• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
The history.
I've got a different perspective on melee than most of you guys. I'm just starting with melee, because I love the long history it has. I love watching games from old tournaments and looking for threads about them, and seeing how excited people were about matches between big names. So I bought a gamecube, gave up on the wii, and picked up melee.
Basically the same thing for me, but I've always had Melee, just never got into the tourney scene. I feel like I missed out on most of it. When I played Brawl, I got bored after a month and haven't touched it much since. That's what convinced me to go ahead and try to get into Melee again.

Anyway, my favorite part of Melee is Doc and Captain Falcon. ;)

Krevin

Smash Rookie
Samus being awesome.
Captain Falcon's knee actually being useful.
Sheik not sucking.
Roy.
Young Link.
Actually relying on skill to win a match.
Battlefield not burning my retinas.
Pokemon Stadium 1 actually being fun.
Dreamland 64.
PokeFloats...

I don't know, I can't pick just one. EVERYTHING about Melee is my favorite thing about Melee.

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Basically the same thing for me, but I've always had Melee, just never got into the tourney scene. I feel like I missed out on most of it. When I played Brawl, I got bored after a month and haven't touched it much since. That's what convinced me to go ahead and try to get into Melee again.

Anyway, my favorite part of Melee is Doc and Captain Falcon. ;)
Yeah, at least you have some melee practice, I've got a lot of catching up to do :).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Reverse Waveland from a Falco double jump, watching them grab the air, and F-smash punishing. PC Chris Style.

Keyy said:
The history.
Also this.

I still love watching old tourney matches. And the FC3 Crew battle.

EXTENDURRRRRR.

sikass

Smash Rookie
I love those tense situations where you're being crushed by someone who has tons more experience than you, and you know that you have very little chance of winning. The pressure is on, you start getting superhuman focus from your adrenaline and sheer determination to put an end to the fact that you're getting knocked all over the place without any resistance. Then suddenly, you create an opening and pull off some crazy combo that ends in a spike that could have been slipped into a M2K combo video and no one would have noticed the difference. Then your opponent starts to squirm and realizes that they need to put their all into it too. It ends up being a much closer match than you expected, and even though you lost, you know you pushed yourself to your limits, and know that as time goes on those limits will go higher.

PS this never happens in brawl :p
Indeed!

The fact that some matches just seem to be like Dragon Ball Z matches, you can boost your power level to go SSJ for short periods and completely own someone who would usually beat you.

Though, I had a similar situation to yours. My friend Mike was Fox and I was Marth on DL64. Fight started and bam, he got a shine spike within the first 30 seconds of the match with me only denting him with a chain grab til around 20% ( missed a grab ). Second stock comes up and after a tough fight, I end up killing him with me left at around 120%.

He respawns and gets me into a uthrow + uair combo. Easy peasy. He now has a fresh third stock and I'm on my 2nd-to-last stock. The ensuing stock fight leaves him at around 50% and me at 1 fresh stock. As I'm sitting on my respawn platform I tell him, "I'm going to win this." He looks at the stock count and starts to laugh. I remember thinking to myself, "time to Jiano it ( see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BWJ2bBlO1Q )." So in my head I go SSJ ( dorky as hell, I know ), then bust out a fair combo that could have ended in a Ken Combo but he shined me back to the stage before I could. He doesn't escape my tippered Fsmash, though.

He comes back in a fit of fury and tries gets me to the edge, trying to get me into a shine spike. I use my 2nd jump after he falls off of the stage to shine and nair him towards the stage. His percentage was too low or he would have gotten stage-spiked all the way down, but ( **** Fox's recovery ) he uses Firefox and makes it back. At this point, I'm on the edge waiting for his move and he's on the ledge, he tries to wave dash on to usmash me, but I see it coming and I counter, semi-spiking him. I follow his fall and do a fair to reverse dolphin slash.

Now he's worried! He pauses at the respawn platform and looks at the percentage then says, "you have to be kidding me... if I lose this, I'm quitting." I was at around 70%. He gets off of the platform and starts to SHL camp me and by the time I reach him, he tacked on an additional 10% of damage. I'm getting dangerously high now, but I had to keep my word. After the normal chain-grab, I get him to around 30% after he finally escapes it. That narrows the gap. A ferocious fight ensues and he manages to shield grab me as I approached with a SH double fair ( my spacing sucked back then ). This is almost certain death... He uthrows me but I DI slightly to the left, he tries to jump to uair me but misses the second ( stronger ) hit! However, thanks to Fox's speed, he's able to land before I did. He gets me in an uair, but lower to the ground, so I live. I'm at 120%, he's at around 70% and I guess he made a mistake, but he rushed at me with a running attack. I jump out of shield and dair spike him to bounce him up behind me ( I'm facing away from the ledge, while on the ledge ). I follow up with a bair to get him off the stage. He tries to illusion back and I neutral A him, he falls a bit and does his up B. I fall down to fair then pull off a spike with my 2nd jump, Ken Combo style.

I jump up off my bed and shout, "JIANO'D!" Well, thankfully, he didn't quit and promptly asked for a rematch, but I forgot the results of that match, it wasn't as epic. Heck, I can't believe I can remember so many details from that match, but it was so memorable.

brg

Smash Ace
0-death combos

THAT, my friends, feels good.

Especially with captain falcon (or marth)

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
So many people are quoting my response, I feel so special! XD

When I wrote that, I was thinking of this one time that I was losing a match badly, and I 0% to death'd a falco with marth on yoshi's island (the neutral one). I grabbed him underneath the bottom right platform, upthrew, I uptilted a few times on the platform, after one of them he tech rolled to the far left of the platform, he DI'd the next uptilt to be just under the top platform I uair'd him, he landed on the top platform, rolls to the far left again. I dair'd him to send him up, then dair'd him again to spike him onto the bottom left platform. He techs to the left again, where I fair him off the stage for an easy edgeguard.

I still lost the match though...

QuickSi1ver

Smash Cadet
I love how its fast paced you use your brain to play, like a strategy game and not hitting all the buttons and using 1 hit kill attacks. *cough final smash cough*

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
Pulling off my first 5 consecutive waveshines. After that, I fell to the ground and died. I'm now a spirit haunting my laptop. :p
Dont worry waveshining is really easy :D It wont take you long to master. Unlike JC'ing your shines lol that takes forever to even do once4 ;P

My all time favorite is moonwalking to a knee or a dair ;P

Wife

Smash Lord
Oh what a wonderful thread. I love hitstun and ledgegaurding very much. But if I had to pick one thing . . .

The way Falco looks like such a G. It's so classic. He looks like he belongs in Anime or some **** in Brawl. In melee he has the popped collar, holds the gun sideways, and ****s people up.

When I went to my first tourny, GO, I went back to my friend and was like "there were so many falcos there." he said "were they black?" I was like "how did you know?" and my friend just said "****, man, just look at him.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Oh what a wonderful thread. I love hitstun and ledgegaurding very much. But if I had to pick one thing . . .

The way Falco looks like such a G. It's so classic. He looks like he belongs in Anime or some **** in Brawl. In melee he has the popped collar, holds the gun sideways, and ****s people up.

When I went to my first tourny, GO, I went back to my friend and was like "there were so many falcos there." he said "were they black?" I was like "how did you know?" and my friend just said "****, man, just look at him.
lol wow, I never thought of that.
that's genius

thumbswayup

Smash Master

LMAO that's hilariously true.

ShadowMewtwo

Smash Cadet
My fav. thing about melee is beating my friends and brothers when they don't stand a chance with the new techniques I've learned
I new some of em but i learned more

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I liked what Wife said, but that isn't it for me.

I liked working my way up from the bottom of the food chain. I liked gaining friends and rivals along the way. I like the crowd. I like the speed, the hype, the adrenaline. I like the edge games. More than alllll of that, I love the journey from September 07 to whenever I can't play this game any more.

LSDX

Wah!
1. Fast paced fighting
2. Overall tournament setting
3. Skill>Luck
4. Tactical and full of technique
5. Better KNEE, hands down.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Crouch cancel grabbing, being able to safely attack shields, dash dancing, WAVEDASHING, Captain Falcon.

A lot of the people who have posted in this thread have grossly distorted perceptions of Brawl.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I like Snake and Wario, but I don't play Brawl anymore.

In Melee, I play mostly Marth and Fox, but I play a bunch of characters in friendlies.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Really? You seem to be defending it at times, I would never have guessed you quit playing it. I had seen one vid of you using Falcon vs Scar in a ditto, but I figured he wasn't your main. I mostly use Fox and Falcon, followed by Sheik and Falco. We should play if we ever actually meet lol

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think Brawl is a fine game, I just like Melee a lot more. Either way, I think it's ridiculous for anybody to claim that Brawl requires no skill.

The set where I ditto'd Scar is from a Tunes biweekly. Falcon was actually my primary character for a long time, but I've been playing him less and less recently. And yeah, I'd like that.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Jesus Christ ZoSo I was just browsing the boards and I read that someone didn't know that you stopped playing... I thought they meant Melee.

I WOULD DIE.

Top Bottom