• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

Splice

Smash Hero
But Game and Watch is a bad character...
No, GaWs viability is being sacrificed so that we can have more stages so all the ACTUALLY TERRIBLE CHARACTERS don't get owned. GaW has to put up with this terribly restricted stage list for all of you. Such a shame.

Honestly guys, I think you should all just take a page out of my good friend Bob Marley(and also Peter Tosh)'s book...

Don't criticize it, Legalize it

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
So i got 3/4 of the way through paper mario in like one day.

waaaaah i have no life ~

I havent touched smash either since i went up to rickys last too lol. should probably practice a tiny bit

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
on the contrary, i don't have to elaborate at all, because i'm arguing a popular status quo.

but just for your information:

disabling characters: first that springs to mind would be olimar on summit. i don't need to explain, but i'm pretty sure it would be a very sad match to watch. you get the picture.
This is why we have stage bans, stop playing bad characters. Summit is broken anyway thanks to circle camping and the fish (overcentraling), so whatever. Otherwise you should be banning Frigate because it ***** Ivysaur. No double standards.

gayness: as determined by our community's accepted notion of gayness. i should win because i'm better, not cause i can abuse game flaws or oversights. the ledge grab limit was already introduced because of this reason, so don't try try to argue its part of the game we should deal with.

and just btw, lucky extends way past warioware and picto. the cars coming when you're recovering on port town is the first example i can think of.
This is a bad reason and you should feel bad.

First of all, "gayness" is completely subjective.

Second of all, that doesn't happen on Port Town, with the rare occasion of when the cars pass under the track during ONE SPECIFIC transition.

I'm beginning to wonder if any of you have actually played Port Town seriously. If you're playing with a brain, you don't get hit by cars unless your opponent hits you into them.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
The ONLY reason I am against banning mk is because the us has him legal. When I make a trip over there, I'd like to almost bE competitive. Similar to the main reason on want Fd back on starters.

In other news, Tibor isn't coming, so I'll need a teammate or two... Volunteers?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
If Gary isn't going i'll team with you.

Also, just doing normal Doubles/Singles since new people are coming plus people still want to be good at this game etc

Schedule in a sec.

Do people want PS2/RC/JJ/Nofair as legal Singles stages?

Attila_

BRoomer
Rc and ps2. Japes too. No norfair. Pity Tibor has strategically avoided every tourney I've been at for three months; he knows I'll knock him out :)

Splice

Smash Hero
And why not Norfair Attila? Whilst you can camp on it, you can't get into any REAL safe position, it's very hard to hold ground because of the 3 layers, so it doesn't overpower camping. And if you approach characters who are planking the top two bits from the lowest section, Their planking is less effective than on a normal stage. If they plank at the bottom then it's just as good as on a normal stage.

Only thing I can still foresee you being worried about is MK. To be honest I've never taken note of those things that he can apparently do on Norfair because it's way unviable. He can't really circle camp. I mean if there is 30 seconds left then he will probably have an easier time taking no damage than on Battlefield, but even if he has the lead it can be dealt with. I'm pretty sure even Ganon can catch him. Maybe not Bowser though. And all those other shennanigans I've seen are pretty bad/dont work except he can Drill cancel into Nair pretty easy which is annoying if you are at way high %'s and his Nair isn't diminished. D3 apparently has an infinite here but I dont know how hard it is and who it works on and i havent seen it done. Also we dont have a D3 except Conor, so Conor should learn it. If it works.

... I think all the stages you mentioned should be legal Conor.

Attila_

BRoomer
because if at any point i lose the percent lead to a character who can ledge, then the game is over.

and yes, circle camping is hella easy there.

Splice

Smash Hero
because if at any point i lose the percent lead to a character who can ledge, then the game is over.
Fallacy.

Your character can control the stage very well with nades and mines, even if they are planking this is effective. Standing on the platform below the one they are using to plank and Utilting with Snake is affective and your mines and nades are still effective. Your Uair and Nair are more useful then ever because you can choose how to approach them. I really dont think there are any characters that cant deal with planking on this stage, unless they are characters that cant deal with it on neutrals and such either because they are terrible.

and yes, circle camping is hella easy there.
Kinda true.

if we add this stage and the others, then yes this would be the best stage for circle camping. I think Falco can do it (although if you learn the spacing of the invincibility/vulnerable framse of his sideB, which you should anyway so this is a good reason to, you can catch him when he does this therefore limiting his circle camping immensely) and Metaknight. I personally think it can be dealt with though, for over 50% of the cast. Projectiles help, and so does being a good character. but I can understand you fearing circle camping. But no-one will put it off succesfully, and even if they practice it I don't think they will. Because I think it can be dealt with. Lets see!

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Planking's not too huge of a problem on Norfair.

^courtesy of Raziek.

Norfair's fun. And because I like having fun I think it should be legal. :)

Splice

Smash Hero
I wish I had the power of creating images like that. Would make explaining easier.

But yeah that should be pretty obvious guys.

tibs7

Smash Champion
I'm coming but it will be later for dinner
cao don't forget to make the reservation!!!

Attila_

BRoomer
Razeik is a noob if he thinks planking on norfair is nor legit. It's the entire reason the stage was banned in the first place.

And yes, let's jump off stage and hit with our other aerials; that'll work. Noob. Characters can jump from ledge to ledge, meaning you can't hit them unless you go off too.

And splice, snake utilt has NO hotbox under the stage, so it would never hit anyone ledging unless they stayed on the ledge outside their invincibility. Dtilt and fsmash hit slightly below the stage, but won't hut most sweetspotters, and leave snake vulnerable. C4 is very similar. I have messed around with all snakes edgeguards pretty extensively, and quite frankly, he can't do much if they don't wanna come back on stage.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
As we have a ledge grab limit rule I don't see what any of you are worried about.
"Oh noes, he's on the ledge in an extremely strong position, guess that means I better approach and try and hit him off. I mean it's not like not approaching and letting the timer run out wouldn't guarantee me a win if he uses that tactic or anything"

If MK grabs the edge and starts to abuse his AMAZING planking game (or not amazing whatever), just walk away and let him time the game out. Free wins are the best type of wins.

PS: If you actually run off the edge to chase him that means, you are at my level of Smash and possibly have ADD.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Trippy T's don't do reservations and it closes too early so I'll be swithcing the restaurant to Los Amates (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/761163/restaurant/Victoria/Los-Amates-Fitzroy). I'll be finishing Melee before 8 and packing up much of the equipment that's no longer needed at the time.

Reservations: It's too difficult to make reservations for a Smash group, but I'll call up the place soonish to make a holding for 15-20 people and adjust this on the day according to circumstance.

Here's the menu for those interested!
http://www.losamates.com.au/hnota.aspx?4,1

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Just thought I should clear a misconception up, that picture isn't mine, it was just in one of my threads.

Secondly, if you truly believe you can circle camp and plank Norfair forever, prove it. The lava covers the stage more than often enough to impede it.

Innocent until proven guilty, people. *shrugs*

swordsaint

Smash Master
Raziek, would I be mistaken to assume that you can stay inside the lava using ledge snaps and ledge invincibility?

Assuming someone grabbed a ledge, dropped from it to grab the next quick enough to get the ledge drop invincibility.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I know you can stay in the lava using powershielding and/or counter, but I don't know if ledgesnaps alone will do it. I'll look into this.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero

C~Dog

Smash Champion
We're doing Normal Doubles and then Normal Singles, with this stagelist:

Starter
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium
Counterpick
  • [*]Final Destination
    [*]Castle Siege
    [*]Delfino Plaza
    [*]Halberd
    [*]Frigate Orpheon
    [*]Brinstar
    [*]Pictochat
    [*]Pokémon Stadium 2
    [*]Rainbow Cruise
    [*]Jungle Japes
    [*]Norfair
2 stage bans per player/team per set.

All other stages are banned.

Splice

Smash Hero
Rules are perfect.

Something inside of me is 99% sure they won't stay like this.

BUT WHATEVER IT'S AWESOME CONOR MAD HYPEE FOR Nov6

Top Bottom