• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Never used Sheik, never will.

I've accidentally transformed twice, ever, and I managed well enough, but I'm guessing those times don't count. =X

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I try to train them both equally. I find that matchups I find hard with one character are always significantly easier with the other one. I don't really switch to Zelda to kill unless I'm getting tired of playing as Sheik. (I tend to get bored quickly.) Sheik has enough KO options, imo, that she is not dependent by any means on Zelda.

I guess, fortunately, I happen to just really enjoy playing both characters. I personally strongly recommend learning the two. Why not take advantage of the asset?

Anywho, I tend to transform jump a lot with Sheik. usually it works just fine but sometimes wifi lag makes it really easy to punish. It's not necessary really, but there are times when I just can't get my **** together with Sheik and need a change of pace. On the plus side, the enemy has to quickly adapt to fighting a whole new enemy with all new pros and cons.

To conclude:

Both characters can survive independently of the other.
It's a matter of personal preference.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
On the plus side, the enemy has to quickly adapt to fighting a whole new enemy with all new pros and cons.
Lol, I can count on one hand the times a Zelda player has turned to Sheik on me..... the perks of playing Pikabunz. ;)

I dunno why I don't like Sheik. She just.... bothers me. Something about her vaguely creeps me out.... =X

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I started out just mainly playing Sheik the day Brawl came out. When I figured out she couldn't kill, I of course switched to Zelda for that quick kill. But as time went on I just fell in love with Zelda. I never was a big-time Dins user even when it was considered to be a good move.

I like the fact that Zelda/Sheik enables you to have in-game counterpicking and the fact that the duo only has about two counters(G&W,MK).

Edit: I also played Sheik in melee for about the last two years of it by the way.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Lol, I can count on one hand the times a Zelda player has turned to Sheik on me..... the perks of playing Pikabunz. ;)

I dunno why I don't like Sheik. She just.... bothers me. Something about her vaguely creeps me out.... =X
I'd go sheik on pikachu not as if there's some sort of CG or like it's a really bad match up for sheik or something :ohwell:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Melee Sheik can suck my left thumb. Goddammit, every single character I ever really learned to play just gets ****ing destroyed by Sheik, god**** I hate her.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Melee Sheik can suck my left thumb. Goddammit, every single character I ever really learned to play just gets ****ing destroyed by Sheik, god**** I hate her.
I think she's considered the best character in the game so that's understandable. IDK too much about melee but I don't think you can go to wrong with Marth.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
This sounds like a challenge, lol.
Oh, it can be. :mad: Do I smell a Pika vs. Zelda/Sheik mm at HSI? I don't mind takin' out you and Bobby. ;)

Yeah, I said it.

On topic so Kata doesn't kill me: Uhh, if anyone has any other combo ideas, lemme know. I'm almost done with my list, and once it's done, I'll be reverting to Lazy Mode.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Is there a way to teleport cancel and edge warp on wi-fi without sding like an idiot? I was testing it on wi-fi and sd'd too many times to count. The guy I fought said my Zelda has potential but I shouldn't UpB so much because I fall and it serves no purpose....I got nub advice. Every Zelda main knows that, it's like well Zel-DUH! I feel mentally ******** and pityed on.

EDIT: woah, after reading this again I sound like an a**. Sorry. :/

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Is there a way to teleport cancel and edge warp on wi-fi without sding like an idiot? I was testing it on wi-fi and sd'd too many times to count. The guy I fought said my Zelda has potential but I shouldn't UpB so much because I fall and it serves no purpose....I got nub advice. Every Zelda main knows that, it's like well Zel-DUH! I feel mentally ******** and pityed on.
Practice the spacing and learn to do it just a LITTLE before you actually get to the spot to make up for the input lag. <_<

Once you learn how bad the input lag, judging timing for the distance becomes easier.

Much like doing the Ice climbers chain grabs. :x I do those better online then offline. >.<

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It should make absolutely 0 difference ledgewarping on wifi as compared to offline.

If you're SDing you don't know how to space it or your memory isn't... well, there.

You should only ever need to ledgewarp from two places. The full distance FW, and the half distance FW (45 degree angle).

To practice either one, stand on the ledge of the stage so you're teetering. FW away from it at one of those two angles. Take on tiny step back towards the ledge (you should now be facing the ledge you want to warp to. Memorize THIS spot.) then FW back in the opposite direction but same angle you did before.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It should make absolutely 0 difference ledgewarping on wifi as compared to offline.
Not necessarily true. I think he means doing ledgewarping out of a run (or other type of movement)..... so on wifi, due to the lag, you might accidentally run too far (because you FW at a certain point but the game doesn't input it for another step or two).

Something like that. Obviously it's the same as offline if you're standing still, but who really stands still during a match?

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Not necessarily true. I think he means doing ledgewarping out of a run (or other type of movement)..... so on wifi, due to the lag, you might accidentally run too far (because you FW at a certain point but the game doesn't input it for another step or two).

Something like that. Obviously it's the same as offline if you're standing still, but who really stands still during a match?
Yes that's what I meant. Unless the oppnent's offstage or something along those lines, I'm running when I try to pull off a ledgewarp.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hm. Odd. I've never run into a situation where I would need to ledgewarp out of a run, though it does happen occasionally.

In all honesty, though, even if you successfully managed a ledgewarp, the best thing that could happen is a f-air or d-air, both of which have plenty of reliable setups. Consider the cons here: There's a less than 50% chance that you actually kill your enemy, but there's quite a good chance you miss and either get punished or SD. It's just not worth it.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'm finding that a lot of opponents love taking the ledge if they're way high above... of course this is opponent-dependant but those that do do this can be caught amazingly offguard by ledgewarping > jump uair... like in the Maos vs Deva video posted earlier before.

Except that Deva managed to dodge it lol for having godlike reflexes and DI.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
There's nothing godly about evading an action that took ~60 frames. (lol, just being a prick)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
It's more the surprise factor successor, it's not like we go around ledgewarping 24/7, 7 days a week.:upsidedown: (what are you doing up so late?)

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Yeah, I get the surprise part. I've just been thinking a lot lately about how all of her specials are ridiculously slow. (didn't wanna sleep)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hm. Odd. I've never run into a situation where I would need to ledgewarp out of a run, though it does happen occasionally.

In all honesty, though, even if you successfully managed a ledgewarp, the best thing that could happen is a f-air or d-air, both of which have plenty of reliable setups. Consider the cons here: There's a less than 50% chance that you actually kill your enemy, but there's quite a good chance you miss and either get punished or SD. It's just not worth it.
Man, I must have crazy good luck with ledgewarping, then.....

For one, I usually do it out of a run, actually. Rarely do I just happen to be hanging out at a ledgewarp point, so to get there as fast as possible, I run. I dunno. Maybe that's weird?

Two, I don't think I've ever missed in an actual match..... definitely not into an SD. If anything, I come up too short and have to alter my gameplan once I realize I'm not jumping. But honestly, ledgewarping isn't that hard..... if there's "quite a good chance" that you're going to miss, that just means that you need to practice your spacing.

Fair and dair do seem to be the best options, although there've been times when I've misjudged how fast they're approaching the ledge and gone into an nair instead. I even did a ledgewarp > Naryu's once to send someone back off the stage..... but those are highly situational and more to avoid getting punished than to set up for anything.

Speaking of getting punished, I don't think I've ever gotten punished for ledgewarping either...... @.@ Or even for attempting it. How often are you guys using this thing??? I really only pull it out once in a while for a surprise when I'm 90% sure it'll hit. Using it otherwise seems pretty silly.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
I used to do it for fun. I did bait a Ness into holding out his magnet forever while I threw in tons of Din's at him and got him to 0%, and then I ledgewarped for the Farore's -> dair combo. That's really the only time I've gotten something out of it.

I never do it anymore.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i never do ledgewarping in actual fights, i think the only time i've attempted it is in wifi training room >.>

since i know my spacing will whiff 50% of the time on me lol

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Oh, it can be. :mad: Do I smell a Pika vs. Zelda/Sheik mm at HSI? I don't mind takin' out you and Bobby. ;)

Yeah, I said it.
We can mm if you want. I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who money matches me will win though (so it kinda takes some of the excitement out). I simply can't pass up good opportunites to collect information.

On topic so Kata doesn't kill me: Uhh, if anyone has any other combo ideas, lemme know. I'm almost done with my list, and once it's done, I'll be reverting to Lazy Mode.
Wait, reverting to Lazy Mode ... you mean there are other modes (I'm always in Lazy Mode)?

IMO anyone who knows Zelda can be prepared for it since its not like INSTANT teleport...
Yeah, I've always been skeptical of ledgewarping as an edgeguard since people can, you know, see it coming ten million years in advance.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm still working on the fundamentals, I think Farore's cancelling is flashy but usually pointless and I would rather work on my basic edgeguarding skills then even bother with this.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Wait, reverting to Lazy Mode ... you mean there are other modes (I'm always in Lazy Mode)?
Yeah, occasionally I go into Mad Scientist Mode, a.k.a. Kataefi Mode, where I just sit in debug mode for 3 hours straight and test a bunch of **** at once.

Unfortunately, this happens maybe once a week, which is why simple tests take me so long, lol. Usually I'm in Lazy Mode..... or, more often, just have better things to do than sit with Brawl. :urg:

Yeah, I've always been skeptical of ledgewarping as an edgeguard since people can, you know, see it coming ten million years in advance.
I'm still working on the fundamentals, I think Farore's cancelling is flashy but usually pointless and I would rather work on my basic edgeguarding skills then even bother with this.
Trufax. I feel the same way about a lot of "ATs" (including QAC even though a lot of Pikas use it pretty often), but when your opponent doesn't know it's coming, it works really well for a surprise KO. Basically a Fool Me Once move, though.

Also, sometimes I get bored playing Zelda since she's so straightforward, so I just start doing random things, lol.

Like teleporting all over the place.
Or foxtrotting for the entire match. (Really throws people off.)
Or playing keep-away with FW & Din's.

Don't laugh, I'm easily amused..... ;-;

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Also, sometimes I get bored playing Zelda since she's so straightforward, so I just start doing random things, lol.

Actually, foxtrotting away from your opponent as they approach is fairly effective with Zelda (especially if you delay a little in between each one, so you don't move so fluidly). The erratic movement makes Zelda seem less predictable than she actually is and it makes surprise dash attacks or running Usmashes seem like they came out of nowhere (conditioning the opponent is full of win).

Hm, so playing keep away with Din's is considered random ... I guess I really am all about the "random move" then, lol.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Is there a difference in the amount of frames between Fair and Bair?
And for that matter, does one of them do more damage or knockback when sweet-spotted?
Or are they essentially the same move?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Is there a difference in the amount of frames between Fair and Bair?
And for that matter, does one of them do more damage or knockback when sweet-spotted?
Or are they essentially the same move?
Bair has less frames of start-up lag than Fair does (5 frames compared to 8). As for total frames, I'm not sure. Both moves do 20% damage when sweetspotted, and 5% when sourspotted. Finally, their knockback is almost identical, but allegedly Bair has a tiny amount more (not enough to make much of a difference).

So yeah, bar the fact that Bair starts up quicker, the moves are almost identical.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Actually, foxtrotting away from your opponent as they approach is fairly effective with Zelda (especially if you delay a little in between each one, so you don't move so fluidly). The erratic movement makes Zelda seem less predictable than she actually is and it makes surprise dash attacks or running Usmashes seem like they came out of nowhere (conditioning the opponent is full of win).
I actually do this with Bowser. Because his dash dance animation is so ******** looking, it actually makes it possible to land random dash attacks. lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Trufax. I feel the same way about a lot of "ATs" (including QAC even though a lot of Pikas use it pretty often), but when your opponent doesn't know it's coming, it works really well for a surprise KO. Basically a Fool Me Once move, though.

The difference between QAC and Teleport Cancelling is that QAC actually can be used safely and has some effect(even though it may be small) on the metagame. TC is just a fancy move to make people go "WTF how is Zelda moving that fast!" Hehehehe. ;)

Oh and foxtrotting with Zelda is win, FW mindgames are also full of win, kicking people with magic is also win.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I don't really have a problem with Ledge warping on wifi.. maybe it's just you?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It seems at the proper height if you cancel Din's Fire, you land on the stage laglessly. This also seems to be slightly less lag then a grounded Din's Fire.

Known?
I've been looking into this, so it's slightly known (by me, at least, dunno about anyone else). You also get a slight boost forward when you land with Din's..... frame-by-frame, you literally see Zelda mini-teleport forward by a step or so.

I haven't done actual frame testing on it yet, though, so I won't say anything else for now since I'm not 100% sure. x.x

Top Bottom