• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It works exactly like a grab, if you want to try to gimp someone with bad recovery by biting you probably want to try it around 30% or less, in case they don't mash in an attempt to drag you down with them.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
Also, you'll want to be mashing as fast as you can when trying to wariocide, so you can get them out quickly. Therefore, whenever i am mashing, i always hold side and just mash b so that i can pull out my bike as soon as wario spits them out. That way you wont do an aerial or use a different b move.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That actually makes me wonder... has anyone tested if people break out of grabs based on their initial damage when grabbed or their final damage?

Also... why didn't omegablackmage play with me?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I think it's based on initial damage. An easy way to test this would be to go to training mode and grab someone at 0% then quickly set their damage to 999%.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
That actually makes me wonder... has anyone tested if people break out of grabs based on their initial damage when grabbed or their final damage?

Also... why didn't omegablackmage play with me?
he chews like 6 or 7 times max, and then spits them out. if the other person is mashing to get out, too, he'll get out well before 6 or 7 times. My point is that you want to be ready when the opponent gets spit out, so hold left or right and mash b.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
no... just no

wow PhantomX I expected more from you, uthrow is actually really good, watch how Afro Thunder uses (er... used it) for example it if you want to see why
I agree. Characters with bad aerial movement, bad options from below, floaty and no other tricks (b reversal ect) get really nervous. Fthrow does nice damage but doesn't combo or put wario in a good position,
If you're good at predicting an airdodge its too good.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Everyone has their preferences, Masky. I'm not amazing at predicting people so uthrow is less useful for me than the guaranteed damage of fthrow... besides, my Wario isn't like most... I prefer to pressure people offstage than onstage.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Everyone has their preferences, Masky. I'm not amazing at predicting people so uthrow is less useful for me than the guaranteed damage of fthrow... besides, my Wario isn't like most... I prefer to pressure people offstage than onstage.
you can also pivot grab them if they try to Dair you

but yeah, onstage pressure is legit, you get lots of damage from Wario's grab mixups, and putting people in bad position makes them predictable.

offstage is good, but I mainly like to do that at higher percents (at low percents too if they have a bad recovery)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
no... just no

wow PhantomX I expected more from you, uthrow is actually really good, watch how Afro Thunder uses (er... used it) for example it if you want to see why
What you fail to realize, my good sir, is that Wario's f-throw makes you spin.

Spinning is cool, and makes them dizzy. Why would you u-throw ever?

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, Um i need some match-up help for metaknight.
Okay well my sis has Spammy mk She literally just d-smash nado and up+b and her approach is a dash d-throw grab with f-air and when Im on top of her U-air. I can easily punish that spam at sv and FD but she loves picking Bf and Yoshi island( Yoshi because that green ledge pop-ups to save her butt so many times).

I read the guide on his match-up but I just cant seem to beat her I mean like just now I was playing her on Yoshi I would approach her with D-air she would either take da full shield and punish me with d-smash or when she's high % she would start planking or when we're both high % She would go on the other side spamming d-smash. Or when im up a stock she would pause da game to get some Bs water <.<

I kinda figure out My f-air stops her up+b glide mode. But I just keep falling for those dam d-smash that dont get affected by stale moves and up+b to finsh me off.
I go for f-throw grabs whenever I can,Normallly I dont play her But since my parents dont have the money for wi-fi (Using neighbors for wi-fi). I have no choice for some kinda of Decent Practice
So anything i should be doing differntly Be more patient I think
Sorry for big Text.

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
alrighty. so i've been watching japanese matches recently.
and i've noticed that wario players there, kite specifically, use uair to di
why? if i remember right uair is 10 frames longer than dair or fair.

ace_brawler2

Smash Cadet
The search didn't come up with this, so don't flame if it's been asked.

What is air camping, and is their a video explaining it or using it thoroughly?

Also, when should dtilt be used?

Padô

Smash Lord
Wario is one of the lttle amount of characters that can aircamp, it's basically like laser camp but floating with retreated aerials...

When you know MK is coming with Dtilt, finger his face

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
The search didn't come up with this, so don't flame if it's been asked.

What is air camping, and is their a video explaining it or using it thoroughly?

Also, when should dtilt be used?
Its basically Full jumping around airdodging everything and only striking when you see the perfect oppertunity. If you dont like what you see double jump repeat and get back to the stage to refresh you jumps.

What do you guys think of having the bike on the stage (watch kite vids).

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Okay i have some questions. I really like the way Wario plays and he'll fit nicely to my main Marth. (i have to change the icon lol but im to lazy) Anyway, here are some questions:

1. What are the main things i should know and/or remind when i play Wario?

2. Sometimes when i do DACUS, it doesn't do the long distance one, how do you do the long distance DACUS?

3. How do you fight MetaKnight? Are there any moves i should abuse, how do i approach, how do i punish, possibly edgeguarding??

4. How do i do a buffer Dthrow in order to CG some of the cast?

I hope you guys can help me by answering those questions. Thnx in advance !~!

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If we're trapped by a Falcon and he's punching, we can just bite it.

The Japanese use upair b/c they're dumb? I donno, maybe they don't understand the concept of momentum canceling entirely yet.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
FYI aerials dont take away any horizontal momentum at all. for momentum slowing with aerials to work you have to DI the hit upwards and dair so you go into the corner...

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Okay i have some questions. I really like the way Wario plays and he'll fit nicely to my main Marth. (i have to change the icon lol but im to lazy) Anyway, here are some questions:

1. What are the main things i should know and/or remind when i play Wario?

Be unpredictable. Stay in the air most of the time. Don't get grabbed. If you do, do a ground grab break. Mindgames.

2. Sometimes when i do DACUS, it doesn't do the long distance one, how do you do the long distance DACUS?

Just practice. I had (have) the same problem. It gets better with practice

3. How do you fight MetaKnight? Are there any moves i should abuse, how do i approach, how do i punish, possibly edgeguarding??

I'm not too sure. But:
Ftilt goes through tornado and has great range, use it to kill
SDI out of the Tornado
Dair through the top of the tornado
Dair > Shuttle Loop
I don't get to play IRL people enough, let alone MK's

4. How do i do a buffer Dthrow in order to CG some of the cast?
Eh, just input the turnaround grab before the grab's complete

I hope you guys can help me by answering those questions. Thnx in advance !~!
omg10charslookup

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
FYI aerials dont take away any horizontal momentum at all. for momentum slowing with aerials to work you have to DI the hit upwards and dair so you go into the corner...
Don't tell them upwards, the direction you DI depends on the trajectory of the hit. For horizontal hits you go straight upwards...

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
you only do the aerial just to pull you out of your tumble animation. Its actually the double jump and fastfall that come right after the aerial that actually cancel your momentum.

this is why doing your dair is best to survive with because it does your fastest aerial and fastfalls you all in one. You just need to double jump afterwards.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, Um i need some match-up help for metaknight.
Okay well my sis has Spammy mk She literally just d-smash nado and up+b and her approach is a dash d-throw grab with f-air and when Im on top of her U-air. I can easily punish that spam at sv and FD but she loves picking Bf and Yoshi island( Yoshi because that green ledge pop-ups to save her butt so many times).

I read the guide on his match-up but I just cant seem to beat her I mean like just now I was playing her on Yoshi I would approach her with D-air she would either take da full shield and punish me with d-smash or when she's high % she would start planking or when we're both high % She would go on the other side spamming d-smash. Or when im up a stock she would pause da game to get some Bs water <.<

I kinda figure out My f-air stops her up+b glide mode. But I just keep falling for those dam d-smash that dont get affected by stale moves and up+b to finsh me off.
I go for f-throw grabs whenever I can,Normallly I dont play her But since my parents dont have the money for wi-fi (Using neighbors for wi-fi). I have no choice for some kinda of Decent Practice
So anything i should be doing differntly Be more patient I think
Sorry for big Text.

Any help sorry for Double

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
any general tips for hitting with waft or the best ways to hit w/ it (set-ups, scenarios, etc.)?

also is it bad to hold on to a fully charged waft for a long time or to just take a risk with it so u can just charge one with actual kill power all over again?

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Sorry this might be a newbish question but how do you do the stuff OoS? I only know how to Jump Cancel the shield like with Marth's UpB but how do you Shield cancel to a Ftilt or Fsmash??

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah grounded moves are usually not really cancelled out of shield, like phloat said, you just drop your shield and do the move. For aerials, jumping drops your shield instantly so things like up b and any aerial could be done out of shield.

This had more application in melee where you could jump out and then wavedash back to the ground.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Dunno why you say a camping Wario is for bad Warios Phantom, try camping MK or other fast characters, its almost harder then fighting them mono-e-mono, lol.

Top Bottom