• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

Wangster

Smash Apprentice
melee helped me with girl problems. wen i told girls i played melee they invited me over to their to smoke weed and eat barbecue.

yes... melee's that good

:)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The one thing I like about Melee is that the CPU is more predictable. They rarely defend against close range attacks, and it's rather easy to predict grabs since most CPU fighters would perform dash grabs instead of standstill grabs.

In Brawl, it's nearly impossible to predict what the CPU is gonna do since even the level 1s know how to perfect shield and shield grab.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Hey people new here I felt that as my first post this would be the best/most appropiate thread to post in. I guess what I like about melee is the fact that you have so much freedom/control over your character. I play a multitude of other fighting games and none seem to get to me as much as melee. I know most of it has been problably stated but I find the promise of infinite room for improvement remarkable. This is delivered in the form of learning you characters and self metagame. Advanced techniques are awesome to learn such as l canceling and trying to apply them in battle. Also theres instances where you reach that next threshhold of improvement in the form of a big step and you pause because you can believe it. Your fingers still tingling from the amount of amaziness you just accomplished. For me some instances were when I inversed drill shined my friend in a FFA, my first falco pillar or my first moonwalk to grab/downthrow/double knee.
Also whether it be one on one, FFA, serious or casual EVERY match ive played in melee has been memorable coupled with the expieriences/camradie of my friends as we do long marathons of playing that will stick with me for the rest of my life!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^ Not bad for your first post, but yes, the freedom of being able to do almost anything without limitations is one of the best things Melee has to offer, as well has room for improvement and going beyond your expectation to become a better player.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
One of the hardest thing to add to video games is the element of randomness.

For example if you throw a ball against the wall you know it can't fly at the very exact same position and the same speed without some change to the pattern.

Melee has that. (Not to an extent of real life, but very very far)

.Marik

is a social misfit
The one thing I like about Melee is that the CPU is more predictable. They rarely defend against close range attacks, and it's rather easy to predict grabs since most CPU fighters would perform dash grabs instead of standstill grabs.

In Brawl, it's nearly impossible to predict what the CPU is gonna do since even the level 1s know how to perfect shield and shield grab.
... I take it you like Brawl better, don't you?

Binx

Smash Master
I love how bad the melee scene rips on the brawl scene and how the brawl scene can't find anything bad to say about melee XD

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I love how bad the melee scene rips on the brawl scene and how the brawl scene can't find anything bad to say about melee XD
The only thing I don't like about Melee is that it doesn't have Lucario or PT. For everything else, Melee >>>> Brawl

ROFL?

Smash Cadet
Well of course I love Smash in general. The reason for that is for one it's originality. No other game is anything like it really when you get down to it. It's the only 2D fighter where the object is simply to knock your opponent off the screen. So simple, yet so complex. It's great. I also love the cast list of course. Mario, Pikachu, Fox, etc. the list just goes on and on and on...
But the reason I specifically love Melee compared to the other two games is the technical skill it takes to be an elite player. You can't just pick up the game and play for 20 minutes and be really any good. It rewards you for putting in hours and hours of work, even more so than the other games. I also enjoy the speed. I love speed in Smash. I main Fox in Melee so you get the picture there. The fast paced action is just sooooo addicting.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
... I take it you like Brawl better, don't you?
When I just want to have fun, it's much easier to annoy the Melee CPUs since they put up less of a fight than the Brawl CPUs.

If I want to get serious though, then I'd alternate to fighting Brawl CPUs.

Zeruda

Smash Cadet
I think my favorite thing about Melee is that it's ground-based fighting, so speedy characters are extra useful. I generally choose speedy characters in any fighter just because I prefer speed over anything else, so I really like Melee's style of fighting. Switching over to mid-air based in Brawl kinda stole that from me, but it's no biggie.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
true, but for those of us who got melee recently, we're discovering the joy of unlocking everything and trying out all the different characters.

Spending time fooling around with a new game is fun for a while.

DRD

Smash Lord
true, but for those of us who got melee recently, we're discovering the joy of unlocking everything and trying out all the different characters.

Spending time fooling around with a new game is fun for a while.
Keep playin dude

Melee needs more guys like you

:bee:

-------
Florida: The return of melee

remember it

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
For me it's simply the fun it brings when you're with a lot of people because it's so incredibly entertaining. And of course I like the enormous variety of characters there is, i love finding out which character really suits you.

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
For me,melee is special because its a game where u reauch ur limits,but you can break them an that makes this game so addicting for me^^

Eaode

Smash Champion
I love the movement options, and the amazing pace of the game. Spacing is such a dynamic thing- even when both players are at essentially a "neutral" position, it's not like they're standing still or anything, you're always dashing back and fourth, feinting approaches, WDing, empty SH's etc etc etc.

I watched a top Finals Match in Street Fighter, and the spacing game was so severely 1-dimensional, the players were just inching back and fourth, occasionally throwing out a quick sweep, and returning to inching back ad fourth. Smash is so much more dynamic, its a extremely fast paced fight for position, with so many options for feinting, spacing, and movement in general. It's so fast and fluid, yet so in control. Brawl's movement has so many less options, it's slippery, and the feeling of control overall is just lost.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I love how, when you finally start to grasp human vs. human play, you can see every little detail of what goes on in a match and improvise during the match or learn from it later.

mild or spicy

Smash Cadet
the gay thing about melee at high levels is like only watching your self play. with tech chases and di manipulation it becomes very gay and death is unavoidable.

fox has incredible broken counterpicks. so you always see that everyone has a fox even though they actually don't like the character itself.

ohh i also hate falco's lasers and the fact that hes stupid.

shieks supid noise she makes when she jumps.

throw in a little bit of limited stage selection.

the only thing i like about melee is that fox doesn't look like a **** squirrel. and doctor mario is cool too.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
the gay thing about melee at high levels is like only watching your self play. with tech chases and di manipulation it becomes very gay and death is unavoidable.

fox has incredible broken counterpicks. so you always see that everyone has a fox even though they actually don't like the character itself.

the only thing i like about melee is that fox doesn't look like a **** squirrel. and doctor mario is cool too.
Limited stage selection? Are you brain damaged ROFL Melee has six neutrals and Brawl has only FOUR. And the Brawl counterpicks are ****ing atrocious. And Fox looks like a ***got in Brawl.

Eaode

Smash Champion

This can go straight to this. lol.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Limited stage selection? Are you brain damaged ROFL Melee has six neutrals and Brawl has only FOUR. And the Brawl counterpicks are ****ing atrocious. And Fox looks like a ***got in Brawl.
LMFAO! tell em what it is though. QFT
Yes fox does look dumber in brawl.
Plus almost every one has a fox cause hes awesome lol

OH that mana cloud quote is F**king hilarious!

Top Bottom