• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

Hype

Smash Lord
Match 1:

I'll admit I don't know the Ike match up but I'll give it a try.

0:04 - Could have had a better follow up than Utilt, turn around grab or Nair are much better options. Utilt works, but not very well at this percent.

0:46 - Dair out of shield would have been better.

1:07 - Could have got a grab jab in there, every bit counts. Unless this guy breaks out of grabs like reflex. Sometimes people don't grab jab so their opponents wont have time to DI, but that only applies to MK's Fthrow, all the rest take so long anyway.

1:10 - Again, Dair out of shield would have been better. Nair is better if they are in range but if they aren't Dair is the way to go. Try to gauge how far away you will be and react accordingly.

2:04 - I'm not entirely sure about how much lag Ike's up B has but it looks like you could have punished better here. It looks like you could have gotten a grab, but I might be wrong.

2:13 - you could have hit him with a Dsmash here, probably the back end it and got a pretty easy gimp.

2:35 - Nice combo, your aggressiveness seems to work well once you get inside his range.

2:59 - Slight miss in spacing on your part, a fast falled dair would have done the trick.

3:03 - Good choice using the long lasting Nair to beat his spot dodge.

Overall your pretty good. You punished in the optimal way most of the time. based on this first vid the main thing you need to work on with respect to punishing is when to use Nair and when to use Diar out of shield. I'm just theorizing but one thing that would probably work well if you incorporated it into your game is using grounded SL to rip though Ike's spaced Fair.

Match 2:

0:07 - Screwed up a turn around grab? You get 20% for it.

0:39 :confused:

2:03 - I wouldn't have edgehogged here, it allowed him back on the stage.

2:15 - Bthrow would have been better here.

2:50 - Nice mix up on the timing of the tornado

2:55 - You hesitated after the Dtilt and couldn't get the grab. It's understandable because it's hard to react quickly to the trip and most players will spot dodge if they don't trip after a dtilt. I'm starting to implement other follow ups after a dtilt just ebcause I can't react to the trip fast enough.

3:38 - I would have Bthrowed to get him off stage. I haven't played a good Ike before in singles but I was under the impression they were easy to gimp.

In conclusion you seem to know what you doing with MK. you've got good DI and know all about the invincible Nair stuff. You could also read your opponent really well, but im not sure if that's just cause you play him often. I'd watch those glide attacks though, you got punished a few times for them by jab combos and that Fsmash. Good MK though.

I don't feel like going after the other 2

noodles

Smash Champion
i play him often now but when they recorded that it was the 2nd time i played them. thx for the critique.

Hype

Smash Lord
Ok boys, i picked up metaknight about half an hour before making these vids. I think Im OK with him, so tell me what i can change up and what skills to use more and stuff. Also i never read anything about this guy.

i would say that the first 2 would be the best to rate since i lost those, but u can rate the other ones too if you want

1.SmashVille Game-I lose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxwqNCzMyc

2.Battle Field Game- A crushing defete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnvHaUqA1qQ

3. SmashVille round 2-Victory!

4. Battlefield Round2- Yay i win

5. Delfino Plaza- A good game but i win

OK You tube jsut went down so you cant watc hthese and i cant get links for the othe r3 yet. So soon i will update them!

Darn You UTUBE!!1:mad:
Match 1:

Ewwwww quality! :urg:

0:10 - You rolled right onto a banana, you should have been punished for it.

0:15 - I'm assuming that was an accidental jab

0:27 - Bad decision to do a running grab with the banana there

0:29 - Another jab:urg:

0:35-0:59 - You're staying on the ground to much and you get punished hard for it.

2:03 - It's a trap! don't throw a banana at a diddy that is charging his up B the barrels will attack you for a **** load of damage.

3:20 - :confused: You should have gotten punished harder for that but the diddy wanted to be fancy.

3:25 - Watch those running grabs onto banana's

3:40 - You wouldn't have gotten hit/died if you spaced that fair better.

3:50 - Jab sucks, don't use it.

4:05 - An off stage edge guard would have been better

4:23 - Don't use neutral on the ground to pick up banana's because if you miss you end up jabbing which leaves you really vulnerable. try using Ftilt to pick them up.

Match 2:

0:11 - Could have gotten a throw off by doing Uthrow or Fthrow.

0:19 - Failed to pick up tha banana, maybe you should try to mess around with them in training mode to get more comfortable with them

0: 48 - Should have landed on the platform

1:04 - not the best time to drill rush back onto the stage. I've seen it pay off before but not when the opponent is that far away from the edge.

1:08 - watch that roll into banana's

2:10 - your Dsmash got stale so the diddy lived rather long, but it looks like you realized that ebcause you used SL to kill.

2:39 - you got to stop dash attacking or dash grabbing into banana's you should be getting punished.

3:20 - could have lived with better DI

3:38 - when someone is above you on a platform the safest thing to do is the SH Uair x 3. Another good option would have been to thorugh some Nairs in becuase he was at a high percent. Usmash and FH Uair are not good options.

I conclusion, I think you need to be more aware of and comfortable with the bananas. The dash attacking and dash grabbing into them got you punished. Learn to Gldie toss and JC throw the banana's. Be a tad more defensive when he's holding a banana, jump around in the air and try to bait him into getting rid of it. you definitely spent too much time on the ground in these matches. When he's glide tossing towards you, you can do a grounded shuttle loop and the invincibility on the move will stop him in his tracks. Diddy has a lagless dash attack so it's really good for picking up bananas. Look for the perdicable dash attack that they do and just tornado them. Diddy mains are usually really obvious with their dash attacks, just wait for a banana to be on the floor in front of them. Lastly just keep practicing you DI. You're good but you have a lot of improving to do.

Hype

Smash Lord
Match 1:

I don't know this match up at all but I'll do my best to critique this vid.

0:05 - Too slow on the last hit of your Ftilt. I'm surprised he didn't just punish you from the front, I think he had time and it would have been safer.

0:07 - Missed your tech.

0:22 - That Dsmash was too perdictable, you've already used Dsmash 5 times in the first 20 seconds of the match. You ate a jab combo.

0:23 - :confused:I don't know what you were think with the tornado or the drill rush. Wrong input? you got punished by a charged Usmash.

0:34 - Try to perdict that laser he did the same thing earlier.

In conclusion, you used a lot of Dsmash. Far more than I use or would recommend using. Maybe your strategy was to get him off the stage early to get gimps. It worked though, and you should do what is working. That match was really short because you gimp his recovery twice and he died at low percent becuase of a bad DI.

Match 2:

0:12 - Way too high of a shuttle loop. Accidental tap jump im assuming?

0:13 - Watch you habbit of Dsmashing after a glide attack, good players will pick that up fast.

0:22 - Sometimes a Drill rush onto the stage works becasue it's unexpected and I think it shield pokes easily, but it usually doesn't work. You got punished by an Usmash

0:26 - :laugh: I like that dash attack thing

0:30 - Bthrow would have been better because of the gimp potential.

0:53 - Your opponent can easily get underneath that high shuttle loop an punish.

0:55 - Notice how he just waited in his shield. He knew you would Dsmash and he punished you with an Fsmash of his own.

1:09 - There you should have Dsmashed you had enough time. The back end (stronger hit) at the very edge of the map would have probably killed him unless he had great DI.

1:27 - Going under the stage with the glide from use SL usually ins't the safest thing. IT's usually used as a last resort because you can't do anything after the glide.

1:34 - Awful shuttle loop, he was no where near the hitbox. You died because of it.

1:56 - Good reaction for the 2nd shuttle loop

2:24 -Bad DI. I realize it was an unexpected hit, but try to make DI a reaction and you can do it in the hitlag.

2:47 - Go over and edge hog you freind when he's doing his tricks lol.

2:49 - Likely could have gotten a grab jab in unless your friend breaks out super fast.

4:27 - That was risky but it paid off. Probably a good risk to take.

Basically, you use Dsmash a lot. It's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you realize that it is punishable and a better opponent would have punished you a lot harder for it. Also you must realize that you will have to rely on gimps and SL to do you killing, but I think you already know that. Try mixing up you recovery with Drill rushes and Dimensional capes to the ledge. The first 2 hits of Bair is a really good way to set up for a Dsmash you should use that more. You're pretty good but keep practicing:)

Hype

Smash Lord
Hi I'm from England and I recently picked up MK about 3/4 weeks ago.
I held a tourney this past Saturday and I used MK throughout the tournament and made it too the grand final, and I know from these matches that I need to do some things better such as spacing. So I want to get critiqued as much as possible so I can improve on these mistakes.

(Just a bit of info before you watch these matches, Calzorz (the Snake player) is one of the best if not the best player in the UK, so I think I did okay against him in these matches)

Match 1&2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXtGluTPjf4

Match 3&4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJseuvW5nI0

Thanks guys. =]
Match 1:

0:16 - You could have waited a second then Uthrown and landed on the platform avioding the nade (keep in mind you would have slid forward to the edge of the stage if you waited a second).

0:36 - constant Dtilts doesn't work well. It looks like it would, but it doesn't. :(

0:51 - When a Snake dash attacks you with a nade Shield > Grab > wait sometimes > Uthrow omnigay. You had controller port priority it could have killed him right there.

1:00 don't Dtilt the nade!

1:04 - you should have punished with an Ftilt instead of rolled.

1:49 - Perdictable roll, you died because of it.

2:51 - You really didn't have to get hit by that.

2:57 - You air dodged right into that. You still had 2 jumps, you could have used them to get to the ground

2:34 - Don't roll so much it's REALLY punishable

3:52 - You almost Dtilted the nade for no reason:ohwell:

4:16 - He's now realized your bad habit of rolling and is punishing consistantly

Match 2:

5:34 - You should have went for the Dtilt lock here, it would have given you another 50+ damage.

6:07 - good use of tornado to push him off the platform:)

7:24 - Could have gotten the Dtilt lock again. For some reason he keeps DIing towards you + air dodging in that situation.

7:27 - :confused: I think you accidentally DI'd up.

7:32 - You should have just waited in the respawn area to stall time until the level changed because you're at more of an advantage in that transformation of the level.

I'm not gonna watch the other matches.

In conclusion your really good but there's a few things you could work on. He was punishing you a lot with the "Pull a nade and grab" strategy, I like to counter that with a FH rising dair but there are other ways, namely a grab of your own. The first game I noticed you were rolling too much but you didn't seem to have that problem in game 2. Maybe It was just because you were in the air a lot. Another good trick that works well when Snake has a nade at his feet is to do a grounded shuttle loop. The nade will blow up but you wont be harmed becuase of the invincibility on the grounded SL. So snake will get hit by the nade and the SL. Also, practise your juggling. When you knock snake into that air jump up so your right below him and do fast falling Uairs. If he air dodges just throw out an Nair. It's amazing once you;ve mastered this. Overall, I can tell your really good, you knew what you were doing and you read your opponent well.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Me too please. Beware hes not my main nor secondary or anything but I still wanna know if im good with mk or not.

Hype

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4iCB716yc&feature=related

critique my mk, please :\ i really wanna know how far my metagame is from usa :\
( i'm from amazonia, brazil )
1:07 - You should have followed him up in the air and used Uair to force the air dodge then punish. What you did worked but it's a much better trap to use a fast falling Uair.

1:11 - Again you should have followed him into the air

1:22 - :) Not attacking him was smart. It was good that you focussed on getting back to the stage above other things.

2:49 - Barely missed the sweetspot:ohwell:, A reverse shuttle loop could also have worked.

3:01 - A grounded SL would have been your best option here because of the invincibility

3:17 - You really got to follow him higher into the air. FF'ed Uair literally takes away ALL of his options. He can't out prioritize it if its spaced right and air dodges are easy to punish in the air.

3:49 - You could have broken out of that grab since you were at 0%, instead you took 35%.

4:10 - You should have cancelled your glide without the glide attack to aviod the mortar

4:29 - You should have noticed his shield was too large to poke. from there you has two good options. You could have either retreated away or retreated away right at the beginning and went back in.

Both of you played a really solid game.

Match 2:

5:21 - Usmash wouldn't be my follow up of choice. I guess it could work but you definitely have better options. Namely, an Nair as he air dodges into the ground.

6:37 - Well played

6:49 - You should have cancelled your glide and DI'd right

7:02 - Bad DI gave you a pretty low percent death. Sometimes on that part of the stage I purposely DI down so I hit the wall, maybe you were trying that.

7:15 - Nice job DI'ing out of the jab.

7:57 - Don't tornado on the ground like that. It won't shield poke unless your at the top of him. Also, the tornado has no landing lag if you fall from the right height (roughly the height of snake).

8:17 - You could have avioded that mortar if you held up

8:32 - Uthrow. You were right below a platform and he was at 180+ percent. I'd be surprised if he could live an Uthrow.

9:22 - Nice trick:laugh:

Over all you are extremely good. You're probably the best person I've critiqued so far (no offence other people). You read your opponent well, made really smart decisions and, with a few exeptions, DI'd great. One piece of advice I'll give you is to alway be conscience of where the Smashville platform is. Ground Shuttle loops become much safer when the platform is positioned where you can easily land on it. You also missed the sweetspot of your Nair on a number of occasions after Snake airdodged. Master the timing and you'll do much better. Extremely good MK:).

Hype

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0P8lN4oNFU

I used mk in a team friendly lol. Critique my mk. Even if hes not my main/second or anything lol.
Me too please. Beware hes not my main nor secondary or anything but I still wanna know if im good with mk or not.
For some reason I can't see your youtube video, It just says loading but never does. I'll try tomorrow/later and edit it into this post if I can see it.

Edit: and I've tried like 10 times.

Edit: Alright I can see it now.

Tbh this is hard to critique because there so much more going on. Also I'm not a teams player. I've alway had much mroe success in singles, but I'll do my best.

0:36 - you should have Fair'd his side B it beats both the attack and grab variations.

0:41 - You should have turned around and hit the diddy to help your teammate recover. Your teammate ended up taking like 80% and getting KO'd before he could touch the ground.

0:49 - Don't get hit by the egg. Grounded shuttle loop or Dair ought to do the trick.

0:55 - After the first egg you should have dropped off the edge into an Nair or Dair for the stage spike.

2:22 - Messed up your spacing on Uair and got punished.

2:36 - You walked into the nade

2:53 - Nice way to use the platform

3:02 - :confused: I don't know what happened there you like teleported into a trip

3:04 - Lack of communication, you should have done some **** team combo there (i.e. Snake grab release > MK grab > Snake Fsmash).

It's really hard for me to gauge how good you are because teams is way different from singles. I can tell that your not bad because you didn't do anything really stupid in the match and you knew the basics of the character. I really can't tell much mroe from this vid sorry.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I found working, not-slow-as-**** internet in Brazil! Too bad I won't be able to use it again after tonight... lol

What is there to critique? Use the B button, no one can gimp you, and your character is ******** off the stage. lol.
You should take trolling lessons from Gates. The man's a master.

nevershootme

Smash Master

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
@kingz-night-mare

Hey, I took a look at your first video, I'd watch the rest but i gotta sleep for work. I have a decent amount of experience with the snake match up, and I got my MK critiqued here too, so I have a few of those tips handy too.

*Shuttle Loop Snake's up b! Just get right up in his face and SL. You'll hit the cypher on your way up, and it'll reset your jumps (or just your up b if you used them all). Do not use this if you believe snake can let go of the cypher, air dodge, and DI back to the stage. You'll die. But when you see the opportunity, go for it FAST. even if he dodges, if you go quick enough, you'll hit the escaping cypher.

You had opportunities for this maneuver at 0:50, 2:26 (jump out and chase after the throw, if he still up b's, go for the SL), 3:15 (SH into the stage :-p), 3:22

*When you are over 90%, beware the Boot of Destiny (utilt). You lost two lives to it. You protected your third by down dodging, which effectively won you the match (you were at 100-ish, you would have died). Just be wary of it, it has a much bigger range than it needs to have. (boots at 2:11, 2:54, and a good save at 4:30)

*watch out for attacking or throwing when he has grenades. it hurts a lot :-(. Ftilt and dtilt are pretty good at nailing him without getting hit by a grenade. If you rush him and he shields, some snakes have escape patterns. A friend of mine will always dodge roll towards me after shield-dropping a grenade. Though most snakes won't be that easy to nail. I'm also not the best at preventing myself from attacking those annoying things >.>

*****GREAT TORNADO KILL!

Hope it helped!

-Tuen

Coffee™

I need it....

Eyes

Smash Rookie
Yo whats up guys. I just picked up metaknight about two weeks ago and here is a recent vid I got against my friends falco. Let me know what you guys think...

MK vs Falco

Jupz

Smash Master
Yo whats up guys. I just picked up metaknight about two weeks ago and here is a recent vid I got against my friends falco. Let me know what you guys think...

MK vs Falco

Your MK is pretty good, just a few things I noticed:

Don't use Nair on the ground unless your right next to your opponent. A few times you tried to approach them with it and this could easily get outranged. Use Nair and Dair offstages, not Fair. :)

Palpi

Smash Hero
Peach match-up critiquing can wait until you get metaknights basics down.

If you opponent is consistantly DI'ing up from your down- throw, do up-airs if it is close enough. D-throw is one of metaknights most deadly things he can throw out if DI'd incorrectly. There should always be one option from a d-throw whether it is U-air, dash to fair, Dash attack, dash grab or nado, something can and should always work. (Given not high percents.)

Peach is very floaty so metaknight's normal followups from a dash attack, like turnaround regrab or nair may make it seem like dash attack is rendered less useful, but you are in perfect position to u-air or shuttle loop after the dash attack.

D-AIR MORE I am not saying play gay but not many character's can handle dair above them, regardless if you hit or not, an openings for metaknight's pain train can and often will open up.

Stop rolling, spot dodging, and spamming down-smash so much.

Utilize Metaknights tilts. F-tilt has excellent range and is great for spacing. D-tilt trips and can be followed up by a dash grab.

Against a more competant player / character your constant rolling and spot dodging would have been punished a lot more.

Palpi

Smash Hero
So I recently realize I love metaknight! I'm going to get more videos soon, hopefully of me getting owned for a better critique! :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkFKF3lwolE
You are dodging way too much. Metaknight doesn't need to dodge a lot considering his range and priority on most of his attacks, a lot of your options are safe even if you you think your opponent might hit you. Don't drill for an attack. Don't try to use up-smash, it is easily DI'd out of.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
omg i finally got offline footage of my mk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0twowDded0

don't be too harsh.. that was my first offline match ever against a human opponent

edit: oh God srry. I was a little high off my migrane medicine. Disregard. >.> :(

@

earthadept

lol what's with all the b-air at the start? He isn't Kirby/Jiggz (and u should be thankful)

F-air is so much better, and it's okay to stale it.

You need to DI more. Use u-air and d-air for momentum canciling. Mk is really good at that ****.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
That wasn't even funny
Give meh a break, I was high. At least it was coherent. You should of seen the drunk post I made on the Puff boards awhile back, >.>

At any rate... when I go to my first tourny I will see if I can friendly someone to get offline footage, altho I have been focusing on Kirby now, and have been neglecting MK so idk. This will change when I move and he's not banned. It's funny... I use to use Jigglypuff... but she is outclassed by Kirby. I'm playing Kirby... but he is outclassed by Meta knight...

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
@ Bloodcross
1st game
When edge guarding kirby, you can do two things. get him above and in front you within SL distance. other than his D-air, nothing he has can beat it out. If he commits to anything like those hammers at 3:29 you would have killed him with SL. If he airdodges you get SL, nair or dair. Or you can d-air camp him. force him to waste his jumps, and if he tries to recover low he is a prime target for SL or pretty much anything. just watch out for his d-air and time your attack to hit right after if he tries it.

also just being near him when hes recovering can pressure him to air-dodge or do something unsafe. Dont run away and let him get a free pass to the stage like at 3:50.
theres no real need to reset spacing against kirby just dont let him get right up on you.

this kirby really never tried to grab you. thats really what he has on you in this match-up

pummel during grabs. the extra damage and refresh of other moves is really helpful

dont nado kirby so much. its not very helpful in this match-up

you also glide too much. kirby as well as many other characters can punish this

dont dash grab so often. Kirby doesnt stay grounded very often and it will wiff alot. it is good to use grab to punish but his grab range is longer than yours. Also use dash -> shield -> grab as metas standing grab has more range, is faster, and has less lag than his dash grab

pivot grab isnt very useful against kirby as he doesnt groung approach

@0:34 you powershielded a poorly spaced backair and did nothing. N-air out of shield would be great here
@0:37 SH D-air would be a better option than d-smash. you wanna try to save it for the kill
@0:45 grounded SL would have been much better than up-tilt
@2:14 Dash attack or dash grab to punish wiffed inhale
@2:20-2:25 those sh d-airs werent really nessecary and if the kirby was closer he could have punished you with b-airs
@2:28 nair OoS > d-smash
@2:34 no need to start a glide that close
@2:42 f-tilt or grab > d-smash at those percents
@2:57 rising dair would have beaten out that back-air
@3:00 another unpunished inhale
@3:10 what was with that glide?
@3:29 he should have eaten SL
@3:32 you didnt punish his d-air lag. i would have used reverse d-smash, f-tilt or grab
@4:18 nair is better for punishing up-b lag then dair
@4:29 you had him dead if you d-smashed instead of f-smashed
@4:58 dont use d-air to space kirby. retreating fairs are safe against kirby where as d-airs arent
@5:45 went for a glide for some reason and got punished by b-air
@5-53 failed glide < kirby f-smash
@5:57 glide got you b-aired again
@ 6:07 glide got you f-smashed again. he was directly below you and you cant hit them with glide attack anyway
@6:20 yay N-air OoS!
@6:23 his hammer had "Shuttle Loop me plz" written all over it, that would have been game
@6:28 you still had 4 jumps left! why reverse SL??

it appears that neither you nor the kirby knew the match-up however you play falco so thats understandable
the biggest thing i can say is STOP GLIDING. its getting you wrecked. also practice edge guarding more. you can gimp kirby and you would have taken his stocks much earlier with well places SLs

dont have time to do the second video

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
hahaha wow 1. match 2. stock : where was your DI ?? :)
2. match was so funny and sry but i do not know the match-ups from G&W
but i can say it was a very good G&W so don't worry, mybe playing not so aggressiv aginst him .^^

sorry for may bad english (Germany)

Top Bottom