• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Leahdybug, you're in FL. Since I live here I know that you're surrounded by plenty of awesome smashers in general. You should probably get in contact with a few of the Brawl playing ones and set up some smashfests so you can get better and not be amongst the "underestimated woman" group. You'll be destroying and wrecking in tournaments in no time. Just dedicate yourself and you'll see.

Rampage

vx
I'd hate to make myself look like a doorknob but at my most recent tournament there was a girl that I honestly thought she could not play. I had one match with her (melee) and she took the first stock in the match. That's when I started getting a little more serious. After actually trying I ended up on top but I was very impressed by how she played. It's funny how the guys say she can't be very good but they all want to play her...LOL

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sounds good. I've been trying to look through regional threads right now get to know some people. ive met people online but I've yet to get together with anyone in a group and play.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
than i got some experience in the real world, and two years later i have altered that theory to what it is now,
"Girls cant play COMPETITIVE video games WELL"

i have this theory because until i skimmed this thread i had never seen an instance where a girl was the best in any competitive video game. i know girls that **** in other games, i know girls that did everything that i did in FFX in half the time. and i know a girl that throws combos together in devil may cry like nobody's business. but when it comes to games where you are playing right next to somebody and the objective is to kill or otherwise defeat them, i feel that there is something genetic in humans that make the male species SLIGHTLY more adept with split second thinking and decisions and therefore better at those types of games.

However....

i do NOT take girls lightly when i play them in smash, as a matter of fact, in order to defend my theory, i always play my hardest against female competitors. one time, actually, at a biweekly in rochester NY about a year ago (arena 51 biweeklies if anyone cares) i was pitted in a match against a girl who is i think considered top 5 in our area. and i beat her sheik and link pretty soundly with ganon, and everybody was really surprised when i did, cause everyone thought she was better than me. just bringing this up b/c although i would be embarassed to lose to a girl in smash, i never assume an easy win.
This post supremely pisses me off. What is this, the 1970s?
Women are less likely to become the best in a competitive video game because women are much less likely to even show up at a tournament to begin with, not because of anything else.
For example;
Say there are 20 people in a tournament of equal skill in which there are 10 girls. The chances of a girl winning the tournament are 10/20 or 1/2. Therefore that would be balanced. However, let's take a scenario where there are 20 people in a tournament of equal skill in which there is only one girl - the chances of that girl winning are reduced to 1/20. The second scenario is more representative of the general competitive smash population (if it's not closer to 1/50 or 1/100). Hence it looks like women are worse at smash and competitive gaming but the fact of the matter is is that they have to be VERY GOOD (we're talking about winning tournaments constantly) to stand out and say "hey, girls can play too!" And if they lose once everyone goes "Well, it's cause she's a girl, and girls can't be as good as guys." (Let's ignore the fact that she had beaten 30 guys prior to her first loss)

It's unfair, and reminds me of sexism 40 years ago when it came to jobs. Same thing happened; make one mistake and "Oh, women can't do *insert masculine job here.*"

If SephirothKen lost to a girl, no one would say "Oh, it's cause he's a guy" or "Guys can't be that good at Smash compared to girls," would we? :ohwell:

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Its good I get to see those women who are actual serious competitors and those that just talk. The men that underestimate them and the men who respect them.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
I live on the east coast.........never heard of you................you probably blow.

Money match?
Who are you? I might give you the pleasure of playing me. Heartz give me sometime because I am just moved into an apt and need to see if I can use someone's wii for this. Plaese aim me so I can talk to you better at sexyspictom.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I love being underestimated, the look of shock is delicious; it's practically edible. Of course, I'm underestimated because I'm gay, rather than a woman. Ah, the joys of social stigma...wait...

soap

Smash Hero
theres tons of really good gay smashers, after i played mikey lenetia a couple years ago i realized that gay dudes are good at smash

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Women are less likely to become the best in a competitive video game because women are much less likely to even show up at a tournament to begin with, not because of anything else.
For example;
Say there are 20 people in a tournament of equal skill in which there are 10 girls. The chances of a girl winning the tournament are 10/20 or 1/2. Therefore that would be balanced. However, let's take a scenario where there are 20 people in a tournament of equal skill in which there is only one girl - the chances of that girl winning are reduced to 1/20. The second scenario is more representative of the general competitive smash population (if it's not closer to 1/50 or 1/100). Hence it looks like women are worse at smash and competitive gaming but the fact of the matter is is that they have to be VERY GOOD (we're talking about winning tournaments constantly) to stand out and say "hey, girls can play too!" And if they lose once everyone goes "Well, it's cause she's a girl, and girls can't be as good as guys." (Let's ignore the fact that she had beaten 30 guys prior to her first loss)

It's unfair, and reminds me of sexism 40 years ago when it came to jobs. Same thing happened; make one mistake and "Oh, women can't do *insert masculine job here.*"

If SephirothKen lost to a girl, no one would say "Oh, it's cause he's a guy" or "Guys can't be that good at Smash compared to girls," would we? :ohwell:
That's what I was thinking... I mean girl gamers are definitely more rare than male gamers, and if there are only 1 or 2 girls showing up to tourneys then it'll definitely go into guys' favor. =/ I kinda wish more girls played videogames so that this stereotype would just die already... also I just wanna get beaten by a girl for once, I only play like 1 girl for every 10 guys I play against...

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
This is a good question because I was under the impression that heartz only played melee but if u play both heartz then we should do both.
That is seriously not a good question. Why would I speak of Melee? Melee is in the past now. How behind-the-times do you think I am, anyway? God, you assume I don't know which game I am talking about.....because I'm a girl...

And yes, those rules are fine, Vigilante. But 8 minutes won't really have no effect considering that low-stock matches are about 3 mins tops.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
He never said you didn't know what you were talking about. He just isn't familiar with you in general and thought you were a melee player.

Maybe it's just from knowing Tom and hearing him play that I find everything he's said hilarious. I can't even tell if he's actually being offensive or jost joking around.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
He never said you didn't know what you were talking about. He just isn't familiar with you in general and thought you were a melee player.

Maybe it's just from knowing Tom and hearing him play that I find everything he's said hilarious. I can't even tell if he's actually being offensive or jost joking around.
It seems you know him quite well, Ace. It matters not to me. As long as we are all on the same page.

soap

Smash Hero
**** yourself PockyD, I was what, 16? *Flicks you off.*

-Milktea on Darc's alias

PS. **** yourself.
haha funny thread, i read the first page and it said yu main roy? i guess that didnt last:laugh:

That is seriously not a good question. Why would I speak of Melee? Melee is in the past now. How behind-the-times do you think I am, anyway? God, you assume I don't know which game I am talking about.....because I'm a girl...

And yes, those rules are fine, Vigilante. But 8 minutes won't really have no effect considering that low-stock matches are about 3 mins tops.
brawl matches take like 7-8 minutes regardless of stock, and ur annoying

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Wouldn't say I know him well. But he's always been pretty chill with me and he's helped me work on my game when ever we run into each other.

And his DK really is a friggin' beast.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
haha funny thread, i read the first page and it said yu main roy? i guess that didnt last:laugh:

brawl matches take like 7-8 minutes regardless of stock, and ur annoying
Flame me all you want, but if you wish to show your true hatred toward me, then brawl me. Words me nothing to me. And I only said it wasn't a good question. My intention wasn't to verbally attack you, soap.

soap

Smash Hero
lol i will show you my true hatred...jk, i might go to that georgia thing, though prolly not, i suck at brawl btw i need to learn how to play that game

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
lol i will show you my true hatred...jk, i might go to that georgia thing, though prolly not, i suck at brawl btw i need to learn how to play that game
Oh? You are from Ohio as well? I am from Rittman. And don't come down here for a tourney. The best tourneys are so not here. lol

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman

Ok how about this we make it EVO rules just so you have a better chance.:laugh:

Thx my *****!

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
It would serve you much better than me. I don't like to dilly dally on the battlefield. Beast or not, you shall fall by my destructive hand.

Edit: This is not a flame. Just thought you all should know...

KurageWolf

Smash Rookie
Girls are freakin' awesome. My girlfriend's a girl. She's awesome in smash. My ex is a girl. She's awesome in smash too. I can't freaking beat her peach. ._. I think some guys who aren't mature think as themselves better than girls, when they can't dress themselves in the morning without their moms. Girls freakin' wear the pants in every single relationship, which keeps me in line with my girlfriend.

I'm done with my rant here. ._.

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Why does it matter? Easy answer, because their girls, always trying to get recognition in an area when no other group requires it or desires it. If you're a girl and you play smash, it gives you the advantage if you're underestimated. Accept it and move on.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Hearts no offense but if the thread dieing means you not posting anymore im all for it, im a lil tired of your banter and think it should go to pm.

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
Why does it matter? Easy answer, because their girls, always trying to get recognition in an area when no other group requires it or desires it. If you're a girl and you play smash, it gives you the advantage if you're underestimated. Accept it and move on.
i totally agree with this statement
so what if we are girls just play the game
thats the only really important thing

Alphicans

Smash Hero
For example;

I do not approve of this post! You can't just set up a scenario where the girls and guys are equal, thats not the issue in this topic. Also I think it's even harder to get noticed as a smasher when ur a guy, only because there are a lot more male smashers to begin with, and all the top pros are males.

And i'd like to say there are many jobs girls cannot do that males can do, for example firefighting.... Men are naturally stronger end of story.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
To everybody try not to voice your opinions in a blunt manner or else this thread will be closed and I don't want that. I love to trash talk and I do it to everyone I think it makes the victory even sweeter. I will be having this match this wed. coming up and hopefully the vid will be on this thread by then and then more trash talk can happen.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Hearts no offense but if the thread dieing means you not posting anymore im all for it, im a lil tired of your banter and think it should go to pm.
I failed to see my error. I beg that you run it by me. If i have offended anyone or disobeyed any rules, then I apologize. My intent wasn't to harm. Vigilante merely made a comment that I had to remark on. I wasn't flaming in any shape or form. It is just as he said, trash talk in a friendly competitive way. I do take offense to that, because there were so many ways you could have sugarcoated, Leah. What banter do you speak of? I barely said anything. And if I did say much, it wasn't meant to anger anyone. I am not the enemy here. I am no firestarter.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Girls are freakin' awesome. My girlfriend's a girl. She's awesome in smash. My ex is a girl. She's awesome in smash too. I can't freaking beat her peach. ._. I think some guys who aren't mature think as themselves better than girls, when they can't dress themselves in the morning without their moms. Girls freakin' wear the pants in every single relationship, which keeps me in line with my girlfriend.

I'm done with my rant here. ._.
Exactly. The question is "Are women underestimated in tourneys?" and in my opinion is yes they are, but they shouldn't be. I do believe I am participating in this thread appropriately.

Top Bottom