• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
If you had to give just one reason why you love Melee so much, what would it be?

I used to be the most hopeless smasher. I couldn't wavedash or L-cancel to save my life. I remember thinking I'd never be able to waveshine or pillar with fox and falco. I remember practicing everyday for months and not seeing any improvement. And then I remember one day, out of nowhere, I pillared with Falco. I almost dropped my controller. Soon after, I was waveshining with Fox consistently. I pulled off my first triple knee shortly after that. The list goes on and on. For me, it's the feeling I get when I see myself doing things I thought impossible only months before. That's my favorite part.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
My favorite part of melee was struggling to learn techniques, and finding a lot about the game for the first time. So I don't know... nostalgia?

Overload

Smash Lord
tons of room for improvement, endless amount of hours to be spent playing with another person, etc.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The fact there is ALWAYS someone better than me, and there is ALWAYS room to improve.

I mean, even at Ken's level, all the sudden, there was Pchris, follow be m2k and kdj, heck even before that, Azen and Chu were there to challenge.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Learning the ATs and improving. That was the best part for me. Seeing myself get better as I train.

Brawl. <_<

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Using Falco, there is always going to be new techs and strategies to get better with. Not to mention getting the **** pillar down XD

To be quite honest, I've tried to think of things I don't like and come up with nothing. Besides the exclusion of Ridley, I love everything, every aspect, however minute, about this game. I have for, what is it now... 5? 6 years? And I always will.

--The MOP

JrdnS

Smash Ace
the fun that me and my friends had staying up til 5 am. then the next morning playing some more.
with brawl we dont get that enjoyment. it seems after we play it for like 30 minutes or so it gets boring.
we play melee because you never know whos gonna win even if someones a whole stock down they could come back. and we didnt spend time getting good and learning ATs for nothin.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
my favorite thing is that no matter how many times you play, the same thing never happens twice and no matter how sure you are that you're going to win, it's never over till the fat lady sings (a la JrdnS).

thumbswayup

Smash Master
the fun that me and my friends had staying up til 5 am. then the next morning playing some more.
with brawl we dont get that enjoyment. it seems after we play it for like 30 minutes or so it gets boring.
we play melee because you never know whos gonna win even if someones a whole stock down they could come back. and we didnt spend time getting good and learning ATs for nothin.
My friends and I still stay up to 6 am playing Melee :) Not just a whole stock, I've come back from being four stocked to win, as have my friends. The fact that you haven't won the match until it's over makes every second in this game intense and exciting. I never give up in Melee, and it pays off a lot. If you're down a lot in Brawl, you don't have a chance in hell.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
My favorite thing about Melee is that is that it has unlimited potential
Everytime I thought I had learned and mastered every aspect of Melee, something surprises me

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
If you had to give just one reason why you love Melee so much, what would it be?

I used to be the most hopeless smasher. I couldn't wavedash or L-cancel to save my life. I remember thinking I'd never be able to waveshine or pillar with fox and falco. I remember practicing everyday for months and not seeing any improvement. And then I remember one day, out of nowhere, I pillared with Falco. I almost dropped my controller. Soon after, I was waveshining with Fox consistently. I pulled off my first triple knee shortly after that. The list goes on and on. For me, it's the feeling I get when I see myself doing things I thought impossible only months before. That's my favorite part.

OMG! I remember a long time ago when I get put down combo videos. I thought that I will never ever be able to do that. I thought that I wasn't the kind of person that does that stuff. I thought that no matter how long and how hard I trained I won't be like that. They were just a compeletly different legue.

How the hell am I going to Short Jump With Fox(that was imposible kind of hard for me) Then attack, Then Fastfall, and then L-Cancel. I was amazed that some people could do this in such a short period of time with FOX! Doing one Shuffle was hell for me.

Until I learned the most important lesson I learned in Melee.
Anything difficult action can become easy if you do it enough time.
I soon practised Short Hopping, was very hard at first. After just a week, I was doing it with no difficulty at all. I wasn't even thinking about it. I did it 99% percent of the time. WaveDashing only took a week and a half to learn. L-Cancelling and Shuffling both only took a week and a half. Soon, I learned a lot more. And I was comboing like the pros.
I still am amazed when I watch Shiz's combo vids. But now I know for certin that I could be that good if I trained.

Worst thing is... I'm too lazy now to train. :ohwell:

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
SH with fox for me is like 93% successful out of situations and SHL and SHDL are useful...I guess I kinda got the hang of wavedashing but how the heck are you suppose to SHDL while moving? It's like impossible!

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
SH with fox for me is like 93% successful out of situations and SHL and SHDL are useful...I guess I kinda got the hang of wavedashing but how the heck are you suppose to SHDL while moving? It's like impossible!

SHFFLing...I need work on that...

And edgeguarding needs some buffing too...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
some reasons are

wavedashing and L-cancelling: (yes, this is mainly what I like about Melee, if you think I solely like it for this purpose then you are wrong!)

No limitation: In Melee I have the feel of always getting better at an AT and I feel I can acheive a higher sense of achievement through playing and motivates me to keep on playing Melee, unlike Brawl which I feel like it's easy enough for me to say "I'm done"

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I have more than one.

1. The great memories I have with it.
2. Everything that makes it more skilled than Brawl.
3. Playing other people.

Off topic, thumbswayup, your sig owns.

L__

Smash Master
Pulling off my first 5 consecutive waveshines. After that, I fell to the ground and died. I'm now a spirit haunting my laptop. :p

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I love those tense situations where you're being crushed by someone who has tons more experience than you, and you know that you have very little chance of winning. The pressure is on, you start getting superhuman focus from your adrenaline and sheer determination to put an end to the fact that you're getting knocked all over the place without any resistance. Then suddenly, you create an opening and pull off some crazy combo that ends in a spike that could have been slipped into a M2K combo video and no one would have noticed the difference. Then your opponent starts to squirm and realizes that they need to put their all into it too. It ends up being a much closer match than you expected, and even though you lost, you know you pushed yourself to your limits, and know that as time goes on those limits will go higher.

PS this never happens in brawl :p

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I have more than one.

1. The great memories I have with it.
2. Everything that makes it more skilled than Brawl.
3. Playing other people.

Off topic, thumbswayup, your sig owns.

I just decided to go to a small Melee tourny tomorrow, rather than a big Brawl one with Azen and Chillin attending. Last minute I thought, "Why don't I pay less to play my favorite games with some friends instead of dropping 30 bucks to lose to a random Metaknight". I feel good about that :) More Melee tomorrow!! (and i was just playing for 6 hours straight :p)

Scar

#HarveyDent
IFor me, it's the feeling I get when I see myself doing things I thought impossible only months before. That's my favorite part.
The part that Brawl can never and will never offer. Oh well.

p.s. That's my favorite part too. There seems to be no limit to what I can do, the next match I play I might do something I couldn't do a minute ago.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
I love those tense situations where you're being crushed by someone who has tons more experience than you, and you know that you have very little chance of winning. The pressure is on, you start getting superhuman focus from your adrenaline and sheer determination to put an end to the fact that you're getting knocked all over the place without any resistance. Then suddenly, you create an opening and pull off some crazy combo that ends in a spike that could have been slipped into a M2K combo video and no one would have noticed the difference. Then your opponent starts to squirm and realizes that they need to put their all into it too. It ends up being a much closer match than you expected, and even though you lost, you know you pushed yourself to your limits, and know that as time goes on those limits will go higher.
Man, that's EPIC!!!

I wish something like that would happen to me. That woud be so awesome.

Kop

Smash Rookie
After I played Brawl I was just so grateful of Melee's existed. I love everything about Melee, especially the part where it doesn't take 3 days to become pro.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover

PS this never happens in brawl :p
Ahhh, that's an amazing feeling.
You're at high %, about to get 4stocked and smashed into oblivion, and you manage to pull something out of your *** to start a combo... bash 'em off the stage, and then a perfect edgeguard/edgehog/spike to finish them off. NO4STOCK4U. It's ALMOST as good as winning.^^

XD

thumbswayup

Smash Master
So I had an interesting dilemma (well not really lol) this weekend. On Saturday I had the option of going to a Sykesville (hour drive away) Brawl tourny (which I had planned to go to since last week) or a small Melee smashfest held by some guy that I had never been to before. I didn't even find out about the Melee tourny until Friday, the day before it was happening. At the very last minute I decided to go to the Melee tourny with Boss, Korn, Blues, Rei, and CK. My other friend who I was planning on going to the Brawl tourny with still went to Sykesville.

We had a blast, I was doing the craziest **** in Melee. I swear, everytime I play that game now I get exponentially better. There was about 17 people at the smashfest and we played all freaking day. I later found out that the Brawl tourny in Sykesville was a failure LOL. Only 23 people showed (normally they get 40-60 people) haha I guess Brawl is dying faster than we thought. I just had to smile that I spent less money on a closer and more fun tournament playing a much better game. Melee for life.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Speed for sure. I was used to more of a smash 64 speed when I came to melee, so I saw fox and C Falcon. Started out maining falcon due to his INSANE ground speed. Then I learned about ATs and learned that fox was slower on the ground but all his moves were ridiculously fast and starting maining fox.

So, speed.

Perfect example:
I was playing against dope(if you don;t know him, he's top 3 in the midwest at melee), he's DK I'm fox. It seems like a bad match up for him but he has all these crazy chaingrabs he can do to me. So first stock he nearly 0-deaths me, if I hadn't DI'd away from the punch I'd be dead. Later on I was down 2 stock to 1 and then, that moment you described happened. I was totally into the game and I pulled off the most epic combo to ever happen to me ever.
Drillshine->uair->uair->uair->uair
That got him to about 150% and after a bit of chasing around I got an up shmash off, to tie it up.
Then, he chaingrabs me some more, but I backthrow him and double shine spike to seal the victory. :D It was friendlies though, but still I was pretty freakin nervous because I mean, it's dope.

Proverbs

Smash Lord

Definitely the same here. I'm still trying to learn to pull off the YYG consistently so I can start trying to use it in matches. But when I start pulling it off consistently it's the most amazing feeling.

Top Bottom