• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

L__

Smash Master
Funny. I went to Naota's tournament just yesterday, tried Fox, and I won.

edit: That was the first few times I've played Brawl btw.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I posted in here before, but I wanted to add a couple things:

1. Melee actually has skill
2. Hitstun
3. L-canceling
4. Better music (which was completely destroyed in Brawl, being remixed)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Melee has countless sentimental memories for me, but in regards to game play, I can only say that it is nothing but complete. Melee blends speed, timing, reflexes, strategy...and more strategy to form one of the most appealing games ever. Melee has something for everyone!

TimmWith2Ms

Smash Rookie
Triple Dairs with Ganondorf and (on rare occasion) the triple knee with Captain Falcon. It feels oh-so-satisfying.

daisey

Smash Apprentice
melee is too good
i like huge tournaments mostly
i like suprising the person that im playing against
the fact that melee actually takes skill to win
i love peach vs fox
i like playing other people just as good as me or way better, i improve much more everytime.

battousai555

Smash Ace
Yesterday I was taking the Bowser challenge (obviously not the real one w/ Gimpy, Arash, etc.) w/ some of my noobish friends, and I did a sing-cancel and got a triple-rest on the sleeping B00zers. So I guess my favorite thing about Melee is that there's actually a noticeable skill gap. ^^

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I feel pretty manly when I play this game. I can tell people that me and the people I play with need to push a button every single time we want to land on the floor without getting *****. That I can rest and grab people out of phantasms. That if I beat you right now, I'll beat you tomorrow. That when I want to run to the edge to edgeguard, I don't fall on my ***. Just little things like that, you know?

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Really unique experiences vs computers:

My conclusion that it is easier to Ken combo Level 9's than Level 1's
Seeing a Level 1 CF walljump off Pokemon Stadium (original stage)
Level 1 Falco walltech
Me getting tauntspiked by Level 9 Luigi

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
In Melee, how much fun you have in directly proportional to how good you are, and since there is no practical limit on skill, you can look forward to massive amounts of fun.

In Brawl, how much fun you have is inversely proportional to how good you are, so it just gets dull after a while... (in my opinion)

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
I love those tense situations where you're being crushed by someone who has tons more experience than you, and you know that you have very little chance of winning. The pressure is on, you start getting superhuman focus from your adrenaline and sheer determination to put an end to the fact that you're getting knocked all over the place without any resistance. Then suddenly, you create an opening and pull off some crazy combo that ends in a spike that could have been slipped into a M2K combo video and no one would have noticed the difference. Then your opponent starts to squirm and realizes that they need to put their all into it too. It ends up being a much closer match than you expected, and even though you lost, you know you pushed yourself to your limits, and know that as time goes on those limits will go higher.

PS this never happens in brawl :p

QFT! my fav thing about melee was there was always always constant improvement. the metagame was changing drastically, even by the day. there was always somebody to beat.

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
The history.
I've got a different perspective on melee than most of you guys. I'm just starting with melee, because I love the long history it has. I love watching games from old tournaments and looking for threads about them, and seeing how excited people were about matches between big names. So I bought a gamecube, gave up on the wii, and picked up melee.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Really unique experiences vs computers:

My conclusion that it is easier to Ken combo Level 9's than Level 1's
Seeing a Level 1 CF walljump off Pokemon Stadium (original stage)
Level 1 Falco walltech
Me getting tauntspiked by Level 9 Luigi
I've had a level 1 falco walltech a shinespike. I'm pretty sure he smash DI into the stage aswell (otherwise he wouldnt have been able to walltech it, considering the angle i shinespiked him from)
and once lvl9 falcon sh'd a dair at me as I was coming back to the stage
cpus are funny lol, usually they just keep doing the same stupid things over and over but sometimes, randomly, they just do amazing ****

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The history.
I've got a different perspective on melee than most of you guys. I'm just starting with melee, because I love the long history it has. I love watching games from old tournaments and looking for threads about them, and seeing how excited people were about matches between big names. So I bought a gamecube, gave up on the wii, and picked up melee.
Why can't everyone with an '08 join date be like you

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I play melee because Skler and Pine play melee.
And Roman
And Darc
And Dave

Nuff said

Until you've finished a tournament and then you're just chillin outside eating some beeferoni with EggM, DJN, Zro, Skler and Pine, you can't say Brawl is better.

Top Bottom