal :p
Her peach is vicious.. she's crazy good with items (and turnips), and she's probably amongst top 25 in norcal

I've heard of an Australian female smasher that was crazy good, but i've never seen any vids of her. I assume it's emily though

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Cool! Thankyou for the names I'll see if I can root around for more information on these ladies.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It depends...

Yes people underestimate girls.

No, it's not enough to make you win unless you have some skill backing you up.

People don't underestimate me as much now that I've been part of the community for a while. Except for noobs, who don't count anyway.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
Women are pretty much underestimated in everything except volleyball.

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
I think most people would be more bewildered instead of underestimate you.

I beat a girl in a Brawl tourny, though, and people around me were getting mad at me.

So... you'll deffintly win sympathy.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
You should've seen Azen go to town on TacoNinja at *Pound* 3. There was no taking her lightly. v_v It almost made me cry.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
To answer the question to your topic, yes, we do underestimate women. I don't know any girls except maybe one who plays this game with me.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yeah because they generally don't compete in video game competitions. Just obvious gender differences. They are a minority and it's a common misconception they don't play games.

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
Honestly women are underestimated in tournaments, but I believe it comes from their under-representation. Last brawl event I went to a girl made it pretty far playing Pikachu until I knocked her outl.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
Well, they might as you for your phone number and take you out on a date if they beat you... a pity date??? =P

Zodiac

Smash Master
It's a a question I am honestly curious about? I want honesty too. Im a female smasher going into my hopefully my first tourney. I want to know since the community is largely dominated by men if they think that way. Im curious of the basic mentality of a tournement?
Im assuming if men do under estimate me I can get a good edge over my competition but that might not be the case. So help would be nice.

if they're really arrogant then it would give you an edge, however I doubt a lot of them will. If I were you though, Assume that they ARE underestimating you and hold nothing back against them and if they are underestimating you then they'll practically give up they're first stock. After that its just your skill.

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
if they're really arrogant then it would give you an edge, however I doubt a lot of them will. If I were you though, Assume that they ARE underestimating you and hold nothing back against them and if they are underestimating you then they'll practically give up they're first stock. After that its just your skill.
thats exactly what happened to me at one of my last tournys,
all the guys looked down at me in my pool, so they underestimated me.
I was only one point away from getting put of pools but sadly i got stuck in
a pool full of spammers, so i didnt make it :(
but i stil ***** 80% of them :)

Samochan

Smash Master
Only way I'm losing to a girl is if she gives me tongue action afterwards.
But if a girl beats you, you're the one who should reward her, not the other way around. :p

But yea, it is understandable if guys tend to underestimate female smashers on tournaments cause there's so few of us and no one as of yet has shown such skill that pc, chu, azen and friends demonstrate. When they get to know your relative skill level however, they quit such act and play serious. :p Also word spreads around, I think I had to face practically every spanish smasher at esa2. *_* Show some serious skill and they quit taking you lightly and put up a decent challenge at least. :p

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
It depends...

Yes people underestimate girls.

No, it's not enough to make you win unless you have some skill backing you up.

People don't underestimate me as much now that I've been part of the community for a while. Except for noobs, who don't count anyway.
Still brings joy to my eyes when I see them lose to you!

Zoro

Smash Champion
I feel bad for guys that have to play girls

its like if you win

everyone thinks your an ***

if you lose

you suck and your out lol

If i get girl smasher
I start it win/lose then GTFO of the place before anyone can notice

Lol at the last melee tourney me and marin went to

i got her first round lost to her

then she got colbol (i think)lost to him

Then i got her again in losers after i got a win in losers.. i was like...**** I hate this
lol i won tho

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
I feel bad for guys that have to play girls

its like if you win

everyone thinks your an ***

if you lose

you suck and your out lol

If i get girl smasher
I start it win/lose then GTFO of the place before anyone can notice

Lol at the last melee tourney me and marin went to

i got her first round lost to her

then she got colbol (i think)lost to him

Then i got her again in losers after i got a win in losers.. i was like...**** I hate this
lol i won tho
lol your just lucky you know my weaknesses

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Madvillain

Smash Rookie
Seriously, if a female has skills, she's cool in my book. It's stupid to pre-judge how a girl is going to play, or a gay, or a fireman. Skill is skill. While I have never met a girl that can throw down against me in any game, I am sure there are some out there that are pretty furious.

:laugh:

mog87

Smash Ace
I don't underestimate female players, I just don't respect them in the morning! :laugh:
Best post. And everyone underestimates female players because the majority of them suck, so unless they have a reputation or are the sibling of some avid smash player they prolly arent very good, and this holds true 99% of the time.

Now if you ask why they suck...thats a whole different subject that goes off into social normals and gender identity and such.

NIXN

Smash Apprentice
Best post. And everyone underestimates female players because the majority of them suck, so unless they have a reputation or are the sibling of some avid smash player they prolly arent very good, and this holds true 99% of the time.

Now if you ask why they suck...thats a whole different subject that goes off into social normals and gender identity and such.
Ha! Guys are just competitive to try and top each other, so girls we dont expect much for competition bc of male rivals

Zoro

Smash Champion

Its all that estrogen

Overlord_Ganon

Smash Rookie
Do women get underestimated? Yes. unfortunatly. I am a female smash bros. player, but I have never had a problem in tournaments. Sometimes my skills are ignored in the beginning of any game tournament in general but when people start noticing that my skills are out of the ordinary, thats when things change.

I don't usaully worry about underestimation as it doesn't matter what people think or judge me by. After all, anyone who prejudges obviously doesn't know the real me, harhar. I love to be competitive in tournaments, its my passion. My first tournament was when I was 12(20 now =b) in Otakon, Smash bros. melee.

Otherwise, you should focus more on your skills, stradegy, and preparation. Don't worry about people underestimating you, its not worth it.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I am a female and I play competitively. At tournaments I've noticed that at first there is a bit of underestimation, but after a few rounds guys tend to accept my equality and seriousness.

I personally feel great satisfaction when a man underestimates me and I beat him for the first round (in Singles, let's say) They have this priceless expression on their face(s).

I would love to fight a guy (whom I don't know, of course) for once, who would notice that I'm a female yet start the match with just as much anticipation and worry as any other match.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I hear Emily is amazing and beat Husband back in the day when Husband was a world class player.

Milktea also is a challenging foe from my experiences when she's not nervous and messing up.

I saw Jesi do some cool stuff with her Falco in the Midwest.

Other than that, never really heard of good female players.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Not to be ****ed up, but the word "underestimated" doesn't really apply to women as a group. The question is worded poorly.

One may think that females as a group couldn't win tournaments. That wouldn't be an "underestimation". That would be logical estimation based on tournament results. There are a few females that are exceptions, but they don't really make a case for all females.

So what the question really should be is "are specific players underestimated because they are females?". The answer to that is Yes, and I've seen plenty of quality male players lose to highly skilled females.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
I don't underestimate females in smash, they end up overestimating me and getting self-conscious/nervous. I'm not that good, but I've yet to lose to a female player in smash, lol.

Mario Kart's another story :p

TheLake

Smash Master
I think girls are really hott.

I dont care if they are good or not if i see a babe that plays videogames I jump on dat ****.

Only a fool wouldnt O_O

Paixy

Smash Journeyman

I dont care if they are good or not if i see a babe that plays videogames I jump on dat ****.
Well, I do too. But there's a time n place and when they are between you and your next match or your risk of being eliminated from a bracket, you best wise up and play n not goof off.

The second line there is one reason alot of them don't play competitively.

But on the topic, As a whole? Females are generally underestimated in ANY competitive game. But honstly though, underestimating ANYONE on a COMPETITIVE field reguardless of age, race, gender, sexual pref., or disability is a mistake.

In a tournament setting, Im in it to win it. Cause that person you underestimate could just take you out, fact of life.

but really, Ike says it best "You'll get no sympathy from me."[/lame] :laugh:

Miharu

Smash Hero

Only a fool wouldnt O_O
And you wonder why more women don't play video games.

Or talk to you, for that matter.

Don't ostracize or treat them any differently just because they're of the female gender.

Top Bottom