• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else feel like U-throwing your opponent can open up alot more options vs your opponent opposed to F-throw?

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
U-throw puts the opponent roughly vertically above you which limits your attack options to only U-air or Up B or maybe a fart if they don't air dodge. F-throw puts them in the air and in front of you so you can do F-air, N-air, B-air, D-air, U-air, Fart. Also, if they air dodge you, it can A) be easily read and punished or B) you can land safely away to avoid a counter attack from the ground. Throwing them up will give them a chance to attack back when you are in a situation where it is hard to handle (Warios amazing horizontal DI is very hard to use when moving into a vertical attack) and also if they spot dodge and land on the ground first they can counter attack forcing you to be damaged or space away. Also, very rarely if the opponent has horrible DI, the F-throw will kill, which is what we should be aiming for anyway.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
U-throw puts the opponent roughly vertically above you which limits your attack options to only U-air or Up B or maybe a fart if they don't air dodge. F-throw puts them in the air and in front of you so you can do F-air, N-air, B-air, D-air, U-air, Fart. Also, if they air dodge you, it can A) be easily read and punished or B) you can land safely away to avoid a counter attack from the ground. Throwing them up will give them a chance to attack back when you are in a situation where it is hard to handle (Warios amazing horizontal DI is very hard to use when moving into a vertical attack) and also if they spot dodge and land on the ground first they can counter attack forcing you to be damaged or space away. Also, very rarely if the opponent has horrible DI, the F-throw will kill, which is what we should be aiming for anyway.

****, very well said new poster.

It is matchup dependant, although you share my general opinion. F-throw is a much better choice most of the time, but an occasional u-throw is nice in some situations.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Fatty beasted that post.

I do OCCASIONALLY use upthrow if 1) I have a full waft and 2) they are in kill range from more than just the waft.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Glide Toss > Waft is better than Glide Toss > Fsmash... and Upthrow wheel > Dthrow > Fsmash is god, as Quik so painfully found out :p

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I know bite is a really good move, but i dont know how to space it. I watched Phantom's vids vs dojo's kirby, and he just jumps behind his kirby and reverse bites em. I do this on the computers, but when i use it in a match, i just can't do it. They don't just sit there. What should I do to set up the reverse bite? I need other bite set ups as well.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
I know bite is a really good move, but i dont know how to space it. I watched Phantom's vids vs dojo's kirby, and he just jumps behind his kirby and reverse bites em. I do this on the computers, but when i use it in a match, i just can't do it. They don't just sit there. What should I do to set up the reverse bite? I need other bite set ups as well.
i find it helps a lot if you're unpredictable with your approach
if you're always doing the same thing, they'll start reacting to it and countering it before you even finish your move. However, if you mix it up, they'll never know where you're coming from and that causes them to stay in their shield a lot so they dont get hit. at that point, you can start to bite them

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Either SDI hard enough to not get spiked into klaptraps (b/c if you get hit into the water and SDI to the right you can survive that), wait til you hit like 20-30 from lasers, or do rising dairs and then dj away. This isn't guaranteed to be safe though as Falco's jab is stupid.
Ya I did double stick DI and it worked most of the time but I think he got lucky on those two and was positioned right at the ledge so I couldn't DI enough to hit the platform. The other two sound good at prevention though, I'd really rather not take 55 damage... does Wario get out of the CG earlier than 45?

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Do full hop D-air to pressure their shield, then fall behind them and reverse bite. Like Phantom X said, you need to condition them into standing still. Also, characters that like to grab release or chaingrab you, such as DDD or Falco, are more likely to stand still because they want the free damage on you. Just know your matchups. Also, I am ******** and don't know how to multiquote, despite their being a multiquote option. Anyone help please? Just wanted to tell Nefariious B that you can't get out of Falco's chaingrab before 45%. However, it is possible to jump out of it if he tries to boost pivot grab you.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Click the multiquote button on the first posts you want to quote, then the regular quote button on the last one.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Do full hop D-air to pressure their shield, then fall behind them and reverse bite. Like Phantom X said, you need to condition them into standing still. Also, characters that like to grab release or chaingrab you, such as DDD or Falco, are more likely to stand still because they want the free damage on you. Just know your matchups. Also, I am ******** and don't know how to multiquote, despite their being a multiquote option. Anyone help please? Just wanted to tell Nefariious B that you can't get out of Falco's chaingrab before 45%. However, it is possible to jump out of it if he tries to boost pivot grab you.
Click the multiquote button on the first posts you want to quote, then the regular quote button on the last one.
Hooray! I just quoted myself. Thanks Phloat.

Gichan

Smash Champion
quickly flick the control stick to the opposite direction and quickly press b. Should work.

Bite owns, it is definitetly your best friend in matchups where people wanna be gay, DDD and Falco, as someone mentioned before. Even against some marths who are waiting to do an upb oos.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You got that out of order, Gi. What you described is a simple quick turn + bite. In order to pivot bite you press b and then instantly hit the opposite direction on the control stick, after releasing b. Lots of moves can be pivoted.

mofo_

Smash Ace
does wario only get star KO suicide from a full waft?

........also....can wario make it over the Shadow Moses watchtowers?

Gichan

Smash Champion
You got that out of order, Gi. What you described is a simple quick turn + bite. In order to pivot bite you press b and then instantly hit the opposite direction on the control stick, after releasing b. Lots of moves can be pivoted.
Oh ****...I have something to learn now.

Another thing, I am having trouble with doing the bike-tripping thing at the edge. Is it because I need to do what you just described, and not the quick turn bike?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can't pivot side B moves, haha, just certain up, neutral, and down b ones. You just need to run off the stage and hit side b towards it pretty much as soon as you run off.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yea i keep using fsmash oos instead of nair or fair coz i keep being a nubcake.

any other common mistakes or habits to not fall into?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
For one, it's not an infinite in any way shape or form, as we can DI footstools and ASDI the backairs. For another, it's going to be **** near impossible to pull off on a Wario that DIs or SDIs at all. I've had countless Sheik's try this **** on me after grab releasing into footstools and it never works. There are also at least 6 frames we have to move/avoid it. They're just trying to blow something nonsubstantial out of proportion b/c their character isn't particularly great.

Even if they find some way to make it guaranteed, at worst it'll turn out like Peach's footstool combo, in that we can just ASDI and DI to the sides of the stage and make it a like 2-3 grab max thing.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
It auto-cancels at a certain frame, thats basically it.
This guy is right. Most aerials can auto-cancel, and generally the frames that it auto-cancels on are fairly late in th attack. I can't really give any specifics, though?

Anyway, I have my own question. I'm trying to pick up Wario now, and I don't really know much about him. I know stuff like 'stay in the air', 'don't get grabbed', 'don't use DSmash' etc., but what are some other good tactics for a noob Wario to start learning?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
This guy is right. Most aerials can auto-cancel, and generally the frames that it auto-cancels on are fairly late in th attack. I can't really give any specifics, though?

Anyway, I have my own question. I'm trying to pick up Wario now, and I don't really know much about him. I know stuff like 'stay in the air', 'don't get grabbed', 'don't use DSmash' etc., but what are some other good tactics for a noob Wario to start learning?
There's not much to practice as wario. Learning how to autocancel your dair frame perfectly is too good.

Popertop

Smash Champion
you have to learn spacing.

Wario takes a while to pick up really well, and he has a lot of tricks and stuff.

Learn his grabs, grab setups, how to juggle.

It's not important to worry about recovery too much when you are new, but you need to know when to recover high/low etc.

BMX

Smash Lord
Mindgames, spacing, and Wario advanced tactics are key to an awesome Wario.

Plus, you must think he's the best character in the game. I do. ^_^ **** MK!

A player picking up Wario must be able to adjust to his unique style. Sure he easy to pick up at first, but advance with him and people see that he's a force not to be reckoned with.

Doedekjin

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to cancel bite, or make it break earlier than usual? Does it have the same breaking mechanics like a normal grab, I noticed it lasts longer at high percentages, while Wariociding I wanted to try and see if I could get back up on the ledge by tossing characters who have poor recoveries, but every time I try it just ends up with a normal Wariociding.

TL;DR: Does the other player mashing controls break bite earlier or is there a secret to canceling it early to recover?

Top Bottom