• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

BebopBrawler

Smash Rookie
I have searched around and haven't found anything specific about this but here is my question. I know that the best way to learn ZSS tether length is to just practice it but it might be helpful to have like a list of reference points for max lengths on different stages or something like that. I was wondering if there is already a thread or a video about this. It would also help learn a little more about how the tether works on Norfair for example. I dunno just thought I would bring it up.

Adapt

Smash Lord
is smashscribble the only place with ZSS's frame data cause the link doesn't work for me ~_~;; so uh..

I want to know what is the frame data for ZSS's side b and down smash. (including ending lag)
I don't have everything, but here is what frame data I do have: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178317

I do not know how long each hitbox lasts, but I know that side-B tipped lasts for a number of frames

Ankoku did an interesting analysis on d-smash in this topic (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213807) that you might find interesting. It has much more data than I do.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't have everything, but here is what frame data I do have: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178317

I do not know how long each hitbox lasts, but I know that side-B tipped lasts for a number of frames

Ankoku did an interesting analysis on d-smash in this topic (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213807) that you might find interesting. It has much more data than I do.
I see, thanks for that, and the thread Ankoku made was just what i was looking for :D

crewster

Smash Lord
I've got a question:

I was playing ZSS on FD the other day and I found a infinite. What yo do is two dsmashes then upb then two dsmashes then upb and so on. Is this known? Is is infinite?

risemix

Smash Apprentice
Aw, don't be so mean. It is pretty funny that this question seems to get asked like every day though. :p

risemix

Smash Apprentice
While I'm here:

So I played a few friends recently and they are very impressed with how much I've improved, 2- and 3-stocking the locals most of the time. I've got a great handle on the basics and now I'm getting into the nitty gritty.

I'm having a lot of trouble with approaches because it seems like our only viable one is the dash attack. I absolutely abuse it, which is awful. Once every few matches or so, I'll use down-b as an approach, but that has to be rare or it starts to get predictable (and really, if I do it at the wrong time, it's slow enough they'll see it coming anyway).

After watching a little Claw and Snakeee, it seems like the good players hope they'll just come to you and you can punish them for it. However in some cases this just isn't possible (Lucas, for example) so you've got to go in.

Tilts? Intruding Fair, Bair, or side-b? The Bair seems to be the least punishable, but setting that up seems technically challenging (not that I can't do it, it would just take some practice while I teach my fingers to do it).

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
hey guys iv started to use ZSS iv read most of your stickies and watched your vids. can you plz tell me whats worth learning and what i shouldn't bother with?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Ok, I am hereby proclaiming that I will be writing a "Noobs Guide to ZSS" just to stop this onslaught of dumb questions.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
While I'm here:

So I played a few friends recently and they are very impressed with how much I've improved, 2- and 3-stocking the locals most of the time. I've got a great handle on the basics and now I'm getting into the nitty gritty.

I'm having a lot of trouble with approaches because it seems like our only viable one is the dash attack. I absolutely abuse it, which is awful. Once every few matches or so, I'll use down-b as an approach, but that has to be rare or it starts to get predictable (and really, if I do it at the wrong time, it's slow enough they'll see it coming anyway).

After watching a little Claw and Snakeee, it seems like the good players hope they'll just come to you and you can punish them for it. However in some cases this just isn't possible (Lucas, for example) so you've got to go in.

Tilts? Intruding Fair, Bair, or side-b? The Bair seems to be the least punishable, but setting that up seems technically challenging (not that I can't do it, it would just take some practice while I teach my fingers to do it).
ZSS should only approach when there's an opening. Just try move around your opponent in mid-range or pressure with side b and lasers until you see an opening or they do an attack that's punishable. sometimes I try to confuse them into doing an attack. one example of this is by making them think im gonna come in with a dash attack when in reality I just run past them, maybe do a pivot grab.

Or a nice approach (mindgame) is to run to them and jump over their head, they think you were gonna dash attack and they attempt to shieldgrab. this drops their shield then you bair them. there are many more instances but this is just one example

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You can pressure most other characters into getting into melee with you with the laser and side b, and then you push them back out and start again.

The most problematic matchups are when this doesn't work, for me atleast (Falco, Olimar) and you're forced into a bad approach.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
So i'm a somewhat new ZSS player, and while playing against my friends i have seemed to discover something new to me, i'm not saying this is completely new to the ZSS community, as i'm sure somebody has discovered it before.

Okay, so when hanging on the ledge with your opponent approaching you or standing there waiting for you to attack, or if they are about to attack, instead of doing an average attack from the ledge:

I pressed and held down (releasing myself from the ledge) then press B (to go into down B attack) immediately then press B immediately after that (attacking out of your down B)

What this does is creates a fast pretty quick unexpected attack from the ledge, and if you hold in the opposite direction i believe while pressing B the second time, you will attack outwards, sending your opponent off the stage.

Is this a useful technique?
Has it been found before?
Are there lag issues or any other concerns?

I really know almost nothing about her, i haven't had the time to research her and play her that much. So anything here could be wrong.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I really know almost nothing about her, i haven't had the time to research her and play her that much. So anything here could be wrong.
How many times do I have to tell people to USE THE ****ING SEARCH FUNCTION before they understand?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Just trying to get a quick answer, don't mean to requote myself but..
So find the time. I'm sure somebody on here is going to end up answering your question, but I'm here to play devil's advocate to that. Why should we help people who are too lazy to try and find the answer themselves?

NeoZero

Smash Apprentice
Well, how about someone makes a thread named something like "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION *****ES!!!", make someone sticky the threat and keep it constantly bumped so that it's always on the top of our character boards

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Well, how about someone makes a thread named something like "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION *****ES!!!", make someone sticky the threat and keep it constantly bumped so that it's always on the top of our character boards
I wrote a thread for that almost a year ago. Nobody bothers to read it, so I have to go out of my way to yell at them.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
I should just make an FAQ thread, but then people just wouldn't read that. So it's kind of a losing battle.

NeoZero

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't suggesting to remake your thread or to create another one like it, I just wanted a huge visual reminder to everyone to use the search function before posting. Most people won't be bothered to look at your thread. The thread I'm suggesting would have no other point then to broadcast to the public, through it's name on the main page of the board, to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!

But then again, I guess your thread does that too.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
People just dont care anymore. Anyone who's reading this not from the ZSS board, people are reacting like this because you ask a question without ATTEMPTING to search the answer for it yourself.

It has been known that ZSS can down b from the ledge since DAY ONE. In fact if you ever played a ZSS (scrub or not) then you would have seen them do it before.

This is like me going to the Diddy boards and talking about how I may have found a way to throw a banana at someone and slide across the ground at the same time to hit them.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Ok, I am hereby proclaiming that I will be writing a "Noobs Guide to ZSS" just to stop this onslaught of dumb questions.
I tried that with my "tips, tricks, and general advice" (I named it nicer)

No matter what you do... people will ask dumb questions... it's impossible to avoid.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I tried that with my "tips, tricks, and general advice" (I named it nicer)

No matter what you do... people will ask dumb questions... it's impossible to avoid.
Yeah, I guess it's pretty much pointless. I enjoy insulting people's intelligence enough that I'll just have to deal with it.

Top Bottom