• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
So, I seriously hate Pit. What an annoying, spammy piece of ****. Is it a total loss? His smash attacks are quick with good priority and he can block suit pieces and Zamus's projectiles. WTF do I do? ;_;
First of all calm down. Play a reactive style when using pit. Meaning bait him to use his moves and counter with SH bair or whatever else is necessary. his arrows are just arrows. shield and react. They're rally only a threat when used for edgeguarding which then you have to be careful when you use your 2nd jump since it can they can gimp you so wait for the right time. For the pieces I bait him to use his reflector then just side b or run past him and reverse glide toss. Pit is pretty hard to edgeguard when he's below the edge since his uair will go through pretty much anything you got. ZSS only has one projectile, her laser. Pit's down b will reflect it if you use it wrong. dont do charged lasers and make it unpredictable. if pit reflects an uncharged laser it wont last long enough to make it back to you and you could possibly counter afterwards.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Does this apply to ZSS? Does this mean using downb after momentum canceling with a uair is a bad idea?
no, I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know if they cover it but jumping does the exact same thing, and it's better to get boosted from jumping/down-b'ing than just letting yourself be taken completely.

Air-dodge -> Down-B is the BEST way to survive off the side. (which is weird because most people need to use an aerial, but ZSS's airdodge is better). Off the top the best way is fastfalled u-air. (holding down while performing a u-air with the c-stick).

Snakeee

Smash Master
A lot of times an enemy has allowed me to recover when I shouldn't have because they threw an item off the stage, and I down B footstooled it :D

What you did there Riddle was cool, but there's no point to do it in that position, you could just recover normally or footstool the opponent if they try to edgehog

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I've been discussing this a bit with a friend of mine who plays ZSS much better than I do and she seems to believe this works at least to some small degree, so I'm going to post it here and hope I don't get flamed. If this has already been talked about or "discovered" (or even if it doesn't work), that's fine (and I did search around). I'd rather take the risk and try to advance our metagame a little bit than not talk about it at all. I don't expect this to drastically change anything, of course. Also note that I don't have a hacked Wii to do any technical tests.

OK, I think if you D Smash twice and then Up+B....

No, I'm kidding.

This is actually about the Paralyzer. You can cancel the last few frames of the animation by crouching. We are talking a very, very small amount of time, barely noticeable with to human eye. It is also difficult to time this correctly.

So what does this get you?

Well, that's hard to say. So far I've had some fun with it. RAR'd Paralyzer just before you land to crouch canceled usmash on large characters like Bowser is really nasty. My friend (who I won't name without her permission) believes it actually works much better as an uncharged shot->tilt over anything else.

We both agree that in the current state it's uses are limited and wouldn't profoundly affect ZSS' ground game. But I think that there is a precedent here. This could be a building block. So even if people aren't using this in every day 1v1 fighting, it's out there now and maybe someone more experienced or knowledgeable than I can mess around with it.

OK, I'm going to go cower and wait for the flames now. Cake, I'm looking at you.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
OK, I think if you D Smash twice and then Up+B....
lol, I got mindgames'd.

it'd be really interesting to test if you could crouch cancel neutral-b, because that would suggest you might be able to crouch cancel other specials, hopefully it's not just IASA frames and you could cancel it with anything (which it prolly is). Either way, good contribution.

sasook

Smash Champion
What are IASA frames anyway? I've heard on some boards that they don't even exist in brawl, they're only in melee.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Interruptable As Soon As Frames.

If you want to test this yourself, here's the best way to do it without a hacked Wii:

Enter training mode. It's best if you use a heavy-ish character such as Rob. I have tap jumping disabled, but I doubt it matters. I'm just telling you for the sake of having a control.

It's easiest to see on 1/4 speed, of course. Stand next to your opponent, and use the Paralyzer Shot. Try it a few different times, making note of how fast you can perform an action (other than dtilt, of course) after the animation stops. This is key, because you shouldn't be able to perform an action until the gun is nearly put away.

Next, stand next to your CPU opponent and tap the Paralyzer Shot again. This time, crouch cancel a few frames after the part of the animation in which ZSS suffers a bit of recoil. You can buffer this slightly. You will notice that when you crouch, the animation of course ends faster (but again, not by a lot) allowing you to act immediately after firing the shot. On heavy characters, try the Usmash. Tilts are also effective. Of course, the question is why you would fire a Paralyzer shot in someone's face, but that isn't necessarily the point. :laugh:

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
What are IASA frames anyway? I've heard on some boards that they don't even exist in brawl, they're only in melee.
IASA (Interruptible As Soon As): All moves have IASA-frames. After performing a move, you can perform another move (and most often, a jump or a dash) before the first move actually ends. The best example of this is Marth's down tilt. If you perform it and try to jump, you have to wait for the full 49 frames until the move is over. However, if you perform it and try to follow up with any attack (smash or tilt), the down tilt will stop after 20 frames (its hit box will have come out) and go directly into that move. To do an IASA-cancel, you just have to attack after IASA frames of that move have begun but before the animation of the move ends.

they exist in both games.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I can't ever seem to land a d-smash without my opponent rolling to the left or right. Some how, some way, I can't ever land a d-smash properly. :/ Any tips?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I can't ever seem to land a d-smash without my opponent rolling to the left or right. Some how, some way, I can't ever land a d-smash properly. :/ Any tips?
Space yourself so that they can't roll behind you and try charging a dsmash. A lot of people who roll a lot will roll right into your dsmash.

Often, if they roll behind you, you still have time for an ftilt. Unless it's Lucario.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Most of my dsmashes are usually landed on the edge or to punish an airdodge. I find it too laggy to just use as a normal attack when you are both on ground. (unless it's a mindgame)

though if you are having problems with rolling, try a dash pivot dsmash. meaning tapping left or right, turn and dsmash realy quick. dashing backward to a pivot attack punishes people that try to roll behind you. although it may be too slow to work with dsmash but that's my best advice if you ARE trying to use it that way. for people with slow rolls like rob, dash pivot side b works wonders if you predict it right.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I have a bad habit of using it to punish bad ground approaches. Nowadays I'm trying to limit the use of this because at higher levels it would be frequently punished.

So in a way I share Dryn's problem. I've started relying more on the Paralyzer Shot for my stun game as a result, but I'm also working on my Dsmash game as well. However, the better the player you're facing, the harder it gets (exponentially) to land the thing.

Essentially at the high level it becomes a way to punish opponents that become predictable or stale. I tend to search for an approach they use often during a stock or match, and then when they try to use it on my at a high percentage, I punish it with Dsmash and go for the kill. There's not really a specific time you use this attack. You just need to pay attention.

cba

Smash Master
2nd longest name, after spec.....

and btw, Im gonna make a troll..."canthandlethespectaculosity"

lmao jk

cba

Smash Master
LOL i asked a mod and they said that they dont do name changes anymore...
I think dazwa will be more than please to do it though.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Snakeee you cant just, CHANGE your whole name like that. It's like a large company changing all their contact info. all the costumers, agents, partners etc. will get confused at the new number and it will be hard for business.

Long story short, it's gonna take forever for everyone to catch on.

And what's wrong with "Snakeee?" I mean it's no Speculosity, but it defines who you are and you should be proud of it.

Salem

Smash Champion
flip...kick... EDGE cancel?
That's news to me- anyone mind enlightening me?
Ugh... it's just once you kick and is close to the edge you slide off it becuase you some how continue to move very little on the ground and the rest of the animation is canceled, spacing is required to do this appearantly.

I just want to know what can I use it for.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
I know this is pretty general but what's the best way of refreshing ZSS's moves? I decay Bair by a significant amount sometimes and at high %s, Fair doesn't have enough hitstun to kill :<

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I must ask, how strong does Game and Watches bucket get when you shoot three uncharged lasers into his bucket?
OHKO fresh.

Also what the heck can I use the Flip Kick edge cancel for? it seems useless...
It's not incredibly useful, but it makes it really neat for lagless shield pressure. You might also be able to do it for mindgames.

Snakeee

Smash Master
If you cancel the flip kick like that, not only will there be no lag, but you can also do a B-air or up air immediately after it. It's pretty hard to space it just right for that though

Top Bottom