• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
The variety of matches and combanations you can use. (IE Pichu Vs. YLink on Fourside) But than again that can be said for all the Smash games.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How about moonwalk to wall tech knee! I once ended a team combo zero to death with this. It was a wombo combo like none other and the recorded file got corrupted :(
Awwwwwww:( I would love to see that. We should play some matches once and a while. We do live in the same state. I wanna be the best Falcon in MD >_>

A feeling of control. I know exactly what you mean. That's really one of the main reasons I love Melee over brawl, and even Brawl+. It seems that in addition to taking AT's etc., they also went out of their way to make things annoying to control and stupid e.g. Falcon's Up-B, not enough friction, etc.
This is exactly how I feel.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
If you had to give just one reason why you love Melee so much, what would it be?

I used to be the most hopeless smasher. I couldn't wavedash or L-cancel to save my life. I remember thinking I'd never be able to waveshine or pillar with fox and falco. I remember practicing everyday for months and not seeing any improvement. And then I remember one day, out of nowhere, I pillared with Falco. I almost dropped my controller. Soon after, I was waveshining with Fox consistently. I pulled off my first triple knee shortly after that. The list goes on and on. For me, it's the feeling I get when I see myself doing things I thought impossible only months before. That's my favorite part.
...inspiring. I gotta practice up then.

Staying on topic, I'd say the community. I don't know that many people well but I know it's a whole lot better then what you'll get talking to a brawl player on a forum other than this. They're either ignorant or like melee as well.(meaning they like melee more and they're not ignorant...)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
my fav thing about melee is the balance amoung the top characters. \

the top 7 or so chars are all ridiculously balanced against one another, andits pretty incredible to have a fighting game dominates by 7 chars and not just 2 or 3

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Try to keep this from being brawl flaming please.

I just love the speed, movement, and craziness this game can create.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
I like how the game is pretty much played however you want it to be. You can customize so many options, set different win conditions in the game, and if you wanted, you could make the game as deep and competitive as you want.

Victawr

Smash Cadet
Being able to kill someone with a forward smash at a reasonable percentage.

**** brawl and its 150% survivals

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
I love that everytime I play, something weird/amazing/wtf worthy always happen. Even to this day, my friends and I are amazed at how much different stuff can happen in a game.

mzink*

Smash Ace
The way that it brings back so many fond memories. The fact that I built many great friendships through it. The fact that it was the base for my love of video games.

LLDL

Smash Hero
My favorite thing about Melee is freedom of movement. You have complete and utter control over everything you character does. As apposed to 64, where the gravity is just right, but the controller slightly limits your movement. Or brawl where you can barely move and you are basically baloons. Melee's gravity and movement engine is perfect in every way.

shogun.

Smash Rookie
free-form combos.
no real bnb combos.
character mobility.
captain falcon isnt bottom tier.

wool

Smash Ace
-It takes skill to play
-The community is awesome
-The game SEEMS childish which adds to the fun (IMO)
-The metagame is still advancing!!
-My cousin plays this game and me and him are both at the same lvl = lots of intense battles :D

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
A lvl 8 Falco wallteching my shine b air and then spiked me to my death.......consecutively T.T.
ROFL

I usually 4 stock my lvl 9 cpu's but every once in awhile they'll do something impossible for CPU's. For example my Fox will JC Shine or my Captain falcon will moonwalk out of my moves and Every the best part is when they start ledge-teching on their last lives. :laugh: Sometimes people like Gannon will ledge tech to like 205 damage then finally make it back and jab me off the edge and I'll SD. It's hilarious when CPU's do gay stuff like that.

That Aside my favorite part of melee is the action-packed, Edge of your seat, In your face, I can believe what I just saw!!!!! EPICNESS!!!!! It's just something you don't find in any many games. Not even in other smash games.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
almost ten years old,and still evolving. It's hard to get bored of a game when you can always get better.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
how addictive it is.

this is up there with Tetris and Mario World as one of the games I play the most.

Tamoo

Smash Master
the hype when watching a really intense and high skilled match, cant beat that on any game

being part of a competetive crew that live really close to each other

CriticalAcclaim

Smash Rookie
I love how it's so fast paced, and there's lots of advanced techniques. What's fun is that you can never completely master one. I mean If you can short hop good and if you're GOOD then your success rate will be like 99.9%, NEVER 100, just striving to be better. Also owning my friend, and at the end of the day having 30+ more kills :-)

Then going to a small group of friends and getting my *** WHOPPED

I don't like how my friend always johns though, he does it so much, I've almost gotten used to it. Here are his favorites (in order)

*I wasn't even really trying (he dishes this one out a LOT)
*I couldn't jump!! (then I reply "press a after you've been hit dude...)
*Man my controller didn't work!
*I didn't know luigi would go that far (side b) my response " are you sure you didn't die because of your skills, or lack thereof?"

Defqon.1

Smash Rookie
- Improvisational combos.
- Wavedashing.
- The sheer amount of control you can have over your character's movement.
- The game's skill ceiling being ridiculously high.
- Dropzones.
- The Knee being a combo move, kill move, and edgeguard in one.
- Captain Falcon.

Top Bottom