• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Hi_Im_Relaxing

Smash Apprentice
i would think females are underestimated in games like this. But i think there are a lot of amazing female smashers out there so i would think twice before thinking someone could beat a girl becuz she is a girl.

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
Hm... So far I've fought 3 females in brawl. All three of them put up more than a fierce match against me. So if anything, I'm probably going to think twice before I challenge one in a ranked match. 0_o
exactly everyone is good at brawl
no offense but its true

Zodiac

Smash Master
im pretty sure I posted in this thread last year, or one just like it but. I've never played a girl that was good at smash, not even the girls that were serious about it. But that just means that, I've never played any girls that were good at smash.

The only female smashers I can think of right now that play on a pro level are Milktea and Dyna Dash(Dash has been retired for like ever though). I'm not sure if Emmy is pro but last I checked she was a descent smasher. I know theres one or two zelda players that im missing to mention right now.

but yes, women, you get underestimated in tournaments only until you prove your good.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
If you consider milktea as a good smasher then you need your eyes checked because she sucks. I thought emmy was a better player than milktea.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
If you consider milktea as a good smasher then you need your eyes checked because she sucks. I thought emmy was a better player than milktea.
And you are the grand authority on who's good and who isn't why? Milktea would probably beat you so don't talk till you've proven otherwise.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
women are underestimated in video games in general. even girls taking college courses on game development get unnecessarily harassed (a friend, lol). yea, it's not just at smash. ;o

Meta_Master

Smash Cadet
"Are women underestimated" In my opinion, yes. I do think Women are underestimated. However, me being a male and a very competetive player when it comes to games like this, would never underestimate ANYONE. =/ The reason I believe women are underestimated is because a typical male will either A. assume the female is not competitive or B. Think that the girl sucks at videogames.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
And you are the grand authority on who's good and who isn't why? Milktea would probably beat you so don't talk till you've proven otherwise.
I have played and beaten milktea you can even ask her. I still say she is garbage but last time I played her she did better but still didn't beat me.

The reason why she placed well in teams is because she had PC on her side anybody else she wouldn't of placed well.

Samochan

Smash Master
I have played and beaten milktea you can even ask her. I still say she is garbage but last time I played her she did better but still didn't beat me.

The reason why she placed well in teams is because she had PC on her side anybody else she wouldn't of placed well.
And this is where your reasoning fails completely. On teams you cannot just have 1 person doing all the work, you need to have your partner assisting you all the times. Some people are better in teams this way, cause their syenergy works and their playstyle suits teams better. If milktea were complete garbage, you would not see pc ever teaming up with her and winning teams, it's simply not possible if your teampartner sucks. I have plenty of proof how teams either work out or simply fail because of one player.

And are you speaking of brawl or melee? >_>

Samochan

Smash Master
i think its entirely possible for one person to carry a team and go far
Against the really good players? I doubt.

The spanish dudes overtriforce and his buddy won over captain jack and masashi at esa2, out of nowhere. Then went and won teams over some other amazing european players. First european tournament for them (mind you, not their first tourney, they went to pound3).

I kinda doubt such feat could have been done if either person was garbage on teams or as a player.

Also another example... fuzzyness, one of the better players in europe teamed up with another player who was decent and by skill level they could have done pretty good since fuzzyness is good in teams... but his teammate was totally garbage on teams. Did not help him out, hit him many times with missiles and charge shots and did not fill out his role as a stock tank but died even earlier than fuzzyness. So they placed pretty badly compared to their skill level.

Having a weak player on your team exposes your team to many hazards the opposing team presents. Not only this weak player has 4 stocks, they also die quickly and cannot assist you because if they do, they frequently get pounded by the better players and get ko'ed in the process, while the other player has their hands full with the other team member and in many cases both, because the other team decides to gang on you since your teammate is not helping and is too poor to even be considered as a threat. That seems like a serious disadvantage to me, to be on 1vs2 situation most of the time.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Against the really good players? I doubt.

The spanish dudes overtriforce and his buddy won over captain jack and masashi at esa2, out of nowhere. Then went and won teams over some other amazing european players. First european tournament for them (mind you, not their first tourney, they went to pound3).

I kinda doubt such feat could have been done if either person was garbage on teams or as a player.

Also another example... fuzzyness, one of the better players in europe teamed up with another player who was decent and by skill level they could have done pretty good since fuzzyness is good in teams... but his teammate was totally garbage on teams. Did not help him out, hit him many times with missiles and charge shots and did not fill out his role as a stock tank but died even earlier than fuzzyness. So they placed pretty badly compared to their skill level.

Having a weak player on your team exposes your team to many hazards the opposing team presents. Not only this weak player has 4 stocks, they also die quickly and cannot assist you because if they do, they frequently get pounded by the better players and get ko'ed in the process, while the other player has their hands full with the other team member and in many cases both, because the other team decides to gang on you since your teammate is not helping and is too poor to even be considered as a threat. That seems like a serious disadvantage to me, to be on 1vs2 situation most of the time.
QFT.

I mean, seriously. Who wants to team with GA's Worst Sheik? I'm bound to hit my teammate with tilt-to-f air combos than the other guy.

What? Was that not a good enough example?

Smooth Criminal

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
And this is where your reasoning fails completely. On teams you cannot just have 1 person doing all the work, you need to have your partner assisting you all the times. Some people are better in teams this way, cause their syenergy works and their playstyle suits teams better. If milktea were complete garbage, you would not see pc ever teaming up with her and winning teams, it's simply not possible if your teampartner sucks. I have plenty of proof how teams either work out or simply fail because of one player.

And are you speaking of brawl or melee? >_>
Melee because PC teamed up with milktea when they were going out. lol

When did they win teams because I never recall them ever winning together. I played PC and milktea when I was teamed up with solar from maine and PC did most of the work. I played them at CAT 2 I think.

To Heartz- Are you still up for our match tomorrow in brawl at 8pm? Tourney rules and winner gets a whole lot of bragging rights. If you have aim my sn is sexyspictom.

Samochan

Smash Master
Melee because PC teamed up with milktea when they were going out. lol

When did they win teams because I never recall them ever winning together. I played PC and milktea when I was teamed up with solar from maine and PC did most of the work. I played them at CAT 2 I think.

To Heartz- Are you still up for our match tomorrow in brawl at 8pm? Tourney rules and winner gets a whole lot of bragging rights. If you have aim my sn is sexyspictom.
I was talking about in which game you won over milktea.

And I remember this one tourney they did win and others they've gotten to top 3, but I cannot recall exact names.

And of course pc does the most work, he plays offensive characters and he's better than milktea. :p Peach on teams is all about building damage, assisting teammate, surviving and edgeguarding. Not forgetting turnip harrasing if you can do it right.

The fact remains though, that if a person is garbage on teams, the team fails completely, no matter how good the other teammate is. Along with that even if both players do not singularily match the opposing team in skill, they can come out on top simply via their teamwork. Team syenergy is really important in team matches, sometimes your team works out like a dream from the start and sometimes it doesn't even if you cry a river about it. It helps a lot if people play together and against each other.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I am beginning to wonder if Woman being known as inferior in copmetive gaming is due to the fact that they lack things like reaction time etc etc..or just the fact that they overall arent as committed to the game as much as the man.

I do believe that if a female put the exact same amount of work in melee as Mew2king did that they would be just as good or even better.(ok im not saying m2k has not talent so i'll say "ALMOST AS GOOD AS M2K")

I wont assume inferiority in females but rather question the average females conviction compared to the average males. I see this as a decent foundation for someone willing to put forth a study.

RATED

Smash Lord
about women being understimated in gaming and tournaments for me that's a NO, a women is always more dangerous than a man in gaming for a male , I am a male, but if u check and ask about women's way of thinking, that's makes her's mindgames very diferrents from male's mindgames that's something that is really dangerous. and caution with women in halo they kick

nuro

Smash Lord
Vigiliante is coming over my place tomorrow (today) to play heartz via wifi.

I don't usually talk in threads like these but just wanted to say something. You guys are analyzing this way too much. Who cares how good girls are. In the end we all just play the game regardless of gender. That's just how it is.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
yeah women are underestimated because people dont expect many women to play brawl

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I don't usually talk in threads like these but just wanted to say something. You guys are analyzing this way too much. Who cares how good girls are. In the end we all just play the game regardless of gender. That's just how it is.
EXACTLY!

And personally I feel if you go in the smash scene treating yourself like a smasher rather than by gender you will be respected and treated the same regardless.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
Vigiliante is coming over my place tomorrow (today) to play heartz via wifi.

Nuro guess what she backed out of the match today but I'm still considering going to parlnocks anyways. I'm too manly for any girl in this scene because I own every single one of them in BRAWL AND MELEE!:laugh:

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Women are underestimated in physical sports and video games.

Its just a fact of life.
But you have to admit. The average women can't win in a game against an average man. Men play more video games on average. Therefore have more average experience.

Once you start getting competitive. It starts not to matter.
And that's fine. I acknowledge that women are less likely to get into gaming, much less serious gaming, because it's true. My only beef is with the whole "men have better reflexes/better brains at handling gaming" ****.

P.S. In the above quote I didn't understand what the stick figure diagram's meaning was, unless you were trying to say that in society if a man fuxs up it is only a discrimination against the individual, and if it's a woman that fuxs up it's a discrimination for the whole gender. I am not sure, could u clear that up?

OMG S. Saying womens brain's wok differently isn't sexist either, because they do, in fact work differently.
Yes, I do mean that.

As for the women's brain thing; yes it does. Men can't connect both halves of their brain well, while women are better at it because of the larger corpus callossum. Men have larger brains instead to make up for it.

Let me repeat this again;
I admit that women are less likely to get seriously into gaming or to even start at gaming. HOWEVER, my only problem is the sexism surrounding the whole "men have better reflexes/women don't have the physically structured brains for gaming" fiasco, along with the whole "women suck at gaming."

Samochan

Smash Master
Nuro guess what she backed out of the match today but I'm still considering going to parlnocks anyways. I'm too manly for any girl in this scene because I own every single one of them in BRAWL AND MELEE!:laugh:
Shame you haven't played my peach on melee then. :p It would be too womanly for you keke.

It's arrogant though to state outright you own every single one of them when you prolly haven't met the best ones, like Fumi and that girl smasher from Australia. >_>

But anyways, keep your eyes open for our crew combo video though. ;o

ParlNock

Smash Apprentice
Shame you haven't played my peach on melee then. :p It would be too womanly for you keke.

It's arrogant though to state outright you own every single one of them when you prolly haven't met the best ones, like Fumi and that girl smasher from Australia. >_>

This is Vigiliante on Parlnocks name- Do you realize that I talk trash to everybody and that gender doesn't mean anything to me. I treat everybody equally plain and simple.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

I thought Fumi was a guy. Then again, I've never seen anyone discuss their gender.

Kupo is the name of the "girl Smasher from Australia".

Samochan

Smash Master
What about brawl do you play that or are you one of those haters on brawl.
Nah, I don't own any console. Just my trusty gc controller.

I always visit my friends when I want to play some melee, my city happens to have the best player in finland and bunch of others really talented players and loads of potential players, so this is a good training and breeding ground lol. One of them near me also has brawl, but I just like melee moar so I don't invest much time into it, not to mention I don't like online lag half across the world rofl. Ike beasted on teams against my chilean buddy's chilean friends though. :laugh: I don't mind brawl much though, I don't like some of it's aspects like the way they made mah peach and the freedom of movement I feel it's lacking compared to melee, but I don't hate it. Just like melee moar. :3

dot_eater

Smash Ace
fumi's a guy!?????!!!!!!

on a side note, i wonder if anyone has ever played melee competively and liked brawl better? cause i can't find anyone like that. most of the brawl supporters seem to be coming from new people judging on their SWF join date

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
fumi's a guy!?????!!!!!!

on a side note, i wonder if anyone has ever played melee competively and liked brawl better? cause i can't find anyone like that. most of the brawl supporters seem to be coming from new people judging on their SWF join date
I'm one who has played melee competively and LOVE brawl more than melee. Melee is too broken compared to brawl and in melee you could only really win with 4 characters which everybody already knows who they are. In brawl it seems more balanced and it's easy to pick up. The fact that you have to go all out on everybody instead of a select few makes the game more exciting.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm one who has played melee competively and LOVE brawl more than melee. Melee is too broken compared to brawl and in melee you could only really win with 4 characters which everybody already knows who they are. In brawl it seems more balanced and it's easy to pick up. The fact that you have to go all out on everybody instead of a select few makes the game more exciting.
Wrong, wrong, wrong and, shock, wrong again. The only thing in this post that wasn't horribly wrong was "I'm one who has played melee competively and LOVE brawl more than melee" because that's your opinion.

The rest are easily proven wrong. So, apparently, you know nothing about Competitive Melee or Brawl.

Top Bottom