• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but maybe I miss interpreted you but you post seem to be less about women in general and more about you and your game. Its like your welcome to smashboards thread but you moved it to this thread. Even the few comments for women have been some how focused on you. The thing I did see was you watching your self with your last post there. Im all for girl power but I didnt make this thread to read about you, unless your a significant female brawler.

Samochan

Smash Master
Also I think it's even harder to get noticed as a smasher when ur a guy, only because there are a lot more male smashers to begin with, and all the top pros are males.
But when you do get recognition, it's only because of your skill, not because you have boobies. <_< It might be a bit easier to get recognition as a girl on smash populated areas (not elsewhere, where it's not popular)... but that's not how I want to be recogniced as a smasher. ._. No one can possibly know if a girl smashers is recogniced entirely because of her skill level or simply because she's a girl, contrary to male smashers.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
basically here's what it all boils down to in brawl:

there are not many girls in tourneys
there are not many shieks in tourneys

girls do not win tourneys.
Sheik does not win tourneys

therefore we can come to the conclusion that girls are bad at smash
therefore we can come to the conclusion that Sheik is bad at smash

does this mean that a girl isnt going to show up at a tourney and clean the table?
does this mean that a Sheik isnt going to show up at a tourney and clear the table?

Absolutely not!

Does this conclusion mean that girls will never be beat boys at smash?
Does this conclusion mean that Sheik will never beat Snake at smash?

Absolutely not!

Do either of these two senarios have a likely chance of happening?

honestly, no

because of these facts, girls will be underestimated in smash. its not just because you have a snatch and some boobies, its because of the facts that are making up the base of our knowledge about the game. its not a baseless opinion, its based on the factual reasoning that most girls arent fear-inspiring in the game, the same exact way the sheik is not fear inspiring in the game

sorry if i offended anyone(im pretty sure i have) but honestly, its just logic and facts

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It's hard to underestimate women when there are none.

The only female I've ever seen play in a tourney lost both of her matches (Double elim), and that's not a basis for any kind of opinion-forming.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I do not approve of this post! You can't just set up a scenario where the girls and guys are equal, thats not the issue in this topic. Also I think it's even harder to get noticed as a smasher when ur a guy, only because there are a lot more male smashers to begin with, and all the top pros are males.

And i'd like to say there are many jobs girls cannot do that males can do, for example firefighting.... Men are naturally stronger end of story.

I can't set up that scenario, because it's improbable such a scenario would exist down to the smallest nit. However, I'm setting up that scenario to denote randomness; whether one competitive player decides he wants to practice more and eventually becomes a top player in smash is random. However it is not independent of gender because women make up a small minority in the community, but that is the ONLY reason - unless you include that women aren't encouraged (if anything discouraged) to play games like guys are, are pressured into being "girly" in high school and if they don't are into hardcore teasing, etc, etc. There may be many factors why girls could be even rightfully underestimated in gaming, but IT IS NOT because of something happening in the brain. I really feel like I'm arguing against job discrimination in the 40s:

"Guys are naturally better at technical jobs such as being mechanics or doctors!"
"Women have talents too - being a mother and sewing and washing!"
"They just come here, get married and leave anyway! They don't take anything seriously!"
"The girls that actually do take things seriously are all butch lesbians who are more men than women, so it's not a wonder; A normal girl wouldn't have a chance!"

Yep, sounds just like it. Fortunately we can sue for taking that bull**** in the workplace now, but we have a long way to go before we can fully get rid of it - even in the developed world and this thread proves it.

Yes, men are naturally better at some strength type jobs, however that doesn't mean women can't come to par with them at all - there's a girl at my school who can pwn at arm wrestling guys (and she's not a butch muscular looking one, she's pretty, straight, and takes care of her appearance). We will try to be your equals and many will get there at those physical jobs too - saying "oh yeah, men are naturally better" is like saying an ordinary person shouldn't even try *insert job here* because there's going to be some genius at it who is naturally gifted at it. It doesn't work that way, bud! Especially not in gaming which doesn't require physical strength.
Oh yeah, and one of the reasons girls avoid going to tournaments until they're EXTREMELY GOOD is so that people don't say "girls suck at smash!" when they lose as their chances of becoming champ are the chances of anyone else's; really small.

Here's basically what I see when people say "girls suck at smash."

Replace the math with gaming and there you go. It's stupid; for example, at my international school, all the Arabs that I know of have **** grades. Do I generalize that all Arabs are bad at school? No. Do I go around saying that something in their brains make Arabs worse at school than Caucasians? No. No I don't because that would be rascist, just like how people saying "girls suck at smash because there's something in their brain that works differently" are sexist, you may not be aware of it, but you are.
I think so many people have been playing games with sexist undertones that have now warped their perception of women.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I award points for an xkcd reference

although you didn't work "no velociraptors" into that post.

I'm just glad Hillary Clinton hasn't entered this conversation yet.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I can't set up that scenario, because it's improbable such a scenario would exist down to the smallest nit. However, I'm setting up that scenario to denote randomness; whether one competitive player decides he wants to practice more and eventually becomes a top player in smash is random. However it is not independent of gender because women make up a small minority in the community, but that is the ONLY reason - unless you include that women aren't encouraged (if anything discouraged) to play games like guys are, are pressured into being "girly" in high school and if they don't are into hardcore teasing, etc, etc. There may be many factors why girls could be even rightfully underestimated in gaming, but IT IS NOT because of something happening in the brain. I really feel like I'm arguing against job discrimination in the 40s:

"Guys are naturally better at technical jobs such as being mechanics or doctors!"
"They just come here, get married and leave anyway! They don't take anything seriously!"
"The girls that actually do take things seriously are all butch lesbians who are more men than women, so it's not a wonder; A normal girl wouldn't have a chance!"

Yep, sounds just like it. Fortunately we can sue for taking that bull**** in the workplace now, but we have a long way to go before we can fully get rid of it - even in the developed world and this thread proves it.

Yes, men are naturally better at some strength type jobs, however that doesn't mean women can't come to par with them at all - there's a girl at my school who can pwn at arm wrestling guys (and she's not a butch muscular looking one, she's pretty, straight, and takes care of her appearance). We will try to be your equals and many will get there at those physical jobs too - saying "oh yeah, men are naturally better" is like saying an ordinary person shouldn't even try *insert job here* because there's going to be some genius at it who is naturally gifted at it. It doesn't work that way, bud! Especially not in gaming which doesn't require physical strength.
Oh yeah, and one of the reasons girls avoid going to tournaments until they're EXTREMELY GOOD is so that people don't say "girls suck at smash!" when they lose as their chances of becoming champ are the chances of anyone else's; really small.

Replace the math with gaming and there you go. It's stupid; for example, at my international school, all the Arabs that I know of have **** grades. Do I generalize that all Arabs are bad at school? No. Do I go around saying that something in their brains make Arabs worse at school than Caucasians? No. No I don't because that would be rascist, just like how people saying "girls suck at smash because there's something in their brain that works differently" are sexist, you may not be aware of it, but you are.
I think so many people have been playing games with sexist undertones that have now warped their perception of women.
was this aaimed at me? i would really like to know if it was

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
Is it not a problem that the woman have a smaller brain? The government scientist, Dr. Yamak, have proved it is size of ferret?

Edit: very sory about that. it was stupid and sexist. what i meant to say was that is is size of squirrel. if any females are on this board and have learned to read (or more likely a male can read this to them) then i apologise.

ps: food goes in the mouth, and water comes out of a tap. just a friendly reminder.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
It would serve you much better than me. I don't like to dilly dally on the battlefield. Beast or not, you shall fall by my destructive hand.

Edit: This is not a flame. Just thought you all should know...
Btw writing things like "fall by my destructive hand", and "You win, sweet vengeance shall be struck upon thee.", will give you some comfort in knowing that these statements make you look [silly willy] regardless of gender.

[brackets above were inserted for "sugarcoated" wording]

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Btw writing things like "fall by my destructive hand", and "You win, sweet vengeance shall be struck upon thee.", will give you some comfort in knowing that these statements make you look [silly willy] regardless of gender.

[brackets above were inserted for "sugarcoated" wording]
i dont think its silly, i think its awesome because she speaks using the tone and mannerisms of an honorable warrior. And that is a very good way to approach this game

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
i dont think its silly, i think its awesome because she speaks using the tone and mannerisms of an honorable warrior. And that is a very good way to approach this game
I'm of the mentality "to each their own" but it can make you sound like your 14. I tend to underestimate girls mainly because I've never played many good girl gamers. I've had my *** kicked by girls but majority just not much to throw me off. Also I've got a flirting problem that gets in the way too>.> I don't mean to it just happens and then I suffer the wrath of my g/f....

Glick

Smash Lord
Women are underestimated in physical sports and video games.

Its just a fact of life.
But you have to admit. The average women can't win in a game against an average man. Men play more video games on average. Therefore have more average experience.

Once you start getting competitive. It starts not to matter.

Then again we are still talking generalizations.

icewolf2249

Smash Cadet
Are women underestimated? Not really. Are non-serious players underestimated? Definitely, and no reason for them not to be.

The problem is that, most female players aren't that competitive. Every girl I know that has ever picked up a controller (I'm talking about any and all games, not even just smash) isn't nearly as serious about winning than the guys who play. Not saying that you can't find a woman who plays smash seriously and will kick your ***, but they're too few and far between. Therefore, you see a woman and you think of someone who is going to laugh throughout the match as their pikachu/jigglypuff/kirby (another common occurence: women choose cute characters waaaaay too much) gets pummeled around by her opponent.

That said, I think most smashers don't actually act on their pre-concieved notions of skill and play against everyone like the person is the best smasher in the world. At least, everyone I know does.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
It does make you sound like your 14 espically when your a 20 year old talking on the behalf of women....its annoying no wonder why we are underestimated because we are represented by women like that. Trying so hard to be honorable and create a persona ust make you look so **** fake. Maybe thats what it really comes down, to the population of women who are actually professional and the girls that what recognition for being female. I see men play tornaments for regonition between their peers. Wheres the females are more like hey im a chick playing smash look at me.

I had mention in another thread I heard outragous group names being called ove rthe intercom but one group was called "The slutty virgins." now how the hell does that look for females.If that isnt the hey look at us kind of title I've ever heard. It would seem like that would be a title for laughs but there isn't anything about that, that is really comical.

So maybe the reasoning is in what women are at these torunaments the ones that really are competitive to the ones that are just there to talk about it?

forkgirl

Smash Lord
I had mention in another thread I heard outragous group names being called ove rthe intercom but one group was called "The slutty virgins." now how the hell does that look for females.If that isnt the hey look at us kind of title I've ever heard. It would seem like that would be a title for laughs but there isn't anything about that is really comical, unless it was a group of men I would have laughed.

So maybe the reasoning is in what women are at these torunaments the ones that really are competitive to the ones that are just there to talk about it?
i'm guessing that was a group of guys...blahblahblah...my mind is all over the place right now, so i'll try to organize my thoughts

1. girls are underestimate in smash. it happens. use it to your advantage. prove that you are good, and people will stop underestimating you.

2. you were disappointed that girls might have the team name "slutty virgins" but then you said "unless it was a group of men i would have laughed." that sucks. why can a team of guys have that name? why is it wrong for girls to?? i dont think that name looks bad for girls at all. virgins are obviously not slutty. *shrug*

3. and yes i'm pretty sure there are girl gamers (in any gaming community) who just do it for the attention. (I'm definitely seeing it a LOT in brawl) But i doubt they get much attention anyway...The only girl smashers i've even heard of are known because of their skill. no one really cares about the girls that suck, even if they're hot.

4. now that i think about it, there are a lot of guys just in it for the attention too. I know of some people who seriously want nothing more than to be a famous smasher. =/ they just want the fame...dont really care about the skill it takes to get there or about the community. even some pro smashers are big attention whores, but no one cares because they're pro.

idk, guys and girls arent very different imo.

CAPTAIN Z-X2

Smash Rookie
yes im always impress when females are able to play games like this really good ive aint to have face one but i know there some out there but ur gender doesn't matter it's all about that skill

soap

Smash Hero
Well you haven't heard since finland is out there, but my tourney record thus far is 5, 3, 5.. so not too bad. :p
europeans are underestimated as well, so thats two strikes against you...

how come nihonjin never made it over here he is good

Samochan

Smash Master
europeans are underestimated as well, so thats two strikes against you...

how come nihonjin never made it over here he is good
Double the underestimation yea, but not like dudes over internet really know someone's gender or location for sure. Though I do have a fanclub over at NY lolz.

Amsah hasn't made it over to US since work comes first. He wanted to go at pound3. :< I'd also love to visit some awesome melee tourney at US if they get a big scale good tourney going, if I get a good job with good income. Then I could travel, yauhz. ^^ Then I'd definitely need to match against milktea and see which one is better. D: (and other girl smashers too :3 ) I prefer pal version though. >_>;

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Honestly, I don't know why women in general need to dwell so deep into the subject. I mean, if you feel you're underestimated or feel that you're not getting enough credit, then it's best to work harder on your goal. Remember, genders have limits, but a person's mind is limitLESS.

If you take stuff like "The Slutty Virgins" team names seriously, then it's best to try and lighten up. Things like that is not directly targeted to you or your gender. If something like "Breast Cancer Counterpicks" team name arise though, then you have every right to complain/feel insulted, cause things like that are no joke.

If they underestimate you, then surprise them with your skills. Once you beat them, they'll learn to think twice. If they John, they're just sore losers.

Now, I'm gonna leave you a video for you all (mainly the women) to watch on and to see the many accomplishments women in general made. Hopefully this will help encourage ya abit. It maynot be smash related, but this is still good to listen on

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9iNs5iG2h34

Special note to Heartz : I reccommand you talk more modern. Although i sounds....original, it's not greatly looked on. Just my .2 cents. Sorry if I've offended you

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
i'm guessing that was a group of guys...blahblahblah...my mind is all over the place right now, so i'll try to organize my thoughts

1. girls are underestimate in smash. it happens. use it to your advantage. prove that you are good, and people will stop underestimating you.

2. you were disappointed that girls might have the team name "slutty virgins" but then you said "unless it was a group of men i would have laughed." that sucks. why can a team of guys have that name? why is it wrong for girls to?? i dont think that name looks bad for girls at all. virgins are obviously not slutty. *shrug*

3. and yes i'm pretty sure there are girl gamers (in any gaming community) who just do it for the attention. (I'm definitely seeing it a LOT in brawl) But i doubt they get much attention anyway...The only girl smashers i've even heard of are known because of their skill. no one really cares about the girls that suck, even if they're hot.

4. now that i think about it, there are a lot of guys just in it for the attention too. I know of some people who seriously want nothing more than to be a famous smasher. =/ they just want the fame...dont really care about the skill it takes to get there or about the community. even some pro smashers are big attention whores, but no one cares because they're pro.

QFT

seriously, thx forkgirl, i totally agree.
if only ppl would actually read your post and absorb it

soap

Smash Hero
Double the underestimation yea, but not like dudes over internet really know someone's gender or location for sure. Though I do have a fanclub over at NY lolz.

Amsah hasn't made it over to US since work comes first. He wanted to go at pound3. :< I'd also love to visit some awesome melee tourney at US if they get a big scale good tourney going, if I get a good job with good income. Then I could travel, yauhz. ^^ Then I'd definitely need to match against milktea and see which one is better. D: (and other girl smashers too :3 ) I prefer pal version though. >_>;
i do wonder who is the best female US smasher cuz none of them place over here, u must be pretty decent to place cuz europe does have some talent.

kiwi, milktea, forkgirl, and jesse are the only decent girl smashers ive ever heard of

as far as large melee tournies... i think melee is done, but there is a big melee thing in florida this summer. if im not too busy with summer classes ima try to get down there.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I do not underestimate females (im male). In fact, it is proven by scientists that females are more suited to video games (therefore 'better' or more 'natural' with them) than males are. Anyways... I think people would underestimate females, but only if it's a 'public place'. if its a tourny, then i think people would view eachother more equally, since its a tourny, which = pro matches = usually competetive players/pro players participating.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman

Concerning #2 you are right thats why I edited I discussed it with my friends and said yeah thats ****ed up. i should rethink that part.

Whe girls call themselves slutty it not jsut refering to sex its referring to how they act and dress.It was mainly the title not helping the fact but I guess words cant influence something thats already active. Words can say alot or mean nothing at all I guess thats up to the indvidual.

All in all I agree with your post espically your 4th point.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
In response to the topic, only if they play Marth. Sounds stupid, but it's the (admittedly prejudiced) reaction I have after seeing so many rather loud fans do him little justice. However, I only don't always play my best in friendlies, in games against people who are rather obviously new to the series, or with kids, who usually don't demand I play to win.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
It's a a question I am honestly curious about? I want honesty too. Im a female smasher going into my hopefully my first tourney. I want to know since the community is largely dominated by men if they think that way. Im curious of the basic mentality of a tournement?
Im assuming if men do under estimate me I can get a good edge over my competition but that might not be the case. So help would be nice.
Yes, but chances are, if you're actually good enough of a female player to actually beat your opponent, you'd probably be known :|

Alphicans

Smash Hero

A couple of good points there, although i could make a pretty good rebuttal to that, but I think this thread has seen a lot of stupid responses, like "That makes you look like ur 14." I am not sure who the person who posted the "immature post" but it is a possibility that he is indeed 14.

P.S. In the above quote I didn't understand what the stick figure diagram's meaning was, unless you were trying to say that in society if a man fuxs up it is only a discrimination against the individual, and if it's a woman that fuxs up it's a discrimination for the whole gender. I am not sure, could u clear that up?

P.P.S. Arabs are dumb wtf, that isn't racist.

OMG S. Saying womens brain's wok differently isn't sexist either, because they do, in fact work differently.

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
It does make you sound like your 14 espically when your a 20 year old talking on the behalf of women....its annoying no wonder why we are underestimated because we are represented by women like that. Trying so hard to be honorable and create a persona ust make you look so **** fake. Maybe thats what it really comes down, to the population of women who are actually professional and the girls that what recognition for being female. I see men play tornaments for regonition between their peers. Wheres the females are more like hey im a chick playing smash look at me.

I had mention in another thread I heard outragous group names being called ove rthe intercom but one group was called "The slutty virgins." now how the hell does that look for females.If that isnt the hey look at us kind of title I've ever heard. It would seem like that would be a title for laughs but there isn't anything about that, that is really comical.

where can one meet these slutty virgins.....a friend wants to know.......?

Edit: i take that back i dont want to be called an sexist idiot by everyone on smashboards. and btw can u people get a sence of humor. you are on smashboards arguing about sexism..... your on smashboards!!! you should be making stupid comments about peach and zamus. In fact can the next poster give their opinion on peach vs zamus?

excuse my stupidy. again we are on smashboards.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
A couple of good points there, although i could make a pretty good rebuttal to that, but I think this thread has seen a lot of stupid responses, like "That makes you look like ur 14." I am not sure who the person who posted the "immature post" but it is a possibility that he is indeed 14.

P.S. In the above quote I didn't understand what the stick figure diagram's meaning was, unless you were trying to say that in society if a man fuxs up it is only a discrimination against the individual, and if it's a woman that fuxs up it's a discrimination for the whole gender. I am not sure, could u clear that up?

P.P.S. Arabs are dumb wtf, that isn't racist.

OMG S. Saying womens brain's wok differently isn't sexist either, because they do, in fact work differently.
Again I must be some kind of freak of nature because I was never like that at 14. Even at 11, I was an egalitarian and considered everyone equal until proven otherwise by the individual themselves and not by their sex, creed, colour, etc.

I was never a sexist, but at 11, I was an active egalitarian.

Maybe this is why I find some of mankind's stupid sides so staggeringly shocking, because I was never a victim of said stupidities.

Top Bottom