• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Questions up there? ^^^ awnser them and come up with a sensible awnser please. and then ask me questions and once I awnser your questions you can finally leave as your knowledge around here is not helpful.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
There have been many questions I've asked that many poeple tend to dodge or come up with crap answers. One question in particular was the fact that Nintendo didn't support online in the past and why they didn't bring Melee online. I would've loved to play Melee online. Nintendo had the money and the Gamecube had the potential but it didn't happen.
Like I said you can't call Brawl **** cause if it was **** then nobody would be making a big deal about it. Melee was a great game and so is Brawl and at the end of the day you calling it **** shows Melee disrespect because its the sequel to that game and it shows the fact that you can't appreciate a great game when you see it. I never said I hated Melee but everybody can say they hate Brawl?

Online is the future of gaming and everybody knows it. Brawl online is getting better and in the future Nintendo is going to release devices that will allow for live chat. They announced with a **** Animal Crossing game but odds are it will work for other games. Try playing online just once with Brawl (the location of your opponent is important) and see what happens. I rarely lag. At the end of the day dude don't get ***** about this. My thing is they are both great games so enjoy and don't hate on them. But online play is **** and everybody will admit that ****.
Edited

That's just one compared to the many you tried to avoid answering.

How does calling Brawl s*** disrespect Melee? It just means we still loyal to Melee.

Online isn't always good. It robs the original Tourney scene where everyone goes to the place in person and has the time of their lives and replaces it with lag and more johns about lagging

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Problably the only thing I don't like is tripping. Other than that, things in the game I don't like I need to just come up with a strategy and deal with them.
Thanks for avoiding my questions again letting me know im right lol

Just incase you missed them it was this

Awnser these following questions please idiot:

1) Am I a dumb person because I am not adapting to brawl

2) Why do I have to adapt to brawl

3) Why should I play brawl when I do not find it fun

4) Should I adapt to halo because most people play it

5) Why can my OPINION not be that brawl is **** when it is my opinion of what the game is

extra question 6) Why did you say earlier which was pointed out by someone that anything is possible with any character and then later you said that it is nearly impossible to win with a low tier character

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
<_< See? He lacks the attention span.

Now let's leave him alone in his fantasy world of Brawl Online.

Purple Mantis, I'm 99.9% sure nearly all Melee players can adapt to Brawl's simple metagame in like 10 minutes worth of matches. Seriously, sometimes it's best to shut up if you don't want to look like a moron (which you are).

Wrath`

Smash Master
3) Why should I play brawl when I do not find it fun
You dont have too play it BOTTOM LINE , And I don't play melee much anymore, but you don't hear me B!tching about, do you? Some people just get pizzed off when people complain just to complain. Just like you hate people bashing melee for illogical reasons, People hate people who bash Brawl for no logical reason, Can't we just play what we like without complaining about how the other game sucks?Realy it's opinion based.

Or will everyone continue the never ending cycle of Bash and be Bashed?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You dont have too play it BOTTOM LINE , And I don't play melee much anymore, but you don't hear me B!tching about, do you? Some people just get pizzed off when people complain just to complain. Just like you hate people bashing melee for illogical reasons, People hate people who bash Brawl for no logical reason, Can't we just play what we like without complaining about how the other game sucks?Realy it's opinion based.

Who is complaining about it, its done, everyone knows what they like and what they dont like. But if some is coming in sayin points which are not right we are going to say something.
And I asked that guy that question because he said that we should adapt to playing brawl and I want to know why I should play brawl when I dont find it fun. And the obvious awnser is we shouldnt play it, but I want to know what that guys opinions is of why we should play it when we dont like it.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman

Here's the thing, though: complaint about people liking Brawl is more warranted. I am not complaining about people liking one or the other myself; I'm merely justifying a certain viewpoint.

Right now, the two possibilities are people complaining:
1.) that too many people like Brawl, and that not enough people like Melee
or
2.) that too many people like Melee, and that not enough people like Brawl

Now, what possible thing would Brawl supporters have to complain about? Brawl supporters don't cover 100% of the smash community? A lot of people who are complaining about Brawl are really pissed that the Melee community is basically dead because of Brawl. It's much easier for Brawl supporters to say, "You play your game, and we'll play ours."

Seriously, look at the this General Discussion board, or the Character boards. They're like ghost towns. They're dead.

Again, I'm not complaining about one side or the other myself. I'm just trying to show you how some complaints here are actually legitimate.

Shroomed

Smash Master

there are plenty of logical reasons to bash brawl, lemme know if u want me to start posting the list

Wrath`

Smash Master
Here's the thing, though: complaint about people liking Brawl is more warranted. I am not complaining about people liking one or the other myself; I'm merely justifying a certain viewpoint.

Right now, the two possibilities are people complaining:
1.) that too many people like Brawl, and that not enough people like Melee
or
2.) that too many people like Melee, and that not enough people like Brawl

Now, what possible thing would Brawl supporters have to complain about? Brawl supporters don't cover 100% of the smash community? A lot of people who are complaining about Brawl are really pissed that the Melee community is basically dead because of Brawl. It's much easier for Brawl supporters to say, "You play your game, and we'll play ours."

Seriously, look at the this General Discussion board, or the Character boards. They're like ghost towns. They're dead.

Again, I'm not complaining about one side or the other myself. I'm just trying to show you how some complaints here are actually legitimate.
Well times do change even if for the worst in a melee'ers eyes, Brawl is the in and melee just kinda dissapeaered, but realy what can you do? You can stick with your game like they say, but the point your trying to make is that there is no longer tournies much anymore, so it's not easy to play your game cause not many play anymore. So ethier go to brawl (wich I doubt there a snowballs chance in hell anyone here wiil) or wait it out and sezie the chance to revive melee.

Question, A lot of promelee player say there are a lot of people who play brawl cause everyone does, so why dont you guys find all of these people and get them back here to show them that a meleee comunity exist? Cause every time I just hear it but never see it.

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
Brawl never gets old. I played it with my two year younger cousin after School this year. He LOVED it. A Super Smash Bros. RPG would be nice.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Honestly, we should make a thread in which we compile every single Melee argument versus every single Brawl argument.

Melee will definately win by KO, because Brawl only knows how to camp and we all know how hard it is not to get cornered in a boxing ring.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I'm starting to get tired of Brawl. I miss Melee, so I'll probably start playing it more. But Brawl's always good for fun matches and online friendlies.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
@ mantis

You CANNOT tell us that we cannot dislike brawl. Not liking brawl is our opinion. An opinion is a statement of personal preference or point of view that CANNOT BE PROVEN WRONG. The fact that you're trying to prove it wrong proves your idiocy.

Let me put this in simple terms... Read the following analogy/conversation that I just made up:

Person 1: I've decided that red is my favorite color because it's awesome. I don't like green nearly as much, it doesn't fit my style and overall the just doesn't appeal to me much.
Person 2: You are wrong. You have to like both of them equally because they are both valid colors with their own good qualities.
Person 1: But green reminds me of vomit and nuclear waste... Besides, it isn't even primary.
Person 2: Green is amazing, so you gotta like it. Besides, disliking green is an insult to all the colors. You don't see me going around hating on red!
Person 1: It's an opinion, you can like whatever you want, you have that right. You could hate on red if you wanted, it would be your right, just as it's my right to dislike green.
Person 2: *lists reasons why green is awesome*

in this situation, you are person 2, everyone else in the thread is person 1. You are just making yourself look like a complete idiot. Person 1 also shows stupidity in this situation for taking person 2 seriously after his first statement. He should have just said "WTF what is wrong with you?" and walked away.

(I was originally made this conversation with "red" being "having sex with girls" and "green" being "having sex with guys", but I decided to change it as not to offend anyone, particularly Mantis, who would probably go nuts and just argue my reasoning with the point "I'm not gay")

EDIT: HoChiMinhTrail's link makes EXACTLY the same point.

Brawl never gets old. I played it with my two year younger cousin after School this year. He LOVED it. A Super Smash Bros. RPG would be nice.
lol, you're in the wrong topic.

Shroomed

Smash Master
All brawl is is camping with projectiles and hit and runs. Maximum amount of hits u can get is 3 unless ur opponent ****s up. There's nothing good about it competitively at all. Play for fun and never for competition

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
@ mantis

You CANNOT tell us that we cannot dislike brawl. Not liking brawl is our opinion. An opinion is a statement of personal preference or point of view that CANNOT BE PROVEN WRONG AS IT IS NOT. The fact that you're trying to prove it wrong proves your idiocy.

Let me put this in simple terms... Read the following analogy/conversation that I just made up:

Person 1: I've decided that red is my favorite color because it's awesome. I don't like green nearly as much, it doesn't fit my style and overall the just doesn't appeal to me much.
Person 2: You are wrong. You have to like both of them equally because they are both valid colors with their own good qualities.
Person 1: But green reminds me of vomit and nuclear waste... Besides, it isn't even primary.
Person 2: Green is amazing, so you gotta like it. Besides, disliking green is an insult to all the colors. You don't see me going around hating on red!
Person 1: It's an opinion, you can like whatever you want, you have that right. You could hate on red if you wanted, it would be your right, just as it's my right to dislike green.
Person 2: *lists reasons why green is awesome*

in this situation, you are person 2, everyone else in the thread is person 1. You are just making yourself look like a complete idiot. Person 1 also shows stupidity in this situation for taking person 2 seriously after his first statement. He should have just said "WTF what is wrong with you?" and walked away.

(I was originally made this conversation with "red" being "having sex with girls" and "green" being "having sex with guys", but I decided to change it as not to offend anyone, particularly Mantis, who would probably go nuts and just argue my reasoning with the point "I'm not gay"
I agree with what you have said, Mantis has left now I think since he cant awnser some questions as he knows he is in the wrong.

aflyinglamppost

Smash Cadet
Zanarkand, but sometimes in Hollow Bastien
Ok Brawl sucks now? Lets look at the errors Melee made that Brawl fixed.

Issue 1:Attack of the clones
In Melee characters such as Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Dr.Mario, Roy, and Young Link. Except for differences in speed and power they had the exact same movesets. In Brawl each character feels different and has different movesets. Falco for example kicks his reflector instead of putting it over his body. He has his own infinite combo as well. Toon link is very different from Link as well since Toon Link can jump high and his boomerang can be thrown at an angle.

Issue 2:Smashing across the world
The Gamecube was a system with the power to go online. Nintendo knew that with the competition giving gamers the global gaming experience they had to do something. Out of all the Gamecube titles that were good and relevant online one game is known:phantasy Star. Why didn't Nintendo add an online add on for Melee? The game came out back in 2001 and years passed. Brawl has online and even though it may not be the best at least the option is available.

Issue 3:Character suckage
Lets face it in Melee some characters had no chance of being good. People like Bowser, Mr.Game and Watch, Zelda, Yoshi, and Kirby got laughed at when picked in Melee. In Brawl however these characters have improved. I don't use G&W but I know that he is a savage. Bowser definitely stepped his game up and even though I don't main him I get the job done with him.

Issue 4:Suckage leads to tiers
Since alot of characters in Melee weren't the best this lead them to be divided by groups into something called tiers. This pretty much labels a character a certain way and at tournaments in Melee people who pick Bowser or Pichu get ridiculed. However in Brawl the term tiers is not needed. There is a reason why the term "Tiers are for Queers" exist.

Issue 5:Wavedashing = lame
At the end of the day its a glitch.

Issue 6:Lame HRC
The home run contest in Melee was lame. In Brawl they added more features which help you to get even further than you ever could in Melee.

Issue 7: No online lead to crappy end?
Nintendo should've included an add on for Melee to be online. The Gamecube had a crappy ending and Melee is partialy responsible because it didn't go online. Most companies didn't even want to give Gamecube exclusives and when they did they sent them to other systems because the Gamecube wasn't selling well. Some people may say this doesn't relate to Melee but think about it. Melee could have been the first successful online Gamecube game which would've let more companies to consider going online with the cube. Phantasy Star is cool but one online game is not. To this day I know people who still have an Xbox and play Halo 2 online and I also know people who own PS2's and play people online. Why couldn't it have been the same for the cube?
excuse me, but i disagree with issue # 3, i agree that brawl is awesome and the melee's clones were disappointing when u think about it, but kirby was my BEST character in melee and no one made fun of me, kirby is WAY better in melee then in brawl! i could beat loads of people with kirby, so for yo info, kirby was not laughed at when picked and neither were Zelda and GW! so, just so YOU know, ... you are incorrect. i think i've made my point! :)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Ok Brawl sucks now? Lets look at the errors Melee made that Brawl fixed.

Issue 1:Attack of the clones
In Melee characters such as Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Dr.Mario, Roy, and Young Link. Except for differences in speed and power they had the exact same movesets. In Brawl each character feels different and has different movesets. Falco for example kicks his reflector instead of putting it over his body. He has his own infinite combo as well. Toon link is very different from Link as well since Toon Link can jump high and his boomerang can be thrown at an angle.
Wolf, Falco, and Fox are all very similar characters in style. The thing about clones is that they may have the same attack animations, but they played differently. Link in Melee was one of my best characters, but I could hardly play as Y.Link because he felt so different.

Issue 2:Smashing across the world
The Gamecube was a system with the power to go online. Nintendo knew that with the competition giving gamers the global gaming experience they had to do something. Out of all the Gamecube titles that were good and relevant online one game is known:phantasy Star. Why didn't Nintendo add an online add on for Melee? The game came out back in 2001 and years passed. Brawl has online and even though it may not be the best at least the option is available.
This would be a debatable advantage if Brawl's online was actually good and worthwhile, but it isn't. It lags like no other. I can't tell you how many times I've SD on Final Destination because my up-b comes out late. Melee doesn't need online to be better than Brawl.

Issue 3:Character suckage
Lets face it in Melee some characters had no chance of being good. People like Bowser, Mr.Game and Watch, Zelda, Yoshi, and Kirby got laughed at when picked in Melee. In Brawl however these characters have improved. I don't use G&W but I know that he is a savage. Bowser definitely stepped his game up and even though I don't main him I get the job done with him.
lol, what? Low tier characters at least stood a chance in Melee. Brawl is a game with 35 characters and 2 tourney viable characters, Metaknight and Snake. Melee has 25 characters and at least 4 characters capable of winning: Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik. Don't tell me that Brawl is more balanced.

Issue 4:Suckage leads to tiers
Since alot of characters in Melee weren't the best this lead them to be divided by groups into something called tiers. This pretty much labels a character a certain way and at tournaments in Melee people who pick Bowser or Pichu get ridiculed. However in Brawl the term tiers is not needed. There is a reason why the term "Tiers are for Queers" exist.
Characters are going to be better than others in any video game where the cast actually play differently. Tiers is just an attempt of showing this and Brawl will have tiers too. Even without tiers, everyone already knows that Metaknight and Snake are at the top.

Issue 5:Wavedashing = lame
At the end of the day its a glitch.
If it weren't for wavedashing, characters would glitch through the stage if they airdodged into it. What's wrong with glitches anyway? Are you scared of them? Wavedashing isn't anything close to being unbalanced. It provides some simple spacing and helps out Luigi who still is low tier.

Issue 6:Lame HRC
The home run contest in Melee was lame. In Brawl they added more features which help you to get even further than you ever could in Melee.
Who the hell cares about HRC? I would say that less than 1% of a person's time playing Smash is spent at HRC. Brawl's stupid walls only made it to where all the characters rack up damage in the same exact fashion of hitting it against a barrier.

Issue 7: No online lead to crappy end?
Nintendo should've included an add on for Melee to be online. The Gamecube had a crappy ending and Melee is partialy responsible because it didn't go online. Most companies didn't even want to give Gamecube exclusives and when they did they sent them to other systems because the Gamecube wasn't selling well. Some people may say this doesn't relate to Melee but think about it. Melee could have been the first successful online Gamecube game which would've let more companies to consider going online with the cube. Phantasy Star is cool but one online game is not. To this day I know people who still have an Xbox and play Halo 2 online and I also know people who own PS2's and play people online. Why couldn't it have been the same for the cube?
You're not even really bashing the game anymore, you're just talking crap about the system. Maybe you haven't noticed, but Wii's online still sucks and is far behind from what XBox and Sony offer. We just now got news of voice chat, but 2 of Wii's best "attempts" at competitive games are already out, so it's not going to help much. Brawl's online sucks so badly that people would rather run around and taunt all day than fight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you want to here the issues with Brawl? Here we go!

Issue #1: Subspace was boring
After the first level of fighting primids, I had a feeling that the story mode was going to be a pointless beat em up where I'm going to be doing the same thing over and over. I was right too. All the levels were the same throughout and the bosses were all beaten the same way as well. There was no timing to defeat bosses. All you have to do is hit them. As for the epic last level... you get to go through all the levels you've played before! FREAKING FUN!

Issue #2: Event matches make no sense
What scenario ever had you grabbing lightning bolts to shrink DK and Diddy in order to defeat them? In melee, all of the Event matches had logical themes to them from A painful trip to the doctor's office, to a battle between Godzilla and King Kong. In Brawl, why am I fighting Diddy and DK at a Mario kart stage fighting for a lightning bolt? I don't get it.

Another thing, there are only 41 event matches (not counting the 2player ones that were almost the same events). Melee had 51.

Issue #3: It's slow
I could have understood if they had reduced the speed a little bit, but they really made it sluggish and floaty. When a character is sent off screen, it takes forever for them to come back. It's really.,... ugh

Issue #4: Risk does not equal Reward
This is the biggest issue I have. If working your way to find an opening in your opponent only allows you to inflict about 10%, then why bother when you can spam projectiles from a safe damage until you reach well over that? Nothing in the game gives a player initiative to go beyond their comfort zone and actually fight.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
What makes Brawl bad compared to melee? (not just bad, unthinkably horrible) I think I noticed it was not just after the small differences hit stun, no l canceling etc. it was when I realized "You can not tell the difference between a complete newb to a somewhat good/pro in Brawl." That's when it hit me.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
"You can not tell the difference between a complete newb to a somewhat good/pro in Brawl." That's when it hit me.
That's true...I would normally argue against that, being pro-Brawl, but that realization just hit me as well.

EvoZ

Smash Cadet
=), Don't get me wrong though, I do like playing a brawl match every month at least once.

Shroomed

Smash Master
What makes Brawl bad compared to melee? (not just bad, unthinkably horrible) I think I noticed it was not just after the small differences hit stun, no l canceling etc. it was when I realized "You can not tell the difference between a complete newb to a somewhat good/pro in Brawl." That's when it hit me.
this man speaks the truth. When melee players are bored walk to a brawl tv and beat the tourney placers having never played brawl competitively before, something is wrong. I dare someone to try that with melee.

otg

Smash Master
this man speaks the truth. When melee players are bored walk to a brawl tv and beat the tourney placers having never played brawl competitively before, something is wrong. I dare someone to try that with melee.
I played Brawl last night after not playing since May, and I went even against my friend who plays on a somewhat regular basis and won a local tourney or two. Conclusion: this game takes no skill.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
I just hate how you can't tell the difference between a good player or a crap player. You have to actually play them because there is no tech skill. And shield grabbing is gay.

I play Brawl because theres a huge competitive scene, but I still play Melee, not much of a scene around me, and I would be joining really late as I have been to only one Melee smashfest, but I played it religiously since it came out. I get "Brawled out" after tournaments so I just end up playing Melee massively.

Also agreed about all those noobs joining when Brawl came out. My account is new, but I lurked smashboards for years. I was a gfaqs noob for a long time -_-

daisey

Smash Apprentice
I played Brawl last night after not playing since May, and I went even against my friend who plays on a somewhat regular basis and won a local tourney or two. Conclusion: this game takes no skill.
amen to that, its what ive been saying to all of the brawlers here. I also hate their very cocky attitudes, which makes no sense cause it dosent take any skill what so ever to beat someone in brawl. At least when i get owned in melee i know that takes some amount of skill.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Purple mantis says wavedashing is a glithc, purple mantis is ignorant. wavedash = Landfall special

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I just hate how you can't tell the difference between a good player or a crap player. You have to actually play them because there is no tech skill.

I would have to disagree with that. Just because a person has amazing tech skill in Melee does not mean they are good at all (Well, my opinion). All it takes to have good tech skill is a few hours of solid practice until the button sequences stick to your brain. At the same time, if you have a person with good tech skill vs a person without tech skill, the person with the tech skill will probably win, regardless of the person's real skill.

But yeah, it's nice to know the other side of the story too.

I don't know if that made any sense, as I worded it quite badly to the point where it looks like I contradicted myself.

Also,

And shield grabbing is gay.
Opinion. (I love pointing these out)

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
I thought it would be self explanitory that tech skill =! all. I just didn't want to type it all out. My point is that its really hard to judge a players skill when you watch them play. I am one of those players that used less tech skill in Melee and used more thinking.

Either way you still have to play them in Brawl, you can't just watch the matches. Thats assuming you can't compare them to any other players.

taimaishu99

Smash Rookie
the moment i heard itd come out sequels always end up ruining things
(ignore the fact the ssbm is after the n64 version... lol)

also sonic and snake? wtf wheres megaman and zero really.... megaman's moves can fit perfectly if u think about it for a while...

Shroomed

Smash Master
the moment i heard itd come out sequels always end up ruining things
(ignore the fact the ssbm is after the n64 version... lol)

also sonic and snake? wtf wheres megaman and zero really.... megaman's moves can fit perfectly if u think about it for a while...
megaman would b perfect 4 this game, he would be able to spam which is how u win in brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom