• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
This is a sexist society. Of course they're underestimated.

The stereotype that girls don't play video games doesn't help either.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
I'd think people do underestimate them, since you normally come across more 'Pro' Male gamers than Female. You shouldn't really underestimate them because they could be just as good as yourself.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I'm gonna go against what most people here are saying, and say no, I don't underestimate the girls. I usually underestimate the guys a lot more.

The way I see it, there are about a million guys who play Brawl "competitively," and half of them (including me sometimes :dizzy:) aren't all that good. When I'm playing against a guy, there's a good chance that he's just some random scrub, simply because of how many there are out there. Guys are just expected to like and play competitive games whether they're good at them or not.

Girls, on the other hand, are few and far between. If a girl has the dedication to go against the sterotype, play a game, drive out to a tourney full of gamers, and pay money to enter a tournament, I figure she's GOT to know what she's doing! :lick: And be good at the game

I mean, just reading this topic there's a lot of "I've only seen a few girls at tournies before, but they owned me."
How many guys have you seen at tournies? A ton. And how many of them owned? Maybe a small fraction of them.

All the girls I've seen at tournies have owned, too.

So that's what I say. Most girls who actually play Smash, know what they're doing and are **** GOOD! Overestimate them!

This, except replace Brawl with Melee. =P

O.T.L

Smash Apprentice
I've only run into a few that are actually good, take that handful from the handful of girls that even play and we have a small percentage.

Oracle

Smash Master
I like the fact that all the people who simply say "ur a woman lololol go men" are all noobs and have like 10 posts.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I like the fact that all the people who simply say "ur a woman lololol go men" are all noobs and have like 10 posts.
Heh. True. A bunch of children that think they know what they are talking about.

I am the only female brawl tourney goer in my county. Guys are like "OMG a girl. Crush her" but when I two stock their Metaknight or Snake they are like "w/e I was toying with you anyway" and I am like "You just lost a tourney for toying with me, noob". lol

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
^ 'ur a woman lololol go men'

:p

But I wish I could find some girls who are good at games. So far, the ones I met have no clue what they're doing. And they select Pikachu, Jigglypuff, or any cute character because they're cute.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
^ 'ur a woman lololol go men'

:p

But I wish I could find some girls who are good at games. So far, the ones I met have no clue what they're doing. And they select Pikachu, Jigglypuff, or any cute character because they're cute.
Well, I am Wii-less. But you should challenge my friend ~Kawaii Bunny~. She and I are on the same skill level. She mains Kirby. I advice you NOT to underestimate her. I main cuties too but I know what I am doing

zbomb

Smash Rookie
Well most guys will probably underestimate you.
i personally dont underestimate my girlfriend.
she has some pretty good skills with marth.
<777

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
Well, tbh I also think that people underestimate women. However now I think that they are getting recognized. I read this article saying that 40% of gamers are now women. Read it in Gamepro but idk if its true.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Well most guys will probably underestimate you.
i personally dont underestimate my girlfriend.
she has some pretty good skills with marth.
<777
Aww. Well, if Marth was any more feminine, it would be HIM being underestimated.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
They made him effeminate because if he where more manly people would only play Marth.
He hides his manliness under his tiara, it's true! http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173274

But yeah, all the female smash players I know are amazing. Like this one girl name Marin who mains peach. I'm actually always a little scared when I fight her. I'm so glad Marth>Peach, or she'd probably knock me out of the tournament (though Exarch does that pretty well with his Marth or Shiek, or even Peach sometimes.>.<)

Seriously, I respect female gamers more than I do males, because 99% of the scrubs I run into are guys.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
Girls and Smash

This reminds me of a funny story actually: My old boss once told me "Dude, if you ever find a girl that can beat you at that game of yours, you ask her to marry her right there. That's how I met my wife and we're goin' on eight years." His game was Madden, and mine is Smash Bros.

And I am still single to this day.;)

Irow

Smash Ace
Wow. That's a funny story.

But anyway, yeah women are normally underestimated in tourneys... that's just society, but that doesn't make it right.

On the other hand, you can use it to your advantage to **** them hella hard.

Personally, it makes no difference to me. Women I've seen at tournies happen to be a lot more friendly than most of the guys at tournies, and that's the only difference I see.

Samochan

Smash Master
On the other hand, you can use it to your advantage to **** them hella hard.
And get all the attention one needs when you pwn hella hard. :D

Everyone in tournament seem to suddenly know if you 4stock someone who is know (even if they're not even good lol) xD

Then many come ask and play casuals with you. D: Then you pwn em all as well and gain fame, sweet! And make sure you at least 2 stock one of the best players in the tournament too which has gathered players from entire continent, on melee.

That gets you both all the attention you need and people stop underestimating you, especially if you're the only girl smasher around. They cannot confuse you for anyone else. ^^

Lykkeliten

Smash Rookie
It depends...

Yes people underestimate girls.

No, it's not enough to make you win unless you have some skill backing you up.

People don't underestimate me as much now that I've been part of the community for a while. Except for noobs, who don't count anyway.
You shall not underestimate noobs!

Owwwait, we're noobs:urg:

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I have never been underestimated alot on Smash sites, only at tourneys. It depends on the approach. If it is in a thread such as this, yea, noobs and chauvinists are more likely to say something like "Get back in the kitchen" and then leave to avoid what I call "Verbal Pwnage". But a few of guys are cool. And lmao @ the Martha tiara post.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
To Heartz: You DO realize that majority of the people who put "get back in the kitchen" are joking? That's what I find hilarious about female gamers, they get offended at everything. If you don't go around announcing your gender you will be generally more accepted. Certain ppl need to just get over themselves.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
@ crismas. You obviously lack the knowledge of what a joke is. If I said to a black person "get at the back of the bus" I would be safe because I am joking, right? Wrong. A joke can be for the lulz to whomever thinks it is funny. And it isnt exactly hilarious. Where the hell is the "jk" or "lol" or "jp"? This is the interweb. You cant tell offense from jokes. Duh.

Edit: I never announced my gender. It is pretty obvious, even to the dense. You need to get over yourself. "jk"

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
lol weren't you the one who had "I am a femme fatale brawler" in your sig once?

And maybe I'm just not offended so easily by comments made about gender on the internets, has nothing to do with "knowledge". SERIOUS BUSINESS!

I mean did you seriously expect someone to NOT say something to that nature in a thread like this? People make comments about things that they know will get someones goat. Some of the ppl who commented like that in this thread were ppl I knew, they said it obviously because of the nature of the way people were commenting. It's like the more you egg someone on, the more they continue. Nuff said.

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
Im curious of the basic mentality of a tournement?
no good tourny player will underestimate anyone, they will play their best no matter what, even if you are 80 yo & have alsymers

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
It's like the more you egg someone on, the more they continue. Nuff said.
Eggzactly. So shut your pie hole. lol. You attacked MY comment. I was innocent. Of course, there is always that ONE guy that wants to destroy others' logic while his stands strong. And most guys don't even know what femme fatale means. I could have just put " I am a girl brawler. Let's FIGHT!" But no. I am not one to be so elated.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
To Heartz: You DO realize that majority of the people who put "get back in the kitchen" are joking? That's what I find hilarious about female gamers, they get offended at everything. If you don't go around announcing your gender you will be generally more accepted. Certain ppl need to just get over themselves.
I was not attacking anyone, I was simply stating my observations :)

Yeah, suuuuuuure you weren't. :dizzy:

Aesir

Smash Master
Don't be all sensitive.

. If it is in a thread such as this, yea, noobs and chauvinists are more likely to say something like "Get back in the kitchen" and then leave to avoid what I call "Verbal Pwnage".
Right, see this is what's wrong with people they take a seemingly joking comment and blow it out of proportion.

and your analogy on black people fails. In terms of woman suffrage and African American suffrage it's no contest they suffered far more then woman had to in the united states.

Ya know the whole slavery thing and segregation thing kinda kills your argument.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Don't be all sensitive.

Right, see this is what's wrong with people they take a seemingly joking comment and blow it out of proportion.

and your analogy on black people fails. In terms of woman suffrage and African American suffrage it's no contest they suffered far more then woman had to in the united states.

Ya know the whole slavery thing and segregation thing kinda kills your argument.
Actually, I wasn't comparing sexism with racism. I never stated that once. But in the end, offense is offense. Black people were given much more pain than women, I am aware of that, Aesir.

Edit: As I said, nobody can tell if it is a joke if they don't state that it is. That is why we have "jk". ANYWAY, back on topic with tourneys and such.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Actually, I wasn't comparing sexism with racism. I never stated that once. But in the end, offense is offense. Black people were given much more pain than women, I am aware of that, Aesir.

Edit: As I said, nobody can tell if it is a joke if they don't state that it is. That is why we have "jk". ANYWAY, back on topic with tourneys and such.

Get back in the kitchen Dark Peach

jk

dark

jk

pockyD

Smash Legend
yes, let's end women's suffrage, and suffrage for all minorities while we're at it

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Don't be all sensitive.

Listen to this person, they know what they're talking about. I'm serious.

Aesir

Smash Master
yes, let's end women's suffrage, and suffrage for all minorities while we're at it
LOL screw you, I figured I was using the wrong word. But I'm fairly certain you knew what I was talking about.
Then why did you bring up the black scenario? if you weren't trying to compare why even bring it up at all? you're not making a whole lot of sense right now.

I'm guessing you probably saw my post, since mine was really the only one that used the kitchen phrase. You probably only saw the kitchen phrase and got offended without really reading the post.

Aesir said:
Clearly woman can't play smash, playing smash requires leaving the kitchen. We all know they never do that, I mean seriously...

seriously.....
I mean I can't see how you can take this seriously. Like at all, it really makes no sense.

anyone with a brain would have seen that was a satire/sarcasm.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'm guessing you probably saw my post, since mine was really the only one that used the kitchen phrase. You probably only saw the kitchen phrase and got offended without really reading the post.
LOL I wonder if she caught the tags in this thread too. I miss them...

EVERYONE BE OFFENDED!!!!!

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Aesir, it has been dropped.
Light, I am not Dark Peach.
Tyrant, it is quite hilarious.
Woopy, you have nothing else to do because I posted that months ago.
Everyone, I do not really care much anymore. Say what you will, but please do not attack my opinions, because they are just mere "unoffending" opinions. Besides, I have nothing else to say since I seem to be an open target. I'm done with this silly thread.

Crismas, nice avatar[/randomness]

Top Bottom