• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Ike allowed in low tier tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Ike is low on the tier list because of horrible top tier matchups, however he has etremely excellent MU for low tiers. This causes a huge unbalance in low tier tournaments. However most people see low tier as a side event and nto an actual metagame and wont be worked to create a balanced tier
He does indeed do well against most everyone in low tier, with the exception of Samus.

if we keep him from getting close, which is the ONLY thing we know how to do, we're set.

I'm not bashing Ike because I know his range is stupid, but we can keep the spam up as long as it takes, throw a few grabs around when he starts approaching, mix ups with z air homing missiles and smash missiles, the Ike will be injured when he gets to us, then we ftilt and he gets knocked back and what do we do?

rinse and repeat.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ike is the 5th worst character in the game and has several bad match-ups and slight losses in low tiers anyways, like Samus, Sonic, and Bowser.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I would say Samus for a lot of reasons, Sonic is still debatable, but Bowser?! I can't really agree with that.
Bowser's Firebreath and Up-B out of shield are two attacks that Ike is bad at dealing with. Ike unlike most characters can't SDI to punish Firebreath easily, so it's much more useful for camping him in this matchup. Up-B out of shield also pretty much wrecks anything Ike does to approach, and anything he doesn't space perfectly also gets punished pretty severely by Bowser's powerful OOS game. It's also much harder for Ike to get up from the ledge against Bowser than the other way around.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Ike is the 5th worst character in the game and has several bad match-ups and slight losses in low tiers anyways, like Samus, Sonic, and Bowser.
Actually, after watching most Sonics and Ikes play the matchup, I'd say that it looks more like Ike beats Sonic right now in the metagame.

Potentially, I think Sonic can turn the matchup to slightly his favor, like 55:45, but most Sonics haven't figured out the tricky, sneaky tricks that can screw up Ike.

Also, I'd like to see your bottom 5, or reasoning for some of the characters above him, honestly.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Actually, after watching most Sonics and Ikes play the matchup, I'd say that it looks more like Ike beats Sonic right now in the metagame.

Potentially, I think Sonic can turn the matchup to slightly his favor, like 55:45, but most Sonics haven't figured out the tricky, sneaky tricks that can screw up Ike.

Also, I'd like to see your bottom 5, or reasoning for some of the characters above him, honestly.
LOL what? I win low tier events with sonic and beat inui's ike most of the time. Its not in Ikes favor at all and that was clearly an assumption with no backup evidence. Unless of course all of the sonics in your region suck

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike beats Bowser. The CG hurts too much for it not to be 55-45 Ike's A. Firebreath only screws us over when recovering, we can still SDI back out of it and then punish with a Dash Attack. That, and Fair still reaches over it's initial start.

If Fair hit's Bowser's shield and he uses fortress, Ike has just enough time to PS it. So it's not a very big issue.

From my matches against Espy, Ike vs Sonic is dead even. If the Ike is terrible like me and is constantly making mistakes that he doesn't realize until after the match, it's like 6-4 Sonic's A. I seriously need to stop using Fair against Sonic...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Sonic is definitely debatable. It's been hovering around even, +-5 both ways for a while now. Samus, don't really know the reasons why they think it's 60-40, but I don't have much experience vs samus mains. Bowser, don't know why you guys think it's in any sort of large favor for bowser. Fire breath? Really? Don't know why some of you think that, though.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
ike has some nasty grab releases on squirtle and outranges his stuby legs with his giant sword

ike is one of squirtles most difficult matchups

also quit arguing sonic is a ike counter, that point is moot since sonic isnt low tier

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
ike and ness SHOULD NOT BE LOW TIER. Sonic is not in low tier, stop bringing him up.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Why is this topic still going. xD

OP is amazing. Plus the question was already answered.
Because the question has some real debate among some members here.

But honestly this is something that is a tier list thread question.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
IKE LAWL

Silly. People rejoice when they play an Ike in regular tourney. And then in a low tier tourney they're all OH NOEZ and ****.

Next time I'm in a low tier tourney, I'm going to pick my man Ike and scream "BOO!" in my first opponent's ear. And then I'll wait for the smell of urine to announce that I've already won.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ike beats Bowser. The CG hurts too much for it not to be 55-45 Ike's A. Firebreath only screws us over when recovering, we can still SDI back out of it and then punish with a Dash Attack. That, and Fair still reaches over it's initial start.

If Fair hit's Bowser's shield and he uses fortress, Ike has just enough time to PS it. So it's not a very big issue.

From my matches against Espy, Ike vs Sonic is dead even. If the Ike is terrible like me and is constantly making mistakes that he doesn't realize until after the match, it's like 6-4 Sonic's A. I seriously need to stop using Fair against Sonic...
Wow, this is terrible. Bowser's chaingrab on Ike is so much better than Ike's on Bowser (which has to be frame perfect btw after 2 bthrows), and you say it's IKE'S CHAINGRAB that puts it in his favor?

Bowser isn't fortressing against Ike's FAir, wtf. Depending if it's Full Jumped or not, we either shield then dash to get in fortress range or simply drop shield and ftilt Ike. Yeah Ike's non-full jump FAir is so laggy Bowser can drop shield Ftilt against it.

Whatever, Vex thinks it's slightly in Ike's favor anyway, just not for the terrible reasons you listed.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
When I rush out a post between classes at university, I'm not going to list every single point. I threw out the two things that came to mind. >_>

And for the record: I doubt Bowser's Ftilt has quite enough range to hit a properly spaced Fair off of shield.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wow, this is terrible. Bowser's chaingrab on Ike is so much better than Ike's on Bowser (which has to be frame perfect btw after 2 bthrows), and you say it's IKE'S CHAINGRAB that puts it in his favor?

Bowser isn't fortressing against Ike's FAir, wtf. Depending if it's Full Jumped or not, we either shield then dash to get in fortress range or simply drop shield and ftilt Ike. Yeah Ike's non-full jump FAir is so laggy Bowser can drop shield Ftilt against it.

Whatever, Vex thinks it's slightly in Ike's favor anyway, just not for the terrible reasons you listed.

Let's leave the matchup discussions to the character boards. He was just talking about specific things people said, like" Up-B out of shield also pretty much wrecks anything Ike does to approach" and stuff about the fire breath.

Bowser shouldn't be able to punish Ike's fair with ftilt.

Let's just calm down.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Let's leave the matchup discussions to the character boards. He was just talking about specific things people said, like" Up-B out of shield also pretty much wrecks anything Ike does to approach" and stuff about the fire breath.

Bowser shouldn't be able to punish Ike's fair with ftilt.

Let's just calm down.
I am calm, I thought it was amusing that an Ike thought having a low % chaingrab on Bowser suddenly gave him the advantage.

And it's terribly hard not to punish's Ike's FAir on shield, it has 30 frames of lag. If Ike spaces perfectly Bowser just has to move 1 step forward and ftilt is guaranteed.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

If you honestly believe Ike has anything going for him over Sonic sans range and power, it has been way too long since you've not been in a tourney scene Michael. Come at me, even with your Lucario if your wish. I promise you that my Sonic has much improved since we've last done brawled with anything on the line.

LOL what? I win low tier events with sonic and beat inui's ike most of the time. Its not in Ikes favor at all and that was clearly an assumption with no backup evidence. Unless of course all of the sonics in your region suck
I'm trying d***it! :(

ike and ness SHOULD NOT BE LOW TIER. Sonic is not in low tier, stop bringing him up.
Ah, such a shame that there is no tier inbetween what is C and D. Ike sucks too much in a normal setting, but dominates in low-tiers. Ness may be in the same place, but seeing as how his grab-release problem is universal and not MU specific like Ike's problems are, I find it harder to believe for Ness.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Stop being dumb, Allan. Please.

Nope. Sonice wins. I'm extremely experienced in this match-up. I've played Kai, Mr. 3000, Shugo, ithrowthings, MalcolmM, Blue, etc. Sonic definitely wins 60/40.

You mean the crappy ones haven't. Mr. 3000, Shugo, and Kai were/are extremely hard and I can't really win often, if at all, despite how incredible my Ike is and me knowing the match-up well.

I'm one of very few people around that can actually say "I know the Sonic match-up very well for many characters" lol...

Ike
Zelda
Captain Falcon
Link
Ganondorf

Ike is bottom 5 because of:

90/10 counters: Meta Knight, Dedede, Olimar
80/20-70/30 counters: the rest of S and A tier

Other low tiers aren't ***** that badly. Like...Mario can do better against them all, and Mario is horrible.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ike is absolute garbage <_<
Yes.

He is extremely limited and bad.

Wining with him requires your opponent to make mistakes and get tricked...a lot. He has no method to force/create mistakes and no frame traps or anything like that. He can just spam jab and f-air...but all you need to do is SHIELD PROPERLY to beat Ike.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I find it hilariously depressing how bad Ike is at dealing with camping of any sort.

If you got time Inui, I want to hear why you think Link is the 2nd worst character in the game. I think he actually beats Ike.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I find it hilariously depressing how bad Ike is at dealing with camping of any sort.

If you got time Inui, I want to hear why you think Link is the 2nd worst character in the game. I think he actually beats Ike.
Link does beat Ike slightly. But what does that amount to? Link has the same 90/10's working against him plus Falco.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doesn't Link actually have stuff that can win against Snake? His Z-air is pretty fast and safe, and he's got a lot of projectiles, so he doesn't have to automatically get blown up by every grenade shield attempt Snake does.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Ike wins like 55/45 or 60/40, lol. Ganondorf gets to actually fight something as limited as himself. :bee:
I think 55:45 is accurate.

They can both gay each over tremendously depending on CP stages though, lol.

Regardless, its' one of the closest things to an even matchup that Ganon has XD

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
That and a ditto lol.
Regardless, I think this whole talk on Ike is silly because he doesnt actually have an unwinnable matchup against ALL of S and A tier, and the same goes for Link.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I personally like the idea that the tier seperation in brawl is diverse enough through wide-spread subjection that this type of conversation could occur.

As in, Brawl has enough going for it, that a low tier metagame could actually formulate itself.

Ike moves up to BORDERLINE
Ike gets ***** by this predicament
Ike moves back to Under Used
UU metagame screams and rages :(
Everyone uses Ike.
Ike remains as the last hero in UU, everyone else is NU.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I think 55:45 is accurate.

They can both gay each over tremendously depending on CP stages though, lol.

Regardless, its' one of the closest things to an even matchup that Ganon has XD
Ike has it a bit better than that. Both characters will have to rely on eachother's mistakes to punish, but Ike doesn't have to as much. His jab shenanigans really put Ganon in a bad place. It's 60:40 at best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ike have a guaranteed dash attack after a BThrow on Ganon?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Ike has a guaranteed dash attack out of his Bthrow on a lot of characters, at least as I recall, so that sounds about right Kalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom