• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Gender shouldn't matter at all. Female gamers can be just as good at Smash, even video games in general. I just don't know a female that's a gamer, though.

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
YEah there prolly underrated by a lot of ppl, since guys get obssessive easily... and so on and so forth. But not by that much, if anything, ppl will be afraid to be beat by a girl more than underestimating them. Plus if a girl loses, one more room full of people agree with the stereotype.

andrewg

Smash Apprentice
My GF was pretty good at smash. She didn't want to play competitively though. I sitll taught her how to wavedash though. She picked up on it so quickly!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
:D I've been owned by a girl gamer who is 12 (I'm 13). Dumb Falco..... I didn't underestimate her at all. I started with Fox. No Link against Falco. That's a fricken nightmare. O_o

On topic, that pic up there is fail. So here's my counter.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Are women underestimated in tourneys?
Yes. In gaming (and most... not all things in general) something that is different from the majority is underestimated. Like seeing someone at a Melee tournament who mains Yoshi. That player is then underestimated. In both cases, the judgments are made at first glance without seeing the players' skill beforehand.

Should women be underestimated?
No, that's all there is to it.

Should anyone be underestimated?
No, assuming someone is bad at anything is never good.

Ladies, play and win the games.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Before I used to hold on a little against girls, but after continously play against a friend's sister, and cousins (Who are both skilled at Melee, still beginning at Brawl) on tournaments I sort of get used to it, eventhough sometimes I still feel bad since the cousin gets mad at me... d >_>b...

I very much go all out on the first match and depending how it goes I go a little easier on the next one XD (Now I reckon that this applies more to some other players than girls, actually).

IMO

Yeah girls are underestimated in Tournaments... around here currently is hard to see someone going easy on a woman... since there are some female smashers around here lately...

-__-

Smash Ace
Girls are underestimated because not enough girls enter a competative community and rank high to be known. Guyz naturally think of themselves as superior. I once got beat in tourny by a girl peach player when i started. After that day everyone to me is as anyone else cause you never know what kind of potential anyone has nowadays and if you think too highly of someone, their status will make you nervous or just want to quit. So really expect to be treated or degraded since your a women. But once you beat them, feel free to talk as much trash as you possibly can cause trash talk from a girl is a lot worse then any random trash talk because of how guyz would view a girl playing ;)

-__-

Smash Ace
That peach player was you Crismas >.> i wonder if you still remember how long ago that was XD. even tho we played maad times i still got nervous when i was playing you lmao

im bored im thinkin of spamming here too x_x

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
That peach player was you Crismas >.> i wonder if you still remember how long ago that was XD. even tho we played maad times i still got nervous when i was playing you lmao

im bored im thinkin of spamming here too x_x
Yes I do remember that. XD!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
this is so true, really it is, as far as I know, all girl gamers i've met never seem to know how to set-up a VG system.

as for Tourney's I realy can't say because of all my Tourney experience, i've never actaully seen a girl participate in one, just attend, but it would be nice to go up against a really good female smasher one day

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Haven't encountered a girl gamer at a tournament. Plenty of my friends that are girls say they're "good" but get it handed to them. Thus why i'm going to invent strip brawl >>

and make them get back to the kitchen :)

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
It depends...

Yes people underestimate girls.

No, it's not enough to make you win unless you have some skill backing you up.

People don't underestimate me as much now that I've been part of the community for a while. Except for noobs, who don't count anyway.
Agreed. Just tear the competition apart. And they won't doubt you.

ook

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go against what most people here are saying, and say no, I don't underestimate the girls. I usually underestimate the guys a lot more.

The way I see it, there are about a million guys who play Brawl "competitively," and half of them (including me sometimes :dizzy:) aren't all that good. When I'm playing against a guy, there's a good chance that he's just some random scrub, simply because of how many there are out there. Guys are just expected to like and play competitive games whether they're good at them or not.

Girls, on the other hand, are few and far between. If a girl has the dedication to go against the sterotype, play a game, drive out to a tourney full of gamers, and pay money to enter a tournament, I figure she's GOT to know what she's doing! :lick: And be good at the game

I mean, just reading this topic there's a lot of "I've only seen a few girls at tournies before, but they owned me."
How many guys have you seen at tournies? A ton. And how many of them owned? Maybe a small fraction of them.

All the girls I've seen at tournies have owned, too.

So that's what I say. Most girls who actually play Smash, know what they're doing and are **** GOOD! Overestimate them!

True Fool

Smash Ace
I have seen female players who do nothing but charge Luigi's forward-B. I have seen male players who stand in the middle of the stage down-smashing as Link. Ignorance and stupidity are genderless in the world of competitive smash. Always go into the match with the mindset of making money.

I will not go easy on female players. Guys who do go easy on female players usually think they're going to somehow win the other player over, ending their 17 year streak of being girlfriend free. You don't enter a tourney to pick up girls, you enter to win money and prove how manly(manly being a genderless word when it comes to smash) you are XD

It's discrimination I say. I wouldn't want someone to drop a match for me because I happen to be the minority in the building.

I enjoyed above post. 10 of the 50 male players are good while 4 of the 5 female players are good. 1/5 vs 4/5. It's cool cause it's true.

Wife

Smash Lord
The best girl I've ever seen play Melee was Emily from Australia. What ever happened to her? I remember when she double eliminated Husband at SAIV. LOL!!

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
They'll underestimate you, but they also won't hold back. There isn't much point in stepping down your game just because you're not expecting a tough match. The best way to take advantage of their lowered expectations is to pretend you don't know anything advanced, use basic evasive maneuvers, then throw something out there when they lower their guard.

I'd still recommend just playing like you always do though because you aren't likely to get much slack.

Oracle

Smash Master
Yes
Besides, there are no tournaments in kitchens
Jokes aside, yeah, they are a little underestimated, but that should give them a alight advantage.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Of course they are, but they're such a rare sight that it's safe to say it's not just because of chauvanistic men, though they're there too.

Toon Kink

Smash Rookie
women don't play enough video games to be as good at them as men. it's just how they live; men will always have a genetic advantage, as such.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
A genetic advantage in video games. Listen, this isnt about which gender is more superior. The purpose of the thread is to ask are women underestimated in tourneys. Give a yes or a no and explain why. There is no need for chauvinistic comments. Women do not play games as much as men. That is why they are. Take note that not all men play games so this "genetic advantage" has no effect.

Top Bottom