• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to "spring back" as a player from an MK ban

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The possibility of a ban on MK exists. I've mained MK for a long time now and haven't needed any secondaries, so if it happens here I'll pretty much have to start over.

If your local TO started banning MK at his tournaments, what do you think would be best for "easing you in" to the tournament scene? I want to collect options and see what I can do for MK mains if he is banned. Feel free to suggest your own or comment on the ideas already listed. This is not an MK ban thread; this is a thread about what could help the MK players adapt quickly if he was banned.

Ideas so far:
-locally, previous solo MK mains get in singles and doubles for free for the initial event

-have a "cooldown" period where MK mains are told in advance when the ban will occur so they have X amount of time to practice a new character

-creating training videos for the top characters in the game so MK mains can choose their next character more easily

-creating a prediction video showing how the metagame will more than likely flow if MK is removed (and thus showing who would be useful to play) based on matchups, character density based on region, high profile mains (character density based on top players), etc.

-introducing players to BB, Brawl+, Brawl-, etc.

Slashy

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327 -Balanced Brawl

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260777 -Brawl+

Let's not forget that brilliant teams of hackers have been working for months now on improving Brawl's gameplay and balance. These modifications are easy to install and both of the mods I mentioned still try to preserve Brawl's gameplay in one way or another, with Balanced Brawl being a through balance patch that still keeps Metaknight as one of the best characters in the game, but gives the other characters a fighting chance. The only gameplay tweak is no prat falling from dashing (or as you guys call it, tripping). Most of your strategies should port over nicely.

Despite Brawl+ nerfing Metaknight to an extreme amount, he is still a good character. In this stage though, you may find too many differences to handle, or you might even pick up a new main character. If you're looking for a more offensive and faster gameplay experience, Brawl+ is for you. It is also worth mentioning that Brawl+ probably has one of the greatest balance to roster size ratios ever. Just understand it is supposed to be Brawl as a more competitive game, using previous Smash games as inspiration (mainly Smash 64), so you won't find wavedashing or L-Canceling (it's automatic) here.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This is why I dual main with MK and Falcon, and have Marth and Falco as secondaries, so I have a fair back-up plan in case MK ever gets banned, which I still doubt.

But really, dual maining now will get you where you want to be, gives you leeway if MK ever gets banned, and you don't stall for a second if he does.

The Cape

Smash Master
Let's not forget that brilliant teams of hackers have been working for months now on improving Brawl's gameplay and balance. These modifications are easy to install and both of the mods I mentioned still try to preserve Brawl's gameplay in one way or another, with Balanced Brawl being a through balance patch that still keeps Metaknight as one of the best characters in the game, but gives the other characters a fighting chance. The only gameplay tweak is no prat falling from dashing (or as you guys call it, tripping). Most of your strategies should port over nicely.
This also removes (if I recall)

The grab release shenanigans by Bowser, DK, and against Wario (and the like) and jab locks as well as a few other tactics that were deemed uncompetitive.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
If Meta Knight were to be banned, I would go back to Toon Link.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
d'aw this thread makes me sad. Well if MK gets banned you can still play as him. Here's what you do:

1. Get the maskless meta knight texture hack for Kirby here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2PJ3PKAG

2. Set the hack to the blue Kirby

3. ???

4. Profit!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
How funny Overswarm, I was just about to make a thread for you called "Ways to "spring back" as a player from a gay stage ban". It involves stuff like teaching you how to play on neutrals, how to rely less on counterpicks to win matches, how to actually beat lain in a tourney for once in your life, etc.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
This was worded creepily, almost as if a group of people were being ***** of their culture and slowly adjusted to their new foreign, unchosen one.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Feel free to suggest your own or comment on the ideas already listed. This is not an MK ban thread; this is a thread about what could help the MK players adapt quickly if he was banned.
Play Melee or 64 because their community isn't so whiny and stupid that they ban the best character in the game who doesn't even win big tournaments.

That's what I'll be doing anyways.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Again, there are other Brawl spinoffs you can play where Metaknight will never be banned.
even better than that, he's never going to be banned in vbrawl, so you don't even have to concern yourself with hacks and trying to make hacked games mainstream competitive : )

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Keep on topic. This really isn't an MK banned thread.

Some areas still to this day have MK banned events as their common tournaments. It could happen in just about any area that had TOs that decided to do so! It doesn't even have to be logical.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
If a Brawl+ SoCal scene started up I'd definitely play that if MK got banned.

But everyone here seems to hate Brawl+ for some reason so...

Jem.

Smash Master
We all pick up the next best character, make them broken, until we only have captain falcon left. thus, falcon onry brawl national tournaments.

In all seriousness, the best thing to do is to practice tertiaries in friendlies vs good players. I personally play Marth/Falco for fun too so if MK ever gets banned, I'll be ready.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
just play up GW..seriously...any smart player can pick up GW in a couple days

inb4GWmainsthinktheregood

NNID
Budget_Player
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327 -Balanced Brawl

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260777 -Brawl+

Despite Brawl+ nerfing Metaknight to an extreme amount, he is still a good character. In this stage though, you may find too many differences to handle, or you might even pick up a new main character. If you're looking for a more offensive and faster gameplay experience, Brawl+ is for you. It is also worth mentioning that Brawl+ probably has one of the greatest balance to roster size ratios ever. Just understand it is supposed to be Brawl as a more competitive game, using previous Smash games as inspiration (mainly Smash 64), so you won't find wavedashing or L-Canceling (it's automatic) here.
Slaaaaashy....

Brawl+ and BBrawl nerf MK. You gotta get the right hack to really play MK. Current MK build features:
-Dsmash where both hits connect
-Tornado where the last hit does more damage and is a pretty **** brutal spike
-Glide Attack hits as a semispike
-Shuttle loop does more damage
-Dair has a lower angle (350 from 20) and does more damage
-A way to force an approach against campy chars
-specials go into a sonic-like state; you can then attack or jump or airdodge...
...among other buffs
Play Brawl-, where MK is getting his *** buffed. :V

etecoon

Smash Hero
even though that was a joke post, still going to go out of my way to spite you people and remind you that hacked brawl will never be the mainstream, the logistics just don't work.

Browny

Smash Hater
If your local TO started banning MK at his tournaments, what do you think would be best for "easing you in" to the tournament scene?

Ideas so far:
-locally, previous solo MK mains get in singles and doubles for free for the initial event

-have a "cooldown" period where MK mains are told in advance when the ban will occur so they have X amount of time to practice a new character

-creating training videos for the top characters in the game so MK mains can choose their next character more easily
May I suggest drinking some concrete?

(might be an australia-only reference im not sure lol)

Saltix

Smash Lord
How funny Overswarm, I was just about to make a thread for you called "Ways to "spring back" as a player from a gay stage ban". It involves stuff like teaching you how to play on neutrals, how to rely less on counterpicks to win matches, how to actually beat lain in a tourney for once in your life, etc.
Make it please!

The possibility of a ban on MK exists. I've mained MK for a long time now and haven't needed any secondaries, so if it happens here I'll pretty much have to start over.

If your local TO started banning MK at his tournaments, what do you think would be best for "easing you in" to the tournament scene? I want to collect options and see what I can do for MK mains if he is banned. Feel free to suggest your own or comment on the ideas already listed. This is not an MK ban thread; this is a thread about what could help the MK players adapt quickly if he was banned.

Ideas so far:

-creating a prediction video showing how the metagame will more than likely flow if MK is removed (and thus showing who would be useful to play) based on matchups, character density based on region, high profile mains (character density based on top players), etc.

-introducing players to BB, Brawl+, Brawl-, etc.
No offense OS, but we're not kids, and we don't need to be coaxed into new things. If MK ever got banned, people don't need their hands held and get different treatment. Free tourney entry? training videos?! Wow.

I think that the best idea you have listed is the prediction video, and that someone should get started on making it :o

Judo777

Smash Master
Play Melee or 64 because their community isn't so whiny and stupid that they ban the best character in the game who doesn't even win big tournaments.

That's what I'll be doing anyways.
Quoted for making his point void in his own post.* Why would they ban a character that isn't winning tourneys?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Make it please!

No offense OS, but we're not kids, and we don't need to be coaxed into new things. If MK ever got banned, people don't need their hands held and get different treatment. Free tourney entry? training videos?! Wow.

I think that the best idea you have listed is the prediction video, and that someone should get started on making it :o
The top players in the game might not need much help, but medium level players that have dropped their main for MK might want some sort of guidance. Those were just my suggestions though, it's why I made the thread. I wanted more!

M@v

Subarashii!
He is not going to get banned, but if he did, the approach of making the ban start a couple months from the announcement would be the best. That way everyone has time to practice a new character. Not everyone will need that time, but its the safe way.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
The top players in the game might not need much help, but medium level players that have dropped their main for MK might want some sort of guidance. Those were just my suggestions though, it's why I made the thread. I wanted more!
What kind of guidance? You mean sticking to one character?

Top Bottom