• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The above post is stupid, and I will disregard it as an actual serious post. I will assume it was a joke until you post that says otherwise. It is easier to pick up, it is more balanced (so far), and the last point was an opinion as well. The only thing that was wrong was the part of winning with only 4 characters. Even that has some truth to it as well. But this is off topic, and dumb, and not the time for brawl vs melee.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I hear Emily is amazing and beat Husband back in the day when Husband was a world class player.
Husband was never world class, lololol.

And wtf, Samochan is a girl? Since when?

Anyway, I dunno about the rest of the smash scenes, but Colorado never takes female players seriously. We'll gauge them the first match, then, if they do well, we'll keep playing properly against them. If not, and they show little interest in actually improving/are arrogant, we three stock them while playing random.

I know that, at one tournament I went to, there was a girl that played both Peach and Sheik. She was better than the average scrub, but she was super arrogant about it, because she felt that beating males made her special.

Long story short, both my friend and I made it a point to viciously 4 stock her (playing SSBM, btw), and then proceeded to go random against her, to further drive home that she was nothing special. We might not even have done the random thing, if she didn't flip out after her first loss, claiming stuff like that never happens, and just generally being a poor sport.

Then again, we do that to almost every scrub that thinks they're better than they really are. We'll even beat them with their own character, regardless of whether or not we play said character.

tl;dr- I tend to take female players a little less seriously until they show that they're serious, and not just a gimmick. We've had too much drama generated by female players, so I'm really quite fine with Brawl being almost exclusively male.

Guilty Gear is another story entirely. I've been eliminated by female players twice in tournament. GG females are ****ing tight.

Super EDIT:

Fumi's not a girl, is it? If so, dayumnz. Pretty sure Fumi is a guy, though.

On teams you cannot just have 1 person doing all the work, you need to have your partner assisting you all the times.
Ken Geedorah, one of Colorado's weakest smashers, got to team with Isai at OC3 for friendlies. Isai did ALL the heavy lifting, and they were 4-5 stocking people. Ken even told us that he did absolutely nothing, and that it was all Isai's doing.

But why call it a 'team match' when one person is doing all the work?
Not all of us can have Isai, King, or PC on our teams. D:

For teams, one person can carry the team a LONG distance. It is a lot less apparent with Brawl, though.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guilty Gear is another story entirely. I've been eliminated by female players twice in tournament. GG females are ****ing tight.
The U.S.'s currently best Testament, and one of the best GG players overall and formerly at one or another the very best player, is a male-to-female post-op. Needless to say, GG is special. Then again, just look at the character roster.

Ken Geedorah, one of Colorado's weakest smashers, got to team with Isai at OC3 for friendlies. Isai did ALL the heavy lifting, and they were 4-5 stocking people. Ken even told us that he did absolutely nothing, and that it was all Isai's doing.
You can win friendlies and get maybe a bit far in a tournament, sure. Possibly even win one that's small. But you cannot win entire tournaments with more than a handful of skilled players, especially if two or more of said players team up.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
The U.S.'s currently best Testament, and one of the best GG players overall and formerly at one or another the very best player, is a male-to-female post-op. Needless to say, GG is special. Then again, just look at the character roster.

You can win friendlies and get maybe a bit far in a tournament, sure. Possibly even win one that's small. But you cannot win entire tournaments with more than a handful of skilled players, especially if two or more of said players team up.

Jaime is my hero though my friend sean is good to and flash metriod.

Either way this thread is a waste of space...dont underestimate anyone. there

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rofl, since...the beginning of time perhaps? X3

With such feminine nickname and usage of :3 emoticons it shouldn't be so suprising keke.

Unless everyone think an effeminate gay smasher is more likely, given that I main peach.

>_>

<_<

<_>

:lick:
You main Zelda in Brawl, though (as do I), so most people (who aren't European) shouldn't even know you main Peach.

Also, what the hell are you doing on Narutoforums?! :p

Samochan

Smash Master
You main Zelda in Brawl, though (as do I), so most people (who aren't European) shouldn't even know you main Peach.

Also, what the hell are you doing on Narutoforums?! :p
Most people that know some bits of me also know I main peach on melee. And do you perhaps use pit as a secondary like I do? Cause that would be way freaky since our peaches are too similar as well lol.

I've lurked narutoforums ever since I started watching and reading naruto. :p So I finally decided to join and see if it works out.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Most people that know some bits of me also know I main peach on melee. And do you perhaps use pit as a secondary like I do? Cause that would be way freaky since our peaches are too similar as well lol.
I have several secondaries and Pit is one of them, yes.

I've lurked narutoforums ever since I started watching and reading naruto. :p So I finally decided to join and see if it works out.
When I read forums, I don't really pay attention to user names unless I find what they write interesting so I was just skimming a thread and came upon someone with a sign almost identical to yours (only more shrunk down for space reasons) and went "Wait a minute... did Samochan steal her sig from someone?" and then was shocked to see that it was actually you.

Samochan

Smash Master
I have several secondaries and Pit is one of them, yes.
Is Ike one of them? Coco also mains Pit. <_<

It's starting to get really freaky lol. Maybe peach users are automatically drawn to feminine chars that are good or with which you can spam things.

When I read forums, I don't really pay attention to user names unless I find what they write interesting so I was just skimming a thread and came upon someone with a sign almost identical to yours (only more shrunk down for space reasons) and went "Wait a minute... did Samochan steal her sig from someone?" and then was shocked to see that it was actually you.
It hurts me to see your first reaction was that did I steal my sig from someone. :<

Nah :lick:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is Ike one of them? Coco also mains Pit. <_<

It's starting to get really freaky lol. Maybe peach users are automatically drawn to feminine chars that are good or with which you can spam things.
I just like the way they play, feminine or not. Then again, I wanted to try Pit out even before the game was released because he's so smexy, but I would never play him seriously if he was sheit.

I tried playing Ike out for real this past weekend. He's not a secondary but a tertiary character.

My Brawl chars:
Main: Zelda
Secondaries: Shota Link, Pit, Marth
Tertiaries: Ike, Peach, Meta-Knight
Quaternary: Sheik, Lucas, Squirtle (and only Squirtle :p)

It hurts me to see your first reaction was that did I steal my sig from someone. :<

Nah :lick:
I mean that the pics themselves were taken from some website instead of you making the Zelda-pic.

Samochan

Smash Master
I just like the way they play, feminine or not. Then again, I wanted to try Pit out even before the game was released because he's so smexy, but I would never play him seriously if he was sheit.

I tried playing Ike out for real this past weekend. He's not a secondary but a tertiary character.

My Brawl chars:
Main: Zelda
Secondaries: Shota Link, Pit, Marth
Tertiaries: Ike, Peach, Meta-Knight
Quaternary: Sheik, Lucas, Squirtle (and only Squirtle :p)
Funny, Ike's kinda my tertiary character too (I guess what you mean is "a fun to use character" but not quite close to secondary). I've also considered using metanite and marth and have also used pokemon trainer. Actually I should pick up all of these lol, or at least marth/meta.

Maybe peach users are naturally drawn to simple characters that have something good you can spam, lol. Along with high priority ones, but not neccesarily precise ones.

I mean that the pics themselves were taken from some website instead of you making the Zelda-pic.
Now you just got me confused. What does the zelda-image have anything with you thinking I stole someone's sig? <_>

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now you just got me confused. What does the zelda-image have anything with you thinking I stole someone's sig? <_>
That specific shot of Zelda cropped in that exact same way. I thought you'd lifted it off a homepage where someone had already made a Zelda-banner.

Vts

Smash Champion
Girls are normaly underestimated in tournaments due to you don't think of girls play a game where its only a sausage fest.

i take everyone on with the same thing in my head ok this person will beat me if i don't play smart and cheap.

So really i play everyone (in tournaments) as gayly (is that a word?) as possible to make sure i win.

I remember playing Janet long time ago at a local tournament and she owned everyone of us and beat the best is cabot, arkansas.

so after that i don't underestimate anyone male, female, trans, 1 armed hobo, and/or feet player.

just my 2 cents (and post ;))

-peace vts

dpunkz

Smash Cadet
lol personally when i'm at a video game tournamemt of any kind, and I see a woman competitor, I hope I get matched up against her just because she's a girl...

Samochan

Smash Master
totally depends how the girl looks....pink and girly?
i'd be willing to bet my life on the match
bad ***, tattoo-y, or just nerdy, and i'll take her seriously
Rofl

At least I don't judge the players on how they look but how they play. This petite girl over here would bet her life that she would win the match if you were to underestimate her cause of her looks :laugh:

Even amsah has fallen to the mighty bomb spike, literally.:lick:

Tnt726

Smash Cadet
yes i as a male under estimate a women in BRAWL (only that, wemon deserve equality and respect in everything else of course!)

but ever female i have been paired against to play, i have... DESTROYED. not to brag, tho my brawl skills are very good.

as long as you have skill you might be able to suprise a male and take him off gaurd causing him to become nervous, thus losing.

i hope this helped ^.^

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I want to see a really fierce chick in a nice skirt and cute top and maybe even some foxxy heels come to a tourney and bone the competition.
HBIC ftw.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
it depends i guess in a way how they look. if they have like the latest fashion clothes and all that accessory stuff, then it tells me they look like they have no idea why their here. but if they wearing normal stuff, like a t-shirt and pants and know some technical terms, then it wont matter to me. just another fellow smash player.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I want to see a really fierce chick in a nice skirt and cute top and maybe even some foxxy heels come to a tourney and bone the competition.
HBIC ftw.
I'm sure you would.

They way someone looks shouldn't matter. I'm going to go to a tournament in a 3 piece suit just so everyone underestimates me.

I played 3 girls in Smash EVER I believe. 1 I wrecked because it was her second time playing so yeah....

The other one I believe was about 50-50.

The other was in a tournament and I lost. The matches were CLOSE but I lost.

You don't underestimate anyone. I don't care if they are a 5 year old girl with one arm. In a wheelchair.

Don't underestimate them.

it depends i guess in a way how they look. if they have like the latest fashion clothes and all that accessory stuff, then it tells me they look like they have no idea why their here.
Yeah. Cause smashers NEVER care about their looks.

~L~

Smash Cadet
I'm sure you would.

They way someone looks shouldn't matter. I'm going to go to a tournament in a 3 piece suit just so everyone underestimates me.

I played 3 girls in Smash EVER I believe. 1 I wrecked because it was her second time playing so yeah....

The other one I believe was about 50-50.

The other was in a tournament and I lost. The matches were CLOSE but I lost.

You don't underestimate anyone. I don't care if they are a 5 year old girl with one arm. In a wheelchair.

Don't underestimate them.

Yeah. Cause smashers NEVER care about their looks.

Sadly,the reality is that,what is true and what should be true are usually completly different ideals.

I've never been to a tournament myself but,I can deduct from what I've read in this thread and this whole forum....that yes,the majority seem to underestimate females in a tournament. They are a minority,and even after all these decades,some males just see them as "lesser" in one degree or another.

But the fact is anyone can excell if they apply themself. you should never underestimate anyone. Because someday,it could very well be your downfall.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
It's a a question I am honestly curious about? I want honesty too. Im a female smasher going into my hopefully my first tourney. I want to know since the community is largely dominated by men if they think that way. Im curious of the basic mentality of a tournement?
Im assuming if men do under estimate me I can get a good edge over my competition but that might not be the case. So help would be nice.
Well, usually, I don't see girls as being as hard core gamers as guys, but you can do just as good as anyone, and win like anyone.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hehe, I take all my opponents seriously. If anything, not just in smash, women are just as capable as anybody else is at anything.

Edit: You must have a different reason for attending a tournament and not give it your all every fight for any reason whatsoever.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do people underestimate gay guys who are kinda effeminate and who look androgynous/like a girl? I really want them to because that'd make my victories all the sweeter (just in the past 5 days, I made more than 600 dollars off of tournaments in various fighting game).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Why is this thread still alive?

I don't reeeally think anybody would think less of a player because of their gender. This thread might tell you otherwise, but most people would see the thread title, roll their eyes, and move on. Plus half of it is sarcasm I'm sure.

Do people underestimate gay guys who are kinda effeminate and who look androgynous/like a girl?
I don't because he was the New Zealand Melee Champ til he came to my country : )

Zema

Smash Journeyman
...cause more boys videogames than girls....

(duh)
I think you meant to say ''Because more boys play videogames than girls. (obviously)''. Not necessarily an excuse for underestimating a woman. Underestimating women is much like racism, yet it never seemed like such a big deal to anyone. Why do we have trouble insulting people of different genders yet we have such less difficulty insulting women? Because we underestimate them.

I underestimate women lots of times.
Are you proud of that?

Top Bottom