• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I don't think anything... unless she's playing a character prone to grab releases.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
....How do you deal with a Snake that does nothing except roll, mortar slide, and dash attack?...throw in alittle f-tilt too. -_-
doesn't dtilt and fsmash stop dash and dacus? idk about ftilt, but predict his rolls and catch him

What can zelda's grab release lead to?
other than GRLK on Wario, i don't think anything on anyone else

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to grab release to set up for a Dair or lightning kick off stage? or do they recover by the time your about to do it

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Indeed it is.

I dont think this works on all characters, but grab them near the edge so there's about a foot or so from the edge. Pummel them until they push off and they'll slide away. If you did it right they'll fall off the side. At this point (this is where the some characters part comes in) predict their recovery and try to punish. (Note they will have their second jump available.)

In all honesty, you're better off doing NL throw > spike/gimp.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Quick question.......you keep referring to NL throw. Are you just talking about hitting with Naryu's or are you referring to something NinjaLink does?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Realistically, there is no reason why you should grab release with Zelda. On the off chance you grab someone in the first place, just throw em.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Realistically, there is no reason why you should grab release with Zelda. On the off chance you grab someone in the first place, just throw em.
exceptions include:
Wario
- a lightning kick is better than any throw

Earthbounders
-Find something nasty to do to them.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Good luck grabbing Wario. XD

As for Ness and Lucas, just Dsmash or Dtilt. Zelda's too slow to do anything else. You might be better off throwing.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Good luck grabbing Wario. XD
On the off chance you grab someone in the first place, just throw em.
Just responding to the specific comment made.

As for Ness and Lucas, just Dsmash or Dtilt. Zelda's too slow to do anything else. You might be better off throwing.
Dtilt + Follow ups and Dsmash will more likely kill than any of zelda's throws.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Dtilt + Follow ups and Dsmash will more likely kill than any of zelda's throws.
Dsmash only kills at obscenely high percents. As long as the player knows how to DI, which they should, they shouldn't die from it. If they're within tilt lock percentages, then go for that.

Otherwise, a throw would be better. Why stale your Dsmash when you can do the same damage with a throw? Unless you're like, at the ledge and they're at 100%, don't bother.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to know if there was anyway i can change things up. It seems like you can onlyy combo from her down throw and a lot of ppl know to DI from that. I was thinking maybe you can combo from a grab release seeing that you can't do anything after her front, back and up(other then Uair) throw.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
You can't combo from her Dthrow. You can't combo from any of Zelda's throws.
wait what? I thought D throw could lead to other moves. I'm always doing stuff after my Dthrow. Those aren't combos?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Nah playa that's just a little thing called tech chasing, they're escapable your just reading your opponent well.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Any advice on how to stay patient with fast chars? I lost to a falcon for not shielding enough and losing patience because of his speed. As punishment, Zelda got kneed in the face for it...poor girl.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Little late, but if you can grab someone near the edge (with their back facing off-stage) you can pummel them until they slide release and then spike them. Obviously not guaranteed but it works well.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Any advice on how to stay patient with fast chars? I lost to a falcon for not shielding enough and losing patience because of his speed. As punishment, Zelda got kneed in the face for it...poor girl.
Uh, just be patient, lol. There's really no trick to doing it.

I get impatient with Zelda all the time.... one of the drawbacks of being a Pikachu main, because I'm used to being able to run around and bait things pretty freely. With Zelda, you have to adopt a different mindset in which you fully accept that you're slow. And laggy. And that everything you do has to count, because one mistake usually leads to eating a fair amount of damage (or worse, death) vs. good opponents.

Sometimes if I'm being too aggressive and impatient with Zelda, I just stop moving -- or start slow walking -- and watch what the opponent does. Forcing myself to literally slow down helps get me back into Zelda mode.... and half the time, the other player will keep playing at high speed, or they'll rush in and try to approach, at which point you can punish them.

Walk more than you run.
Don't try to follow up on everything, because Zelda is too slow 90% of the time.
Remember that their running around and baiting isn't doing squat unless you fall for it.

Maybe someone else has better tips, hehe.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Uh, just be patient, lol. There's really no trick to doing it.
This ultimately is the answer to your question.

And that everything you do has to count, because one mistake usually leads to eating a fair amount of damage (or worse, death) vs. good opponents.
This part of the statement is very important. While it's always important to make sure that what you're doing has a purpose, but it's especially important when you're using slower characters because, well, they're slower (aka more commited to whatever option you pick).

Don't try to follow up on everything, because Zelda is too slow 90% of the time.
Too true.

I'd give you some advice of my own, but I'm too lazy, lol.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Woah... imagine being able to harness no lag lightning kicks, we could sweetspot again and again and again until death!

One can only dream... though that's very interesting. Was the whistle involved at all? I couldn't seem to see it but who knows??

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I have some questions:

1) You know how if you use Nayru's Love while in knockback you glide a long distance in that distance? Is there any way to utilise that to recover back to the stage? Having to use her up B all the time gets predictable quickly.

2) Is there any percent where a sourspotted lightning kick can combo into a sweetspotted one, or can your opponent always attack first?

3) I can sometimes do USmash > USmash > Uair on heavies at 0%. Is this a true combo, or did my opponent suck at DI or whatnot?

4) What's the best all-around throw out of a grab? I always tend to use DThrow, but is that one the best or not?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Okay...

1) Ninjalink discovered the answer to your first question... so from histun you need to buffer a direction and immediately press nayru's... you will swoop in that direction. I know from playing SinkingHigher that he does by and far the most ridiculously good nayru's glides I've ever seen to recover back on the stage. How you do this sinking is beyond me! rofl!

We havn't managed to find a way to harness going diagonally upwards... so far she can go diagonally downward and straight up or down.

2) Sourspotted bairs will not lead into a sweetspot... and here's why:

Alright, sh bair adv info on Marth: (adv in parenthesis)

90%: 20 (-10)
100%: 22 (-8)
110%: 27 hard landing (-3)
120%: 29 (-1)
130%: 31 (+1)
140%: 32 (+2)
150%: 33 (+3)
155%: 34 (+4)
159%: can now be DI'd and air dodged
3) If the heavy SDIs up they can jump out immediately to avoid the next Usmash you do to them. Usmash > Usmash shouldn't be true on anyone who does this... though I'm 80% sure.

4) I don't like Dthrow... but I think this is supposedly the best one to use. I much prefer Uthrow for its damage output and setup for a uair.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Dthrow/uthrow are best for possible followups..... especially dthrow if your opponent doesn't DI it for some reason.

If you're near an edge, fthrow/bthrow to get them off the stage.

Pretty basic.

LuigiRocks14

Smash Rookie
My Question :

My Friend Is Chosing Zelda And I Always Chose Luigi

And I Can't Punch Zelda Cuz My Friend Is Always Do Fsmash + UpSmash

Even If I Press Z ( In Air ) He Well Do USmash =(

And When He Sends Me To The Air He Use Zelda's F+B

How Can I Beat Him ??

Sorry For My Bad English =)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
My Question :

My Friend Is Chosing Zelda And I Always Chose Luigi

And I Can't Punch Zelda Cuz My Friend Is Always Do Fsmash + UpSmash

Even If I Press Z ( In Air ) He Well Do USmash =(

And When He Sends Me To The Air He Use Zelda's F+B

How Can I Beat Him ??

Sorry For My Bad English =)
Quick answers:

- SDI out of FSmash. USmash can't be doen as easily. Just try to avoid being above her when she's on the ground if you can.

- Either airdodge Din's Fire or use an aerial with high priority to cancel it out.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
- Either airdodge Din's Fire or use an aerial with high priority to cancel it out.
@LuigiRocks: Laggy Boot (a.k.a. nair) cancels out Din's really well. Zelda's slow enough that you don't have to worry about her punishing your cooldown lag since, well, she'll probably be in her Din's cooldown for longer. x.o

Other than that, I agree that you should probably head to the Weegee boards and ask them.

Top Bottom